Jswain's training log for powerlifting

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm starting up a log here mainly to gain knowledge from others (powerlifters and non-powerlifters alike) and hopefully giving back to the AM community a little bit. I am going to be training for powerlifting and am finishing up my 4th cycle of Candito's 6 week strength program. Prior to that, i was playing college baseball and running 5/3/1 for the better part of 2.5 years. Here are my current 1-3rm maxes:

Bp: 325x1 (****ty arms flared and T&G). I will know my current training competition style bench next week. I hit 260x2 for a fairly easy double today. Im stronger with my arms flared (bro benching), but im currently working on bringing them in to help with lat recruitment and to save my ACs. Won't get near this next week, im cool with that, working on comp form finally.

Sq: 440x3. This current cycle of JC's program has been very rough for squats. Dunno what it is, just haven't had it since i hit 395x9 a few weeks ago. We'll see next week.

Dl: 515x1 conventional. Recently switched to sumo so I could train the deadlift more frequently. Like my bench, i will have a max set next week. I am surely stronger conventional, but once again, i'm thinking my sumo will catch up rather quickly.

After my tests next week, ill be starting up a customized version of the RTS general intermediate program. (Customized exercises for my weaknesses. RPE targets, load drops, repeats and fatigue %s will all remain the same). I was deciding between the Cube Method, Brandon Campbell's new PRS program and this. I went with RTS because i wanted to see how full body higher frequency worked for me and love the whole idea of auto regulation.

Thats where we'll start.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Here is the RTS lifting schedule ill be following:

Here are the RTS variations I've chosen. Would love to hear any feedback. Im weak out of the hole, off the chest, and off the floor. Obviously primary lifts will be comp bp, comp sq and sumo DL.
primary assistance:
bp - spoto press / sq - 13.5" box squat w/ pause after box tap / dl - sumo deficits
Primary supplements: bp - Weighted dips / SQ - front sq / dl - banded GHR

Bench secondary supplement: Overhead press; maybe w/ axle/fat bar
Secondaries: bp - slingshot T&G/ sq - none / dl - conventional

Edit: these are edited and now UTD after revisions.

Attachments

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed! I see you weak point work and think I'd throw pause squats in there somewhere. Better for TUT and learning proper positioning than Anderson squats, though perhaps some other guys who've done more pin squats can chime in. My main stuff for improving my squat is the pause squat and the box squat. But that's just me, and I could stand to improve much more than I have in the last year.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed! I see you weak point work and think I'd throw pause squats in there somewhere. Better for TUT and learning proper positioning than Anderson squats, though perhaps some other guys who've done more pin squats can chime in. My main stuff for improving my squat is the pause squat and the box squat. But that's just me, and I could stand to improve much more than I have in the last year.
Awesome man. Glad to see you here. Great person for me to learn from. I do feel that both of those likely would benefit me. Especially the pauses for positioning. It was between andersons and pauses when i was choosing, now that i think about it it does make more sense to use pauses for a while just to get a little more comfortable in the hole. I was also considering adding in some banded box squats but i wanted to get a full training cycle in to just get a feel for the program before adding any CAT work.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So taking the weekend off from lifting. Played in a slow pitch softball tournament yesterday and one of my good buddies (and lifting partner) is graduating from college today and having people over afterward, i am going to attempt to keep the beer drinking to less than a handful since I'm supposed to test on squats tomorrow. Definitely not ideal, but sadly I'm not getting paid to hit a PR tomorrow, so it is what it is.

Always have the option of pushing it back to Tuesday and just going in for some light prehab stuff tomorrow. Hips are pretty much always tight and my left biceps tendonitis has been flared up on me the last 2 weeks.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yup. Took today off, probably could have went in today for squat test but I decided to give it a day after the weekend i had. 455x1-4 tomorrow.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, that went ****ty. Will post workout later. Ended up calling it quits for squats after 2 singles at 425. Like i said, squats this cycle have been terrible.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
May 5, 2015 Candito 4 week 5 Sq test:

Weight: 218.0

Warmup - 20 minutes

Foam roll: quads, hams, lats
Lax ball: glutes/hip flexor/hips/delts
Hip circle monster walks
Banded external rotations 2x15
Band curls 3x20
Hip circle kb front squat 2x10
Super D inverted banded QL warmup
Super D inverted banded hip extensions

Squats

WU: hip circle front squats bar x10

comp squats w/ hip circle: 135x5

Comp squats:

225x5
315x3
365x2
405x1
425x1 - weight came forward, felt like ****. Told myself if I didn't hit a better rep i wasn't going up.

