Gutterpump's Westside log

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Westside log (WS4SB III + conditioning)

With new focus and new motivation, it's time to start a fresh log and get more serious with my training. This is my first real routine since I had surgery on my left shoulder and got a minor tear in my right (that I'm working around).

Most that know me here know that I've gone through a few injuries in the past years that set me back a lot and had me altering my training completely.

I was following 5/3/1 w/periodization bible assistance along with some GPP work, prior to getting 2 SLAP tears (from a benching accident) and having to stop. Since then I also herniated a disc (non lifting related) and so I entered into a long phase of "do whatever you can in the gym" along with extensive rehab work.

I'm at a point now where I've got a grip on pain & am able to do most lifts pain free (including squat), and train with intensity. I've also got a new found love for pushing myself to the limits via hardcore obstacle racing, which is the new motivation for me to pick up my training to new levels and become far more athletic and not just look the part.

I love training for strength, always have, but also like to train for size. What I really need though is to give myself a huge boost in endurance, and really increase my mobility/agility....

And so I'm starting WS4SB III (Westside for skinny bastards), basically a powerbuilding routine that also allows much room for conditioning and GPP work.

I'm 6'2 / 240 pounds, about 18% BF right now, clearly not a skinny bastard - but let's see how lean, big, fast, strong and athletic I can get on this new routine. More info coming, along with the template I will be following.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Subbed man
Thanks for joining up

Here's the initial layout I'll be following:

MONDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
TUESDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
WEDNESDAY – Off
THURSDAY – Repetition Upper Body
FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Off

MONDAY - Max Effort Upper Body (Day 1)

BB bench press – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps
Incline DB Press: 2 sets of max reps (rest 3-4 min)
/ Seated Row: 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
-superset-
Rear Delt flyes: 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps /
DB shrugs: 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps
Curls: 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps

Conditioning: Prowler pushes / sled pulls

TUESDAY - Dynamic Effort Lower Body (Day 2)

Box Jumps: 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps
Bulgarian split squats, front leg elevated (extended ROM) : 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps
Glute-ham raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Spread-eagle sit-ups (holding DB over chest): 4 sets of 10-15 reps

THURSDAY: Repetition Upper Body (Day 3)

Incline DB bench press: 3 sets of max reps (rest 3-5 min. between sets) or 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Lat pulldowns X Band pull-aparts (or rear delt flyes): 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise
DB lateral raises: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
DB shrugs X Curlbar Curls: 3 supersets of 8-10 reps of each exercise
Wrist roller: 2-3 sets

Conditioning: Prowler pushes / sled pulls

FRIDAY - Max Effort Lower Body (Day 4)

Squats: work up to a max set of 3-5 reps
BSS or Step-Up Variation: 3 sets of 6-12 reps
Ground-based, high-rep abdominal circuit –Perform 10-20 reps of each (3-4) exercise and go through the circuit 2-3 times. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits

Still figuring out how/when I will work in GPP & conditioning. Will be starting on Monday.

I will be working on my mobility daily using the Limber 11:

[video=youtube;FSSDLDhbacc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc[/video]

Extra notes: leaving heavy deadlifts out for now as they aggravate my back. RDL's are ok (but GHR's are better). Will possibly incorporate rack pulls in time.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Updated my routine above.

Saving this post for general diet/supplement notes.

Goals are to recomp (as always), but I will be increasing conditioning work to help lean out to 12% and then will maintain this longterm.

I am 6'2" / 240 pounds. About 18%BF

My BMR is: 2086 Calories/Day
My TDEE is: 3042 Calories/Day

So maintenance is 3042 cal/day

Target on workout days: 3000-3600
Target on off days (with conditioning work): 2400

Macros (on average workout day):

300g P / 250g F / 100g C

Diet will be a TKD. Carbs will be taken peri-workout. This might get adjusted.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Getting excited to start this program. Not sure why I haven't really looked into it before. I love the whole idea about Max Effort and the fact this program does NOT use simple linear progression is great. This program has the intensity I'm looking for, and should offer explosive gains in size and strength.

