training for my first PL competition

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hey guys so i am finally going to sign up for my first meet. Im looking at the central california state open by the USPA on october 18th so i have some time to get ready. i weigh about 188-190 now at 6-1 but i wanna compete in the 181 pound weight class but ill worry about dropping weight later. i'm really making this log to track my progress and get helpful tips from my fellow powerlifters.

background- im a kinesiology major in San Diego, been training for about 3 years. i was born with a birth defect called Erbs Palsy in my left arm and it has made training for me a little more challenging because i simply don't have the range of motion for some exercises. i started lifting kind of as a way to help strengthen that arm so i could do everyday activities and i slowly fell in love with the barbell, it became my biggest passion. the biggest reason i'm doing this meet is to challenge myself and prove to myself that this wont hold me back. i dont expect to be the strongest person but im no slouch. I one day hope to inspire others that think they cant do what they really want to do to chase their dream.

lifting schedule- since ill be competing in bench, squat, and deadlift i pretty much organize my training around those lifts (which i think everybody should do)
i dont have a set schedule of exercises i just do accessory work to help breakdown and improve those lifts. So i pretty much do a push, pull, legs type split.

diet- right now eat big to get strong ill worry about dieting down later.

stats-
bench-295 my goal is 335 for the meet
squat- 365 my goal is 405 for the meet
DL- 455 my goal is 500 for the meet

thanks guys i look forward to this

P.S. i absolutely love AM you guys are my main source for most things fitness

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I'm in for this. I'm thinking I'm going to do be doing that meet as well.

I'm not the pro some of these guys are but I've competed a couple times in the USPA so I'll help with whatever I can.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks guys I've seen both of you around the forum you guys know what you're talking about I'm glad you're in. I plan on updating after each workout. I plan on training after school tonight around 8:30. Thanks again!

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright today is in the books. Here is what I did for my squat day

Back squat
135x10
225x10
315x6
335 x5 on the 5th last rep I leaned a bit forward and lost tightness in my upper back
Drop set 225x8

Weighted lunges
95lb x 60 (30 each leg)
Side lunges x40 (20 each side)

Leg press
Started heavy I had a great pump so no need to warm up
12 plates x10
16 plates x 6
16 plates x 6
Drop set 12 plates x 8

I was pretty tired so did some BS calf extensions till failure then I got out of there. (I'm not too worried about my calfs)

It was a pretty simple work out. I'm not really into fancy stuff I do what works.

So what do you guys think? Not enough volume? Too much volume? I would love some constructive criticism

FYI I always keep it fresh add new stuff to keep my body guessing. The only exercise I'm always going to do is back squat for obvious reasons.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some tricep work and and really work on my bench lockout. Ill do some shoulder work also. Mostly weighted dips and floor presses.

Thanks for reading guys

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Are you pretty much just training by feel? Or is there a set plan you're doing?

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you pretty much just training by feel? Or is there a set plan you're doing?[/QUOTE

Feel. I used to do the 5-3-1 but stopped making gains with it and I wanted to add more volume just for the fun of it. Should I get back on that?

As far as maxing out goes ill maybe max out each lift once a month to see my progress.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oops didn't mean to put what I said in the quote but you know what I mean

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
If it's working by all means keep doing it. But as you get closer to the meet you'll probably want get on something more structured.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ya man eventually I will. Especially when I start to diet down and really want to get the most out of each set. With my diet right now I feel I can afford to do it by feel. So maybe starting august I'll get on something more structured. Thanks for the input!

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just finished my bench workout. Today really made me realize I do need more structure because I always end up doing too much. So I'm defiantly going to research some good PL programs. Feel free to recommend some to me. But here is what I did

Flat barbell bench
135x10
225x8
275x4 wanted 5 but didn't have it in me
Dropped to 225x 8
Finished with close grip 185 till failure about 6 reps

Weighted dips
45lbx10
45lbx10
45lbx10
Body weight x15

Side laterals superset with front raises (dumbell)
Side 30lbs x10 3 sets
Front 45lbs x10 3 sets

Hammer incline press with 2 plates and a 25 each side
3 sets of 6

Behind head tricep extensions
60lbs x 10
Then 80 lbs 3 sets of 6 (kinda tired) disappointed with that wanted more reps

Decline hammer press
2 plates and a 25 each side 3 sets of 6

Then finished off with machine shoulder press
With 120lbs 3 sets of 8

Kinda scattered around today. I just love lifting so much it's hard for me to do less

Please recommend some PL programs

And tomorrow I'll probably just rest. Maybe go on a walk or something. I got Deadz next.

Thanks for reading!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Programs:
Wendler 5/3/1
Cube Method/365Strong
Shieko

Few others that I'll post when I remember lol

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks Sean. I've used the 5/3/1 and I always recommend it to other people. Maybe I'll try one of the other ones. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing. Thanks again!

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Conjugate
Ws4sb
Coan/phillipi (peaking program)
Juggernaut 2.0
Strong-15 (Paul carter)
Cube kingpin
Pavel 80/20

I mean there's a lot. Time to research. I just did 6 months of juggernaut and had some great progress but didnt feel like I peaked well for the meet.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys I just finished my dead lift workout. I haven't been able to do much research on a program because I've been busy with school but I'll pick my program tonight and I'll let you know.
But here is what I did

Dead lift-
135 x10
225 x 8
315x 6
405 x 3 wanted to add more but this felt heavy
Then drop set 315 x5

Jeffersons
225 x5 4 sets rotating legs

Back extensions with a 45 3 sets of 10

Machine row
Can't remember the weight but I did 5 sets of 8

Later tonight I'll do some back and bicep isolation work just for aesthetics (I'm a powerlifter but I still want to look good) is this counter productive?

And I'm craving some structure so I'll pick my program tonight and I'll let u guys know.

Thanks for reading!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I was about to start a thread like this because I'm considering my first meet Nov 8 with SPL out here in Sacramento. But I'm worried my squat is proportionately way too low so I was gonna do bench only. (no push/pull at this meet)

Should I just go with the "fuk it" mentality and go for experience?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Absolutely yes. Who gives a **** what you squat. Just got to smash PRs. That's what it's about

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Ok well this next one might help the op too. Where do you guys buy your wrestling singlets? And good quality and hopefully not bank breaking belts?

I'm gonna have to work on that fuk it mentality lol. I tend to stress about stupid **** sometimes

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
EliteFTS and Titan sell inexpensive 4" belts. EFS has a 10mm lever for under $60.

Singlets-House of pain, Anderson powerlifting, apt, EFS, Titan, or Amazon

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have two singlets that I don't plan on wearing if either of you want them.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good info guys. And I'm with Sean fukk what everybody else thinks. Just do it for you. This is my first meet but from what I've heard everybody is cool and respects you just for being there. Atleast I hope that's true haha

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's very true. No one will judge you (except the obvious judges.....) for how much you lift. They'll actually be encouraging.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This makes me very happy to hear because it has kinda stressed me.

Just do it because you love to do it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Double post.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Count me in, let's make this happen.

One thing I'm seeing is that, yes, you're training with a LOT of volume, which I love. I'm a volume guy myself. However, it's a lot of assistance volume and not a lot of competition movement volume or things closely mimicking the comp movement.

Try having a thorough warmup in the comp movement (bar/plate/quarter/plate) and hitting multiple sets at your top weight.

Then, pick a big, multijoint movement that attacks your weaknesses (opposite stance deadlift, deficit/block deadlift, GM, opposite bar/stance squat, CGBP, pin press, board press) and hit a couple heavy ass fives. Then go on to normal assistance type stuff, especially focusing on weakpoint stuff. That should hold you over until you find a power program that tickles your fancy.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Everybody is really cool at PL meets. Always very supportive.

Plus OP, I'll be competing at the same meet, so I can help ya out with all the day of stuff.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are all awesome I can't express how grateful I am to have you guys helping me out. I'm still researching programs I'll let u guys know

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright guys after reading for hours on different programs I have it down to the 5/3/1 (but the 8/6/3 version for more volume) and the cube method by Brandon Lilly. I know I would enjoy the 8/6/3 more just because of the volume but the cube looks pretty damn sexy too lol and I think the cube will peak my strength better so I'll probably go with that one. For those of you who don't know the cube breaks your lifts down to explosive, reps, and heavy days. So it has a pretty cool variations. And it gives you accessory exercises and the amount of weight for those exercises. So it probably will be smarter to go with that one. That's what I'll probably do.

I'll probably take tomorrow off to give myself a fresh start on Saturday.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I say 5/3/1 Advanced Template from Beyond 5/3/1 or Cube Kingpin from 365Strong. I've ran the Cube for a while now.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright guys this is the first day of my basic cube method. I'm staring with the weakness/bodybuilding day the I'll follow that with squat tomorrow, then bench, then deadz. I'll train 4 days a week taking my days off probably after squat and deadz then another day off when I feel I need it. The only thing I feel unclear about this program is how many warm up sets should I do before the working sets? Probably just one or 2?

So on my weakness day I'm going to focus on exercises that help strengthen/stretch my erbs palsy arm. So this is what I did

Kettle bell swing
30lbx15
50lbx10
50lbx10

Standing military barbell press
95lb x10
135lb x6
135lb x6

Incline bench dumbbell press
60lbx 8
60lbx 8
60lbx 6

Behind neck barbell press (on smith machine it's the only way I can do it)
25lbs on each side x10
45lbs on each side x6
45lbs on each side x6
45lbs on each side x6
(This lift really stretches my erbs arm)

Hammer laterall press
2 plates each side x8
2 plates each side x8
2 plates each side x6

Rope swings
20 sec x 3 sets

Side laterals dumbbell
20lbsx 10
20lbsx 10
25lbsx 8

Reverse flys
20lbsx 10
20lbsx 10
20lbs x10

Barbell rows with supinated grip
95lbs x 10
95lbs x 10
95 lbs x 10
(These are extremely hard for me)

Alright guys I know it just seems like abunch of shoulder work and it is but it's what I have always struggled with.

Training with erbs palsy sucks. I wake up everyday wishing I didn't have it and I know I would be so much stronger if I didn't have it but I just gotta deal with it.

Thanks for reading guys!

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
As many warm ups as you need man. I usually work up with 6 or 7 sets.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know I'm not following the program exactly but I am following the main principles to it. The bench, squat, and dead lift, the explosive, reps, and heavy days. But I'm not liking some of the accessory lifts like for example on my bench day it has me dong tricep push downs instead of like dips. Which is a much better exercise IMO. Did any of you guys alter it at all to fit you better?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't follow cookie cutter assistance templates. It's only a guide. The bulk of the program is the rotation of Heavy/Explosive/Repetition with the corresponding percents.

Main Movement
-Deadlift
Supplemental Lift
-Block pull/deficit/SLDL ect
Assistance
-Rows
-Lunges
-Core

Main
-Bench
Supplemental
-Close grip/floor press/board press ect
Assistance
-Rows
-Tri's/Bi's
-Facepulls

Main
-Squat
Supplemental
-Front squat/pause squat/wide stance squat
Assistance
-Good mornings
-Lunges

Body day
Whatever tickles your pickle.

That's my guide. I'll rotate exercises out every few weeks or so. You don't have to do a supplemental lift, and I don't a lot of times, but it's pretty easy to just change up grip or stance for two sets and hit some reps. Assistance work should attack weak points in your kinetic chain and/or competition lift. Sometimes I'll do less than I wrote, more than I wrote, more fluff, more/less volume/frequency. Every other week I'll hit a back movement 3x/week, the other week 2x/week. It's always evolving.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't follow cookie cutter assistance templates. It's only a guide. The bulk of the program is the rotation of Heavy/Explosive/Repetition with the corresponding percents. Main Movement -Deadlift Supplemental Lift -Block pull/deficit/SLDL ect Assistance -Rows -Lunges -Core Main -Bench Supplemental -Close grip/floor press/board press ect Assistance -Rows -Tri's/Bi's -Facepulls Main -Squat Supplemental -Front squat/pause squat/wide stance squat Assistance -Good mornings -Lunges Body day Whatever tickles your pickle. That's my guide. I'll rotate exercises out every few weeks or so. You don't have to do a supplemental lift, and I don't a lot of times, but it's pretty easy to just change up grip or stance for two sets and hit some reps. Assistance work should attack weak points in your kinetic chain and/or competition lift. Sometimes I'll do less than I wrote, more than I wrote, more fluff, more/less volume/frequency. Every other week I'll hit a back movement 3x/week, the other week 2x/week. It's always evolving.

Extremely helpful. You're the man Sean thanks a lot. Today I'm taking off then ill squat tomorrow. Thanks again!

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys hope you all had a nice weekend. I just finished my explosive squat workout this is what I did

Power squat-
Warm up- 2 sets of 10 at 135lb
8 sets of 3 at 235lb

Olympic squat
2 sets of 5 at 245

Pause at parallel squat (loved these
3 sets of 8 at 215

Leg press
4 plates each side x15
4 plates each side x 15
5 plates each side x 10
Attempted another set but realized I shouldn't push it too hard because the program clearly says not to fail.

I was going to do some lunges but was in a hurry cuz I gotta right a paper for class. And I felt pretty good after those exercises. It feels good to have some structure. I wanted to do front squat instead of Olympic but I haven't done it for awhile and like I said I was in a hurry but I'll defiantly do it next squat day. I need to build my front squat back up like it was when I was In high school.

And I have a question for you guys what do you do to warm up your knees? I've tried everything and they always hurt for the first few squat sets before they get warmed up.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man my knees are killing me now just sitting down. Its starting to scare me. I'm almost glad I didn't do any lunges.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I would honestly make your warm ups longer. You did two sets of 10 at 135 then jumped right into it. I would hit just the bar for a few sets. Then 135 for a few reps. Then 185 for a few low rep sets. Then hit that 235. I also never do more then 5 reps on a warm up, but I do more sets. That way I'm not tired for the working sets.

You could also hit up a general cardio warm up, few minutes on a treadmill. Before your squat warm ups.

Do you wear knee sleeves? They're wonderful.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would honestly make your warm ups longer. You did two sets of 10 at 135 then jumped right into it. I would hit just the bar for a few sets. Then 135 for a few reps. Then 185 for a few low rep sets. Then hit that 235. I also never do more then 5 reps on a warm up, but I do more sets. That way I'm not tired for the working sets. You could also hit up a general cardio warm up, few minutes on a treadmill. Before your squat warm ups. Do you wear knee sleeves? They're wonderful.

Ya I need to start taking my time with the warm up. I've never had this problem before. And I'll look into knee sleeves.

I'm about to do my rep bench press workout I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the tips man.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just finished my bench workout for reps. And oooo it was fun here is what I did

Bench
Warm up (took my time haha)
Bar x8
95 x8
135 x 6

Working sets
3 sets of 10 at 205

Close grip
1 set of 6 at 215 (this felt heavy I've always struggled with close grip because my erbs palsy elbow always flares out, there is nothing I can do about it) so I lowered the weight for my last set
1 set of 6 at 205

Bench with pause 1 inch off chest (love these pause sets)
3 sets of 10 at 195 ( struggled with the last set but got it)

Weighted dips
Body weight warm up x10
3 sets of 10 with 45lb

Machine cable flys
3 sets of 10 with 45lb each hand

Decline hammer press
3 sets of 8 with 2 plates each side

Tricep push downs with rope
3 sets of 10 with I think 60lb? I forgot

And there it is. My knees feel perfectly fine today. Tomorrow is a rest day according to the program. Probably do some light cardio and core work and defiantly foam role.

Thanks for reading guys!

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright guys just finished my heavy dead lift work out I felt great today this is what I did

Warm up
5 min bicycle
5 min row machine

Dead lift
135x 5
225x 5
315x 5
Working sets
5 sets of 2 at 355

Deficit dead lift at 2 inches
2 sets of 5 at 325

Block pulls
225x5
315x5
2 sets of 3 at 375

Straight leg dead lift
3 sets of 8 at 225

Machine row
3 sets of 10 at 150

Lat pull down
3 sets of 10 at 135

Farmers walk
85lb dumbells
4 sets at like 20-30 yards a set

Shrugs
3 sets of 10 at 225

So far I'm loving the program I haven't decided if I'm going to take tomorrow off or do my bodybuilding/weakness day

Thanks for reading guys!

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did my weakness/bodybuilding day today this is what I did

Warm up bike for 10 min

Standing Military press
Bar x10
3 sets of 10 at 135

Curls on machine(only way I can do curls)
4 sets of 10 (single arm) 40 lb

Hammer shoulder press
3x10 1 and a half plates

Reverse flys
3 sets of 15 20lb dumbells

Dumbell lateral raises
3x 10 with 20lb

Supinated rows on machine
3x10 140lb

I think I might be forgetting something but it isn't too important lol

Tomorrow is defiantly an off day.
Have a nice Friday guys

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just finished my squat for reps workout. Felt like a long workout.

Warm up
Bike 5 min
Row 5 min

Squat
Bar x6
95lb x6
135 x6
185 x6
225 x6
Working sets
245lb 3 sets of 10

Front squat
135 x6
225 x6
265 2 sets of 6

Pause at parallel squat
225 2 sets of 12

I felt beat as hell after that I'm not used to that many reps and sets. Seems like a lot but I'm taking my time now to warm up my knees and doing a lot more warm up sets. I felt strong also like I could do a lot more weight. But eventually the amount of reps got to me.

I was really wanting to hit some lunges and weighted step ups after that but there was no way I could, I could barely walk.

I ended up just doing one legged presses on the leg press then left I did like 3 sets of 10 each leg. My legs felt beat but my knees felt a lot better walking out of the gym.

Next squat day i defiantly need to hit more accessory lifts.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You'd be surprised how few accessories you need to do after hitting three different squat variations. I would usually do my three kinds of squats, GMs, and GHRs and call it a day. Unilateral leg work would be a good bet.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good advice I need to learn that more isn't always better. Especially for powerlifting lol.

Well anyway I just did my heavy bench day this is what I did

Bench-
135x 8
185x 8
225x 5
Working sets
5 sets of 2 at 245lb

Close grip
2 sets of 2 at 255lb

Bench with Pause 1 inch off chest
2 sets of 6 at 225lb

Weighted dips
Body weight x15
45lbx 10
50lbx 10
50lbx 10

Decline hammer press
Set of 10 with 1 and a quarter each side
2 sets of 10 with 3 plates each side

Behind neck tricep extension with dumbbell
60lb x 10
80lb x 6
80lb x 6

I felt great today, really strong, I wanted to add weight on bench. But I felt it was a good workout. I also added weight on most of the accessory lifts I just really felt good.

Have a good start to your week guys

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys I just finished my explosive deadlift session this is what I did

Warm up
10 min on row machine

DL
95 lb x6
135lb x6
225 x6
275 x 6
Working sets
8 sets of 3 reps at 285

2 inch deficit DL
2 sets of 8 at 255

Block pulls
135x6
225x6
Working sets
2 sets of 5 at 315

Straight leg DL
3 sets of 10 at 185lb

Back extensions
2 sets of 10 with 45lb plate

Felt good today except I ripped one of my calluses open on my hand during the block pulls probably time to get some chalk

Tomorrow is my bodybuilding/weakness day and I'll let u guys know how it goes. Hope you are all doing well

Thanks guys.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Wow. That's some crazy volume on the PC! Good work man.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow. That's some crazy volume on the PC! Good work man.

I hate being the guy to ask what that is lol but I just googled PC and all I could find was the muscle that let's us ejaculate lol. So what do you mean PC?

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I hate being the guy to ask what that is lol but I just googled PC and all I could find was the muscle that let's us ejaculate lol. So what do you mean PC?
Haha. That's... Not it.

Posterior chain.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha. That's... Not it. Posterior chain.
Haha cool and ya thanks I felt great and realllly love all these dead lift variations.

Btw if anybody has any advice on my workouts let me know. Is there anything I'm doing or not doing that you guys would add or subtract?