Jswain's training log for powerlifting

Page 170 of 171 First ... 168169170171 Last

1. Man, I don't even know when the last time I played basketball other than playing horse or some nonsense with my kids when they were younger. My new gym has 2 racket ball courts and I am really wanting to get some rackets and try to pick that back up again. I love racket ball but I think it would kill me now too!
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

2. Jswain's training log for powerlifting

C2 week 11 day 1

•Comp press w/ chains
    45 for a few sets
    95 for a couple sets
    135x5x2
    185 + chains (20-25 lb at top per side) x5
    225 + chains x5
    265 + chain x2
    295 + chains x2
    305 + chains x2

•cgbp
    225 + chains x3
    225 x 2 chains per side x3x2

•pin press at chest level
    Vs doubled avg band per side (75 lbs each side at top, 55 at pin height)
    45 + bands x5
    95 + b x5
    135 + b x3
    185 + b x3x2
    Herder said I had to beat him so
    195x3 @10 hardest set of the day. Grinded through my sticking point for the first timenin a long time.

•Hoff triceps
    Avg band on one side of the bar under the bench then to other side of the bar
    It consists of 3 exercises done as a continuous set
    3 sets of x8 skull crushers into x8 tricep presses low off the bellu really pressing it toward your feet then back into skull crushers for another 8 reps. The first set we did JMs for the last exercise but switched to skulls for the last 2 sets.

Notes:

Lifted with Herder at his gym today. Dude is a wealth of knowledge and as cool in person as he was on the forum. Hes really getting into westside stuff and while I was comp pressing he was doing speed work with 2 plates and 2 chains per side. Reps were speeeedy. A lot of the crew he's with go to westside on the weekends and one guy he trains with owns a 870-900lb bench training with westside for years. He said "everyone always has a reason why bands and chains dont work, but all of our benches keep going up so I'm not gonna change anything". Sound logic to me. Unfortunately by the time we got through the Hoff triceps I had to head out as it was getting late and I needed to go hang out with my grandparents for a bit.

I'm in West Virginia/Ohio on a fishing trip through the weekend. The plan is to squat tomorrow somewhere and i doubt ill get into the gym for the rest of the weekend. Ill pick up Monday.
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html
    •   

3. Tell Herder we said hello. Enjoy the time bro
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

4. When is that guy coming back?

5. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    When is that guy coming back?
    I didnt get the feeling he really had any plans to come back. I know he supposedly left because he felt like he was spending too much time on here and it was taking up too much of his personal time. Hopefully he returns at some point. Dude knows lifting.
    Training log:

•   

6. C2w11d2

•high bar pause squat (1-2 ct)
    45/95/135/185/225x5
    265x3
    + belt
    295x2
    325x2@8 -> left hip feeling a little angry today. Decided to double a mini around the knees to see if thatd help.
    325x2@8
    325x2@8 left hip and SI was not liking these today. Cut the last 2 sets. Im close to the point of just saying fuk back squatting for a while.

Just not there today. I think this happened last cycle as well - my strength seems to peak in week 9 and then 10 and 11 aren't nearly as good. Week 9 is immediately following a deload though so I suppose thats sort of to be expected. Maybe i need to change my mindset and instead of expecting prs in week 11 start thinking about hitting them at a 7 rpe in week 9. I was pretty underfed all day going into yesterday's session and only had a 640 cal subway sandwich post workout and nothing before this session, so that may have played a small role as well.

•zercher squat w/ 1ct pause (belt less)
    Belt less
    135x8
    185x8x3

•seal row (had a seal row station so I had to try it) (2 sets of 5) (3 sets of 10)
    95x5
    135x5
    185x5
    215x5x2
    165x10x3

Ss/

•monster mini band laying hamstring curls
    2x12 I planned on doing 3-4 sets but it wasnt working out how i wanted it to

•facepulls
    30x15x2
    40x15

Lifted at a crossfit box hoping theyd have a GHR. They didnt so thats why i tried improvising with the band ham curls.
    Training log:

7. Week 11 day 3

•inc cgbp (in place of OP) (1/2 thumb from edge)
    45/95/135x5
    165x5
    195x3
    215x2
    230x2x5

Ss/

•band pull aparts
    Monster mini x10x8

•Hoff tris
    5 sets of (x8 skull crusher -> x8 low chest cgbp -> x8 skull crusher) vs monster mini band

Got 1.5 sets through and the band rolled up the bench on me. I set it up like herder did so i dont know what the fuk happened but i just quit the exercise and did it with straight db weight instead. But did 8 skull crushers, 8 low press, 8 rolling tris all w/ NG.

