Low Fat Powerlifting

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Decided to start a log here as I'm quite enjoying the forum. I've been training for a good while and have focused on Powerlifting for the last 5 years. In that time I think I've done 5 competitions and spent a spell of 18 months not competing due to injury. I'm not smashing any records or setting the powerlifting world alight but I do enjoy the focus it gives my training.

During my 18 months of time out competing I decided to shift my focus onto losing fat and getting into shape. As I say I like the focus a competition gives me so I decided to enter some online "shape ups". I started out at 94kg and in the first 12 week run dropped down to 84kg using a cyclical keto diet. I then had a month off dieting and entered another 12 week competition and finished at 75kg. I did initially start out on the same keto approach but found I wasn't making the same kind of progress I did the first time round so I switched to a standard 40/40/20 macro split and the weight starting dropping again. Here's the three stages from Sept 2013 to April 2014....

During that time I was still training in a powerlifting fashion and lifting as heavy as my sciatica would allow. Obviously my strength dropped with such a big weight loss but it soon returned only this time I was 10kg lighter and sitting at 84kg.

Throughout 2014 I worked on sorting out the sciatica through stretching and training tweaks and decided to work up for a competition in Febuary this year. I also decided that I wanted to enter my third shape up competition at the same time which started in January and finished 6 weeks after the Powerlifting comp. I chose to run a cycle of M-dien to help me prep for the Powerlifting and that cycle finished on the day of that competition. I then ran PCT for 6 weeks whilst cutting for the shape up. A lot of people told me that wasn't the best idea but I cracked on with it anyway and I was pleased with the results.

I got 3 PB's and 1 platform PB at the Powerlifting comp and won the shape up. I started at 84kg, went up to 87kg and then cut to 80kg in the space of 12 weeks and looked the best I've looked in my life whilst being the strongest. I've decided that I'm going to try and stay close to lean perminantly now as I don't want to be the fat powerlifter again. Here's the 12 week transformation.......

and here's my comp lifts.......

[video=youtube;Pz_GYyzQvko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz_GYyzQvko[/video]

So there it is. I plan to do another Powerlifting competition in November and hopefully I'll smash those lifts. In the meantime I'm following Wendlers 5 3 1 with additions from his "Beyond 5 3 1" book and Ed Coens for my Deadlift. I'll put my first Squat session in later when I get back.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Cheers chaps.

Today was squat day. Singles week in the grand scheme of Wendlers. I intend to deload next week as I've been grinding it out for a while now......

Squat
2 x 5 - 60kg
5 x 100kg
5 x 125kg
3 x 145kg
9 x 157.5kg
Joker Sets
1 x 170kg
1 x 180kg
Wraps On
1 x 200kg
Wraps Off AMRAP
10 x 125kg
10 x 60kg

Leg Extensions / Leg Crul
10 x 65kg / 10 x 55kg
10 x 70kg / 10 x 60kg
10 x 75kg / 10 x 65kg

Hyper Extensions
3 x 10 + 10kg

Incline Walk - 10 minutes

Back Stretches

The target at 157.5kg was 9 so I was happy to have hit that. If I'd have had a spotter I'd have gone for a 10th and I think it would have gone but didn't fancy taking the chance on my own. The wrapless singles were nice although I think the 170kg was perhaps a little high. The wrapped 200kg was buried and smooth which really pleased me. I felt a little beat for the AMRAP so I wussed out at 10 to be fair. Squat is my favourite lift but I'm always glad to get it done and out the way early in the week. Everything else feels easy in comparison :silly:

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Props on being a lean powerlifter. My ego won't let my weight drop for fear of losing weight on the bar.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
It was definitely a mind fook to begin with but I've found that after each cut. When I've increased calories again my strength has rebounded and come back to where it was or stronger. Also sluts love cuts :18:

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Bench
2 x 5 - 60kg
5 x 80kg
5 x 90kg
3 x 102.5kg
5 x 115kg
Joker Sets
1 x 120kg
1 x 125kg
Board Rep Challenge 80kg
No boards x 5
1 board x 5
2 board x 5
3 board x 5
4 board x 4

