In the Gutter - Recomp / Rehab & Mobility log

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Out of the Gutter - Recomp / Rehab & Mobility log

Hello everyone. Thought I'd start up a new log here to help push myself and become more accountable. Some people may have followed or seen my Injury (SLAP and bicep tendon tear)/Surgery/Recovery Log here:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/196828-injury-log-slap.html

This is a continuation of that, but I need a new log as I pick things back up and push forward past recovery. My main goals now are recomping, while working on mobility. I have a decent amount of size back (will post pics) but lack dryness, definition and conditioning. I'm currently striving to be more athletic, fit, conditioned, and add more size in places that are lacking. IE: add symmetry and proportion

I am no longer powerlifting for the time being. My training regimen has been very unorthodox for the past months, training when I can and however I can, withstanding pain/injuries. I had a SLAP repair and bicep tenodesis, but I currently am training with an unrepaired but minor SLAP tear in my right shoulder now. It is causing trouble here and there, but at this point I know how to keep trouble at bay and work around it. I also had a mid-back injury last year (from carrying my 100 pound american bulldog up 4 flights of stairs for a week while he was injured) and have slight scoliosis - a mild 15 degree singular curvature of the spine towards the left side - no idea the cause of this - just discovered it a month ago. Possibly due to that injury. More on this later. I train with volume, but rarely include the use of barbells anymore. This log will see the return of my big 4 barbell lifts at some point (bench/squat/deadlift/rows). But for now....I will continue to train with volume while thinking/working on/forming a new training regimen, adding things in bit by bit.

** Recently I've started doing hot yoga (Moksha Yoga and Yin Yoga), to help aid mobility, flexibility and increase stabilizer strength. It's worked wonders for me and gotten me past a bad back injury that I had. I recently upgraded to an unlimited membership and will be incorporating this into my training log.

Overall, I am looking to combine the following into my own customized routine: Bodybuilding / Crossfit / Yoga

I am confident that this will help me reach my goals.

My current week looks like this (this will be changing very soon):

Day 1 Push/Pull
Quick Warmup (need more here)
- Shoulder dislocations with theraband (front to back, sometimes holding stretch at mid-back, for chest stretch)
- Stretches with green Rogue Fitness band (to help with internal rotation issues)
- band pull aparts

Workout - Chest (reps 8-12, unless otherwise specified)

- Smith Bench w/reverse grip - 6 sets
- High cable flies (one side at a time)
- 3 sets each side
- Low cable flies (one side at a time) - 3 sets each side

Workout - Back (reps 8-12, unless otherwise specified)

- Seated cable rows - 4-5 sets
- Seated pull-downs (wide grip) - 4-5 sets
- Seated pull-downs (narrow pronated grip) - 3-4 sets
- reverse flies - 4 sets (I do these while extended horizontally on the back extension machine, helps strengthen spinal erectors)
- YTW's (while extended on back extension machine) AMRAP & AMSAP

Later at night
- Hot Yin yoga (static stretches/poses)

Day 2 Legs/Arms/Core

This day is a bit lacking atm as I stopped squatting months ago due to injury, but I do leg press, split squats and such, as much as I'm feeling that day.I am also trying to incorporate hot yoga on these days, classes that utilize active poses. Will see how this goes after I start squatting again.

Day 3 - Hot Yin Yoga - 60min

Day 4 - Repeat Day 1

Day 5 - Repeat Day 2

Day 6 - 75min Hot (Yong Yin) Yoga
- first half of class is very fast & challenging- second half of class contains static stretching (on floor)

Day 7 - Hot Yin Yoga
- 90 min of static stretching in 100 degree heat

PT/Maintenance work (from home, 2-3 x per week)
- D1/D2 PNF (diagonal cable work for shoulders - from high and from low) - 3 sets of 8-12 each side, blue band (strongest available)
- D1/D2 PNF (diagonal cable work for pecs - from high and from low) - 3 sets of 8-12 each side, blue band (strongest available)

Looking forward to people joining in and exchanging ideas/thoughts/etc. I know many others in a similar situation, so I hope this log helps others as well!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Some tools of the trade below. 5/3/1 will come in handy again down the road, hopefully in a few months again.

tools-2.jpg

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Diet

Diet for this log will be a CKD.
Will post more on macros & breakdown by the weekend

Supplements

MST RPG
MST Athlytes (electrolyte caps)
Glycobol (as needed)

Will add more if I feel like adding more supps, but for now, sticking to these

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Hey man I was in your last log so I'd like to follow along with your progression. I was looking into yoga recently to help with stretching, stability, etc. How much are you paying for an unlimited package if you don't mind me asking?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey man I was in your last log so I'd like to follow along with your progression. I was looking into yoga recently to help with stretching, stability, etc. How much are you paying for an unlimited package if you don't mind me asking?
I started out with a $40 unlimited intro month. Then I signed up for a 4 month commitment and got a deal, it's now $115 per month and I got 25% off the first month, so it was only $85. Imo it's going to be worth it for me, mainly because it's heated yoga with some really great teachers, otherwise I could do yoga on my own at home with my own mat + blocks, which I often do at times for a quick stretch.

