Powerlifting Basics

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It's been a long time since I was active on this board. Might as well throw up a training log to keep me motivated through school.

Here are my old maxes before I started classes in August:
Raw Squat(no knee wraps): 435lb
Bench: 345.5lbs
Deadlift: 516lbs

Here Are my current working out stats as of last week:

Squat: 405x4
Bench: 315x5 and 325x2
Deadlift:455x4

Running a very simple program. Hitting 3 working sets, shooting for 5 reps. When I hit 5 reps i go up. Very basic linear progression that isn't too taxing on the CNS.

I've done so many different kinds of training protocols from Westside to 5x5 and to date what works best for me are the basics. Lift heavy, focus on good technique, and add weight. Ive done all kinds of periodization and honestly I dont have time for that anymore. I have time to walk into the gym, lift something heavy and walk out.

Next lift day should be either Monday or Tuesday. Monday I have a 4 hour neuro exam so the workout wont be a standard workout. Thinking about heavy pin pulls.

DISCLAIMER: Anything said in this log or anything that I post should not be taken as medical advice. ANY training protocol, exercises, diet information, and/or supplementation NEEDS to be discussed with the appropriate medical professional. Do not use a forum of your peers to make medically based decisions about your health and general wellness; these decisions need to be discussed with trained and licensed physicians. Do not try any new program, diet, or supplementation without talking to your doctor about possible side effects, contraindications, and health risks.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Good strength here. It works.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thank you.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thank you Sean!

Figuring I should probably give some basic info about myself:

Been lifting for going on 9 years this summer. Ive been natty ever since Ive started. When I first joined this board my form was atrocious and my numbers were inflated like no tomorrow. I was the king of half reps and bad form. Back in 2010 I joined a pretty hardcore westside certified gym and training exclusively westside for over 2 years. My form improved but I was by no means strong. As a matter of fact, after a few months of gains my numebrs stalled for close to a year. My numbers were Squat(375 in knee wraps) 275- 315 without, bench was about 285 (paused), and deadlift was 455.

Then I started training under a elite level, professional powerlifting and he had me start from scratch. I did a Sheiko template not available on the internet and my strength went through the roof. In 8 weeks my squat went through the roof. I went from 375 in knee wraps to 465 in knee wraps and my bench climbed up to a solid 325 with a pause. I was hooked. For the first time I was squatting consistantly below parallel and my strength was going through the roof and i wasnt losing power on bench when I paused.

From running the sheiko routine with knee wraps I ran it again without knee wraps and my squat jumped to 405, bench 330, and deadlift was about 485(dont feel like checking my log).

After running the sheiko routine 3 times, we decided to run an experiment. I would be training like an elite level powerlifter, maxing out every time i walked into the gym. This was the training he did. This was by far my favorite routine. We would be adding weight every week. From .5 to 5 lbs a week on every lift. My strength again shot up. Squat was 435, Bench was 345.5, and deadlift was 516.5. I had been training like that for probably 2-3 months. Those were my numbers beginning of August. Since then I stopped the maxing out because frankly, i study 4-12 hours a day. The fatigue on my CNS from maxing out impairs my ability to study. If I wasnt studying so hard I would still be maxing out.

So, I went back to what works. The sheiko routine is a routine based on volume and percentages. The work load makes you strong. So i adapted that to a very easy and basic routine. I don't know how strong I am now as far as maxing is concerned by my goals are the following:

By Summer:
Squat: 455x5
Bench 345x5
Deadlift: 500x5

I think that is attainable. And it will lend itself to get crazy strong during the summer when I can actually train, sleep and eat properly. I will probably pick up the maxing out during summer and try and compete once or twice before August.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In to see how the BigBoys do things!

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
good to have you

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
2/19/2014

Monday:

Had a 3 hours Neuro final. After which i crashed for 12 hours. Needless to say I didnt lift

Tuesday: My shoulder and elbow have been bothering me for about two weeks now. Nothing serious, I just can't generate that much force. Hopefully it recovers soon and I can start progressing again.

Bench:
Warm up with the bar, 135, 185, 225, 225, 240, 275

Working Sets:
325 x1x1x1x1x2
Threw on some monster mini's immediately after the last set
325x3 with bands

The last set was the only set I actually rested fully before I began. The first and 4th set I almost squeeked out a second rep but my form gave. The last set I rested and really focused on maintaining my form and driving through my stricking point. I will note that even though Im hitting a 1 rep sometimes, its almost never a grinder. The rep moves fast.

High Pin Pulls (right above the the knee where my sticking point is) :
So last week I didnt pull because I was studying and i just didnt have time. So this week I am gonna pull twice.

Warm Ups:
225, 315, 315, 405

Working Sets:
500x2x1
545x1x1

Bench burn out:
225x15?? I stopped counting past 10, but i know I got at least 5 more.

