Misfit28 Workout log: Transition to DUP to fix my Squat!

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys,

I thought I would set up a log here to detail my experience with switching to a DUP-style training program from 5/3/1. I've been using 5/3/1 for years, but a combination of form issues and lack of volume was holding me back. This log is to keep me accountable, and I will probably be using various supplements throughout my journey. I'm finishing up a bottle of Ostyar1ne right now that I have run for ~8 weeks at 20mg per day. I've been dosing an AI at .5mg EOD since the middle, and this seems to have made a huge difference in puffiness and high estrogen sides. I've also been running EndoSurge Turbo for hopefully a bit of Prolactin control. The EndoSurge will continue during my PCT.

For PCT I will be using Torem:

120mg Day 1-3 (3 caps)
80mg Day 4-14 (2 caps)
60mg Day 15-28 (1 cap)

I will also be using Reduce XT, Supremacy 2.0 and possible either Ep1c and/or Myosynergy. Also thinking about throwing some ArA into the mix, as well as Soy Lecithin.

I will also be using basics as well: Orange Triad, Orange Oximega, Creatine/Betaine/PS (Vital1ty). I'm almost out of Conqu3r right now, need to order some more, but I will have Focus XT, White Flood Reborn, Hemavo2 Max, etc. for preworkouts.

Here's my current DUP transition block. I started out pretty conservatively, as I will be moving from 3/week training 5/3/1 style with only hitting each main lift once a week (if at all some weeks), to hitting the main lifts (Squat, OHP, Bench, Deadlift) 2x week in this block with more volume.

DUP transition.jpg

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stats

Many may already know that I have not been a lifter for that long. I was a sedentary kid and young adult, never played sports, always a nerd ;) I discovered lifting after I was tired of being fat. At the time I weighed in at around 335 lbs. with ~45% BF.

Now I weigh in around 240#, and my BF% is somewhere in the mid to high teens. I'll post up a pic next week to show the differences beforte and after my current Ostar1ne cycle, during which I ran 11-OXODERM during the first 4 weeks. I think I have made some decent mass gains during this time, and am anxious to see the difference between those first pictures and the upcoming ones. I know my strength has increased, and hopefully i will be able to retain both the mass and strength gains and keep pushing forward to more!

I will be striving for the mystical recomp in my PCT as well. I'm honestly not sure if I will ever "cut" in the traditional way any more, as I don't really have an interest in BB competition or anything. I simply want to be at a healthy BF% and stronger. A PL comp could be in my future if I can get my Squat form right and make some decent progress.

As far as diet goes, I have been eating a ton during my Ostar1ne run and gaining almost no weight. I work a sedentary desk job during the day and at UPS as a preloader for about 3-4 hours a night M-F. I have no idea how to calculate that TDEE, so I'm just logging food into MFP and trying to adjust as needed, especially if I feel weak or my recovery is slower. I generally use two scoops of protein a day, and have been getting ~200g Protein a day, which equals ~.82g/lb. I've averaged ~3000 calories a day since February 10, with a couple of days that are not accurate due to forgetting to log food ;)

I am not limiting carbs or fat at all. I have been almost unconsciously calorie cycling as well, eating less on rest days. I may try to be more even with my intake.

I can already feel a bit more soreness from the added volume, but nothing bad. This is why I decided to transition instead of jumping straight into a full DUP program.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today's training:

Preworkout today was 1 scoop of Katana and one scoop of Hemavo2 Max. The pump was almost debilitating during my arm training, LOL. My rear delts were pumped like crazy!

Bench:

Warmup was about 5 sets starting with the bar and as explosive as possible.

Working sets were:

165 3 X 3

I did these as explosive as possible, with a pause. They felt super easy, and have me rethinking my conservative estimates on 1RM. Then again, better to start out light than too heavy.

Standing OHP

I did a few sets just to get moving good and focus on form.

Working sets:

100 X 3 X 5

These were way too easy. All reps were explosive and easy.

Face Pulls:

5 X 15 @ 120#

DB Hammer Curls:

2 X 15 X 15# DBs

Regular DB Curls:

2 X 15 X 15# DBs

1 X 8 X 30# DBs

Tricep Bar Pushdowns

5 X 15 @ 120#

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rest day today and tomorrow. Took my son to a local Civil War fort where they had a fossil hunt instead of an egg hunt, egg hunt is tomorrow :)

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Subd! Get after it man

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had a good weekend, as I said before my son and I went to do some fossil hunting at a local fort, and had a picnic with a new group of friends yesterday. It was great fun, and good to get out with the family. I'm so glad winter seems to be gone.

