TC's Training For Life Journey

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Ok folks .... Been on AM for a while now and finally getting around to starting a training log of my own.
First off, a little about me and how I came to be here.

Back in 2007 I was grossly out of shape .... weighing in at 360lbs and feeling miserable. After a routine checkup with my Dr revealed insanely high blood pressure I had to make some changes. That day the Doc told me I could die in his office and that he was set to put me on 4 different medications to try and keep my blood pressure in check .... he said the other option was to get my sh*t together and get healthy. So .... that day was October 17th 2007 .... I remember it well because for the first time I was scared into action instead of sick in complacency.
The next day I joined a gym and like many people went once and promptly stopped going ..... for 6 months I paid for a membership I never used. Then it hit me .... I really am gonna die if I don't get my sh*t together and do something about this. I decided to ditch the gym membership and I purchased everything I could to create an awesome home gym and went to work on myself.
Over the course of the next 3 years I trained and learned and trained better and learned more and trained even better and learned how to eat properly and by the middle of 2010 I had lost 120lbs ! About 2 months later I separated from my wife of 20yrs and ultimately got a divorce .... and sadly I let this bump in the road derail my training progress. Had to sell off my awesome home gym setup as well. I didn't gain much more than 20lbs during that layoff but any muscle I had gained in the past 3 years was lost.
Flash forward to October 2012 ..... the dust from the divorce had settled and I was living in a new home with a wonderful woman who supported me in all my health endeavors ..... so I began the journey once again. This time training at home with an Olympic weight set and whatever else I could scrounge up ..... still working on getting my dream home gym back together. Since that time I have gained about 20 lbs of muscle and have learned a lot about proper training and eating.
I am a firm believer in hitting each body part twice a week so I am currently on a modified push/pull split, training four days a week. I keep a detailed spreadsheet log of all my food intake (on week 44 of doing that now) and I find this helps keep me on the right path food wise.

I joined AM in February of last year and started to learn even more about this bodybuilding lifestyle that seems to have saved my life. I have found the people here to be honest, educated and supportive.

So ..... that's it in a nutshell. I'm sure there's more to tell but I will do so as the journey continues to unfold.

Now on to the log.
Me:
44yrs old
6'5" tall. 265lbs
Current training split .... Mon/Thurs - CHEST/DELTS/TRICEPS/ABS Tue/Fri - LEGS/BACK/BICEPS

MONDAY 7/20 CHEST/DELTS/TRICEPS/ABS

1. Flat BB Bench Press
1x15 (135)
1x10 (185)
1x8 (205)
1x8 (215)
1x6 (225)

2. Incline BB Bench Press
2x10 (185)
2x8 (205)

3. Seated BB Military Press
3x10 (135)

4. Seated DB Arnold Press
1x15 (30)
2x10 (45)
1x10 (50)

5. DB Flys (low incline)
3x10 (45)
2x10 (30) w/30 sec stretch/hold at the bottom in between sets
1x10 (50)

6. DB Skullcrushers (one arm at a time)
3x12 (30)
1x8 (45)

7. DB Lateral Raises (standing)
3x15 (30)

8. AB Routine .... Consisting of hanging leg raises, crunches, windshield wipers, and reverse crunches

Total time in the gym - 75min. (I generally average between 75-90 min per session)

Meal macro total so far (one meal remaining) kCal - 1925 F- 54g P- 193g C- 147g Generally shooting for 3400kCal per day .... gonna fall a little short today just due to the typical Monday issues. However, Food prep is done so I am all good for the next 3 days.

I will be posting some pics in the next few days ..... some before pics from back in the Tom360 days and then me now ....

And the Journey continues ......

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like your style

turff49

turff49

Awards
Excellent going here! In to join the journey!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In to follow along! Nice workout and way to keep track of the details.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just here for the noodz!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like we have a similar history... the food log @ 44 weeks is impressive man.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Looks like we have a similar history... the food log @ 44 weeks is impressive man.
Yeah the food log can get monotonous at times but I have to remind myself that its part of the overall goal.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Late posting this .... didn't have time after training last night and just now finally got a chance to sit down with the laptop.