I'll post up more info soon on the different classes I'm doing.

Things are going to get expensive when I add Crossfit into the mix. I'll have 3 memberships at that point, but when that happens, I'll be trying to go less to the sports therapy clinic and will be doing more work on my own via MWOD - http://www.mobilitywod.com

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I forgot to add my PT/maintenance work to my routine in the initial post. Will update it today.

Hit the gym for 40min last night in Brooklyn, then hot yoga immediately after in Manhattan (Greenwich village). Train takes me right from the gym to the yoga studio in 25min. Not bad. Gives me time to hydrate. Will post up last night's workout shortly.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Nice yogi.

Away we go ...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Jinxie, welcome.
Posting up some photos today. Also updating Diet and Supplements list. All in the first few posts of the thread.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Giddy up, let's see some lifting here.

And why don't you put a link to this log in your signature, E.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Giddy up, let's see some lifting here.

And why don't you put a link to this log in your signature, E.
Haha true true. I've been training, just need to throw up the #'s! Will do this eve after today's workout(s)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Last Monday's Log:

Gym in Brooklyn I've been going to was super packed after work. Was able to get onto the cable machine. Looks like I'll do most of my work on this today because I have limited time before by yoga class afterwards in Manhattan. **Note to self, need to join new default gym for my volume/bodybuilding focused work.

Warmed up with some cable/band stretches

Going to do Chest / Shoulders / Back today - with the intention that I will be hitting it 1-2 times more this week if possible

Chest Workout

Forgive me for some of the terminology, and please correct me where I'm wrong.

D1/D2 PNF chest work
Starting with diagonal 1 - from outside high to inside low - focusing on pec contraction
20# x 12 reps x 1 set - each side
25# x 10 reps x 3 sets - each side

D1/D2 PNF work
Moving to diagonal 2 - from outside low to inside high - focusing on pec contraction
25# x 10 reps x 4 sets - each side

Shoulder Workout

Did some shoulders dislocations with theraband prior

D1/D2 PNF shoulder work
Starting with diagonal 1 - from high internal to low external (across body)
15# x 12 reps x 1 set - each side
20# x 10 reps x 3 sets - each side

D1/D2 PNF shoulder work
Moving to diagonal 2 - from low internal to high external (across body)
15# x 12 reps x 1 set - each side
20# x 10 reps x 3 sets - each side

Back Workout

Low Seated Cable Rows (really focusing on scapular retraction)
80# x 15
100 x 12
120 x 10 x 2

Pull-downs
100x10
120x8

Pull-downs (narrow, pronated grip)
100 x 8 x 3

Reverse Flies (15# dumbbells)
Did these on the hyper-extension machine, while holding myself out horizontally
12 reps x 4 sets

Y's (done using same method on the hyper machine)
using 5# db's
12 reps x 4 sets, holding at top

Changed and hopped on the train to yoga in the city.

60 min hot Yin Yoga class
3-5 minute long static stretches for upper and lower body, but mostly lower body hip openers, which I need MUCH help with
- felt great in all poses, no back pain during the twisting floor poses, which used to cause me pain

-----------------

Note: I did not hit the gym all week after Monday's session. Was covering for my boss at the office and very busy, late nights, exhausted.

Hitting the gym tonight though and joining a new one in Manhattan that's close to my office. I only work from the office 2-3 days per week, work from home 2-3 days. I will keep the Brooklyn membership open for now, to see how I will plan things out - I might keep both gym memberships open longterm. No crossfit as of yet. I will begin to introduce barbell complexes after each workout I'm thinking, for now.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Tonight's workout will definitely incorporate barbell movements. Will start to squat, deadlift and bench again

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Tonight's workout will definitely incorporate barbell movements. Will start to squat, deadlift and bench again
Like I said, if you want any attention around here, you will need to prove yourself with the barbell. :)

Or post sexy pics. gokix811, as well as a few of the guys who are in touch with their feminine sides, responds to those. ;)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Like I said, if you want any attention around here, you will need to prove yourself with the barbell. :)Or post sexy pics. @gokix811, as well as a few of the guys who are in touch with their feminine sides, responds to those. ;)

Haha cool.. well I'm planning to squat, incline bench and deadlift today - HST style, with volume. Followed by barbell compounds.

