Irons vs Iron - My OL CistaFUSE Beta Log w HST!

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
Hey Guys!
Stoked to be doing this log.

About me -
Weight: 212
Height: 6'1"
BF: 12.5%

History -
I've been training since high school on and off, but got serious about it 5 years ago.
I've used Ostarine and Laxogenin products in the past with mixed results. I have to stay within the parameters of the natty lifestyle due to my career so my options are fairly limited. I just finished a cycle with BlackStone Labs Anogenin a couple of weeks ago, and I'll be sticking to just the staples and CistaFUSE for this log.

Staples -
Multivitamin
Fish Oil
D3

The only other supp I'll be taking is CistaFUSE; Olympus Labs new Cistanche Deserticola product. I've been lucky enough to be selected as a beta tester and I'm hoping to add it at the start of week 2. This should provide a great contrast for comparison after having a couple of weeks to establish a control.

Diet -
BMR: 2,105 kcal
TDEE: 3,262 kcal
Rest Day Cals: 3,000-3,500 kcal
Training Day Cals: 3,500-4,000 kcal
Training Day Macros: P224g C566g F84g (I double the fat and half the carbs for rest days, protein stays the same)

Objective -
My goal is to bulk while staying as lean as possible. Kind of a Recomp+
You know...add 25lbs of LBM and lose 7%BF in 4 weeks. lol Oh wait...I may have forgot my magic lamp.
Depending on the training cycle I'm typically able to add 3-4 pounds of LBM in an 8 week cycle, so anything above that is icing. I personally like to keep the calorie ranges fairly liberal and listen to my body. Keeps things fresh for me and definitely increases the sustainability factor.

Water -
1+ gallons /day

Training -
The last 8 weeks have been dedicated to a hybrid Power/Athletic program varying between 4-12 reps in pyramid/reverse-pyramid fashion. Emphasis was on compound movements and power lifts. I got good results in both size and strength departments. I'm gearing up for the spring rugby season so focus is switching to hypertrophy for the next 8 weeks, then back to power before a big cut pre-April.
I'm currently 2 days into my 8 weeks of HST.
If your interested in more info on HST; CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE for a link to my daily training log. If there's anything additional you would like to see tracked please let me know and I'll be sure to add it. I'll be making posts in this thread from time to time as well including mostly subjective feedback about things I notice with CistaFUSE and how I'm feeling going forward.
I expect it will be a couple weeks before seeing any quantitative results, but I'm excited to get things going.

I'll update as soon as the Cista shows up at my door!

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
S U B ' D

I know little about cistanche, lots of guys sure dug cistamax. Giddyup!

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's your career path Mule?

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Subbed, is there a write up on this product you can post?

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
Subbed, is there a write up on this product you can post?
I asked that same question. Lol
Unfortunately, no.

My understanding is its a straight cistanche deserticola extract coupled with the PhytoFUSE delivery system.
From OL regarding PhytoFUSE:
Not only does PhytoFUSETM technology help with absorption & bioavailability, but it also helps with distribution of the phytoFUSED ingredient in the body!

I'm trying to find out more about it before it shows up, and I'll post what I learn.

I can tell you that the clinical trials I've read so far have mostly found (+)endurance related results.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Tried cista a few times in the past, interested to see how this goes.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
What did you get out of it in the past?
Nothing ergogenic-wise.

But I dose it (not the OL stuff) prior to carby meals now, heard it might have gda/partitioning properties...but I always run it with ABE and/or Amf so who knows...I got 5 bottles to get through lol

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
Had a GI bug yesterday, using today to recover. Feeling back to normal again now. Can't wait to hit the weights hard in the afternoon!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Had a GI bug yesterday, using today to recover. Feeling back to normal again now. Can't wait to hit the weights hard in the afternoon!
A day of rest will make you hit it harder tomorrow

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I ran HST a few years back...which version/template you doing?

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
I ran HST a few years back...which version/template you doing?
Went back to the original for this one. Straight off the HST site.

I've got it outlined in the training log.
You can check it out HERE

I'm guessing you didn't care for it much if you don't use t anymore?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Went back to the original for this one. Straight off the HST site.

I've got it outlined in the training log.
You can check it out HERE

I'm guessing you didn't care for it much if you don't use t anymore?
It was ok, the science behind it is sound.

But...I prefer non linear periodisation (PHAT, for example).

Also, through trial and error, Ive found I respond best to very high frequency (higher than HST).

Just an individual thing.

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
It was ok, the science behind it is sound.

But...I prefer non linear periodisation (PHAT, for example).

Also, through trial and error, Ive found I respond best to very high frequency (higher than HST).

Just an individual thing.
Good to know.
Any input towards my layout? This is my first HST cycle.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Good to know.
Any input towards my layout? This is my first HST cycle.
If its your first run of it then I would try and stick as close as possible to the basic template, injury/idiosyncrosies aside.