Tuesday. Back / Legs / Biceps

I generally focus more of the heavy movements on back with this first session of the week and go lighter on legs .... then on Friday I hit legs much harder and include heavy deadlifts as well.

1. Db Goblet 11/4 Squats (down ass to grass then up just past parallel and then down again and up for one rep)
3x12 (65)
2. Snatch Deadlift to High Pull (starting almost in a squat position rather than a standard deadlift position to focus more on quads at the start and keeping the weight light to allow for an explosive movement from the floor to the top of the high pull at about breast height)
4x8 (165)
3. BB Bent Row
2x12 (165)
2x10 (185)
1x8 (205)
1x8 (215)
4. Pull-Ups narrow palms facing grip (tough movement for someone of my bodyweight but just started incorporating these into my routine)
2x10
2x8
5. Standing Db Curls standard concentric tempo / 5 sec eccentric
1x15 (30)
1x10 (45)
1x8 (50)
6. Db Calve Extension one leg at a time (I recently switched to lighter weights on this movement focusing more on the stretch)
3x20 (30)
2x15 (50)
7. BB Shrugs
1x20 (185)
1x15 (205)
2x15 (225)
8. Incline Db Curls w/30 sec rest pause stretch hold at bottom between sets
3x15 (30)

Biceps are sore .... just started incorporating these rest/pause stretches into various movements a few weeks ago and so far so good.

Macros for yesterday .... kCal-3446 F-100.7 P-252 C-331.5

Today is a rest day so I will keep total carb intake much lower than the past 2 days

turff49

turff49

Awards
Solid session there! Strong DB curls too! At your height those long arms would have to brutal doing those pull ups, good deal man, really impressive!

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Solid session there! Strong DB curls too! At your height those long arms would have to brutal doing those pull ups, good deal man, really impressive!
Thanks! Yeah I am a knuckledragger ;) Long arms and my bodyweight make the pull ups a challenge .... but I love a challenge so I will keep at it until one day I can add some weight other than bodyweight.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great work! I think you did awesome with the pull ups! Heck, I can't get all of mine with just body weight! Lol

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Great work! I think you did awesome with the pull ups! Heck, I can't get all of mine with just body weight! Lol
Thanks Kat! Starting to get some serious upper back doms now. Lovin it ;)

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Was just thinking those were some heavy curls with a 5 second eccentric.. strong!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah he is a big boy moving big boy weight!

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Was just thinking those were some heavy curls with a 5 second eccentric.. strong!
Honestly, by the time I got to the 50's I think my eccentric tempo started to slip closer to 3 seconds ..... or a much faster 5 count ;)

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Yeah he is a big boy moving big boy weight!
Yeah buddy! Tonights session will be lighter weight focusing more on the pump. Today is the second Chest/Delts/Triceps workout of the week. Lookin forward to it. Gonna dose my Stimul8 at 8:00 and be under the iron by 8:30.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If I took a scoop of Stimul8 @ 8:00PM I wouldn't get to bed until 6:00AM. I only take 1/2 - 2/3 scoop when I use it. I used half a scoop once at 6:00PM and was up until 2:00... as in no use turning off the lights until then. Not when I actually passed out. That stuff is serious!

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
If I took a scoop of Stimul8 @ 8:00PM I wouldn't get to bed until 6:00AM. I only take 1/2 - 2/3 scoop when I use it. I used half a scoop once at 6:00PM and was up until 2:00... as in no use turning off the lights until then. Not when I actually passed out. That stuff is serious!
It is serious stuff. I am a night-owl anyway and generally don't go to bed until 2-3:00 am. That's just been my daily schedule for the past year or so.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established

Thursday - Chest / Delts / Triceps / Abs

Usually go lighter on this second session of the week for these muscle groups and aim for higher reps.