425x1- felt like my form stayed tighter, but it just moved too slow for me to want to justify going up after the last few weeks of squats. (How do i upload a video?)

Sumo deadlifts at 65-75%:

325x4 (also would like to upload this for form critiquing).
335x4
350x2

Banded GH raise:

x10x3

Overall, pretty bummed about the whole squat situation. In February i hit 450x1 and 6 weeks ago 440x3. Cant see any way i would have had either of those in me today. 3 weeks ago I hit 395x9 on an MR10 set, so i know its there. That was really the last good squat day i've had.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Put vids on YouTube and post the link, bud. We'll find out where your squats ran off to.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
http://youtu.be/F-OflhmtNOE

There is todays 2nd single at 425. Let me know what you see. I have the first one two if you want it, just lemme know. Sorry its so damn far away, didn't know it was gonna shrink that much upon upload (i'll work on that for next video). I appreciate the advice in advance.

I didn't send the deadlift clip to my phone from my ipad yet. Will try to get that up tomorrow for some critiquing.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1430886928.602375.jpg

This seems to be the spot i got stuck. Maybe i need to reevaluate my sticking point as from being out of the hole to right here. And if thats the case, i almost feel that andersons squats at maybe 1 pin below this point would help with powering through this point. Thoughts?

If i had to take a stab at it id think that my glutes are behind. I think that looks like a place where a lack of driving through with the hips could show up.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd keep working strength out of the hole, bud. The faster you get out of the bottom, the more momentum you'll have when you get to that point. Try to drive your back into the bar as you hit the hole, that will help. Keep taking vids and we'll keep helping you!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds good, thats what i'll do. Hopefully it has just been a bad few weeks.

On another note, any of you guys have experience going to a chiropractor for hip/sacral pain? Ive never been in for an adjustment and i think my left side could really use one. Just wondering if anyone has past experience with it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you find a good Chiro, it's worth it. Mine does some hippie stuff but he's good at adjustments, released, and Graston.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah i think i might be due for my first adjustment and maybe some active release on my left hip. The Graston technique stuff looks intriguing as well.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Stuff like satellites exploring the galaxy and dinosaurs and crap is intriguing.

Graston is a straight up miracle.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Stuff like satellites exploring the galaxy and dinosaurs and crap is intriguing.

Graston is a straight up miracle.
Haha, I'll have to take your word for it and hopefully ill find out soon enough. Unsure if i want to wait til after DL test on Friday (so next week sometime, i work all weekend) or go before/after BP test tomorrow. Leaning towards waiting til next week.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So i did some analyzing on my sumo pulls from the other day. A few things I noticed:

I occasionally get my shoulders perpendicular to the bar. Id say 60-70% of the time I do.

My hips are way too tight. I cant open them up sufficiently to allow myself to keep my tibia perpendicular to the floor. Which is also fking up my back angle. I was very close to 45 degrees on nearly all of the pulls.

I think the thing that keeps coming up in all of my lifts is hip mobility. Obviously its a glaring need.

Heading to the gym now for bench day. I'll update later and hopefully have a video or 2. Probably will do my last warmup and then the 270x1-4. Hopefully i can find a spotter.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, in contrast to squat day, today went pretty well. Got 270x4* (3rd rep was a little fast off the chest, still dont know if im going to count it or not). But, overall, my bench felt pretty good today. Still have a lot to work on, but a good day today with what my max was set at (275).

*remember, My t&g max was 325x1 and 315x2 6 weeks ago. Lowered estimated max to 275 to start working on competition style pause benching. Maybe I went too conservative, but at least i got a decent 5 weeks in with practicing the pause and bringing my grip in.

