Liftandswim's Log

Page 3 of 154 First 12345 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    If you want to keep the external rotation torque on your descent, you're going to have to leg curl yourself down into the hole. Nice freaking squat, man. Congrats.
    Ah, okay. That actually makes sense to me. Thanks herder


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    AMRAP squats are no fun. Good work bud
    Probably would have been good for 15-16, but my technique would have been in the toilet so I racked it.
    •   
       


  3. Congrats on the PR brother.

  4. Watched it yesterday, but wasn't home all day so didn't want to type a lot on my phone.

    1) Congrats on the PR! I think you had more in you, but always good to hit a PR, leave some in the tank, and know you can keep building than to overshoot and fail in training.

    2) Work on the walk out. Yours isn't too bad, but you could be a little more deliberate with your steps. Even if it doesn't save you more energy, I find a more authoritative walkout does me well for the "mental" side of the weight. Kind of you taking control of it and not letting it dictate the terms of your lift.

    3) I don't think the knee travel is a big issue. Only really that little extra bit at the bottom. I've watched it a lot and I think (I can't totally tell so a little guess work) it is because you lose a bit of tightness at end range. It almost looks like a minor buttwink or loss of tension that results in the weight shifting forward a bit. You may even be able to not get that low and still hit depth.

    4) For the feet screwing into the ground I like to get this idea just standing with no shoes. Assume your squat stance. Then think of grabbing the ground with your toes, almost stretch your toes out, and see if you notice your glutes turn on more. You can stand with feet normal and with the toes stretched out and try to find the difference.

    When doing this it should help you with feeling the hips, allowing you to get better alignment of the knees as you descend (they'll move out and track over the feet better), and provide a more stable position. You can try screwing your feet/torquing with toes normal and toes spread trying to grab the ground. I find it is easier to have the ankle collapse (come out on the side of the foot as the knees get pushed out) if I don't try to grab the ground with my toes.

    5) Otherwise I think your form looks very good for max effort! So nice work and keep building. I'd like another angle (to see the knees from the front a bit and maybe a little higher to see your ribs/bracing), but I know we can't film one lift from multiple angles usually (I wish I could too haha).


    Inb4 someone thinks I am weird with the foot thing and TLDR.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

  5. The foot thing is a good point, bolt. Super D talks about spreading the foot so we don't roll onto our ankles while spreading the floor, and Brian Carroll talks about grabbing the floor like a monkey. All of the main lifts in 5/3/1 rely on good foot positioning and awareness, I even get better results out of my seated OHP from really planting my feet.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  6. Nice PR man! Were tied now haha. I think these guys covered everything plus they are more knowledgable than me
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html

  7. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Watched it yesterday, but wasn't home all day so didn't want to type a lot on my phone. 1) Congrats on the PR! I think you had more in you, but always good to hit a PR, leave some in the tank, and know you can keep building than to overshoot and fail in training. 2) Work on the walk out. Yours isn't too bad, but you could be a little more deliberate with your steps. Even if it doesn't save you more energy, I find a more authoritative walkout does me well for the "mental" side of the weight. Kind of you taking control of it and not letting it dictate the terms of your lift. 3) I don't think the knee travel is a big issue. Only really that little extra bit at the bottom. I've watched it a lot and I think (I can't totally tell so a little guess work) it is because you lose a bit of tightness at end range. It almost looks like a minor buttwink or loss of tension that results in the weight shifting forward a bit. You may even be able to not get that low and still hit depth. 4) For the feet screwing into the ground I like to get this idea just standing with no shoes. Assume your squat stance. Then think of grabbing the ground with your toes, almost stretch your toes out, and see if you notice your glutes turn on more. You can stand with feet normal and with the toes stretched out and try to find the difference. When doing this it should help you with feeling the hips, allowing you to get better alignment of the knees as you descend (they'll move out and track over the feet better), and provide a more stable position. You can try screwing your feet/torquing with toes normal and toes spread trying to grab the ground. I find it is easier to have the ankle collapse (come out on the side of the foot as the knees get pushed out) if I don't try to grab the ground with my toes. 5) Otherwise I think your form looks very good for max effort! So nice work and keep building. I'd like another angle (to see the knees from the front a bit and maybe a little higher to see your ribs/bracing), but I know we can't film one lift from multiple angles usually (I wish I could too haha). Inb4 someone thinks I am weird with the foot thing and TLDR.
    1. Yeah, like I said, 405 may have been in the cards, but I'd rather grab a smooth-ish PR and get out. Especially in training.

    2. This. I need to become more deliberate in everything from my set-up to my walk-out. I phone some stuff in when I'm not thinking.

    3. I honestly think I'm losing tension. I struggle with those last few inches. I don't really think it's a mobility issue though, but idk how to stay tight that last little bit? Something to work on because I agree I shouldn't have to get so deep to hit depth.

    4. Haha I completely get what you're saying about the toes/foot thing. The big thing for me is keeping that torque upon descent by "leg curling" myself down like herder mentioned. I'm able to do it on my bedroom floor so we'll see come Monday (next squat day).

    5. The gym I workout at is pretty limited in that regard. We only have one freaking squat rack and there's no way you're getting a front view unless you wanna see all groin.

    Thanks for the response bolt, I really appreciate the input from you and everyone else. I can feel pounds adding to my squat as we speak.

  8. I know what you mean about the rack. When I was at LA it was impossible to see front view

    Edit: Herder posts ass view box squats lol
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  9. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Herder posts ass view box squats lol
    It'd be completely out of line not to lol

  10. New belt came in today guys! 10mm 4in leather single prong from Titan. This motherfcker is sturdy as hell, can't wait to break it in
    •   
       


  11. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    I know what you mean about the rack. When I was at LA it was impossible to see front view

    Edit: Herder posts ass view box squats lol
    Hey man, that rack is completely surrounded by walls! Also, I'm revolutionizing powerlifting videography.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  12. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

    Hey man, that rack is completely surrounded by walls! Also, I'm revolutionizing powerlifting videography.
    Lmao
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  13. Just seen this, nice.