I'll pose for some pics this weekend.

What I'm really looking to do - to fix proportions - is increase mass in my pecs and legs, while losing fat. Everything else size wise is pretty good. Been neglecting legs, and my chest has been the toughest area for me genetically. My shoulders and back explode easily. I'm hardly training my shoulders directly, and as you can see from the avatar, they are pretty big for not really being trained. It's just genetics. WISH my chest did that lol

I'm also aiming to increase mobility in my left ankle. I'm having some issues with that in yoga. Been researching ankle mobility on MobilityWOD | All human beings should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves. but can't find anything specifically for dealing with the type of ankle mobility. I am having trouble reclining back while sitting on my feet with toes pointed back (tops of feet flat on floor). It's preventing me from getting into certain poses.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I was just joking about the pics, bud. You're doing some serious rehab/prehab still. Your sessions must be pretty long. Looks like some good stuff. Kudos. I should do more. I try to strike a balance, but I love to lift/push/squat stuff (unfortunately not very much weight these days).

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I actually did that last lifting session in 35min. I basically went back to back with very little rest time between sides in the PNF stuff.
30 sec rest times in everything else. I had to primarily start doing this rehab/prehab stuff again end of last summer when I realized (via OH press, pain, and MRI) that I had another slap tear, but I'm ready to go again. Shoulders and back feeling great. Crazy how my delts got so big again from just doing tons of PNF / D1/D2 work. Pic in my avatar is from February.

Tonight I will warm up my legs by running for 5min, then squat, do some prehab on the shoulders, then OH press, incline bench, and then some back work I think before doing compounds to finish.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm going to post up pics anyhow just to show the transformation over time. Need to show a start point.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So I signed up at a new gym by my office tonight. Much better than the one I'd been going to in my neighborhood, but compared to when I was powerlifting at my local crossfit box, it's not the same... I miss that place.... but hey, corporate discounts are great - especially since I'm paying for an unlimited hot yoga pass now too. This place had changed since last I saw it too, they've added a lifting platform and also a big metcon training area with kettlebells and a bunch more gear. I may still sign up at my last crossfit box this summer though, will have to see what I can get away with at this new gym.

Friday, March 28 - Workout

Notes: no pre-workout drinks, sipping 15g of BCAA/EAA blend (RPG) during workout.

Squats (ATG)

pre-notes: Haven't squatted in over 6 months. Going to take it easy and just keep to volume to test out my back

bar x 10
bar x 10
95 x 10
95 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

notes: left knee felt a bit weird at times, I think this means I need to squat more often. Lower back felt a bit tight after. Need to work more on fixing anterior pelvic tilt. Veins in shoulders looking vascular.

Shoulders

Decided to warm up with D1/D2 PNF work.
20# x 12 x 3

OH Press

Notes: This is my first time pressing for over 6-7 months due to a new SLAP tear. Previous 1RM was 185# pre-surgery

bar x 10
bar x 10
95 x 8
95 x 8

Note: Too much warm up work

Chest

Incline Bench

Note: Impossible for me to lift the bar off using a reverse grip. No idea how people do it on the incline, way too awkward with my long arms. Maybe it's the type of bench I'm using too. Switched back to regular grip

bar x 10
bar x 10
95 x 10
95 x 10
115 x 6
115 x 6
95 x 8

Pec Fly Machine:

145 x 10
145 x 10
145 x 10

Notes: squeezed slowly and held contraction. really need to focus on building chest. delts far overpower it

Upright Rows (Cable with Y rope)

35 x 12
35 x 12
35 x 10
35 x 10

Done. No compounds or back work today. Going to work back and arms tomorrow. With what I did today, I am to take Sunday off and repeat Monday. Yoga all weekend though, active recovery / mobility work.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh man, you are going to be hurting tomorrow! Hope you can walk after the 135 ATG after not squatting for that long! And then OHP and incline, also for the first time in many months, good god, you have mettle.

Good work my man.

Oh yeah, I dont know anyone who does reverse-grip incline. I do regular incline, bud. Only flat or decline for reverse grip, not that you'd catch me dead on a decline.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
forgot I did some other stuff! editing..

Thanks man! Didn't really have any shoulder pain either. I did some upright rows with the cable machine using a Y rope too and it felt pretty good

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
forgot I did some other stuff! editing..