I didn't train until about noon today, so I didn't train fasted. I had a lot of energy, and my sets felt good. Biceps are a bit sore, but nothing like I expected from hitting them three times last week, LOL. I still think my numbers are too low, Squats were pretty easy and DLs were even easier. I'm still going to stick with the weights that I started with. I forgot to mention one change to the template above. I actually started out with 10 lbs. added to Squats, just forgot to update the spreadsheet above.

Pre-workout was 1 scoop of Hemavo2 Max and 1 scoop of OL Conqu3r Demigod. Had a wicked pump going on from the Bicep curls at the end, and I could feel the blood flow in my legs increasing as well.

Here's what I did today:

Barbell Low Bar Squats:

Warm up:

45 X 10
115 X 3
135 X 3

Work sets:

160 X 5 X 5

These felt good today. I was able to hit depth pretty well, and the weight went up smoothly and quickly. I took a lot of tips from Chris Duffin's Squat video, and am trying to apply some of those techniques to stay more tight in the hole. So far, so good.

Barbell Deadlift:

Warm up:

135 X 5

225 X 5

Work sets:

245 X 3 X 5

These also felt really quick and easy. I got a lot of calories and good sleep over the weekend, so between that and the Osta strength is feeling good.

Pullups:

1 X 2

Grip and back were a little fatigued here. I really need to work onn htese. Pullups at 240 lbs. is tough, LOL.

Barbell (small) Biceps Curls:

40 X 3 X 10

This was the small barbells with the weights already attached. Strict form with elbows locked to my sides and hard squeeze at top.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man, I have been struggling to get out of bed lately. This second job is still kicking my butt, I have GOT to start getting up a bit earlier.

Hit the gym this morning fasted. Took 1 scoop of NeuroSurge 3.0, 1 sample packet of High Volume, 4 total scoops of Amino IV that I got as my free gift from the Insider :) After I had two scoops of PBC Select and some Red Velvet Pop Tarts :)

Here's my workout from this morning:

Barbell Bench:

Warm up:

95 X 5
115 X 5
135 X 3

Work sets:

150 X 5 X 5

Felt really easy. I paused each rep and attempted to be as explosive as possible without losing scapula position.

Standing OHP:

90 X 3 X 8

These felt pretty easy as well. I'm used to doing these with about this weight for 5 X 10 from BBB, so I really tried to focus on squeezing at the top and slow negatives.

Delt Destroyers:

30# DBs X 60 (Hang and swing)
15# DBs X 30 (Hang and swing)
7.5# DBs X 10 (Full ROM with squeeze at top)

These are always brutal. My rear delts were super pumped and on fire when I got done. I do these once a week, with Face Pulls for the other Rear Delt session.

Overall, a great workout. First time trying High Volume and I was pretty impressed. I have one more sample of Blue Frost (I used Paradise Cooler this AM), so that will give me a better idea if I want to pick some up or not.

I will post before and after pics in here when I finish my Ostar1ne off. I think there is a pretty big difference, but pics will tell the true story :) I have gained about 5-6 lbs. total over the 8 week cycle.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Took yesterday off as a rest day, per usual. This job at UPS is killing me, LOL. I didn't get off until about 11PM last night, and didn't get to bed until after 12. Up at 6:30 this morning. Lethargy has been kinda bad lately. Hoping once I come off the Osta it will subside a bit.

Hit Squats and DLs this morning, with some bicep work at the end. 1 scoop of NeuroSurge 3.0, 1 scoop of Best Creatine, 2 scoops of Best BCAA and 2 scoops of Amino IV for pre and intra.

Weighed in at 240 this morning. My weight has remained steady at about 240 or so, but I feel leaner. Only about a couple of days left on Ostar1ne :( I'll be entering PCT by the weekend. Let's hope it is a good one ;) Shouldn't be that bad, as Osta isn't that suppressive. I was hoping to have some Myosynergy/Ep1c on hand by then, but it might be added a bit later. I might also add in some X-Gels to PCT as well.

Here's my lifts from today:

Barbell Low Bar Squats:

Warmup sets:

95 X 5
115 X 5
135 X 5
155 X 3

Work sets:

180 X 4 X 3

Speed was pretty good on these, as well as depth. Focusing on tearing the floor apart and sitting back, trying to bend the bar around my back to engage lats. I've been trying to figure out my hand position to best activate my lats.