I'm used to squating several days per week though, but this program has more leg volume than I'm used to, so we'll see how it goes.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ordering myself some new gear I'll need for this. Got me a set of Fat Gripz for benching, since my hands are so huge. I read that these will be more ideal for pushing heavier weight (either fat bar, or fat grips) and will be better on my wrists. Likely help build up the forearms too. I'm a tall dude and forearms are tough for me to build.... so I also ordered myself a wrist roller.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
me-2015-spring.jpg

Today will be day 1. Since I am also recomping, here is a 'before' pic. I'm estimating 18% BF here.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
MONDAY - ME Upper Body (Day 1)

BB bench press

Bar x 10
90 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3

Note: Starting off easy to assess the shoulders. I've been benching only occasionally until recently

Incline DB Press (max reps):

40 x 20
40 x 15
40 x 10

Notes: Added extra set and only took 1-2min breaks (not 3-4 as recommended). Never worked to failure

Seated rows (wide grip)
Warmup
50 x 8
70 x 8

WG Seated Rows 100 x 10
Superset
Rear delt db flies x 12

WG Seated Rows 100 x 10
Superset
Rear delt db flies x 12

WG Seated Rows 100 x 10
Superset
Rear delt db flies x 15

Seated row wide grip

120 x 10

DB shrugs:

65 x 10
65 x 10
65 x 10

Barbell Curls:

75 x 10
75 x 10
75 x 8

Notes: right shoulder hurt a bit today but not for very long. Going to start flossing them both with my voodoo bands and working a bit on shoulder stability/mobility. Thinking about adding in KB Arm Bars somewhere.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
TUESDAY - Dynamic Effort Lower Body (Day 2)

Box Jumps: 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps

8 sets of 3

Notes to self: (Stacked 11 blocks high plus platform. was a few inches above my knees. I had more hops in the tank still, knew I could've gone higher)

Bulgarian split squats, front leg elevated (extended ROM) : 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps

BW + 15 x 8 x 2
BW + 15 x 8 x 2
BW + 15 x 8 x 2

Notes: first time doing this with front foot elevated. Went as deep as I could go. Front foot elevated about 10-11". 3 sets total per side with back knee dipping almost to floor (front leg a good amount past parallel). These are pretty deadly.

No GHR machine at the gym I'm at tonight. Doing RDL's instead today for same sets and reps
RDL's

Bar x 10
95 x 10
95 x 10
95 x 10

Notes: definitely prefer to do GHR's. Going to make a point to go to my other gym for these.

12 + 10# on chest
12 + 10#
12 + 10#
12 + 10#

Notes: first time trying these. I like em...

Walked 1.2 miles home from gym.

OVERALL NOTES SO FAR: Really liking the the amount of volume along with the dynamic days. I haven't been doing many if any dynamic movements in my routine for quite some time now. My 3-5rep lifts will be interesting as I've mostly been training with volume this summer and I've been re-injuring myself off and on (just now getting fully back into the swing of things). TBH I think I will throw in heavy singles, and I might end up throwing in extra volume in time too, likely a couple more sets here n there. I already added the extra on day 1 and feel like I'll get used to it quickly while enhanced. We'll see.

Conditioning: still trying to figure out when and how I will work this in

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subs

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Today is a rest day and coincidentally it's also my summer staff party!! No dieting tonight, eating for them gains!! Going to need the glycogen for repetition day tomorrow. GDA's be in effect tonight for damage control.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just got word that my grandfather is dying. He was an NHL legend, 4x Stanley Cup winner and 9x consecutive All Star game player. He only has 1-5 days remaining on this earth. I am dedicating my next two workouts to him, with intensity.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
THURSDAY: Repetition Upper Body (Day 3) aka VOLUME CITY

Incline DB bench press: Note: did DB flyes instead, felt better on shoulders when DBs were rotated in

30's x 10 - warmup
40 x 20
40 x 15
40 x 15

Note: Big pump in my left forearm had me stopping my last set. Need more volume for chest, adding in some cable work.