After my heavy sets I really just play it by ear. If I have time I do extra work, if I dont I go back to study. Now I will be focusing mainly on HIIT training post heavy sets to see if I can slowly shed the weight Ive put on, while maintaining my strength.

Light chest superset machine fly to machine bench. 4 sets at 10-15 reps per exercise per set
Sprints 30 second moderate sprint and 90 second walk (total of 5 sprints)
Light Incline machine press and one arm machine curl for 3 sets

Today I will hopefully get some squats in

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wednesday Workout

So Wednesday I felt like hammered death. The last thing I wanted to do was lift. My back was sore, i was completely unmotivated and drained from school. So I decided to stop complaining and squat.

Squat (no knee wraps):
Warm up: Bar, 135, 135, 225, 225, 315

Working set:
405x4 (this matches my PR)

This took everything I had. I dang near passed out after the set.

405xbar slipped --> so this was a horrendous set. when I started the set, something was off in my set up. On the decent the bar shifted real bad and I had to dump the weight to avoid injury. Needless to say it was at this point, my body was giving out on me.

405x1 --> I wasnt satisfied with ending the workout on amiss. So I gathered myself and got under the bar for a good solid deep rep. Not gonna lie, my head dang near exploded. This was a rough rep.

So after feeling defeated in squat I moved on to my cardio portion.

Superset:
battle ropes to light and deep leg press --> I did this for 4 sets. Approx 30seconds of battle ropes then I go and do 12-15 reps on leg press(only 4 plates each side)

Abductors --> 5 sets

Leg extensions:
4 sets conventional with both legs
2 sets one legged leg extension to conventional (Basically I do one leg, then the other...then both)

After that I called it a night. Was a crappy workout but at least i lifted.

Today I hit 50 minutes on the elliptical walking.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
did a short and light shoulder routine last night. Nothing really to note. Gonna hit some back tonight.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In. You think about a meet at all? And what weight? Sheiko has always intrigued me a little.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
In. You think about a meet at all? And what weight? Sheiko has always intrigued me a little.
Nope. If I compete it will be in the summer...however I plan on getting married this summer so that may push back my plans even more. At this rate my biggest goal is to continue to get stronger until i finally have the time to go a meet. Weekends now are at a premium for rest and study.

Right now I would compete at the 198's until I drop some more weight. Im walking around low 200's so it would be an easy cut. Ideally I wanna slowly work my way down to the low 190's and compete at 181 again.

Sheiko has been the best strength program Ive done...also one of the most taxing. When done right it's brutal and effective. I highly reccomend it. I think there is a forum dedicated to sheiko that has some good info. Because I trained with Eric Talmant, he basically guided me through the template and I saw massive gains without the use of steroids.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Saturday Night Pulls

Hit some deadlift last night. Went a little something like this:

Deadlift:
Warm up: 135,225,315,405

Working sets: 455x2x2
Reverse bands: 555x1

I set up the reverse bands so that the bands would go slack right about my sticking point. This would allow me to train that top end where I have trouble locking out. Im also gonna change my template for deadlift (for the sake of time in the gym). I'm gonna work up to 3 sets of 3 reps then add 10 lbs. As it stands I usually go for that 5 rep mark and I acan jump 40-50lbs. But the rest required to get 3-5 sets makes the workouts really long. So Ill switch it up and see if that helps.

I will also hit one extra set with reverse bands each workout at supramaximal weight.

The rest of the workout was as follows:

Wide pull downs for 5 sets
V-pull downs for 5 sets
Started to do a superset with rowing but the gym closed a little early. So that was about it for my workout.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Quick Update:

So I was planning to just do cardio today...but a buddy of mine mocked me into doing arms. Not that my arms are small...but that I was being lazy. So I hit what I like to call the "frat boy" workout and we hit some biceps.

After biceps I hit a little over 30 minutes of cardio.

Total Intake for today:
24 ounces of chicken breast (no seasoning, but added mustard and some hot sauce)
2 scoops PF3 (pre and post workout/cardio)
3 Cups Broccoli with EVOO based italian dressing.
2 scoops protein

Tomorrow depending how studying is coming along I should be squatting.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
2/26 Squats

Wednesday Night Squats:

Warm Up:
135, 135, 225, 225, 315

Working Sets:
405 x 3 x 4 x 5 (PR)
455x1 (PR)

First time I raw squat 455 to depth with no knee wraps. 455 will be my new working weight.