Thanks man! Didn't really have any shoulder pain either. I did some upright rows with the cable machine using a Y rope too and it felt pretty good
Oh yeah, I dont know anyone who does reverse-grip incline. I do regular incline, bud. Only flat or decline for reverse grip, not that you'd catch me dead on a decline.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Gotcha. Yeah I think I could've gone heavier today but I want to be able to do this same workout 3 x week. 2 days on, 1 day off, repeating. Keeping weight low and volume high. If I'm doing active recovery work at the same time and on off days, I think it will work. That magnesium oil really helps with any doms too but I also drink bcaas all day. Rarely get doms now. But we'll see lol..things are changing up now

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Feeling good today. Mostly feel it in my pecs, which got the most work yesterday, a little in my posterior chain but not bad. I bet the yoga has helped keep my legs strong enough because I was expecting some big doms in them today. Undecided if I should switch to my planned CKD this weekend. Might be a bad idea if I'm also changing up my training now..maybe I can try a TKD for a while first and keep carbs around my workouts only.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Feeling good today. Mostly feel it in my pecs, which got the most work yesterday, a little in my posterior chain but not bad. I bet the yoga has helped keep my legs strong enough because I was expecting some big doms in them today. Undecided if I should switch to my planned CKD this weekend. Might be a bad idea if I'm also changing up my training now..maybe I can try a TKD for a while first and keep carbs around my workouts only.
Nice. Very deliberate. Let us know how it goes.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well I take back what I said yesterday about doms. Feeling everything today. although I felt no pain in delts during or post training, just doms now. Kinda nice that the shoulders are feeling good after all that.

Signed up for a 90min hot yin yoga class tonight. Going to get some good stretching in. Might hit the gym before and work back/arms.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Monday's Log - March 31

Did this over my lunch break

Back

Wide Grip Pulldowns

85 x 12
100 x 12
140 x 10
140 x 10

Seated Cable Rows

120 x 12
120 x 12
120 x 10

Cable Upright Rows

35 x 12
42.5 x 10
42.5 x 10
42.5 x 10

Reverse flies (on hyper machine)

15's x 12
15's x 12
15's x 10
15's x 10

Threw in some bicep work

Curl Bar

40 x 15
40 x 12
40 x 10
60 x 5 / 40 x 5 (dropset)

Cable Curls

15 x 10 x 2
15 x 10 x 2

Signed up for and attended two hot yoga classes in the evening, for a total of 3 workouts today. Was pretty intense, especially the back to back hot yoga classes. I need to watch my blood pressure when/if I do that again. Took 4 caps of MST Athlytes before each class, drank lots of water.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, April 1 - Workout

Notes: no pre-workout drinks, sipping 15g of BCAA/EAA blend (RPG) during workout.
Feeling REALLY worn out from Monday's training / practice combined with only sleeping 5 hrs

Squats (ATG)

bar x 8
bar x 7
95 x 8
140 x 10
140 x 10
140 x 10

notes: Knees feel fine this time. I've added 5 pounds this workout and plan to do that each time I squat to build my strength back up. Keeping volume high, frequency high and weight low. I'm traveling this week but I plan on squatting 2-3x per week, depending on yoga and how my legs are feeling.

Shoulders

OH Press

bar x 8
bar x 8
95 x 8
95 x 8

Note: taking it easy and slow on re-building shoulder strength. My delts are pretty huge, vascular and getting striated atm though, funny how that works. It's due to all the volume I was doing with cables.

Chest

Incline Bench

bar x 10
bar x 8
115 x 10
115 x 7
115 x 7

Pec Fly Machine:

135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

Notes: squeezed slowly and held contraction

Upright Rows (Cable with Y rope)

42.5 x 12
42.5 x 12
42.5 x 10

Done. Everything felt great during my workout, no pain, lifts felt solid, but got drained / winded really easy due to lack of sleep and training so much Monday.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
A lotta work here. And that's some decent ATG weight and volume. Hard movement for me. Just tried it 2 days ago. Decimated me. But I want teardrops, more pronounced ones, lol.

Good work.

Oh yeah, why a variation of upright rows 2 days in a row?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A lotta work here. And that's some decent ATG weight and volume. Hard movement for me. Just tried it 2 days ago. Decimated me. But I want teardrops, more pronounced ones, lol.

Good work.

Oh yeah, why a variation of upright rows 2 days in a row?
Just coming back from vacation tonight, starting back up tomorrow.
ATG Squats feel more elastic to me, I like going through the full range of motion at a lighter weight than I'd typically parallel squat at.

Upper back felt ok the next day and I've been wanting to really increase my upper back strength, so just figured I'd hit it again. Not something I will always do or usually do. Although, if I'm ever experiencing pain related to my slap tears, I usually increase my PT work with the bands to daily sessions. Seems to help a lot.

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
I'd love to get a real routine for PT type exercises put together for my shoulders. Idk if you remember, but I had a slap repaired when you did, but managed to get a small RC tear in the same shoulder once I got back in the gym. I still workout and don't feel like going back in for surgery again, but you have always been a lot smarter about your recovery than I have been so I'd like to get some help on setup if possible. Keep up the hard work man. Your log is awesome imo.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'd love to get a real routine for PT type exercises put together for my shoulders. Idk if you remember, but I had a slap repaired when you did, but managed to get a small RC tear in the same shoulder once I got back in the gym. I still workout and don't feel like going back in for surgery again, but you have always been a lot smarter about your recovery than I have been so I'd like to get some help on setup if possible. Keep up the hard work man. Your log is awesome imo.
Consider PRP injection for a minor tear. I too do a fair amount of shoulder rehab work, but not as dedicated as GP. Scaption with a band, Int/Ext. Rotation (neutral, high, and low), IYTWs on a swissball, are among my faves.

I've had the same issue, though I dont believe mine is minor. But the ortho I went to was basically like, "I don't fix partial tears except in professional athletes, or the like." He did say that I looked like I may have been a pro wrestler in the past, lol.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks man. I love the D1/D2 PNF movements for shoulders. It was all I did for shoulders for months and months. I had started to OH press again last summer and started to do heavy barbell shrugs.... this was when I realized something was up with my opposite shoulder that wasn't operated on. Got an MRI, found out it was a minor SLAP tear. I started doing PT on my shoulders every other day (just D1/D2 PNF cable exercises), 3 reps of 10-12 for D1 & D2. I also started doing band pull a parts often (and reverse flies with dumbbells). I added shoulder dislocations daily with a theraband. What I REALLY needed though was to use a TENS unit on the areas of pain, to release the muscle spasms. When I started getting this done at a sports therapy clinic, it really made a huge difference. I plan on getting a TENS unit for home.

I ended up doing a workout last night up in the mountains before flying home last night.. holy crap, training at altitude is no joke. I needed an oxygen mask so badly hahaha... Was so dizzy and nauseous. I'll post up yesterday's entry in a few.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Monday April 7 Workout

SQUAATS (ATG)

Bar x 8
Bar x 8
95 x 8
145 x 10
145 x 10
145 x 10

Notes: Still going up 5 pounds per workout. Everything feels great. jinxie - I'm popping out of the bottom, never stalling down there. Btw - knees feel great. I was worried how they'd feel doing ATG squats often, but if anything, they feel better.

Low Row Hammer strength

90 x 10
160 x 10
160 x 10
160 x 10

Notes: really pushed it on this but banged out full reps. REALLY feeling the high altitude at this point and having a hard time catching my breath

Incline bench

Bar x 8
95 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10

Pec fly machine

135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

Curl bar curls

55 x 12
55 x 10
55 x 10

Skull Crushers

55 x 10
55 x 10
55 x 10

Notes: Feeling very dizzy and nauseous at this point. Training up in the mountains (I live at sea level), this really took a toll on me. Btw, I LOVE the mountains.

Today I'm feeling this workout in my left shoulder that had the surgery. No big deal though, nothing too bad. I just slathered my upper body with magnesium oil and this usually helps a lot. I'll do PT work tomorrow (D1/D2 PNF, YTW's on stability ball, etc).

I think I will create a proper PT training protocol in adjunct to my training, something to follow religiously. Right now I do PT as I see fit.

Here's a lil panoramic shot I took while hiking up in the mountains.

ColoradoRedRocks-800.jpg

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Starting morning sprints very soon. There's a football field adjacent to my apartment, so I'll be sprinting on astroturf. Looking at picking up a pair of these Nike sprinting shoes w/ cross country spikes. Also thinking about picking up a pair of compression socks

Nike-Sprinting-Shoe.jpg

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Little to-do list (homework) for myself to complete this week, outside of the gym:

Create a proper PT/rehab/corrective exercise protocol that fits in with my regular training that includes:

- shoulder/scapation work
- hip / glute work
- regular psoas stretching
- other mobility work (including my left ankle that has some problems in extreme positions)
- starting a core circuit *really need to strengthen my core
- corrective exercises to fix posture from sitting at desk

Create a new diet program

- CKD using Paleo foods

Create a cardio program that includes

- fasted morning cardio (sprints and fullbody kettlebell work i.e.: swings)
- 2 week intro period
- ramped effort over 8-12 weeks before re-evaluating program

I'll have to admit, I've delayed dieting. I've been training hard and just can't keep myself away from eating rice/carbs.

New motto: failure to plan is planning to fail

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Little to-do list (homework) for myself to complete this week, outside of the gym:

Create a proper PT/rehab/corrective exercise protocol that fits in with my regular training that includes:

- shoulder/scapation work
- hip / glute work
- regular psoas stretching
- other mobility work (including my left ankle that has some problems in extreme positions)
- starting a core circuit *really need to strengthen my core
- corrective exercises to fix posture from sitting at desk

Create a new diet program

- CKD using Paleo foods

Create a cardio program that includes

- fasted morning cardio (sprints and fullbody kettlebell work i.e.: swings)
- 2 week intro period
- ramped effort over 8-12 weeks before re-evaluating program

I'll have to admit, I've delayed dieting. I've been training hard and just can't keep myself away from eating rice/carbs.

New motto: failure to plan is planning to fail
Dang dude that's a good list. I need to do most of that too. I've got the diet down for the most part right now. Training is all over the place though b/c of a hectic work schedule. I'm off most of this weekend including tomorrow so I'm going to come back to your log, go over it, and make some plans of my own. I'm anxious to see your new layout man. Keep it going.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dang dude that's a good list. I need to do most of that too. I've got the diet down for the most part right now. Training is all over the place though b/c of a hectic work schedule. I'm off most of this weekend including tomorrow so I'm going to come back to your log, go over it, and make some plans of my own. I'm anxious to see your new layout man. Keep it going.
Thanks man, it's a big list! I find that once I have everything organized though, it's easy to follow a planned schedule... especially since I'm tracking everything and that everything will be planned to work together. This means that I really can't miss any days, workouts, etc without it really messing things up. This is motivating in itself.

I just ordered my cross-country runners in the pic above, for doing sprints. Going to get myself some Rogue compression socks and a few other things this week. Likely this 3-meal cooler bag as well. Should help with the diet:

Amazon.com - Isobag 3 Meal System - Black/Black - Lunch Boxes

Last night I did some simple work from home, as my left shoulder was still hurting a bit from Monday's workout:

PT / Shoulder work

D1/D2 PNF Cable work
10 reps x 2 sets each side D1
10 reps x 2 sets each side D2

Core Work

Reverse situps (bent knees, lifting hips off ground, and pulling torso in for some extra work, holding the contraction)
12 reps x 3 sets

NOTES: Today I feel NO shoulder pain. Hitting the gym for another fullbody workout this evening

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Friday April 11 - Fullbody Day

Felt real tired n ****ty before going to gym. Reeeal busy at work today and didn't get enough food. F&*k it though. Gonna do my best to get everything in.

Squats (ATG)

bar x 8
bar x 8
95 x 8
155 x 10
155 x 10
155 x 10

NOTES: decided to go up 10# from my last workout. Everything felt fine, not easy by any means but didn't get stuck and no pains. Full reps.

Leaving OH Press out today since my shoulder hurt for a few days

Incline Bench

bar x 10
bar x 10
95 x 10
125 x 10
125 x 10
125 x 10 -- left elbow is hurting

NOTES: decided to go up 10# and see how I do. Definitely pushing myself but did full reps.

Pec Fly Machine

135 x 10 -- left shoulder hurting
135 x 8 -- yeahhh this is not good..ouch
135 x 10 -- focusing hard, not going back as far and have little to no pain

T Bar Row - just counting plate weight

45 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 8

Reverse flies on back extension bench

15x10x2
15x10x2
15x10x2

Y's on back extension bench

holding 10# plates and holding at top a second
10x10x2
10x10x2

Y Cable upright rows

40x10
40x10

DB shrugs

50x10x2 holding 2-3sec at top
50x10x2 ""

Curlbar curls

40x12
40x12
40x12

Total workout time: 50min

Notes: Gotta watch that shoulder. Might keep it down on bench and add more ancillary exercises. Left elbow was really hurting. Surgery was done on the left side so this is likely why. I need to add in tricep exercises to help out my elbow(s).

Made a fairly big order from Rogue Fitness today and got a lot of goodies coming in the mail. Decent sized kettebell and a bunch of new mobility gear along with some compression socks and track shoes. Really looking forward to using the new voodoo bands.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Upper back, traps, scapular region is feelin it today. Just what I wanted. Strange that I no longer feel DOMS in my legs even when jumping up 10# in my squats since Monday and going ATG. Not feeling anything in my chest today either. I need to find a couple new exercises for chest to work in here and there. I've been afraid to do dips again but maybe I'll try next time around. I'm pretty heavy though so I know it's going to be tough at this time. Maybe not though.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Haven't been to yoga in a while because of traveling and such. Going to do Hot Yin / Restorative Yoga tonight. Signed up for a 1 hr class at my studio. Debating on if I should do flow for an hour before this class (2 classes tonight) and then hit the gym tomorrow after work. My back is still feeling Friday's workout. Maybe I will get that homework and grocery shopping done before yoga instead and just hit the 1 class... If I get a lot of sleep tonight, I can train fullbody after work tomorrow and get in some hot yoga 1 hour later.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Monday April 14

60 min hot yin yoga / restorative yoga class

Notes: wish I could do these classes daily, but these specific ones aren't offered everyday. We did things like 7min static pigeon pose / sleeping swan pose (DEEP hip stretch). No quick 30 second stretching here. Very difficult class, but not for the reasons most people think. Deep/long stretching requires a lot of focus and proper breathing techniques to remain calm and fidget-free, no moving! Felt super loose after this class. NY has become warm and very humid. The humidity on top of the class's high heat, really made me sweat. I keep reminding myself that the heated classes help me get deeper into my stretches.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Tuesday April 15

Notes: going into workout pretty tired, no caffeine or food prior, busy day at work and little sleep last night - no excuse to miss the gym though. Need to order more MST RPG

SQUATS (ATG)

bar x 8
bar x 8
95 x 8
160 x 10
160 x 10
160 x 10

Notes: felt fine, went up 5 pounds since Friday

Reverse Grip Flat Bench

bar x 8
95 x 12
135 x 10 - right shoulder is clicking, something's not right
135 x 10 - same

Notes: not going to bother benching for a while unless it's incline

Pec Fly Machine

135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

Cable Flies (D1/D2 - 1 side at a time)

from low
25x10x2
25x10x2

from high
25x10x2
25x10x2

Notes: going to do shoulders / back / arms tomorrow. Day off then will try to repeat with 2 days off after before starting over. Aiming to build an A1/B1 A2/B2 workout, 4 days per week in the gym. Got my racing spikes/shoes in. Gotta get that homework done and write up all the plans still.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Skipping the gym today... had a pretty damn hot date last night that went very late and I'm pretty hungover today. Need the rest. Going to use the time to work on the plan™ and do some PT / mobility work. Just got a HUGE package in the mail from Rogue Fitness. Will take a pic later of all the new gear I will be using, with descriptions.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Mostly did a bunch of mobility work this weekend and spent time writing up and planning out the various routines.

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but one of the main issues I"m trying to fix is how tight my left leg/hip is. I have somewhat constant numbness in the midsection area of my outer thigh...but also extreme tightness in that area and occasional pain. My chiro's tell me this is due to nerve entrapment emanating from my back somewhere.

I think this is party true, but I also feel as though it's due to nerve compression elsewhere, namely - within my left glute/hamstring. I used to have a VERY bad habit for years of sitting at my computer with my right leg / foot crossed underneath me, so that I was sitting on my right foot. This helped me to sit back in my chair... I used to do it without even being too conscious of it. It used to make my left quad go numb at times. Now I have a bit of constant numbness and it is very numb/sore when I try to stretch that leg.... no matter what I try - be it a kneeling lunge stretch for my psoas, couch stretch for the quad, or even when trying to stretch the IT band.

This is one of the things I'm going to be trying to fix in this log..... using voodoo floss bands, a short/dense rumble roller, MoblityWOD SuperNova, lacrosse balls, and more.

If anyone is wondering what Voodoo Floss bands are, I HIGHLY recommend them for mobility - for removing adhesions and opening up those joints. THEY WORK. Here's the link to the stronger/thicker type of bands (the red ones). You can also get the black (regular) ones if you are more of a novice:

VooDoo X Bands - Compression & Mobility - Rogue Fitness

I also highly recommend getting this for your glutes/hamstrings. Nothing better than this out there:

MobilityWOD Super Nova - Massaging Ball - Rogue Fitness

@houstontexas - I'm almost finished writing up my overall plan. Really trying to get it finished tonight. I purposely refrained from training this weekend and took a bit of a break and did only mobility work, so that I can start my plan tomorrow. Mondays work out best for Day 1 so that I can have the weekends off to relax and recover (and do yoga, mobility work and cardio I suppose). It's an exact 7 day plan.

I received a bunch of stuff in the mail this past week which I need to take photos of and explain soon. One of the items was a 44 pound kettlebell. This is my first time using a kettlebell, so it might be a bit heavy to start off with while trying to lock my form in.

Today I tried kettlebell swings after waking. Small little workout just to get the hang of them

44 x 20
44 x 20
44 x 15

I had to stop, my lower back was feeling tight and a bit sore from this.This is no good, as I'm doing kettlebell swings to help my posture and strengthen the posterior chain. I used the power of the google and found this to be the reason for my pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSB9q59Bcgo

Basically, I was swinging too low, not to mention the weight might be a bit heavy to start with (I also think my issue with anterior pelvic tilt causes lower back stress on a lot of my standing exercises though - another thing I'll be fixing). I'll be alright with this weight after a week though I'm sure.

More to come tonight, going to post up my overall plan.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is my 4th time posting this post below as the formatting keeps getting f^&ked up. Kinda frustrated here admins....What's the deal with formatting on this site completely vanishing at random times? If this keeps happening, I can't do my log here, this is wasting too much time

Still tweaking some things in my programing, but I will post up what I am planning on doing today:

Day 1 (Monday) :

A1 (Squats / ME Chest + Volume / Conditioning / PT / Mobility work)

Morning or Lunchtime cardio:Sprints at park OR burpee/kettlebell swing circuits

Evening (main workout):

ATG Squats x 4 sets x 10 reps
Incline Bench – 4 sets of 10 reps
Peck fly machine – 4 sets of 10 reps

PT type work (also can be used as finishers):
Cable flies (single sided) / D1/D2 (low + high) 2 sets each x 10 reps

PM – 60min Hot Yin Yoga – deep/long static stretching
From home: psoas stetching, etc (anti-lordosis protocol, will post later)

Let's hope I get all this in today. Will try to have my programming posted up this evening, color coded to highlight different types of work being done (PT/Mobility/Strength/Conditioning)

Here is the main breakdown for my strength/bodybuilding split though:

1. A1 (Squats / Max Effort Chest / Conditioning / PT / Mobility work)
2. B2 (Back / shoulders / upper back / trap work – Volume)
3. Off Day (Conditioning / Mobility)
4. A2 (Squats / Max Effort Back / Conditioning / PT / Mobility work)
5. B1 (Chest / shoulders / upper back / trap work – Volume)
6. Off Day
7. Off DayRepeat

Basically - Max/Min/Day Off/Max/Min/2 days off and repeat

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So it turns out I must've tweaked something in my lower back while doing kettlebell swings on Sunday, because when I was doing sprints yesterday, it seized up a bit and I was getting spasms on the one side. I should've known to ease into anything new. My form must've been off and/or my lordosis prevented me from doing the kettlebell swings with good form. I stayed away from the gym yesterday after my back started hurting from sprints. Just went to my Hot Yin Yoga class last night and stretched it out.

I'm staying away from the gym today and going to do PT cable work from home tonight, as well as stretching for my lordosis / posture, and any other mobility work I can get in.

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
So it turns out I must've tweaked something in my lower back while doing kettlebell swings on Sunday, because when I was doing sprints yesterday, it seized up a bit and I was getting spasms on the one side. I should've known to ease into anything new. My form must've been off and/or my lordosis prevented me from doing the kettlebell swings with good form. I stayed away from the gym yesterday after my back started hurting from sprints. Just went to my Hot Yin Yoga class last night and stretched it out.

I'm staying away from the gym today and going to do PT cable work from home tonight, as well as stretching for my lordosis / posture, and any other mobility work I can get in.
That sucks dude. I Have 2 bulging discs in my back that have been giving me ongoing pain for months now. I'll just say I'm never playing basketball again lol. Back pain is the worst. I thought my shoulder pain was aggravating, but waking up and barely being able to roll out of bed b/c you're back is so sore is way worse. I hope your back pain goes away quickly and you can get back to normal. I am just living with it for now and going through the motions.

I need to take some time soon to go back through your log in detail and write down things I want to look into further. Your routine, the voodoo bands, massage ball, etc. I really need to take all of it in and develop a plan/routine to help me move forward.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That sucks dude. I Have 2 bulging discs in my back that have been giving me ongoing pain for months now. I'll just say I'm never playing basketball again lol. Back pain is the worst. I thought my shoulder pain was aggravating, but waking up and barely being able to roll out of bed b/c you're back is so sore is way worse. I hope your back pain goes away quickly and you can get back to normal. I am just living with it for now and going through the motions.

I need to take some time soon to go back through your log in detail and write down things I want to look into further. Your routine, the voodoo bands, massage ball, etc. I really need to take all of it in and develop a plan/routine to help me move forward.
Thanks man. I'm going to take time this week to complete writing up my overall ideal training split, that includes a 4 day bodybuilding split, cardio work, mobility work, PT work, core work, rehab work for posture, etc. I've got a word doc I'm working from, just need to organize it a bit more but I can post it up for you soon if you'd like to take a look. I definitely think I need a two week intro period to the new plan though...especially since it involves more intensity and new movements.

Btw, When I'm back doing squats again (likely later on this week), I'm going to start using my belt again. This lordosis of mine is really starting to piss me off. It's the single most limiting factor in my training right now.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think I might discontinue this log. It's not really worth retyping everything that I put in my logbook because there is little to no involvement here on this board. I might find a board that has more of an injury prevention / rehab / mobility / exercise science side to it and restart the log there, or might just start my own private blog for myself. No real reason for me to make it public anymore if this is just for myself.