10 x 60kg

Overhead Press
5 x 10 - 50kg

Pull ups
2 x 10 + 10kg
x 7 + 10kg

EZ Bar Skulls / DB Hammer
3 x 10 - 45kg / 3 x 10 - 14kg

Bench day with a little something different after my working sets. A guy at my gym has developed "rep boards" and is doing a "Tricep Hell Challenge" to further promote his product. Basically a nice, tidy replacement for the various planks of wood people use to work their bench press from set heights, easy to use interlocking blocks that ban be attached to the chest strap or to the bar. The challenge involves sets of 5 starting with no blocks up to 4 blocks and back down again. The weight you need to use is based upon your arm measurement so for my spaghetti limbs it was 80kg. If he gets enough interest he's putting up a cash prize for each of the categories. I was supposed to video this weeks effort but there was only me and one other guy in the gym and I needed him to put the boards on my chest. I tried it last week and got some video but I ran out of storage space before the end.

[video=youtube;kOzTMotzNvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOzTMotzNvE[/video]

elhosk

Awards
Subbed, cool to see a fellow brit starting a blog, good luck man! :)

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Oooo a fellow Brit. At least you'll understand the KG's!

I've not really had time to update my last two sessions so I'll just add the highlights.

Thursdays Coen deadlift was week 5 I believe so was 3 x 3 - 160kg & 3 x 3 - 130kg. Nothing overly exciting and I must say enthusiasm levels for it were loooow.

Friday was overhead press day and I got 5 x 87.5kg then hit 95kg and 100kg for singles. As usual I missed the 100kg on the first attempt but regrouped to nail it on the second try. Dodgy lock out though with my right arm not being as quick as the left which resulted in a proper grinder. It was all good though.

Friday night was then out on the town with work. Didn't get back in until 5:30am and I think I've just about recovered. That blow out should have got it out of my system for at least a few weeks though.

I'll be deloading this week and trying to fit in a bit of BMX riding if the weather is good as I haven't managed to get out to a track in too long.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Well the plan has been to decrease volume and load this week. On monday I went and squatted 3 x 5 - 120kg and also did that tricep hell challenge again. Here is the video if you're interested.

[video=youtube;0mzXQpK-4-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mzXQpK-4-A[/video]

Didn't train yesterday but today went in and did week 6 of Coens routine which went like this....

Deadlift
2 x 5 - 75kg
5 x 110kg
3 x 140kg
2 x 170kg
3 x 3 - 140kg

Power Shrugs
3 x 5 - 130kg

SLDL
3 X 5 - 130kg

Machine Row
3 x 5 - 110kg

CG Lat Pull Down
3 x 5 - 107kg

Good Mornings
3 x 5 - 60kg

No motivation again for this. I think I need someone to train with on Deadlift day to lift my mood and enthusiasm. I just can't see me pulling a heavy single in 4 weeks time at this rate.

I shall continue the deload this week by going to the pub tonight and then training light overhead and fluff work on Friday. Then back on it again next week.

Bodyweight is now back in the 81kg range so my mini cut is working nicely even though the weekend was just a bombardment of booze and terrible food.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
This was yesterdays training........

The deload has finished and I'm back on it. I must admit I feel better for it as the hips and knees aren't aching as must.

Squat
3 x 5 - 60kg
5 x 100kg
5 x 120kg
5 x 130kg
12 x 145kg
Joker
5 x 160kg
AMRAP
10 X 120kg

Smith Machine Calf Raise
4 x 12 - 70kg

Leg Raise
5 x 10 - 60kg
5 x 10 - 50kg

Hyper Extensions
4 x 12

Incline Walk - 10 Minutes

Stretch Hams and Glutes

Bit of pre Squat anxiety today but it helped to have someone to train with. Pleased with the working set of 145kg and threw up in my mouth afterwards which is always nice. Spent a good portion of the session after spinning out but got through it. I trained with a Fitness Model guy which explains the calf work and high set leg raises. Really enjoyed it although I get the feeling I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow and the rest of the week.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Great session.....