30 for 1 set
    35 for 3 sets

Ss/

•hammer curls
    35x10x5

•single arm tri extension w rope (2 sets of 50)
    20x50 R
    20x50 L

Ss/

•Bent over incline bench curl (sup grip)
    20x15

Switch to:

•preacher curl machine (sup grip)
    90x12
    110x12

•HS rear delt fly
    90x30
    90x20

Notes:

1. Sorta just did whatever i felt like today. Got a lot of rear delt and tri volume in. Either gonna deadlift tomorrow or Wednesday. Next week is a deload week so im not in any hurry to get the session in really. Gonna go play basketball again tonight so how beat up i feel when i wake up tomorrow will probably play a big part in determining if i pull or not.
    Training log:

8. What's normal grip press?
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬
  9. Jswain's training log for powerlifting

Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    What's normal grip press?
    "Normal" grip for me is now ring finger on the ring. It used to be pinky on the ring but i moved my grip out this last cycle.
    Training log:

10. I've just moved mine back in to where I was, inside the rings. Moving pinky out past ring was useless to me over the last few months. Always felt weak. One of the guys I've been training with has had a few pec tears and he's all about the tricep bench now.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    hyde@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    I've just moved mine back in to where I was, inside the rings. Moving pinky out past ring was useless to me over the last few months. Always felt weak. One of the guys I've been training with has had a few pec tears and he's all about the tricep bench now.
    I'll always be more of a triceps bencher, but with how long my arms are I can still keep the majority of the emphasis on the tris with the ring on ring grip. Much more than that and I start losing strength. Shoot, thats why I brought my grip in from ring on ring in the first place, I was stronger with pinky on ring. But when I moved it out last cycle I seemed to be about the same strength wise and it didnt seem to bug my shoulders so I just kept it for a shorter stroke. If I keep that grip is tbd though.
    Training log:

12. Jswain's training log for powerlifting

Week 11 day 4

Warmup:
    Dynamic lower warmup
    Dead bugs 5 sets of 10 (5 per leg)
    Ss/
    Pallof press 35x10x3 per side

•comp deadlift
    95/135/135/185/225/275/315x5
    365x3
    405x2
    455x2x2
    405x2

All way harder than they shouldve been. Like I almost failed a rep at 455 hard.

•facepulls
    30x15
    35x15
    40x15x15x3

Had to play softball after this. I plan to come back tomorrow and do some accessories. Donno what my fuggin deal is.

On another note, I'm ditching this program for the start of school next month. Gonna put something together from Nuckols free programs at a 3x/week frequency and hit an accessory/whatever day for the 4th day if I have time that week. Gonna start low on the frequency scale (in terms of sessions/week) and will bump it up to 4x a week regularly if I feel like im adapting to everything well enough to do so. The only thing I know is that ill be benching 2x/week, squatting 1 or 2 (havent fully decided, but theres a chance i may not do a back squat either day if i do 2x, just fronts and zerchers, if i do back squats itll be high bar pauses still) and am leaning towards deadlifting 2x a week. For deads, I'm thinking of having the higher % day will be pause deads off the floor and the lighter day will be EMOM comp style for skill practice and the main goal on this day will be engraining the wedge and being explosive. The most important thing for me will be to make sure i can be in and out within a reasonable amount of time (ie: 60-90 mins max), and my training will reflect that.
    Training log:

13. When I started working again is when I began 5th Set. Definitely appreciated the 4 sessions per 9 day microcycle. You are doing it right, planning for the adjustment phase.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    hyde@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

14. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    I'll always be more of a triceps bencher, but with how long my arms are I can still keep the majority of the emphasis on the tris with the ring on ring grip. Much more than that and I start losing strength. Shoot, thats why I brought my grip in from ring on ring in the first place, I was stronger with pinky on ring. But when I moved it out last cycle I seemed to be about the same strength wise and it didnt seem to bug my shoulders so I just kept it for a shorter stroke. If I keep that grip is tbd though.
    My bench grip is varied depending on where my shoulders are sensitive at the time. My numbers are pretty much the same whether I am ring finger on the ring, pinky on the ring, or about and inch inside the ring. However if the front of my delt is bothering me, I have to go wider and if the back of my delts are then I have to go narrower.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    When I started working again is when I began 5th Set. Definitely appreciated the 4 sessions per 9 day microcycle. You are doing it right, planning for the adjustment phase.
    Wow, a 4 sessions per 9 days split sounds like a great way to break back in.
    Current Training Log -

15. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Wow, a 4 sessions per 9 days split sounds like a great way to break back in.
    Yah, I considered just going back to 5th set but I'm really in no condition to be doing AMRAPS for lower body lifts right now and I wanted to get back into full body training for a bit. I really think that squatting or pulling to some degree really helps my back and hips, however counter intuitive that may he to some. I have my tentative layout set up and will work on posting it up if anyone is curious what I came up with.
    Training log:

16. Jswain's training log for powerlifting

Week 12 day 1 - deload, off program.