Deadlift:

Warmup sets:

135 X 5
225 X 5

Work sets:

280 X 4 X 3

These came up pretty fast as well. I'm almost considering going without a belt, as I seem to be able to get less tight with it on. Maybe it is a form issue.

Small fixed weight Barbell Curls:

45# X 5 X 10

Really focused on keeping elbows tight against my sides, no momentum. Squeeze at top. The pump was painful on these, LOL.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hitting my workout in about 45 minutes or so. Last day of Ostar1ne is tomorrow, so PCT starts Sunday.

Big weekend planned, with a park cleanup on Saturday.

Workout details, weigh in stats coming later.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, this was supposed to be purely a workout post, but it might turn into a semi-review of High Volume LOL.

I tried my sample of Paradise Cooler the other day and didn't notice a whole heckuva lot. I tried the Blue Frost sample today, and it was phenomenal. I'm not sure if the Paradise cooler being one big clump had anything to do with it, as the Blue Frost one was powdered when I opened the packet.

Long story short is that I LOVED it. I mixed it with one scoop of Neogenix NeuroSurge 3.0 (just like with the Paradise Cooler), right around 45 minutes pre-workout. I felt great today in the weight room. Felt confident and strong. I actually didn't want to quit lifting today ;)

Here's what I did:

Barbell Bench Press

Warmup Sets

95 X 5
115 X 5
135 X 3

Work Sets

170 X 4 X 3

I tried to be as explosive as possible with these. Pretty easy overall.

Standing Barbell OHP

Warmup sets

45 X 5
85 X 5

Work sets

105 X 3 X 5

These also felt easy.

Then came the part where the High Volume came into play ;)

DB Hammer Curls:

20# X 4 X 15

Face Pulls:

120# X 5 X 15

Superset with

Tricep Straight Bar Pressdown:

110# X 5 X 15

My delts and tris were on fire after this, and my biceps felt like balloons.

I finished it off with some Pec Deck:

55# X 20
60# X 15

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In the pictures above, the top pic was from February 10, the middle one was taken on March 13 and the bottom three were taken today.

Weights and approximate BF% in each picture were as follows:

February 10: 238# 19.5% BF
March 13: 243# 18.3% BF
April 10: 240 # 16.5% BF

These BF% were taken with an impedance machine, so they may not be very accurate. No idea what actual BF% is right now.

And yes, after vujade made a comment on my hairiness, I trimmed my hair down ;)

I think I see some nice recomp in these pics. Let me know what you think, guys!

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In the pictures above, the top pic was from February 10, the middle one was taken on March 13 and the bottom three were taken today.

Weights and approximate BF% in each picture were as follows:

February 10: 238# 19.5% BF
March 13: 243# 18.3% BF
April 10: 240 # 16.5% BF

These BF% were taken with an impedance machine, so they may not be very accurate. No idea what actual BF% is right now.

And yes, after vujade made a comment on my hairiness, I trimmed my hair down ;)

I think I see some nice recomp in these pics. Let me know what you think, guys!
I know when i trim my hair, it always has a positive effect on how I see myself in the mirror.
It lets me see my progress better....

Definitely look like your leaning up....

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Progress pics look good man. Keep up the hard work.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Def. Leaning out nicely!!!

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, guys! I've been training, just not posting. Sorry!

I seem to be in a bit of a funk now after my Ostar1ne ran out :( I'm on day 5 of PCT, and feeling kinda down and out. Hopefully it won't last long.

Squats and DL were Monday, with Bench and OHP yesterday. I may also need to cut back my training to 3 days per week. The 4 days a week might be catching up to me. I'm considering going to a traditonal DUP rep scheme, but may do a deload next week. I'm considering Bench and Squats three days per week with Strength, Power and Hypertrophy ranges, Deadlift twice per week with Strength and Power ranges, with added accessories. Not sure whether to leave out OHP or not.

I haven't done a deload in a while, so that may be playing into my run down feeling as well.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, guys! I've been training, just not posting. Sorry!

I seem to be in a bit of a funk now after my Ostar1ne ran out :( I'm on day 5 of PCT, and feeling kinda down and out. Hopefully it won't last long.