D1/D2 cable chest diagonals (like a single-sided fly, but on a diagonal angle, not reaching behind back, no stress on shoulders)

30# x 20 high to low diagonals ( each side)
30# x 15 low to high diagonals ( each side)

Lat pulldowns X Band pull-aparts (or rear delt flyes):

Warmup - Lat pulldowns
60 x 10
60 x 10

Lat-pulldowns
100 x 10
(superset)
Band pullaparts

Lat-pulldowns
100 x 10
(superset)
Reverse DB Flyes

Lat-pulldowns
100 x 10
(superset)
Reverse DB Flyes

Lat Pulldowns
100 x 10
(superset)
Bandpullaparts

Notes: used yellow (70lb peak resistance) band

DB lateral raises:

10 x 12 x 2
15 x 10 x 2
15 x 10 x 2
15 x 10 x 2
15 x 10 x 2

Notes: Ouch. Big pumps. Veins all over and striations galore during lifts.

DB Shrugs X Curlbar Curls (supersets):

Note: traps are already kinda shot/tight so I'm dropping weight down a tad. Going to need the TENS unit on my shoulders / traps tonight

DB Shrugs
50 x 10 x 2
Superset
Curlbar curls
65 x 10

DB Shrugs
50 x 10 x 2
Superset
Curlbar curls
65 x 10

Had to stop myself from doing extra reps on both of my last lifts. Going to have to increase weight next week

DB Shrugs
50 x 15 x 2
Superset
Curlbar curls
65 x 12

notes: increase weight next week

Wrist roller: 2-3 sets

Notes: I don't have my roller yet, skipping this for now. I had big pumps in my forearms most of the session anyhow, but I will start to add wrist rolls in soon.

Walked 1.2 miles home from gym

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The inside of my left knee started to hurt after my walk home from the gym last night, and I am still limping on it a bit today. I think I've been dosing a bit too high on my aromasin (currently on trest ace), which is causing this pain. Not sure if I should squat tonight - tonight is ME lower body day. I think it might just be joint pain from the aromasin, so I'm not sure what to do.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Forced to take the day off (ME lower body day) due to the inside of my left knee hurting like a mofo. Fairly certain it's from too much Aromasin. I ran a 5mile obstacle race a couple weeks ago that gave me bursitis in my left hip which took a week to go away. Could be related, but I think it's the Aromasin. I had cut my trest dose in half the past two weeks but not my AI. Stupid move on my part. I'm bumping my trest back up to 350 a week sometime next week though, for 4-5 weeks. I had cut my dose down while waiting for more trest. I originally only wanted to test it out for only 4 weeks, so I didn't have enough for a proper run. It's still really nice cruising on it at 175mg/week though!!

Anyhow, going to foam roll and slather on the magnesium oil tonight and likely all weekend (and will stop the AI for a bit). Should help a ton.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
MONDAY - Max Effort Upper Body

Bar x 10
90 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
245 x 1

Note: shoulders felt fine, but feet came off the floor on last set. Need to fix this

40 x 20
40 x 20
40 x 20

Added extra set. Was really smooth. Upping weight next week

-superset-

Seated rows (wide grip) - 10# DBs
Warmup
50 x 12
80 x 10

110 x 10
Superset
Rear delt x 10

110 x 12
Superset
Rear delt x 12

110 x 12
Superset
Rear delt x 12

Seated row wide grip

140 x 10

70 x 10
70 x 10
70 x 10

65 x 15
65 x 15
65 x 10

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dynamic Effort Lower Body

Box Jumps:

I don't have boxes so I'm using what I can for these. Stacking up 12 levels plus platform:

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1439438814.515460.jpg

(going up a level / 2" every week)

8 sets of 3

Notes: left knee felt wonky on one of my last jumps. Time to wear Rehbands?

Bulgarian split squats, front leg elevated (extended ROM) :

BW + 20 x 8 x 2
BW + 20 x 8 x 2
BW + 20 x 8 x 2

Notes: Went up #5 pounds this week on DB's. Balance on left side is far better than right side.

RDL's

Bar x 10
95 x 10
105 x 10
105 x 10

notes: added 1 more set + 10# this week

12 + 20#
12 + 20#
12 + 20#
12 + 20#

Notes: added 10# this week

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking good in here!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I restarted since I was on vacation last week and only trained twice. I've also decided to recomp/cut down a bit more aggressively so I've dropped all carbs, will refeed every two weeks. My workout only suffered slightly last night, strength dropped just a bit on my BB bench press.