Bench
2 x 5 - 60kg
5 x 70kg
5 x 80kg
5 x 90kg
10 x 105kg
Joker
5 x 110kg
AMRAP
10 X 80kg

Pull ups
2 x 10 + 10kg
x 5 + 10kg

Overhead Press
5 x 10 - 50kg

EZ Bar Skulls / DB Hammers
3 x 10 - 30kg / 3 x 10 - 14kg

Stretch Chest, Hams and Glutes

I'm feeling really good this week. The deload has done wonders for me as I don't think previous I could have got 10 at 105kg. I was running out of steam by the Skulls but I was happy with the graft I'd already put in.

Possibly the most exciting thing was following my stretches I always try and touch my toes with totally straight legs whilst standing. Today I actually managed to touch them for the first time ever!!!! Really pleased with that and it's definitely inspired me to keep up the stretching. I'll be going to play some golf this afternoon as a little cardio.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I see you made really good progress. well done for being so consistent and working hard :)

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Thank you very much for saying so Ms Swag. Consistancy is key and I'm nothing if not consistant :D

A session that should have been terrible but was actually fantastic. Few too many beers last night meant I felt a little rough today. Decided to go to the gym still and accept a poor session if necessary but it was the best my Deadlifts have felt in weeks. Maybe beer is the answer??

Coen week 7
Deadlift
2 x 5 - 60kg
5 x 100kg
3 x 130kg
3 x 150kg
2 x 180kg
3 x 3 - 150kg

Power Shrugs
2 x 5 - 130kg

SLDL
2 x 5 - 130kg

Hammer strength Row
2 x 5 - 120kg

CG Lat Pull down
2 x 5 - 110kg

Good Mornings
2 x 5 - 90kg

Stretch Hams & Glutes

My pulling just felt really smooth and strong today. Everything was tight and the speed of the bar was superb (for me). A total contrast to last week when I couldn't see me pulling a heavy single in a few weeks. This time I can't wait

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You cannot go wrong with alcohol and deadlifts my friend! I prefer Canadian high octane myself, but it simply works.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Canadian high octane?? I'm going to have to google that. Not sure if it's a type of beer or training routine :D

I've had a great week of training this week they've I've really enjoyed. Can honestly say that I've busted my gut and gave it 100%. Got some great numbers at top working sets and I've got a fantastic feeling of well being going into the weekend. BMX pub crawl & NOFX gig tomorrow. It's gonna be great.

Overhead Press
2 x 5 - 40kg
5 x 50kg
5 x 60kg
5 x 70kg
10 x 80kg
Joker
4 x 90kg
AMRAP
15 X 60kg

Bench
10 x 60kg
10 x 70kg
10 x 80kg
10 x 70kg
10 x 60kg

Reverse Cable Flye
3 x 10 - 7.5kg

DB Skulls / DB Hammer
10 x 18kg / 10 x 18kg
10 x 16kg / 10 x 16kg
6 x 16kg / 6 x 16kg

Stretch Hams & Glutes

Overhead work was the muts nuts. The joker set at 90kg was an optimistic shot really but it wasn't far off. The line on the third rep was off which fried me a little. The fourth flew but there wasn't enough left in the tank for 5. Not gonna beat myself up about it though.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hahahaha high octane refers to the proof of alcohol lol. I like Canadian whiskey. Though after my meet today, bourbon is the flavor of the month.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Ooooooh I see :D My choice of poison is either Gin or Vodka. I like the clear spirits. I still believe that nobody in the world actually enjoys the taste of whiskey. They just drink it for the image :D

Squat
2 x 5 - 60kg
5 x 100kg
3 x 120kg
3 x 140kg
9 x 155kg
Joker
3 x 170kg
AMRAP
12 x 120kg

Smith Machine Calf Raise
4 x 12 - 100kg

Leg Extension / Leg Curl
3 x 10 - 75kg / 3 x 10 - 55kg

Hyper Extension
3 x 10 + 10kg

Stretch Hams & Glutes

The trouble with training on your own is picking a decent spotter. Thought I'd chosen well until I started the top set and it was clear if I were to get into trouble he'd probably be more of a hinderance. I wanted 10 reps but I needed someone I could rely on behind me so didn't go for it today. Still.....9 isn't too shabby. Stuck the calf work in again this week as I enjoyed it last time. You never know, I might develop some huge calves yet. (Is it calf or calve? I can't decide).

