Jim's Powerlifting Training

Page 2 of 50 First 1234 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    What PL program are you using, or are you cooking this up yourself?
    It's a Westside style programming that I do myself for my wife and I.

2. DE Bench

Bench Press (pinky on ring): 120 x 3 x 25

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAI2VhIMv4G/

DB French Press: 60 x 8 x 2, 60 x 5

DB Bench: 60 x 12, 60 x 10

a1. Grenade Chin-up: BW x 9 x 2, BW x 8
    a2. Pullapart: Red x 20 x 3

Took right at an hour today. Don't have my training log on me, and I don't remember how long the bench took. I think it was around 9 minutes or so.
    •   

3. ME Lower:

Low Bar Squat: work to 255 x 5

https://www.instagram.com/p/BALbrUVsv-o/

Banded GHR: Green x 7, Red x 11, Red x 10

Low Back Pull Through: AVG x 25 x 2

Rollouts: BW x 8 x 3

Squats felt pretty good today. Haven't squatted wide regularly since the injury, but it felt comfortable'. Could likely have gone heavier, but didn't have a lot of time today and wanted to get the volume in for the assistance.

4. ME Bench

Wide Grip Bench (pointer on ring): work to 175 x 6

VBar Pushdown: 60 x 15, 50 x 20, 50 x 18

Strict DB Row: 60 x 8, 70 x 8
    Kroc: 80 x 18

a1. Elevated Pushup: BW x 20 x 2
    a2. Rear Delt Swing: 25 x 20 x 2

5. Wide grip bench sucks BTW. Wanted to get some more volume in, along with biceps but had to leave for work. Bleh.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Wide grip bench sucks BTW. Wanted to get some more volume in, along with biceps but had to leave for work. Bleh.
    What don't you like about it? I've never consistently done it tbh.

7. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Wide grip bench sucks BTW. Wanted to get some more volume in, along with biceps but had to leave for work. Bleh.
    I can confidently say that I will never push any raw benching to the chest outside of pinkies on the ring again in my life. It's a big risk IMO.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

8. Quote Originally Posted by liftandswim View Post
    What don't you like about it? I've never consistently done it tbh.
    No drive off of the chest, and a decent amount of pressure on the joints.

Not an issue for this rep range but, based on how it felt today, going heavier could definitely be an issue for a lot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    I can confidently say that I will never push any raw benching to the chest outside of pinkies on the ring again in my life. It's a big risk IMO.
    For sure.

I only used it as a main movement because the accumulation volume is higher for the max lift. I don't suspect it will be a movement that I would ever do for less than 6 or so reps.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    No drive off of the chest, and a decent amount of pressure on the joints.

Not an issue for this rep range but, based on how it felt today, going heavier could definitely be an issue for a lot of people.

For sure.

I only used it as a main movement because the accumulation volume is higher for the max lift. I don't suspect it will be a movement that I would ever do for less than 6 or so reps.
    Totally with you on that. It did seem to benefit me off the chest when I did wide one board for 5s and 6s. Not as much as choosing the right bar weight and sticking with speed work against minis helped though.
    Training log:

10. Even pinkies on rings is too far out for me. Just inside is my max unless I'm doing 50% or so.
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

11. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    Even pinkies on rings is too far out for me. Just inside is my max unless I'm doing 50% or so.
    Pinkies on rings was my competition grip for a long time.

I've recently brought it in to try and keep my wrists above my elbows on the chest. I find that to be more comfortable and just as strong.

We'll see if that changes at all as I get closer to the meet though.

12. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Pinkies on rings was my competition grip for a long time.

I've recently brought it in to try and keep my wrists above my elbows on the chest. I find that to be more comfortable and just as strong.

We'll see if that changes at all as I get closer to the meet though.
    I agree. Oddly, the pinkies on rings feels ok to me on incline.
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

13. I was thinking of throwing in a few sets of WGBP next block (in the 6-10 rep range). But now I may be reconsidering

14. Quote Originally Posted by liftandswim View Post
    I was thinking of throwing in a few sets of WGBP next block (in the 6-10 rep range). But now I may be reconsidering
    Safety first, homie.
    Training log:

15. Quote Originally Posted by liftandswim View Post
    I was thinking of throwing in a few sets of WGBP next block (in the 6-10 rep range). But now I may be reconsidering
    Depends on how healthy your shoulders are.

I intend to rotate it through as my high stress chest/shoulder assistance movement.

But I'm not sure even I could do it for a whole block, especially when there are likely other options that could provide the same benefit.

16. Just a little gym update:

I've hinted at some of the stuff I've got going on for my shed, but haven't really explained much on here.

I made an order with Edge Fitness Systems for a squat rack, belt squat machine, cambered bar, vertical bar storage, dip attachment for rack, selectorized Pulldown/low Row, GHD, and Reverse Hyper.

It all should have gone to the powder coater yesterday, and he said it would take him a few days to crate everything up for shipping.

So I'm hoping to have everything late next week, or the week after.

So today, I am building a platform to bolt the rack onto (will be flush with the matting already on the floor).

Got a coat of stain+poly on it currently. Have a logo I will be painting onto it later tonight when the poly sets, and then I'll put another coat or two of clear polyurethane. I hope to have it set into the floor tomorrow or Sunday.

Attached Images Attached Images  

17. You don't think the multiple coats of poly will make it too slippery?

18. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    You don't think the multiple coats of poly will make it too slippery?
    I doubt it will be.

I only think that would be a problem if it were to get wet, but even if it does it just takes a quick wipe with a towel.

The poly should help it last longer, along with just looking much higher quality.

19. If you dont mind me asking..how much was the belt squat machine? Its like the one thing my gym doesn't have and id use the **** out of that thing. I'm thinking of trying to get them to buy one.
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

20. Btw, sounds like your gonna have a pretty badass setup man. Consider me jealous.
    Training log:

21. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    Btw, sounds like your gonna have a pretty badass setup man. Consider me jealous.
    I'm already jealous of his current set-up. And he's adding more all the time it seems like

22. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    If you dont mind me asking..how much was the belt squat machine? Its like the one thing my gym doesn't have and id use the **** out of that thing. I'm thinking of trying to get them to buy one.
    A lot lol.

$2000. Cheaper than getting it elsewhere, but not a whole lot.

23. Quote Originally Posted by liftandswim View Post
    I'm already jealous of his current set-up. And he's adding more all the time it seems like
    Yeah, there isn't anything wrong with what I have now. This really all started just to get a smaller rack so I could fit a reverse hyper lol.

Shouldn't be much more after this, honestly this about maxes out my space.

Only thing on my wish list would be assorted barbells and heavier Dumbbells when the time comes that I'd need them.

24. Fatbells? Herder you liked em didn't you?
    Training log:

25. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    Fatbells? Herder you liked em didn't you?
    I don't know what they would add over dumbbells.

If they had more weight options (and heavier), I'd probably consider them. They look like they could be great to replace heavy dumbbells, but they just don't come in a weight breakdown where that would be feasible.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM
  2. Powerlifting Training Styles
    By MEH89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
  3. Westside Barbell Powerlifting Training
    By iron addict in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 12:38 AM
  4. What is a good powerlifting/mass routine for 3 days a week training?
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 02:47 AM
  5. Actual Powerlifting Training Program??!!
    By simonrr in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 09:30 PM