Squats and DL were Monday, with Bench and OHP yesterday. I may also need to cut back my training to 3 days per week. The 4 days a week might be catching up to me. I'm considering going to a traditonal DUP rep scheme, but may do a deload next week. I'm considering Bench and Squats three days per week with Strength, Power and Hypertrophy ranges, Deadlift twice per week with Strength and Power ranges, with added accessories. Not sure whether to leave out OHP or not.

I haven't done a deload in a while, so that may be playing into my run down feeling as well.
Nothing like a little rest to get the fire back. Easier said than done though. My guilt is strong...

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nothing like a little rest to get the fire back. Easier said than done though. My guilt is strong...
Agreed! I always have the unrealistic expectation of "losing my gains" after a one week deload, LOL.

I'm getting some Myosynergy today from a trade. I'm hoping that might get my recovery up a bit more. Of course, there is no substitute for sleep (which I don't get enough of). Working at UPS after my day job is kinda killing me slowly, LOL.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm starting to feel much better lately. I think my PCT is kicking in pretty well. I'm certain I wasn't super shutdown from the Ostar1ne 11-OXO cycle, but I most likely did have some suppression. Staying the course, slowly tapering down my AI and SERM.

Weight is staying pretty steady at around 240#, feeling leaner.

As I mentioned, I started Myosynergy yesterday. Haven't noticed much yet, but I'm sure it takes a bit of time to start working.

I hot Bench today for the final workout of my DUP transition block. Considering moving to a Squat 3X week variation after a deload next week. Not sure if a deload would hurt during PCT, but I really think I need it to recover a bit more. Workout felt good this morning. Pump was insane from one scoop of Neogenix NeuroSurge 3.0 and 1 scoop of HemaV02...

Here's my workout:

Flat Barbell Bench

Warmup:

95 X 5
115 X 5
135 X 3
155 X 3

Work Sets:

175 X 4 X 3

these felt pretty easy. I'm sure I could have gotten 5 reps even on the last set. I haven't tested my true 1Rm in a long while, but I feel like I am retaining my Osta gains pretty well.

Standing Barbell OHP

Warmup:

45 X 10

Work Sets:

110 X 3 X 5

I might have actually done 4 sets on this, I lost count. LOL. These were easy as well. Done belted to keep them more strict.

DB Hammer Curl:

25 X 3 X 15
20 X 2 X 15

Face Pulls:

100 X 5 X 15

Tricep Rope Pulldowns:

100 X 3 X 15

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NICE workout bro. you probably werent suppressed too bad with osta/11 oxo.
But Osta still wiped out my libido after 3 weeks, so if detnitely does enough suppression.

after you get done with PCT hit me up if you want me to help you dial in your diet.
I lost 65lbs in 10 months without the use of any stimulants and have kept if off for
2 years now. The most Ive gained back was 10lbs, but that was when I was on
my last cycle...Now I am trying to lose that last 10-15lbs so I get be shredded :)

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys, haven't been on much as my wife was in the hospital for a couple of days :(

I've lost almost 4 lbs. since last week, mostly due to not eating enough. I've been living off of protein powder for the most part, and probably haven't gone over 2,000 calories many times in the past week.

I decided to hit the gym this morning, even though it probably wasn't optimal. PCT is going well, libido has come back strong and mood is getting better as well. Energy seems good as well. I was a little surprised that my strength still seems decent.

I started 1.5 grams of X-Gels today, along with the Myosynergy I started last week. I'm pretty sure the HICA in Myosynergy helped me to retain some mass in a deficit. I've also started Reduce XT 3x day to help with PCT.

I decided to sort of see where I am with my lifts today. I did some impromptu DL and OHP testing for 1RM, with some accessory bench and arm/upper back work. Here it is:

Barbell Deadlift

135 lb x 5 reps
225 lb x 5 reps
275 lb x 3 reps
315 lb x 1 rep
365 lb x 1 rep
385 lb x 1 rep

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP)

95 lb x 5 reps
115 lb x 3 reps
135 lb x 1 rep
145 lb x 1 rep
155 lb x 1 rep (PR)

Barbell Bench Press

95 lb x 5 reps
115 lb x 8 reps
135 lb x 8 reps
135 lb x 8 reps
135 lb x 8 reps

Face Pull

100 lb x 15 reps
100 lb x 15 reps
100 lb x 15 reps

Barbell Curl

40 lb x 15 reps
40 lb x 15 reps
40 lb x 15 reps

Triceps Pushdown - Rope Attachment

100 lb x 25 reps
100 lb x 15 reps
100 lb x 15 reps

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to hear about your wife Misfit.