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Right then. Starting the steady cut for my beach holiday in August so if all goes to plan I shall be appoximately low 81kg ish by the weekend. This morning I was 82.2kg.

Bench
5 x 60kg
5 x 70kg
5 x 80kg
3 x 90kg
3 x 105kg
5 x 112.5kg
Joker
3 x 117.5kg
AMRAP
12 x 90kg

Pull ups
2 x 10 + 10kg
x 7 + 10kg

Overhead Press
10 x 50kg
10 x 55kg
10 x 60kg
10 x 55kg
10 x 50kg

EZ Bar Skulls / DB Hammer
3 x 10 - 40kg / 3 x 10 - 16kg

Hamstring and Glute Stretches

Wasn't necessarily the best session ever but then you can't expect to go in and smash it every session. I'd have liked at least another rep out of the top Bench set but it wasn't to be. Everything else was decent enough.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Nice one bud :D

Weighed in this morning at 81.4kg so all is on track. I have six weeks from this point to drop to 80kg which is where I'm at in the pictures at the start of the thread. I'm pretty confident that I'll hit that before the six weeks so I'm hoping I can get a little bit tighter and leaner still. Anyway.....onto todays session.

Coen week 8

Deadlift
2 x 5 - 60kg
5 x 100kg
3 x 140kg
2 x 170kg
2 x 190kg
3 x 3 - 140kg

Power Shrugs
2 x 5 - 150kg

SLDL
2 x 5 - 140kg

Hammer Strength Machine Row
5 x 120kg
5 x 130kg

CG Lat Pull Down
5 x 107.5kg
5 x 117.5kg

Good Morning
2 x 5 - 90kg

Ham and Glute stretch

Another decent deadlift session with the speed of the bar moving at a nice consistent pace throughout the weight. The best rep was actually the first of the final 140kg set. I've been really focusing on getting everything tight and pre loaded before actually starting the pull and I ripped the 140kg of the floor like it was 60kg. I need to carry that feeling and set up into all future sessions.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Overhead Press
2 x 5 - 40kg
5 x 50kg
3 x 60kg
3 x 75kg
8 x 85kg
Joker
3 x 90kg
3 x 95kg
AMRAP
15 x 60kg

Bench
10 x 70kg
10 x 80kg
3 x 10 - 70kg

Reverse Cable Flye
3 x 12 - 7.5kg

DB Skulls / DB Hammer
3 x 10 - 16kg / 3 x 10 - 16kg

Really good session today. Chuffed with the work at 85kg and chuffed to get the triple at 95kg. Felt good and strong throughout.

Weighed in at 80.8kg this morning so the cut is back in effect. Will have a little cheat over the weekend and crack on with it again next week.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
This was not a good day at the office. I took too much pre workout and felt bloody awful in the gym. Felt sick, shakey and body temperature was like the surface of the sun.

Squat
2 x 5 - 60kg
5 x 100kg
5 x 120kg
3 x 145kg
5 x 162.5kg
Wraps On
1 x 180kg
Wraps Off
20 x 60kg

Leg Extensions
3 x 12 - 55kg

Hyper Extensions
3 x 12 + 10kg

Really disappointing as I was hoping for 7 or 8 out of the 162.5kg but I just felt terrible during that set. The plan after was 180kg without wraps and then 200kg with wraps. To be honest the only reason I did the 180kg with wraps was just to practice the wrapped squat. It was easy enough but I just took it easy on assistance. I'm sitting here feeling extremely jittery and anxious right now but really tired. Bad times.