Todays workout is as follows:

5/7/15 JC cycle 4 week 5 bench test:

Weight: 217.5

Warmup:
foam rolling quads/hams/glutes/adductors
Lax ball glutes/hips/pecs/bis/delts
Band external/internal rotations
Band curls

Bench:

WU: bar x5 / 95x5 / 135x5 / 185x4 / 225x2 / 250 x 2
Working set: 270x4 (rep 3 was a little fast off the chest, like i mentioned above).

Video- http://youtu.be/pIbrjq2pO7c

Seated DB Ohd Press: 70x8 / 75x5 / 70x6

Dips: bwx12 / +medium chain x 8/ +large chain (30lb) x 8x2

Machine flys: 105x12x3 (reps, sets)

SA grenade cable triceps extensions: 50x12 / 50x10 / 30x15

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Set 2 sumo PRs today.

5/8/15 JC cycle 4 week 5 DL test day

Weight: 217.8

Warmup:

Super D QL Release/hangs
Usual foam roll/lax ball stuff
Dynamic stretching
Hip circle monster walks
Reverse hypers: no added weight to pendulum x15
(Forgot about the rotating KB deadlift, will probably test it out next week)

Banded int/ext rotations & banded curls in between first 2 DL WU sets.

Sumos: 135x4/225x4/315x4/405x2(in video)/445x2

470x3* PR (in video), wasnt in the program to go up, but i said F it since ive had a ****ty squat cycle and am moving to RTS.

505x1* PR (in video), almost said F it and went for 525 for the hell of it, but decided 2 PRs were good enough. Ill let RTS lead me to my all time PR.

SsA1. Hip circle front squats:
135x8/185x8/185x8, was really focusing on the hip circle and spreading the floor and knees. Could have done more if my focus was entirely on moving the weight.

SsA2. Reverse hypers: +50x10x3

Then hit some chest supported rows and lat pulldowns since they were programmed for after yesterday's bench day. I skipped them to keep my back fresh for today. 3 sets of each (x8, 6, 6)

http://youtu.be/vtp4TAAILpE

A few notes:

1. my hip seems to only really bug me when i squat. Pretty much pain free today once i lax ball SMRd and did the dynamic stretching during warm ups.

2. I think i really found my toe angle for sumos. Felt good today (i angled them out further today).

Feel free to critique form or mention anything else you see to be worked on.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Weirdly, one of the things im looking forward to RTS for most is to start front squatting again. I used to do them all of the time as an accessory on 5/3/1, but did them maybe twice the whole time on Candito.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subd.

Before DL and squat I like to do these:

https://youtu.be/tjIAS-D7UcY

and I'll do BSS and lunges, pressing my hips outward to open them up. Hope that helps you some....

I gotta catch up on those recent videos later.

Nice numbers man.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive watched that video before, weird the only thing i took out of it was the kb fs when the other few exercises would likely benefit me more lol. I'll watch it again on my break at work later, just did a quick skim now.

Thanks for dropping that video and the compliment, and welcome to the log. Glad to have you man

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Contemplating on taking a little deload this next week and following the RTS template at an RPE of 6ish. Ive only done floor press and spoto press maybe 1-2x each, and only ive used a slanger once (but it was too small, so i did maybe 3 reps with it). Thinking a deload might be a good way of getting at least one more session of practice in with these accessories before going at an RPE of 8-10 with them.

I hate taking deloads. They're boring as ****, so I'm still deciding whether or not I'm going to do it or just hit it and know that ill improve over the 10 weeks. I just deloaded 5 weeks ago, i usually waited 3 cycles of 5/3/1 before deloading.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just found a NGPF meet thats an hour from my house on July 25th. Juniors 220 bench state record is 340; deadlift is 490. Those records can't be right...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Each Fed has it's own records, a bunch of different categories and whatnot. I once owned a world record because it was the first meet WABDL combined push/pull into a total instead of keeping them separate. I thought it was funny because there was a guy in my weight class who could've beaten that total with a 350 deadlift when he's always Good for 605-635, but he didn't pull that day.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed.