Max Effort Upper Body

Bar x 10
90 x 5
110 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 2
235 x 2

Note: shoulders felt fine, but feet came off the floor on last rep, otherwise my form was solid the whole time, didn't flair elbows till that last rep. Kept lats tight, elbows in

50 x 18
50 x 14
50 x 12

Still using extra 3rd set

-superset-

Warmup
10 band pullaparts

Seated rows (wide grip)
Warmup
60 x 12
90 x 10

120 x 10
Superset
Rear delt x 10

120 x 10
Superset
Rear delt x 10

120 x 10
Superset
Rear delt x 10

70 x 10
70 x 10
70 x 10
70 x 10

65 x 15
65 x 10
65 x 8

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Tonight is DE lower body day. I've decided to add in GPP/conditioning work now that I'm settled into the program.

I'll be adding in Prowler sprints and maybe some sled pulls at the end of today's workout.... while carb depleted. Going to be fun : pukes in anticipation :

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dynamic Effort Lower Body Day

Box Jumps:
8 sets of 3 (getting close to waist height, and felt EASY. My hops are growing by leaps and bounds. Likely genetic since my brother played college basketball - MVP each year - and is a college basketball coach now... The hops must run in the family)

Bulgarian split squats, front leg elevated (extended ROM)

BW + 20 x 8 x 2
BW + 20 x 8 x 2
BW + 20 x 8 x 2

Notes: much more stable this week

RDL's

Bar x 10
95 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10

Note: went up 10# this week on RDL. Taking it easy to help build lower back strength. Got a bit of an imbalance there in lower spinal erectors

Prowler push

135# x 36 yard sprint (as fast as possible)

Note: added in prowler sprint for conditioning. Going to do this 2x per week for now and increase yardage and/or weight each week

Spread-eagle sit-ups (holding DB over chest):

Used 20# DB

12 + 20#
12 + 20#
12 + 20#
12 + 20#

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Forgot to mention I walked a total of 3.2 miles before/after that session.

When traveling from home, my gym is 1.6 miles away. I tend to walk the distance as a warm-up. Walking home after that session was a bit trickier, was more like a wobble home.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Taking a week off. Did something to my ulnar nerve/ligament last night.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dang dude. Heal up!
Thanks man, just a minor irritation of the ulnar nerve in my hand/wrist. Wearing a splint for a few days, will be back in no time my dr says.

Using the time to reprogram things and work on core/conditioning.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm joining a new crossfit box a bock away from my apartment that just opened. They are allowing me to train individually whenever they are open. This is pretty amazing and kind of rare so I am taking advantage of it. Will be super convenient, not to mention will really help me to step things way up. I won't have to worry about packed globo / mainstream gyms anymore or people getting in my way.... Not to mention I can work on conditioning multiple times a day now (I work from home half the week).

Since I won't be using machines or DB's anymore, I'll have to switch things up (and for the better). I'll be using strictly kettlebells, barbells, prowlers, sleds, GHR, ropes, squat racks, benches, boxes, bands. This is really going to help me with my goals of becoming far more athletic and not just looking the part.

Since I have 5-6 days rest right now, I'm going to use the opportunity to research and post relevant videos and articles in here for easy reference.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Non-conventional barbell exercises/movements (this article is about ways to do lifts with one end of the barbell in a corner, lots of amazing tips in here):

http://straighttothebar.com/articles...ith_a_barbell/

Kettlebell exercises / form:

Renegade Rows:
[video=youtube;xjw3G6CacAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjw3G6CacAQ[/video]

Chest Supported Kettlebell Rows:
[video=youtube;47qtOiz7wrA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47qtOiz7wrA[/video]

Kettlebell Rx: Double Arm Floor Press
[video=youtube;2DZxSuVYl5U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZxSuVYl5U[/video]

Standing Barbell Russian Twist
[video=youtube;TImmxdzX0gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TImmxdzX0gk[/video]

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Got myself some SlingShot 7mm knee sleeves on order from Rogue today, as well as some other goodies. Wrist is feeling much better, giving it a few days to be safe. Debating starting a completely new log with a new name. The program is essentially WS4SB III + Conditioning (for size, strength, power and performance). Original log title can't be edited and it's a bit deceiving. I'm not focusing on powerlifting.