TGR's Training: 5-3-1, Mountain Dog, and whatever else...

Page 3 of 345 First 12345 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by turff49 View Post
    Going to have those arms all bulging, veiny, and pumped before the game!
    Brutal - 100x19 it's a wonder the arms didn't explode!!
    Have fun at the game today!
    Thanks man, and there is no way that that 100 is actual weight. That machine and the one I did leaning reverse extensions are off. 100=40-50 and 10=20 on the other.
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

2. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    Thanks man, and there is no way that that 100 is actual weight. That machine and the one I did leaning reverse extensions are off. 100=40-50 and 10=20 on the other.
    Look down at the bottom and see if there is a lever that switches it from lighter to heavier. We have one like that.
    FINAFLEX REP
    Visit our website at finaflex.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/255232-turff49-quest-success.html#post4620379
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by turff49 View Post
    Look down at the bottom and see if there is a lever that switches it from lighter to heavier. We have one like that.
    There is, and it's broken. Lol
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

4. I guess that means you got bored! Lol Great arm pump session!! Have fun!!
    The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40:28b-29

5. ....and this is why those pipes looked BIG in that video bro... solid
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    Hey guys, I know that you sometimes go beltless on squats and deads, does the same apply to OHP? I've never worn a belt on them before.
    I never wear a belt on standing OHP press unless I'm going for a heavy PR set or maxing out. I actually use it less than on squats and deads even. The entire point of standing vs seated is to get more core work (and lifting things straight up over your head feels very alpha). But a belt will allow maximum core activation; use it on your PR sets of 5/3/1.

Another thought on belts & supportive gear in training: if you feel you need it/really want it, use it. You don't owe anyone any justifications, and sometimes it's good to have some handicaps to help you be stronger. I put some elbow sleeves on for my heaviest benchpress today, just because I wanted them. @Sean1332 often boxsquats with that big foam pad, for example. Is 612lbs on the SSB not good work, just because it's not a freesquat? Of course not.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

7. Yep, Hyde is spot on. Use a belt on your AMRAP sets only.

8. That would depend if he's comfortable doing them without a belt. Now TGR said he's never used one so he's probably good to go, but the standing OHP is one of the easiest exercises to tweak the back. Especially if you "think" you can handle the weight and when you are at 90% into the lift you realize you went to heavy. Just throwing that out there for some of the more Novice lifters that may read this.

Me personally, I don't like belts. I think they give a false sense of safety. I see some guys wear them doing everything.
    FINAFLEX REP
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/255232-turff49-quest-success.html#post4620379

9. Good info guys, thanks.

My back feels better wearing them on squats >200, but I'm not certain how much I notice a difference in deads.

I'll start with using them for amraps and heavy singles only.

10. Agree with using a belt if you feel the need or you are approaching a PR. However, I learned that you grow stronger in developing stability of the core without one. I believe one of our lifting goals is to "live to lift another day". As we all know, a tweaked back muscle will definitely take it's toll on your progress.
    May I suggest using this app to track your bloodwork tests:
    myBloodTracker for IPhone and IPad
    https://appsto.re/us/vvMndb.i

11. Trying so hard to get into the gym today but it's not looking promising. Won't be able to go again until Thursday.

12. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    Trying so hard to get into the gym today but it's not looking promising. Won't be able to go again until Thursday.
    Sucks

13. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    Trying so hard to get into the gym today but it's not looking promising. Won't be able to go again until Thursday.
    Do it!!! Use Wendler's "I'm not doing jack sh!t today" template - for when you are mega crunched for time, life is happening, or you just don't care about training at all. You storm through the doors of the gym, blast through your main sets pretty much only resting fully before the PR set, crush that and walk out. Boom - 30 min, probably in street clothes, and you get to keep your strength progress moving in the right direction.

You can't do this on the reg and expect good progress, but once in a while won't be noticeable, but it will allow you to stay strong. I had to more or less do this Friday. Came in, hit my competition squats, my oly squats, and when I was getting tweaks on my pause squats (a recurring issue) I said F it and did 5 sets of heavy cable abs and walked out.
    [email protected]

14. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Do it!!! Use Wendler's "I'm not doing jack sh!t today" template - for when you are mega crunched for time, life is happening, or you just don't care about training at all. You storm through the doors of the gym, blast through your main sets pretty much only resting fully before the PR set, crush that and walk out. Boom - 30 min, probably in street clothes, and you get to keep your strength progress moving in the right direction.

You can't do this on the reg and expect good progress, but once in a while won't be noticeable, but it will allow you to stay strong. I had to more or less do this Friday. Came in, hit my competition squats, my oly squats, and when I was getting tweaks on my pause squats (a recurring issue) I said F it and did 5 sets of heavy cable abs and walked out.
    Ha. I was considering this. It looks like I won't be back until late and I have to pack for the hunting camp.

I think I'll stay tonight instead of leaving really late, get up early tomorrow to hit OHP and squats, then head out.

15. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    Ha. I was considering this. It looks like I won't be back until late and I have to pack for the hunting camp.