Will likely add nothing but smart ass comments, and reminding you that no matter how much progress you make; you still suck (ask herder)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed.

Will likely add nothing but smart ass comments, and reminding you that no matter how much progress you make; you still suck (ask herder)
Needed you there today Jim when I got crushed by 505.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed.

Perfect. Welcome

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate deloads too. Just pretend you do 200% of what you actually do. Then, dropping to 50% is still fun and challenging.

:)

What state are you in?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I hate deloads too. Just pretend you do 200% of what you actually do. Then, dropping to 50% is still fun and challenging.

:)

What state are you in?
I know mannn. I was just sitting here at work thinking about whether or not I was going to take one or not still. Im honestly leaning towards not doing it and just waiting til the end of this 10 weeks to take one. As long as I keep on top of my stretching/mobility i should be fine (i think..).

I currently live in Oswego, IL. 45 minutes WSW of Chicago. Been here for the last year after i graduated college in this area.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quads Gym or the Lilliebridge's place, man!! I dunno where they are, but I'm saying it anyway. I think Monster Garage Gym is somewhere out that way. Your total will go up 150lbs within the year!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Quads Gym or the Lilliebridge's place, man!! I dunno where they are, but I'm saying it anyway. I think Monster Garage Gym is somewhere out that way. Your total will go up 150lbs within the year!
Currently lifting at jakked hardcore, google it. It has every accessory bar you could need, cable accessories, 2 monos, 2 comp benches, 2 powercages, a strongman training room. It does the trick. They have a PL team that trains 3x a week (t/th at 8pm, sat morning) but i cant really have a set schedule like that due to my job and honestly, i like being on my own agenda and not having to be told what to do. Lifting is kind of when i get my time to myself and i dont really like talking/interacting with people much then.

I looked into going to Barbell Central (Lilliebridges place) after talking to another older powerlifter that worked out at both my old gym and Barbell, but heard it can take upwards of 2 hours to get into a squat rack there on occasion. I dont have that kinda time to fck around. I also heard that they try and push PH use to some of the younger, inexperienced guys that come in and are vulnerable to big dudes telling them what to do. Not something I'm really looking to support either. But yah, Barbell is about 5 minutes drive from where i want to college.

Edit: might I add, PHs from the supplement shop they own that is in their gym. Im not saying this is at fault of the Lilliebridges, just that it happens at their gym. And its just what ive heard, never been there for myself so i cant say ive seen it with my own eyes or anything. Could be all bll****.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've heard of it, Pete Rubish used to train there a bunch. That's awesome that you have a good facility.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've heard of it, Pete Rubish used to train there a bunch. That's awesome that you have a good facility.
Yup. Consider myself very lucky with the availability of the powerlifting based gyms around here.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
RTS cycle 1 wk 1 day 1

Wt: 216.0

Warmup-
Rumble roller -quads/hams/glutes/lats/IT band/adductors/T spine

Lax ball - glutes/hips/QL

Dynamic leg stretches

Banded ankle mobility: band around achilles first and then anterior ankle and go into dorsiflexion.

Hip circle clamshells

Monster walks

Rear leg elevated kb split squats

Comp Squats: x4@9; no load drop or repeats (will use "LD" and "Rp")

135x5 NB NWs (no belt; no wrist straps)

225x4 NB NWs

315x4@6 BWs (belt; straps)

365x4@8 BWs

385x4@9 BWs

-used my OLY shoes today for squats. Still low bar. Felt alright; we'll see how my left hip feels tomorrow. I might continue to use my OLY shoes while i work on my ankle mobility. I think that may be why my hip is giving me fits.

Comp BP: x4 @9; No LD or Rps

Bar x12
135x5
185x4
225x4 @6
255x4 @8
265x4 @9-9.5

-kept losing tightness. Probably why my bench didn't feel great today.

Spoto press: x6 @9 No LD or Rps

135x6
185x6 @6
210x6 @8
215x6 @9

-Can definitely see how these can help with overall rigidity during bench. I think these will be a good accessory for me for a long time.