1. Db Decline Bench
3x15 (50) slow controlled eccentric with stretch at bottom and explosive concentric
2. Bb Incline Bench - 40deg
3x12 (145) slow eccentric / explosive concentric
3. Bb Incline Bench - 20deg
3x12 (145) slow eccentric / explosive concentric
4. Seated Db OHP 21's
4 sets (30)
5. Db Pullover
1x15 (50)
2x10 (75)
6. Db Skullcrushers rest/pause 20sec between sets . one arm at a time until all sets completed then switched arms
3x15 (30)
7. Lateral Raise
3x15 (30)
1 drop set ... x10(30) x10 (20) x10 (10) Huge delt pump after this one!
8. Ab Routine

Macros for today kCal 2912 F-90g P-249g C-260g Slowly starting to lower total daily calorie intake .... time to start trimming a bit of the fat gained over the last 4-5 months of slow bulking. Probably will have another protein shake in a couple hours to round out the day.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Feeling it today. I have been out of G8 for a little over 2 weeks and since then I have noticed a measurable decrease in my recovery rate. One of the best ways to see if a supplement is working is to stop taking it and see what happens .... can't wait until its back in stock.
3 training sessions done and one more to go to finish up the week strong. Tonights session is another BACK/LEGS/BICEPS session. But I've come to know Friday as Deadlift Day ;). Lookin forward to some heavy deadlifts tonight and then 2 days off the eat and recover.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go kill those deals.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is serious stuff. I am a night-owl anyway and generally don't go to bed until 2-3:00 am. That's just been my daily schedule for the past year or so.
Stims dont bug me.. i used to drink an extra large coffee at my sons hockey games while the zamboni ripped around at 2nd intermission, then go home to bed lol

Feeling it today. I have been out of G8 for a little over 2 weeks
If we didnt have to deal with customs etc, I'd send you my extra tub

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
[/QUOTE]If we didnt have to deal with customs etc, I'd send you my extra tub[/QUOTE]

No worries. I'm sure it will be back in stock next month and by then it will be like a whole new product to me again.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Ok ... Happy Friday people! 4th and final training session of the week is under my belt, just finished off a protein shake .... feelin good ;)

Friday - BACK / LEGS / BICEPS

1. Deadlift
1x10 (235)
1x8 (285)
1x6 (305)
1x6 (335)
1x3 (345)
1x3 (365)
1x3 (375)

2. Meadow's Rows

1x12 (75) + whatever the end of the oly bar works out to in weight
3x10 (80)

3. Leg Extension - super set w/ Incline Db Curls
1x20 (135) ss 1x12 (30)
3x15 (165) ss 3x12 (30)

4. Concentration Curls - Arnold style (Bent over with arm hanging)
2x10 (50)
1x10 (50) drop x8 (30)

5. Hammer Curls
3x12 (30)

6. Db Calve Extension (one leg at a time)
2x20 (30)
2x15 (50)

That's all she wrote! Loved those deadlifts .... call me crazy but I do love deadlifts :stupid:
Next week I will get back to Front Squats on Leg Day ... took a week off from them due to knee issues but knees felt good on the deads so I'm all good.

Macro's for today .... kCal-3178 F- 113g P- 269g C- 255g

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love deads too, or as I called them before, deals.

Were those meadows rows right after the DLs?

turff49

turff49

Awards
Killer session that's for sure!!

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
I love deads too, or as I called them before, deals.

Were those meadows rows right after the DLs?
Yep. I had planned on doing Db rows but when I finished the Deads I figured I already had the bar and plates on the floor near the corner so I decided to set up for Meadows rows instead. Right after deads makes for a serious back pump for sure.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
bloodonthebarbell.jpg

Gotta love deadlift day! ;)

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Please excuse the crappy camera on my ancient droid phone.
You can see the calming .... slightly sedative effects of deadlift day written all over my face ;)
Lookin forward to 2 days off to eat and recover before hitting it hard again on Monday.

deadlift day.jpg

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking good Tom!

turff49

turff49

Awards
Dang you don't look anywhere as big as I expected(don't look that tall lol)!
Nice shirt too!