Lifts are looking pretty good man :)

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
myosynery with Xgels seams like a solid plan. I just picked up some Myosynergy & will be stacking it with
ABE & Endosurge Turbo once i get done with the Iron Stack Log

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, guys! The Myosynergy has very subtle effects so far. I've noticed some more vascularity, and hopefully strength retention/increase will be noticed as well.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Finally back in the gym after taking last week completely off due to my wife having meningitis :(

I hit the gym once on Friday, just to do a little testing. I tested my 1RM on DL and OHP just to see where I am. Hit 385 for one on DL (missed 405), and hit 155 on OHP (missed 165).

I honestly think the 405 was mental, as 385 went up pretty easily/quickly.

I should have probably eased into this morning's workout, as I started to cramp right after my third set of Squats, making me have to bail on my 4th set :(

Finished Bench and Deads with no problem, though. I need to do some thinking about my Deadlift placement, though. I'm thinking Monday and Friday is best, but have seen some DUP templates with three DL days. Seems like too much on top of Squatting and Bench three days a week.

Here's my workout from this morning:

Supps pre-workout:

1 cap Reduce XT, 2 Caffeine caps (200mg each), 6 X-Gels (1.5g), 1 scoop of Hemavo2 Max, 3 caps LCLT (2.25g), 3 caps EndoSurge Turbo, 5 caps Myosynergy. Wow that is a lot when I type it all out!

Low Bar Barbell Back Squat:

Warmup:

95 X 5
115 x 5

Work Sets:

145# X 3 X 8 (Was supposed to be 4 X 8, but hamstrings and groin cramped up)

Barbell Bench

Warmup:

95 X 5
115 X 5

Work sets:

135# X 4 X 8

All sets were really easy. The pump got me a little on the last set, but there was never any struggle to finish a rep.

Deadlift:

Warmup:

225 X 5

Work sets:

275 X 5 X 1

Also easy.

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hope the wife is recovering well and good to see you training!

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, guys! She seems to be doing much better. I've been training, just not posting,. Sorry for the lack of updates. I recently started taking SL granules to see how they work for me. So far, so good. Strength is still good, at the taper down on my PCT and all is well.

Weight is now hovering around 235, but strength is still good. I have switched back to 3 days per week on my DUP training, with Squats and Bench all three days (Hypertrophy, Power and Strength days). I only Deadlift on Strength days. Still have awesome vascularity and pumps, probably due to the preworkouts, MyoSynergy and X-Gels.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry for letting this log go, guys! I'm still training hard and feel like I am fully recovered from my Osta/11-OXO run.

Weight is still hovering around 240, but I haven't been tracking my macros as much as I should be the last few days. I added in 2 tbsp. of Soy Lecithin (Fearn), a couple of weeks ago. I like it so far, really feeling strong and focused. Muscles are full, feels good.

I finished out my Myosynergy and PCT stuff last week. I'm taking Blue Growth right now at night, with my preworkout concoction being generally:

1 scoop of Focus XT
1g Agmatine
3g Creatine
1.5g Betaine
2 tbsp SL
2.5g LCLT
6g Cit Mal
6 X-Gels

Hopefully will be adding in CEL Epi-Plex soon :D

Still on a DUP template, three days a week seems to be my sweet spot. 4 days a week makes me feel run down, with my night job being at UPS.

Yesterday I had my hypertrophy day. It is usually on Monday, but I improvised due to work. My other training days will be Thursday and Saturday. Threee day weekend coming up :)

I started playing D & D with my wife and son, so weekends are family game time :) I'm the DM, and so far I like 5th edition. Yes, I am a gamer nerd ;) Passing on the family gaming nerd tradition :D

Here's what I hit yesterday:

Low Bar Squats:

Warmup sets with 95, 115, 135

Work sets: 160 X 3 X 8

These were pretty easy. I've been increasing weight with no issue from week to week, really enjoying DUP so far. Squats are feeling much more solid and natural. Practice makes perfect!

Bench:

Warmup sets with 95, 115, 135

Work sets: 155 X 2 X 8, 1 X 11

I decided to do an impromptu AMRAP set on my last set. I probably could have gotten 12 or 13 reps pretty easily, but didn't have a spotter. My Bench is also benefiting from increased frequency.

Face Pulls superset with Tri Rope Pushdowns:

110# X 3 X 15

Fixed Barbell Curls:

50# X 3 X 10

DB Standing OHP:

40# X 3 X 8