    Subbed.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Just seen this, nice. Subbed.
    Thanks, another fellow Ohioan

  15. Quote Originally Posted by liftandswim View Post
    Thanks, another fellow Ohioan
    Where are you at in Ohio?

  16. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Where are you at in Ohio?
    About 30 minutes west of Cleveland

  17. Nice man. I've never been, but my best friend just got a job up there. I'm excited to go to some cavs games and check out the bar scene.

  18. 8/14

    Week 2, Day 4

    OFF
    (was supposed to hit up some weighted vest walking, but life got in the way)


    8/15

    Week 2, Day 5

    Warm-up
    Cycle 1 mile
    General stretching
    Mobility

    Med Ball Rotational Throw
    10 total

    Deadlift
    245x3
    285x3
    325x3+ (10, taped)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye5I9eNRAog

    Press
    (60 seconds rest)
    120x5
    120x5
    120x5
    120x5
    120x5

    Barbell Curl
    55x10
    60x10
    65x10

    Back Raise
    BWx15
    BWx15
    BWx15

    Facepulls
    100 total

    Thoughts:
    Well I've never filmed my deadlift up until today. That's a mistake. Didn't realize my technique was so blah. On the plus side, I still hit my goal of 10 reps (grip was the limiting factor) and my new belt is boss. You guys think setting up with my hips a tad lower and setting my lats will fix the rounding? Those are the two cues I'm going to pound. I think I'll get a little better leg drive with my hips lower too, right?

    Rest of the workout was a breeze. Looking forward to insight. Stay strong AM.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Nice man. I've never been, but my best friend just got a job up there. I'm excited to go to some cavs games and check out the bar scene.
    Yeah feels good to have Lebron back. And the bar scene is what you make of it really. West 6th street is where it's at, for reference,

  20. Awesome repping, man. Just be careful with the high hippage and knee unlocking with all the reps!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Awesome repping, man. Just be careful with the high hippage and knee unlocking with all the reps!
    Thanks sean. Always something to work on. It's like my form breaks down way before strength becomes a limiting factor. I realize you'll have that especially high rep deads but it's frustrating

  22. That's why AMRAP sets can suck sometimes. There's nothing wrong with shutting things down early, or at the minimal rep requirement.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    That's why AMRAP sets can suck sometimes. There's nothing wrong with shutting things down early, or at the minimal rep requirement.
    Love AMRAP for bench and press. Starting to dislike them for squat and dead. Luckily starting week 6 of the program, wendler calls for my TM to be done AMRAP, so the load is heavy enough so that AMRAP more than likely won't exceed 5 reps.

  24. yeah deads start to get rough no matter what weight after about 6-7 reps, form just breaks down.. but yeah force those shoulders down to activate the lats, that will help your upper.you'll kinda have to figure out for yourself whether you will lift with high hips or low hips, depends on your leverages.

  25. First of all very solid work. If you grip the **** out of the bar and use the bars weight to pull your ass down a little bit while getting very tight it can help tremendously with tightness and getting the back flat. Then comes the challenge of doing that for reps. I also like to "pop balloons in my arm pits" at the top to get that tight upper back.

    Cliffs
    -use the bar to pull your hips down a little bit
    -you can use various ques to get that tight feeling in your upper back
    -brutal set broski
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  26. Thanks for feedback guys. I was out of town for the weekend and didn't feel like updating the log. Saturday I hit up a pump session and Sunday was nothing but rest and relaxation. Volume squats and Bench 5's tonight!

  27. 8/18

    Week 3, Day 1

    Warm-up
    Cycle 1 mile
    General stretching
    Mobility

    Standing Long Jump
    15 total

    Squat
    (belt-less, 60 seconds rest)
    250x5
    250x5
    250x5
    250x5
    250x5

    Bench
    (all reps paused until top set)
    185x5
    215x5
    240x5+ (11, taped)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQHQ1bfsGg

    Pull-ups
    BWx50 total

    Side Bends
    75x25
    75x25

    Tricep Pushdown
    UnknownX25
    UnknownX25
    UnknownX25

    Thoughts:
    Played with some of the new cues on squat today. Definitely felt smoother, but, again, as the reps pile up (especially with shorter rest) things kinda go south. I felt solid though. Bench went well too. To be honest, the pump was what shut me down on my AMRAP set, weird. Need to up my thoracic mobility I think. I'm a heel down kinda guy, but i still should be able to get a little better arch. Leg drive is kiiiiiiinda there, but it, too, is a process.

    As always, let me know what you think! Stay strong AM.

  28. check out Chris Duffins video'd on bench setup and arch mobility. you won't regret it
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    check out Chris Duffins video'd on bench setup and arch mobility. you won't regret it
    Will do buddy

  30. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    check out Chris Duffins video'd on bench setup and arch mobility. you won't regret it
    Just watched. I'm going to have to go in and just practice with a light weight one day. Dude is knowledgeable though, going to have to watch his other videos too.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. TX's cycle log.
    By txwakeskater in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 04:51 PM
  2. Scotty's T1 pro log
    By scotty2 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-15-2003, 04:03 PM
  3. Workout Log in Word Format
    By Matthew D in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-27-2002, 04:04 AM
  4. T1 pro log
    By DreamWeaver in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2002, 09:01 AM
  5. My Cycle Log
    By Blindfaith in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 01:59 AM
Log in
Log in