Only thing that stuck out at me with your template is deads...conventional, or RDL/SLDL? Personally Id be wary of dling more than once or twice per week, especially with all the squatting and bent rows.

From memory, though, intensity is ramped over each rep range cycle? You may be ok if that is the case.

Will likely depend on how well you can handle the weekly lower back volume, and how important to you your dl numbers are...didnt the OG template recommend RDL or SLDL?

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In for this one.

Can you please include info on your body temp and sweating (no need to measure, just how you feel)?

thanks

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
If its your first run of it then I would try and stick as close as possible to the basic template, injury/idiosyncrosies aside.

Only thing that stuck out at me with your template is deads...conventional, or RDL/SLDL? Personally Id be wary of dling more than once or twice per week, especially with all the squatting and bent rows.

From memory, though, intensity is ramped over each rep range cycle? You may be ok if that is the case.

Will likely depend on how well you can handle the weekly lower back volume, and how important to you your dl numbers are...didnt the OG template recommend RDL or SLDL?
Low back feels good so far...but it's early. I plan to work some RDLs in if the bottom half of my posterior chain starts feeling neglected. I have noticed though, kicking it off with squats and deads is a killer. Really a lot of energy expended in the first 15minutes. I feel incredible by the time the workout's done...good and tight from head to toe. Completely zapped, but good.

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
In for this one.

Can you please include info on your body temp and sweating (no need to measure, just how you feel)?

thanks
Welcome!!

I will definitely include any changes.
For a baseline, I stay fairly dry. I usually have a good bead of sweat on my head by the time I get through the squats/deads portion of my routine...but not much more than that unless I'm doing hiit or other intense cardio. Enough to leave some dew on the bench but not dripping by any means.

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
Wow! I've NEVER had a GI bug wipe me out for this long. Ever. But this thing is kicking my ass. It's like it shut my whole GI system down and just refuses to start back up. I've barely eaten anything since Thursday...anything I do eat I'm still burping up 12 hours later. I never get sick so I guess I had this coming, but this is brutal. I'm just thankful it happened before starting my actual Cista log!!

So...in lieu of all of these recent changes; there's been a slight change in my approach. Being that I'm only two days in to my program, I've decided to kybosh my progress and kick things off with a week of (unexpected) strategic deconditioning. I'll be re-starting the outlined program once things return to homeostasis.
Thanks again to everyone for subscribing...I PROMISE you won't be disappointed once things get going. If anything, it's just going to be that much more of a challenge now with my induced starvation / lack of physical output, kickoff to this thing.
I'll really need you Cista!!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Wow! I've NEVER had a GI bug wipe me out for this long. Ever. But this thing is kicking my ass. It's like it shut my whole GI system down and just refuses to start back up. I've barely eaten anything since Thursday...anything I do eat I'm still burping up 12 hours later. I never get sick so I guess I had this coming, but this is brutal. I'm just thankful it happened before starting my actual Cista log!!

So...in lieu of all of these recent changes; there's been a slight change in my approach. Being that I'm only two days in to my program, I've decided to kybosh my progress and kick things off with a week of (unexpected) strategic deconditioning. I'll be re-starting the outlined program once things return to homeostasis.
Thanks again to everyone for subscribing...I PROMISE you won't be disappointed once things get going. If anything, it's just going to be that much more of a challenge now with my induced starvation / lack of physical output, kickoff to this thing.
I'll really need you Cista!!
Hope you feel better soon

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
First day back in the gym today. Hit a little bit of everything just to get my parts moving again after a week off.
Honestly it probably was a bit of a blessing in disguise. Can't remember the last full week I actually took off from lifting.
I felt good...dragged a little, but less than expected. Stoked to start the HST program over at day 1 tomorrow.
Hoping the Cista will show up between weeks 1 and 2. It'll make for a great contrast.
So far, planning to take 2 caps pwo. Not positive on dosing yet, just following GNO's recommendation.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First day back in the gym today. Hit a little bit of everything just to get my parts moving again after a week off.
Honestly it probably was a bit of a blessing in disguise. Can't remember the last full week I actually took off from lifting.
I felt good...dragged a little, but less than expected. Stoked to start the HST program over at day 1 tomorrow.
Hoping the Cista will show up between weeks 1 and 2. It'll make for a great contrast.
So far, planning to take 2 caps pwo. Not positive on dosing yet, just following GNO's recommendation.
Sorry if there was any confusion, the sample is actually powdered (unflavored). The taste should be fine, but you can mix it with anything.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Diet - BMR: 2,105 kcal
TDEE: 3,262 kcal
Rest Day Cals: 3,000-3,500 kcal
Training Day Cals: 3,500-4,000 kcal
Training Day Macros: P224g C566g F84g (I double the fat and half the carbs for rest days, protein stays the same)

This !!!! Good idea on the rest days !