Ended with some side planks, light hip circle banded RDLs and various static stretches for glutes, hams, piriformis, adductors.

Overall: decent first day on RTS. I am used to upper/lower days so this whole full body, high frequency thing will take some getting used to. Now time to put down some cals.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good lord, that 4 hour session. lol

Nice man.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good lord, that 4 hour session. lol

Nice man.
Haha nah man. I started the timer on my phone my second set of squats. Ran it continuously for my session until the cool down. Stopped it at just under 70 minutes. My warmup was probably 15. Cool down probably 10 max. So i was there for what, maybe a little over an hour and a half.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just looks like a lot with all the warmups. Was making me jealous, but now I just see I need to do 15 second rests like you. ;)

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just looks like a lot with all the warmups. Was making me jealous, but now I just see I need to do 15 second rests like you. ;)
yeah, i do kind of fly threw my warmup routine. I like to keep it fast paced and work up a good sweat. Sometimes i sweat more in my warmup than when im actually lifting lol.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, i do kind of fly threw my warmup routine. I like to keep it fast paced and work up a good sweat. Sometimes i sweat more in my warmup than when im actually lifting lol.
I kinda do the same. I know I have to do warmups but want them over quickly. lol

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed.

Some strong lifting in here!
Glad to have ya man! Ey, no where happy with where i am. Especially looking through some of yall's logs. Im glad i have you dudes that are stronger than me to keep me pushing.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I kinda do the same. I know I have to do warmups but want them over quickly. lol
Lol yup. I take my time with the foam rolling/lax ball stuff but after that im like alright lets get this **** over with. Still take my time while doing the movements but as little rest between them as possible.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Picked up a substitution shift at work today so I had to go to a 24hr place closer to my house. Had to make due with what I had to work with, so there were some alterations on exercises today.

RTS c1w1d2

No weight taken today.

Warmup:
Did some static stretching at home while waiting for the gf to get out of bed.
Also did a few bodyweight rear foot elevated split squats

At gym:
Foam/lax usual stuff
Monster walks (less than usual)
HC banded goblet squats

Sumos: x4@9; no LD or RPs

135x5
225x5
315x4
365x4
405x4
[email protected]; was thinking about going to 460-465 but was running short on time. Plus hips were not cooperating at all today; so called it quits here.

Program called for floor press; had to do them on the smith machine. X4@9

Barx5
135x4
185x4
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
275x4@9

Program called for front squats; used the hack squat machine. Some guy jumped in the only squat rack to shrug the moment i got out of it from deadlifting. Didnt have time to wait for him. Im unsure of how much the apparatus weighs; so these weights are plate weights only.

90x6
180x6
270x6
320x6
360x6@8
380x6@9

My hip was even bugging me on these in the hole. This whole hip **** is starting to annoy me. I wonder if that is why my squats have taken a step back the last few weeks. Seems like right around the same time my hip flared up they went down.

As terrible as it sounds, im considering taking a hiatus from squats until i address this issue. I had a bad case of what I believe was piriformis syndrome the end of last year that kept me from squatting and deadlifting fully for almost 2 months. Sciatic pain and the whole 9 yards. Started light and finally worked my way back up and even made some progress (on squats). This kind of feels similar to how that felt in the very early stages. Just not squatting and still being able to deadlift sounds a hell of a lot better than not being able to do either. By no means is this what I WANT, but i also REALLY dont want to get as bad as it was then. It's not a for sure thing, but I'm giving it some thought.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice work man.

Dam shruggers. lol

Dude jumped in the squat rack next to me to do calf raises. 3 smiths open behind him...

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice work man.

Dam shruggers. lol

Dude jumped in the squat rack next to me to do calf raises. 3 smiths open behind him...
Lol classic commercial gym problem. I was a little annoyed, but maybe it was a blessing. Im sure front squats would've felt even ****tier on my SI than the hack squat machine did.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If any one has any opinions on my squat situation I am definitely all ears. Maybe nixing squats altogether is a little overboard. Maybe ill just try box squats as my comp squat?