- 08-13-2014, 03:27 PM
I thought it looked great for a 20lb PR. Bit of knee travel like you mentioned. You think that's a slow descent?? Looked just not too fast/not too slow.
- 08-13-2014, 03:30 PM
08-13-2014, 03:33 PM
08-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Focus on creating torque through your feet by counter rotating your feet into the ground. You're going to feel your glutes engage and knees go out instead of more forwards. Herderdude has a pretty good explanation, too.
08-13-2014, 03:44 PM
I hear all these great cues then forget them when it's time to squat. Forever learning.
08-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Nice freakin PR. Looked great except the knee travel as mentioned. Cant complain on a 20lb PR haha. Speed was good IMO
"Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."
08-13-2014, 04:22 PM
08-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Week 2, Day 3
Cycle 1 mile
280x5+ (13, i'll take it)
(60 seconds rest)
Solid workout considering i hit a PR earlier in the day. Technique felt a little better (worked on "screwing" my feet in, but I struggled with the cue upon descent...something to play with I guess). Wish I had some film (my dad, who's also my lifting partner by the way, accidentally deleted it...he's not so good with this 21st century stuff...unless you're talking Candy Crush, the man is addicted). No worries, I love having my dad in the gym. He used to complain of knee/back pain, but after getting him in the weight room those days are in the past. He's PR'ing every week on the big lifts, makes me feel good.
So yeah, after the AMRAP set my body basically quit. Still got the work in though! I was so gassed that I couldn't even properly set up for my volume pause benches, I might as well have had my feet up in the air haha. But really no complaints, today was a good day. Thanks for all the support/feedback guys, I really do appreciate it. Stay strong AM.
08-13-2014, 11:12 PM
AMRAP squats are no fun. Good work bud
08-13-2014, 11:23 PM
If you want to keep the external rotation torque on your descent, you're going to have to leg curl yourself down into the hole. Nice freaking squat, man. Congrats.
08-13-2014, 11:29 PM
08-13-2014, 11:32 PM
08-14-2014, 01:06 AM
08-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Watched it yesterday, but wasn't home all day so didn't want to type a lot on my phone.
1) Congrats on the PR! I think you had more in you, but always good to hit a PR, leave some in the tank, and know you can keep building than to overshoot and fail in training.
2) Work on the walk out. Yours isn't too bad, but you could be a little more deliberate with your steps. Even if it doesn't save you more energy, I find a more authoritative walkout does me well for the "mental" side of the weight. Kind of you taking control of it and not letting it dictate the terms of your lift.
3) I don't think the knee travel is a big issue. Only really that little extra bit at the bottom. I've watched it a lot and I think (I can't totally tell so a little guess work) it is because you lose a bit of tightness at end range. It almost looks like a minor buttwink or loss of tension that results in the weight shifting forward a bit. You may even be able to not get that low and still hit depth.
4) For the feet screwing into the ground I like to get this idea just standing with no shoes. Assume your squat stance. Then think of grabbing the ground with your toes, almost stretch your toes out, and see if you notice your glutes turn on more. You can stand with feet normal and with the toes stretched out and try to find the difference.
When doing this it should help you with feeling the hips, allowing you to get better alignment of the knees as you descend (they'll move out and track over the feet better), and provide a more stable position. You can try screwing your feet/torquing with toes normal and toes spread trying to grab the ground. I find it is easier to have the ankle collapse (come out on the side of the foot as the knees get pushed out) if I don't try to grab the ground with my toes.
5) Otherwise I think your form looks very good for max effort! So nice work and keep building. I'd like another angle (to see the knees from the front a bit and maybe a little higher to see your ribs/bracing), but I know we can't film one lift from multiple angles usually (I wish I could too haha).
Inb4 someone thinks I am weird with the foot thing and TLDR.
Don't miss out on the next deal:http://pescience.com/insider
Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
08-14-2014, 11:00 AM
The foot thing is a good point, bolt. Super D talks about spreading the foot so we don't roll onto our ankles while spreading the floor, and Brian Carroll talks about grabbing the floor like a monkey. All of the main lifts in 5/3/1 rely on good foot positioning and awareness, I even get better results out of my seated OHP from really planting my feet.
08-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Nice PR man! Were tied now haha. I think these guys covered everything plus they are more knowledgable than me
08-14-2014, 12:05 PM
2. This. I need to become more deliberate in everything from my set-up to my walk-out. I phone some stuff in when I'm not thinking.
3. I honestly think I'm losing tension. I struggle with those last few inches. I don't really think it's a mobility issue though, but idk how to stay tight that last little bit? Something to work on because I agree I shouldn't have to get so deep to hit depth.
4. Haha I completely get what you're saying about the toes/foot thing. The big thing for me is keeping that torque upon descent by "leg curling" myself down like herder mentioned. I'm able to do it on my bedroom floor so we'll see come Monday (next squat day).
5. The gym I workout at is pretty limited in that regard. We only have one freaking squat rack and there's no way you're getting a front view unless you wanna see all groin.
Thanks for the response bolt, I really appreciate the input from you and everyone else. I can feel pounds adding to my squat as we speak.
08-14-2014, 12:09 PM
I know what you mean about the rack. When I was at LA it was impossible to see front view
Edit: Herder posts ass view box squats lol
"Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."
08-14-2014, 12:15 PM
08-14-2014, 12:17 PM
New belt came in today guys! 10mm 4in leather single prong from Titan. This motherfcker is sturdy as hell, can't wait to break it in
08-14-2014, 02:14 PM
08-14-2014, 02:30 PM
08-15-2014, 04:31 PM
08-15-2014, 05:01 PM
08-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Similar Forum Threads
- By txwakeskater in forum Cycle InfoReplies: 46Last Post: 02-07-2003, 03:51 PM
- By scotty2 in forum Cycle InfoReplies: 44Last Post: 01-15-2003, 03:03 PM
- By Matthew D in forum Training ForumReplies: 12Last Post: 12-27-2002, 03:04 AM
- By DreamWeaver in forum Cycle InfoReplies: 14Last Post: 12-24-2002, 08:01 AM
- By Blindfaith in forum AnabolicsReplies: 4Last Post: 12-12-2002, 12:59 AM