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Dang you don't look anywhere as big as I expected(don't look that tall lol)!
Nice shirt too!
Its the shirt .... optical illusion Finaflex Style ;). Sitting at 265lbs and 6'5" in the pic. Later I will have my lady take some better pics without the shirt. She's busy nursing one of our chickens at the moment. Got back yard birds to supply fresh, healthy eggs .... one of the birds managed to hurt her foot a few days ago so she's getting some special attention at the moment trying to help her heal up and get back to laying.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Strong work!! You look great too! Love the shirt! I've gotta get me one too!!

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Happy Monday everyone! Had a nice relaxing weekend to eat and recover .... ready to hit it hard again this week. Gonna be dosing my Stimul8 at 8pm and be under the iron by 8:30.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Strong work!! You look great too! Love the shirt! I've gotta get me one too!!
Thanks Kat. I've followed your log(s) since the beginning and you are looking Great yourself! Awesome work you're putting in. Keep it up.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Left shoulder is giving me some trouble today so I went a little lighter on tonights session.

Monday - Chest / Delts / Triceps / abs

1. Dips
1x10 BW
2x8 BW
1x6 BW

2. Flat BB Bench Press

1x8 (185)
3x6 (205)
1x15 (135)

3. Incline BB Bench Press (low incline +/- 20deg)
1x15 (135)
2x10 (165)

4. Seated Db OHP (no lock-out at top to keep constant tension on delts)
1x20 (30)
3x12 (50)

5. Db Flys
3x12 (30) Rest/Pause/Stretch for 30sec in full eccentric stretch in between each set
1x10 (50)

6. Db Skullcrushers (alternating arms with no rest periods other than how long it took to complete set with alternate arm)
3 sets x12,10,8 triceps were pumped after this one!

7. Incline Lateral Raise Super Set w/ standing lateral raise
3x12 (20) ss 3x12 (30)

8. Ab Routine

Total Macro's for today - kCal-3181 F- 98g P- 273g C- 279g

Got a great pump in Chest and Triceps tonight ..... feelin good ;)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you do any shoulder mobility work?

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Do you do any shoulder mobility work?
I do a little. I started doing those broomstick moves where you rotate your arms from front to back over your head holding a broomstick .... that has helped a ton with my shoulder issues .... haven't had any issues really for months until last night. That being said I think I know why ..... I have been eating a caloric surplus for the past 4 months and that has really helped recovery from my 4 training sessions each week .... but I switched to a caloric deficit almost a week ago to start cutting some of this fat and that has slowed down my recovery rate. This is typical with me .... I can sustain 4x weekly hard-core training with no issues while I am bulking but once I begin to cut I ultimately have to change things up with my training routine to allow more time for recovery and avoid repetitive strain injuries. Last time I switched to a 3x per week full body routine during my cut and that worked very nicely .... so I am contemplating making that change again this go around.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Gonna have to invest in some resistance bands I suppose

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gonna have to invest in some resistance bands I suppose
You won't regret it, I promise.

Sign up with elitefts for email subscriptions and they have sales almost weekly.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I bought some off Amazon! Will be buying the full set from Elitefts soon! Very versatile!!

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna check them out and probably purchase in a few weeks when I have more disposable income ;) Getting kids ready to go back to school now and that ain't cheap.

Decided to switch workout this week to Mon / Wed / Fri to give myself a little more recovery time. Been hitting it hard 4 days a week for 4 months now and now that I am eating at a deficit I think I should listen to my body .... at least this week ;)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm gonna check them out and probably purchase in a few weeks when I have more disposable income ;) Getting kids ready to go back to school now and that ain't cheap.
Tell me about it...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TKC432 Supplement Logs 14
TKC432 Supplement Logs 25
TKC432 Supplement Logs 66
Supplements 19
Anabolics 5