Question regarding crossfit

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Hello AM readers, I'm Drew. Last year was pretty insane and I neglected my training. I've refocused and I am once again dedicated to my training, however before you flame me, yes it is crossfit. I had a few questions about it, first I know the serious pitfalls that exist with the training style.
My biggest issues with the draw backs of crossfit are:
1) The average cross fitter looks like they've never picked up a weight in their life and most aren't really all that strong either.
2) The workouts seem to cardio-redundant and don't prioritize strength enough.
3) While the workouts definitely feel like I'm benefitting, I'd like to be able to address some of the failures on crossfit's programming, such as the serious neglect toward chest work.

My thought was to implement some form of accessory program that would more closely resemble a very basic strength program such as 5x5 or 5/3/1. 5/3/1 would most likely be my choice. I'm wondering though, because of the focus placed on conditioning, or Metcon if you'd prefer, will this time spent on conditioning negatively impact recovery, also I don't want to 5 days in the gym, I need to be able to recover. I was thinking of structuring a M/W/F crossfit and T/Th 5/3/1 program. There is a program written by Jim Wendler that is for people that can only workout 2x a week.
What are peoples overall thoughts on this? Aside from the overall hate for crossfit, I'm genuinely interested in real perspectives.
-Thanks

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
My biggest question, if crossfit isn't working for you or you don't like it why do it at all?

Switch to a good weight program.

Crossfit can be great but its not for everyone

max d

Awards
  • Established
Since you will probably get an injury from crossfit you wont be able to do a strength program haha jk. I dont do crossfit but if you enjoy doing it just take 1 day of crossfit and replace it with a strength day. If you cant reach your goals that way then drop the crossfit and pick up more weights.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid competitive crossfitters usually train like this: strength work, metcon, skill work. Start your session by getting stronger, then condition, then work on the specific skills inherent to Crossfit, whether it be gymnastics, Olympic lifts, jumprope, whatever it may be. I don't know why you're worried about chest work, get strong and that'll take care of itself. Rich Froning, Jason Khalipa, Sam Dancer, these guys are brutally strong and don't have small pecs. Take care of the big picture and the small details will fall into place.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Thank you to those that replied, and for the confusion, it's not that I don't like crossfit, in fact I really love it, I was asking more along the lines of whether or not you all think 5/3/1 and crossfit could be done in a way that compliments each program. I think the biggest pitfall that crossfit has is still it's lack of programming. I certainly want a solid physique but I'm not a bodybuilder, I want the strength that 5/3/1 previously helped me achieve and the high work capacity and fitness that crossfit can provide. For those that commented on this, thank you. I'm going to take your advice.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
would you alter between heavy lifting and crossfit?

If you ran a PHAT routine you could work it so the crossfit sessions are your hypertrophy days.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
How would I blend PHAT and crossfit to make the crossfit my hypertrophy? Looking at most crossfit routines they don't seem to look like good hypertrophy routines.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
How would I blend PHAT and crossfit to make the crossfit my hypertrophy? Looking at most crossfit routines they don't seem to look like good hypertrophy routines.
I've honestly never done crossfit but just know they use lighter weights and higher reps, which would work as the alternate days to power lifting.

I could be way off base, I am a PHAT fan but pretty in the dark with crossfit

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hello AM readers, I'm Drew. Last year was pretty insane and I neglected my training. I've refocused and I am once again dedicated to my training, however before you flame me, yes it is crossfit. I had a few questions about it, first I know the serious pitfalls that exist with the training style.
My biggest issues with the draw backs of crossfit are:
1) The average cross fitter looks like they've never picked up a weight in their life and most aren't really all that strong either.
2) The workouts seem to cardio-redundant and don't prioritize strength enough.
3) While the workouts definitely feel like I'm benefitting, I'd like to be able to address some of the failures on crossfit's programming, such as the serious neglect toward chest work.

My thought was to implement some form of accessory program that would more closely resemble a very basic strength program such as 5x5 or 5/3/1. 5/3/1 would most likely be my choice. I'm wondering though, because of the focus placed on conditioning, or Metcon if you'd prefer, will this time spent on conditioning negatively impact recovery, also I don't want to 5 days in the gym, I need to be able to recover. I was thinking of structuring a M/W/F crossfit and T/Th 5/3/1 program. There is a program written by Jim Wendler that is for people that can only workout 2x a week.
What are peoples overall thoughts on this? Aside from the overall hate for crossfit, I'm genuinely interested in real perspectives.
-Thanks
None of those things are reflective of a downfalls of a good crossfit program. As herder mentioned solid crossfit programming takes into account skill work (gymnastics and form work), strength (usually in bodyweight, powerlifting, and weightlifting movements), and conditioning (via metcons and monomodal energy systems work).

I think that leaves you with 2 options:
1) If you train at an actual crossfit gym or somewhere with access to all the tools you need and you enjoy that style training then start following an effective blog. They'll have planned training that isn't just haphazardly thrown together and should make sure it covers all avenues.
2) If you don't or don't want to follow something like that then get on a regular strength and hypertrophy program and occasionally replace what you would normally do for HIIT cardio with certain metcons.

In general I wouldn't recommend trying to throw random strength and crossfit workouts together and just hope they mix right.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crossfit programming? Isn't that Glassman throwing darts at a board with oly lifts on it? :p