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Late but im in!!! Im really excited to see what phytofused cista can do.

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
First day back in HST was TOUGH!
I restated the program on "Day 1" with the same weights as outlined with the original spreadsheet. Took me an hour and a half, but I finally got through it.
Squats then Deads absolutely killed me. Both from a metabolic and respiratory acidosis standpoint. I went in with a full head of steam today, good nutrition earlier in the day, and the worlds best pwo: Adderall (my own Rx of course) only to find myself dealing with CNS exhaustion and a body that wanted to give up...and that was just the halfway point.
My goal has been for 30-60sec rest periods and I can tell you that did not happen. More like 2-3 minutes, until I gave myself a 10 minute breather; then I stayed more in line with 60-90secs.
I know that I chose a very ambitious program lineup with tough weights and increments for me. But that was intentional. I got chosen for this log and as such, the least I can do is push myself to give you guys the best results possible to find out what this Cista can...or cannot do.
If I were to stick with this program without any supplemental assistance, I would probably be looking to either lower my starting weights or switch back and forth between squats / deads each session...not both.
The only tweak I'm making is instead of two sets of sqauts, then two sets of deads, I'm going to drop one set. So two sqauts and one dead, then swap that for the next day. What do you guys think?? Sound legit or am I copping out early?
All of the studies I've read point to the possibility for endurance related gains from Cista...I'm really hoping this is the case.

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
Are you ramping intensity/%RM?
CLICK HERE for the spreadsheet with my 15, 10, and 5RM numbers and also the increments the weights go up by each session.
There are also tabs for each session, but the main outline is on the first page.

The short answer to your question is yes. I found my 15, 10, and 5RMs then worked backwards by roughly 90% each session for each two week rep-range-cycle.
I hope that makes sense. So my big lifts go up by 10lbs each week and my accessory / smaller lifts go up by 5lbs.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
So if Im reading you right, if a lifts #rm is 200lb for 15reps, your first session used a weight considerably lighter, and you build to your RM over each session?

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
So if Im reading you right, if a lifts #rm is 200lb for 15reps, your first session used a weight considerably lighter, and you build to your RM over each session?
Correct.
Which is hard, because the 15RM is factored as a single set of an isolated lift. Not two sets amid a full-body session.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Correct.
Which is hard, because the 15RM is factored as a single set of an isolated lift. Not two sets of a full-body session.
Hmmm, well thats odd you are getting so fatigued early on...I mean, youre lifting, say, a 25rm for only 15 reps

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
Hmmm, well thats odd you are getting so fatigued early on...I mean, youre lifting, say, a 25rm for only 15 reps
Right, probably closer to 20RM but I'm doing two sets with minimal rest, plus the remainder of the workout. Factor on top of that the strategic deconditioning over the last week...it was tough.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Right, probably closer to 20RM but I'm doing two sets with minimal rest, plus the remainder of the workout. Factor on top of that the strategic deconditioning over the last week...it was tough.
Yeah, its been a while since I ran it and I cant remember too many specifics, so Im being a bit of a pencil pusher and going pretty much by how I assume/imagine running those numbers would be. Didnt intend to belittle your efforts :)

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
Yeah, its been a while since I ran it and I cant remember too many specifics, so Im being a bit of a pencil pusher and going pretty much by how I assume/imagine running those numbers would be. Didnt intend to belittle your efforts :)
All good. I'm not easy to offend. I totally understand how it looks at first glance. That's the same thing I thought when first looking over it. I was surprised how hard it was when it was all put together. Mostly the squats and deads back to back...gasses me out and it's an uphill battle from there.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I do know what you mean with squats and deads back to back. I did that when running PHAT, but big difference is I could have decent rest periods between sets.

If doing squats and deads gets too much, ie negatively effects the progression of the program, Id consider alternating as you suggested, or switching off the floor deads for RDLs.

believer

believer

Awards
  • Established
I remedy that by hitting a small upper body exercise in between the two big lower body movements.

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
BOOM!!!

Waiting on some of the final details before starting. But I'm hoping to have the first dose down tomorrow.

Reactions: GNO
Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
Gave blood today. Decent DOMS mostly in my quads and hams. Pumped for tomorrow's Cista launch.
Starting with one scoop PWO, then I'll likely up it to two in a few days.

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Gave blood today. Decent DOMS mostly in my quads and hams. Pumped for tomorrow's Cista launch.
Starting with one scoop PWO, then I'll likely up it to two in a few days.
Excited to see how this treats you

Irons_Mule

Irons_Mule

Awards
First serving of CistaFUSE on board! Took with 10oz. of water. Ate some eggs and sausage about 3 hours ago. Session starts in 30min.