Warmup:
    Pallof: 40lb x20-30s x3 per side
    Banded dead bugs: monster mini x8 per side x3

•high bar squat
    45/95/135x5
    185x5x3

•conv deadlift
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5x3

•Laying hamstring curl (3x15)
    70x15x3

Ss/

•NG Pullup
    X8/8

•Banded dead bug
    Monster mini x10 per leg x2

Ss/

•SL glute bridge
    Each side x8x2

Edit: btw, today was my first day back in the gym since I pulled last Thursday. I wen to visit my little brother at IU this past weekend and when I got home Sunday I was in no status /had no desire to go in. Ive been hunting (aka sitting on my ass in a tree stand) twice a day this week and between morning and afternoon sessions I've been busy cleaning/packing stuff up for the move. I also just generally needed a bit of a mental break from the gym. I have been sort of disappointed with how training has been going lately so I was really needing a mental deload as much as a physical one. This period off will hopefully help me re-focus and re-charge mentally with the goal of starting to see some progress again. Once I move, my nutrition should be much better than it has been the last several months so that should help too. Ive been drinking entirely too much beer and not really tracking calories diligently even though I have generally been trying to make smart choices. Weight today was still 245 so I apparently haven't done too bad.

Also, on another note, I am planning on getting back to tracking on paper with my new routine. I am not exactly sure when I stopped, but it was roughly around the same time I started at the new gym. 1. Its easier to refer back to past workouts than getting on here mid workout every time I am trying to remember what I did; and 2. It will get me off my phone and allow me to just be "into" the workout more i hope.
    Training log:

17. Jswain's training log for powerlifting

Love dead bugs but I have that pesky snapping hip on my right side. So, I don’t do them lol

Man, mental deload are very necessary! When you don’t enjoy lifting then it’s pointless (maybe not entirely pointless but you get it)

Anyhow, curious on the new layout.
    Psalms 62:1-62:2

18. Deload day 2

Warmups
    New:
    Banded lat stretch - immediately after doing this my left lower back where i typically have that dull ache essentially quit aching. Gonna start including these in my warmups and hopefully a few days on off days.

•Comp bp
    45/135x5
    185x5x3

Ss:

Band pull aparts (ie: external rotations) with supinated grip (5 sets)

•cgbp
    185x12x2

Ss/

Same as above (2 sets)

•db row (light) (2x10)
    60x10x2@1

Ss/

•cable chest press (1x8)
    70 per side x10

Ss/

•cable lateral raise (3x12)
    20x12x3

•once again tried to do the banded hoff tri-set and the application once again failed. Resorted to db rolling tri extensions
    45x15

Notes:
    Another lighter than normal deload day both in terms of volume and relative intensity. Feeling ready to start up my new setup next week (will get a few weeks in to make sure everything is ironed out before starting it up with school). Btw, tyga ill post that up for you (and whomever else) to look at later today when I get home.
    Training log:

19. Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    Love dead bugs but I have that pesky snapping hip on my right side. So, I don’t do them lol

Man, mental deload are very necessary! When you don’t enjoy lifting then it’s pointless (maybe not entirely pointless but you get it)

Anyhow, curious on the new layout.
    My left occasionally snaps (like 10% of the time) and ive found that if I really focus on contracting my left glutes while lowering the leg it seems to help keep it from happening.
    Training log:

20. Jswain's training log for powerlifting

here it is

I have the progression planned for Zerchers in there to the left. Bench and deadlift progression will be established based on the max attempt on week 4. The paused high bars will be established based on the x2@9 sets the final week. The accessories will just be +5-10 as I am able to complete all the sets. Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 2.03.00 PM.png
Views: 24
Size:  248.1 KB

Edit: gonna have to zoom in if on mobile
    Training log:

21. Looks good!
    Current Training Log -

22. Look at that detail! (And color )

Looks good buddy
    Psalms 62:1-62:2

23. Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    Look at that detail! (And color )

Looks good buddy
    I was bored one day and its a heck of a lot easier to see the things I wanted to see with the background color!
    Training log:

24. Jswain's training log for powerlifting

Dudes, I just did a virtual tour of one of the gyms that a lot of people go to by my school and it is HUGE. Half of of it is "commercialy" but they have a little mini crossfit box with an array of specialty bars and, best yet, a fugging GHR! Its pretty pricey but its not even the most expensive gym around there and the only cheaper option is an anytime fitness which i can guarantee wont have the equipment this one does. Oh, yah, there is also a spa, barber shop, and several clothing stores within the gym...crazy (and ridiculous).
    Training log:

25. Sounds amazing. Commercial gyms aren't so bad add long as they allow for normal use of the compound lifts.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Training Log for Rugby - Need opinions
    By mynameisdiwas in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2015, 09:37 AM
  2. my training log strongman/powerlifting
    By jrhutton in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 06:13 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM