Wades Log: improvement has its costs

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Ok, so I'm gonna jump in on this work log thang. Mostly just to hold myself, and anyone else who joins me, accountable for improving. The goal of my log is to actually SEE numbers improve, to break plateaus, and to gain even more advice and knowledge from all of you.

First logged improvement: PR on my squat yesterday at 295lbs. My squat IMO is pretty weak, and I've been struggling with getting a new PR for a while. It was an ugly squat, but all I could hear in my brain was Sean1332 yelling "screw your feet to the floor and squeeze your arse!!"

Today's workout:
Warmup row 500M

Barbell complex: SLDL, hang power clean, front squat, push press. 6 reps each movement. 45lbs x2, 95lbs x2, 115lbs x2

Bench press: (another lift I need to improve)
115 2x10 (warmup)
135 2x10
165 2x6
175 1x5
185 2x3
195 2x1
215 1x1
165 1x5
135 2x10

Incline DB press
30 1x8
45 1x8
55 2x6
60 2x6
65 2x5
70 1x3
45 2x8

Dips: 3 sets of 8

Hanging leg raises: 3 sets of 10.

My "splits" are sporadic and weird....hang on folk!!
Cheers,
Wade

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Today is going to be a rest day. I have a habit of not giving myself any recovery time if I have had a recent long break , so gotta make sure I done over do it right off the bat.

DL day tomorrow.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In first for improvement!

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
New England clam chowdah and Sam Winter Lager.... Swell food for northerners!!! (Zero bro science, all fact!)

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
New England clam chowdah and Sam Winter Lager.... Swell food for northerners!!! (Zero bro science, all fact!)
Love real New England clam chowder! Zero degree science! Lol

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Today's work:
Warmup 500M row, foam rolling the shït outta everything that hurts (so everything). Band stretches for shoulders and groin.

OHP:
45 2x10 (warmup)
65 2x8
95 2x10
115 2x5
125 2x5
135 1x3
140 3x1
150 (fail.....shït, dammit, grrrr)
135 2x1
115 2x3
95 2x5

Dead lift (sumo then conv. for all sets)
135 8Sx8C
185 8Sx8C
225 5Sx5C
245 5Sx5C
335 5Sx5C
365 3 sets 3Sx3C
315 6Sx3C
225 10Sx5C

Wanted to go heavier but I felt a lil sloppy today, so played it safe... Hate days like that. Walking away from higher weights sucks, but keeping the reps up made it feel a tad better

Weighted pull ups and ring dips
5 sets if 5 each with 35lbs.
Cheers,
Wade

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First logged improvement: PR on my squat yesterday at 295lbs. My squat IMO is pretty weak, and I've been struggling with getting a new PR for a while. It was an ugly squat,
Congrats on your PR Wade....! Good stuff
Keep tight and stick form however. Getting a PR but compromising safety, will not get you the momentum you need to keep barreling on and up.
Another thing you can keep in mind is "rep" PR's, where if you increase a rep count or so in the week on say your work set(s), it usually comes out to a higher 1 RM, too, so you do not always have to risk that heavy arse max single, especially if your head is not screwed down into singles that day. Just sayin'
Also, don't look at it as "pretty weak", as it is not bad at all, good work and progression and at your BW #170!?, you just need more time and dedication under the bar.

Hang in and all the best on your trek

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Thanks Paul! Dude you are 100% spot on with the "rep PR's". I get a lil tunnel vision once I get close to my 1RM though, it's like a fatty to cake, I can't help it! The fact my PR squat was ugly actually came as a shock, it was rock solid for about 80% of the lift, I just got a tad wobbly on the way up.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Topped off my day with a MASSIVE steak dinner with Mac n cheese on the side! Gotta pack on the size b4 my twin daughters are born and steal all mah gainzzz!!!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubbed. Bout time, bud. Looking forward to it.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
OLY DAY!!! I like Oly lifts because of their crazy technical difficulty. It's just a different type of challenge than what most people are used to. Today was my first Oly day in over a month, so I stayed below 75% with my lifts, buy my traps and lats are still on FIYAAA!!!!
Warmup row 500M, foam roll. Then 2 sets of 10x10x10 pull ups, push ups, and V sit ups.

Started with snatch work, alternating from block pulls just below the knee with heavy weight, to 2 touch n go reps. First weight is pulls, second is full snatches
2x135 BP then 4x45 snatch
2x185. 4x95
2x225. 2x105
2x225. 2x115
3x255. 2x125
3x275. 1x135 (1 failed attempt)
3x315. 1x135
Moved to clean n jerk, same basic set up using the heavy block pull, then moving to the lighter bar. On the lighter bar is was 2 cleans per 1 jerk.
2x225 BP. Then. 2x1@135
2x255. 2x1@165
2x275. 2x1@175
2x295. 2x1@175
1x315. 1x1@185
2x315. 1x1@205

Then pasta, beer, and cake at a b-day party for my niece. (I'll call that carbo back loading)
Cheers,
Wade

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I just felt my babies kick for the first time!! Leg day from in the womb...holy crap!!!

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Subbed. How do you program your training?
welcome strong man!! My training is quite sporadic. I have goals each week to train my big 4 lifts (DL, BP, Squat, and strict press). Throwing in varying accessory work to each. I also try to Oly 2 days a week. If I get all that in, I'll have a high intensity or cardio day on the weekend. My schedule is rough, so it's hard to stick to any strict programming. I don't compete at all, and really have no desire to, so I'm not too beat up by not keeping a hardcore program, although I know it's best for my progression.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just felt my babies kick for the first time!! Leg day from in the womb...holy crap!!!
You're officially a Daddy! Congrats brother. Stressful but good times ahead! Besides, when you ever need a double spot on the bench, your boys will be there! Lol

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OLY DAY!!! I like Oly lifts because of their crazy technical difficulty. It's just a different type of challenge than what most people are used to. Today was my first Oly day in over a month, so I stayed below 75% with my lifts, buy my traps and lats are still on FIYAAA!!!!
Warmup row 500M, foam roll. Then 2 sets of 10x10x10 pull ups, push ups, and V sit ups.

Started with snatch work, alternating from block pulls just below the knee with heavy weight, to 2 touch n go reps. First weight is pulls, second is full snatches
2x135 BP then 4x45 snatch
2x185. 4x95
2x225. 2x105
2x225. 2x115
3x255. 2x125
3x275. 1x135 (1 failed attempt)
3x315. 1x135
Moved to clean n jerk, same basic set up using the heavy block pull, then moving to the lighter bar. On the lighter bar is was 2 cleans per 1 jerk.
2x225 BP. Then. 2x1@135
2x255. 2x1@165
2x275. 2x1@175
2x295. 2x1@175
1x315. 1x1@185
2x315. 1x1@205

Then pasta, beer, and cake at a b-day party for my niece. (I'll call that carbo back loading)
Cheers,
Wade
Nice work there

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
You're officially a Daddy! Congrats brother. Stressful but good times ahead! Besides, when you ever need a double spot on the bench, your boys will be there! Lol
thanks man, but no such luck for me with the spot. I'm having 2 girls.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
No gym today, the wife's honey do list came outta left field! Been having a really rough time sleeping lately, both arms getting pins n needles from the shoulders all the way to my hands. So, we decided to but a new bed. (My old one was 12 years old with lots of miles on it!). Hopefully that'll help.... I neeeeeds my sleep!!

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Not much gas in the tank today, but still had a decent go at things.
Basic warmup, nuttin fancy.
Bench
45 2x20 (10 reverse grip)
95 2x10 (5 reverse grip)
135 2x10 (5 reverse grip on set 1)
165 2x6
175 2x5
185 3x5
175 2x3
165 2x5
135 2x10

Tossed in dynamic push-ups every other set, about 10 reps each.
DB press/flies
30 5press / 5 flies
40 5 press / 5 flies
50 5 press / 5 flies
60 2 x 5press (no flies, shoulders were feelin it)
2 more sets of 10 dynamic push-ups

Squats
Light warmup...not worth mentioning.
135 5FS / 10BS
185 5FS / 10BS
185 3FS / 6BS
205 2x 3FS / 6BS
215 2FS / 4BS
185 2FS / 4BS

Bulgarian split squat
No weight x 10 reps each
25lb KB x10 each
35lb KB x 10 each
53lb KB x 5 each

Sleep...now I need sleep
Cheers,
Wade

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I have decided I need to up the high intensity work. My endurance sucks, and in my line of work, that's no bueno!
Started today with some standard rolling and stretching, yada yada.
Then ran 800M with 50lb vest.
After the run: tabata day
Abmat sit ups
Wall balls
Push ups
Row

Quick workout, but I sweat like a fat dude in a sauna!!! Prob gonna start tossing 2 days a week like this.
Cheers,
Wade

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In on this. Let's see dem gainzz!

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Rest day: although I put about 1,000 miles on the old boots today.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Great to be back in the gym, 4 days off sux! Decided to just go all out full body destruction today as penance for my break. Started with mini complexes: squat clean thrusters, split jerk, and explosive clean pull.
45 (warmup....duh) x2
95 x3
115 x3
135x2
155x2
165x2
185x2 (185 is a 10lb PR for my clean thruster) 195 x failsauce (eh, shït happens)
Strict press (still hate these with a passion)
95 2x10
105 2x7
115 2x5
125 2x3
10 hanging leg raises between each set
Deads! (I do these after strict press simply because they make me happy) Did sets of 5 conv then 5 sumo. All reps touch n go.
I usually don't like touch n go deads because I feel it's too easy to break form, but felt rock solid so I went with it. Also 10 hanging leg raises and 10 ring dips between each set. ABS BE BURNNNNIN!!!!!
Finished off with dips to L-sit on the high rings. Muscle ups were easier when I was 150lbs!!! Cheers Wade

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually don't like touch n go deads because I feel it's too easy to break form, but felt rock solid so I went with it.
Well, it is not that they are bad and in fact some lifters feel that when doing them, if you stay loaded and tight, that keeps them safer in ways. For other checking your log... don't bounce or heave just to get more weight, (Wade, I know you know that.)
Personally I do both and think both can work. IMO, it is harder to relax and reset then pull and I have had times where I have pulled a last rep and felt my hips shot up some because of fatigue, whereas I have done the same weight or even more with higher reps staying loaded and thus somewhat tighter, gaining some umph from the golgi tendon reflex. (like a rubber band so to speak)

It is another reason why some guys do top downs too, where you pull a heavy DL off the rack pins at the top and then lower, stay loaded and tight and pull it back up.

*I think the absolute most important factor in not funking up the low back when pulling is, that the lifter has to be in TOTAL control of the back position and muscles and that if they lose their control of their form, stop and let it down. (Some guys can have ranges of being arched to flat to some guys can even do it rounded) but one must always have control of the back muscles and that weight.

Good W/O and glad you are happy you got into the gym Wadester...!

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
^ thanks Paul! And I agree with what you said for sure! I guess for me it was just mental from what I have seen as far as touch n go. But if I continue to feel the way I did today, it will happen more often. Usually 315x5 starts to get hard by the end, but today it flew, and I was able to keep good tension. My 5RM is 385, resetting after each....curious to see how touch n go's will fair.
Man I love lifting heavy a$$ weight!!!!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gotta follow my favorite guy! :p

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I don't know man!! Being at Pearl Harbor has givin me a new respect for the water as well as large ships... They are pretty amazing! ^that pic is nuts, I would shart myself!!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How far is Newmarket NH from ya? Should check out your first meet.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
I'm so up in yo sh*t now wrivest!!

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
It sounds gay when you say it like that.
Maybe I wanted it too?!?! You got a problem with that Jim?!?! Lol you mirin brah?!

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Woooaaahhh! That was below the belt brah
Well unfortunetly, I'm the pole smoker that works on boats so you're relieved of some of the gayness...except the name tape on your butt.

It's not queer if you're tied to the pier!

...I think that's how it goes.

If not, then I have some apologizing to do.

Everyone else just gets to shoot guns all the time and jump out of planes.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Woooaaahhh! That was below the belt brah

f4747dcc4eb209cf95060dfc79415f2e2bdb2ea652042b76596baae3a2362b4c.jpg

Well unfortunetly, I'm the pole smoker that works on boats.

It's not queer if you're tied to the pier!

...I think that's how it goes. If not, then I have some apologizing to do.

Everyone else just gets to shoot guns all the time.

Better start apologizing then.

Also, I barely ever got to shoot.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I never get to shoot either, but my name is on a jet that's loaded to they gills right now, that count?

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
I shoot plenty and get to blow sh*t up. I avoid that now and try to stay at a desk and eat food all day and stick to my gym schedule. Military life is anti gains.