I think I'll stay tonight instead of leaving really late, get up early tomorrow to hit OHP and squats, then head out.
    Boom. Bare bones, get in get out. Only take a fat rest before PR attempts, everything else is just practicing your lifts.
    [email protected]

16. One minute rests on all sets in supersets, except for the AMRAPs. 3m on those.

Barbell Squat 351

Set 1 : 45x5
    Set 2 : 135x5
    Set 3 : 155x5
    Set 4 : 185x3
    Set 5 : 210x3
    Set 6 : 240x3
    Set 7 : 270x9

Barbell Shoulder Press 154

Set 1 : 45x5
    Set 2 : 60x5
    Set 3 : 80x5
    Set 4 : 95x3
    Set 5 : 110x3
    Set 6 : 125x3
    Set 7 : 140x3

SUPERSET:

Lying Leg Curls 209.67

Set 1 : 125x10
    Set 2 : 140x10
    Set 3 : 155x10
    Set 4 : 170x7

Dumbbell Bent Over Delt Raise 40

Set 1 : 30x10
    Set 2 : 30x10
    Set 3 : 30x10
    Set 4 : 30x10

TRISET:

Leg Extensions 300

Set 1 : 140x20
    Set 2 : 180x15
    Set 3 : 225x10

Six-Ways 6.67

Set 1 : 5x10
    Set 2 : 5x9
    Set 3 : 5x8

Banded O&B's 4

Set 1 : 3x10
    Set 2 : 3x5
    Set 3 : 3x5

I am a little disappointed in my AMRAPs.

Oh well, headed to the camp. It's gonna be a blast if it doesn't rain.

I also found out that there is a gym there and it's included in the membership I pay here in Jacksonville. If I don't feel like riding around in the four wheeler during the day, I'll be able to hit the gym up.

I'll also catch up on everyone's logs later.

17. Wow, squats and then barbel presses. That's brutal in itself. Very taxing! Strong #'s too.
    Have fun this week, hopefully it doesn't rain and stays cool! Hit the gym at least one day and then enjoy the break...
    FINAFLEX REP

18. Still looks pretty freaking impressive to me! Glad you got one in before you headed out! Have fun at the camp!
    The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40:28b-29

19. Always good to have some options! Mind you I think the 4 wheeling sounds awesome, and you do deserve a break.

20. Quote Originally Posted by turff49 View Post
    Wow, squats and then barbel presses. That's brutal in itself. Very taxing! Strong #'s too.
    Have fun this week, hopefully it doesn't rain and stays cool! Hit the gym at least one day and then enjoy the break...
    Rain starts late tonight and runs up to 100% for tomorrow afternoon. No biggie, we'll have plenty of hunt time.

Thanks Turff!

Quote Originally Posted by love2liftkat View Post
    Still looks pretty freaking impressive to me! Glad you got one in before you headed out! Have fun at the camp!
    Me too. I hate running out of town on consecutive day off from the gym.

Thanks Kat!

Quote Originally Posted by wasme View Post
    Always good to have some options! Mind you I think the 4 wheeling sounds awesome, and you do deserve a break.
    May have some time to go tomorrow while it's raining.

Went four-wheeling today with kiddo and the dog. Kiddo shot his first shotgun, and we saw a couple deer while riding. Was fun!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416863078.883432.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  86.4 KB

21. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    Kiddo shot his first shotgun, and we saw a couple deer while riding. Was fun!
    My daughter will get her first bb gun for xmas this year. I can't wait to see her face when she opens it. It's pink.
    Strong Supplement Shop
    - Board Rep -
    Check out our deals at strongsupplementshop.com

22. Quote Originally Posted by mountainman33 View Post
    My daughter will get her first bb gun for xmas this year. I can't wait to see her face when she opens it. It's pink.
    Oh, heck ya!

23. Quote Originally Posted by mountainman33 View Post
    I sat out by the woods and shot at anything that moved for a week after I got my first bb gun when I was a kid. It was like 25* outside lol
    [email protected]

24. Crazy OHPs! You and your boy together = priceless!
    May I suggest using this app to track your bloodwork tests:
    myBloodTracker for IPhone and IPad
    https://appsto.re/us/vvMndb.i

25. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post

I sat out by the woods and shot at anything that moved for a week after I got my first bb gun when I was a kid. It was like 25* outside lol
    I'm hoping she'll do the same. And I'm hoping it pisses her mother off. :-)
    Strong Supplement Shop
    - Board Rep -
    Check out our deals at strongsupplementshop.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Danb's Mountain Dog and everything else log
    By Danb2285 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 1849
    Last Post: 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM
  2. Kbayne Reverse Dieting, Mountain Dog, and Much More
    By kbayne in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 324
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 11:34 AM
  3. Mountain Dog / John Meadows Intra-Product
    By The Solution in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-01-2014, 06:54 PM
  4. My dog and his paw problem!
    By pantera101 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 01:48 PM
  5. how do you train the muscle inbetween the tricep and bicep?
    By stankydanky in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 05:26 PM