Extras:
I tried something new.
Walked for 5 minutes, then every 2 minutes I did either a set of leg extension or leg curls till failure. Essentially this was modified HIIT, where instead of sprinting I did leg ext/curl. After each set I ran back to the treadmill and walked for another 2 minutes

Total time was 20 minutes.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Working Sets:
405 x 3 x 4 x 5 (PR)
455x1 (PR)

First time I raw squat 455 to depth with no knee wraps. 455 will be my new working weight.
8 big wheels with quarters to boot RAW....!
Nice work

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thank you guys! WOrds of encouragment are very welcome!

Not going to lie, finally being able to squat 455 raw was a big personal goal of mine. Ultimately Im shooting for 500 for the summer, but that was completely depending on when I started working with 455. Now I have 3 months to work with 455 to hit 5 reps. Once I hit that 5 rep mark I'm gonna make the jump to 500.

Without proper rest, diet, and supplementation I am very happy I am still making gains little by little. I have more bad days in the gym then I have decent days, so when a day roles around I hit my goals, its reminds me that all the hard work is paying off.

Tonight is bench night. I dont expect good things because Ive been going all out studying for two exams next week. Cardiovascular on Monday and a Practical on Friday. Let's see how it goes!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have fun benching tonight! Make the best of it.

500 during the summer us definetly doable if you okay your cards right.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yep!

Ive considered during the summer maybe trying out something like 1-DHEA. Anyone here try something like 1-Andro or alpha mass?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not I. Have never dabbled. Maybe someone else here watching has.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bench night

Bench went well. Here is how it went down

Bench:
Warm Up:135, 135, 225, 225, 275

Working sets:
325 x 3(PR) x 2 x2 --> first time I handled 325 and all my sets were 2+

Slingshot Bench: 375x2

Incline Barbell Bench:
135x10
225x5
275x1x1 (its been awhile since Ive tried this so I was happy to get it)

Bench for reps:
115x54 reps (for the heck of it)

SuperSet:
Battle Rope for 30 seconds --> Decline barbell press --> Cable flies

I did that for 3 sets and called it a day to get back to studying.

Oh an dlast time I check Im down 2 lbs so weight is 213. I wanna see if I can slowly get back down to the 190's

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Jealous of that press!!

Do you have any meets in mind?

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Jealous of that press!!

Do you have any meets in mind?
says the man who squats me under the table! haha thank you man

Not yet. Once summer rolls aroung I'll start looking for a meet. Seeing if I can maybe go for 1400+ during the summer at 181 or 198

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So after some awesome workouts last week I havent been able to get any work in this week besides some cardio.

I had a killer cardiovascular exam this Monday and I have a practical exam tomorrow. Crazy stressed and barely keeping my head above water. I'll probably hit another 30 minutes of cardio sometime tonight and I'll go all out tomorrow after the exam.

Im thinking going all 3 lifts but simulating a geared meet to get some supra-maximal training in. So ill either throw on my predator briefs for squat or do some reverse band work. Bench I'll use my sling shot. And I'll do some reverse band deadlifts. This way if I really fry myself in the lift, I can take the next week to recover, which is my spring break.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So I am very happy with tonight's workout. Finished my practical earlier today and I was drained. Came home and ate a quick meal, took a nap and got ready for the gym.

Squats:
Warm Up:
45, 45, 135, 225, 225, 315

Working Sets:
405x1 no knee wraps

Decided to throw on my knee wraps
455x1
500x1 PR!!! WOOHOO Hit 500 in knee wraps!! Praise God!!! I finally hit 500. I think I can safely shoot for 500 this summer without knee wraps.

Went str8 to bench:
Warm Up:
135, 225, 275, 315

Put on my Sling shot:
365x1....rest was taking off the quarter and went str8 to 315x5...rest was taking off a plate and hit 225x10

Took of the sling shot, took off a plate and went str8 to 135x10

After That I hit a superset of cable tricep extension and light dumbell inclines. I rested maybe 30 seconds between sets because the gym was about to close and i did this for 3 sets.

Called it a night. I am humbled and very thankful God gave me the strength to hit 500 in knee wraps today. It's the common graces like this that can make a horrendously stressful and draining week seem better in an instant.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
500x1 PR!!! WOOHOO Hit 500 in knee wraps!! Praise God!!! I finally hit 500. I think I can safely shoot for 500 this summer without knee wraps.

MOE YEAHhhhh......
Um just gettin' warmed up
- Al Pacino

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So Im back from spring break. I got two lifts in so far this week. Neither one of them were that great. Taking a week off seems to have done more damage then good. Hopefully after a week or two, I'll be back in the swing of things:

Monday: Bench

Working sets: 325x2x1x1
Slingshot: 325x5

Wednesday: Squat

Working sets: 455x0x1
I missed the first rep...its been awhile since I missed a rep.
315x5

Leg extensions for 5 sets
Leg Curls for 4 sets

Interval training with rowing machine for 5 intervals (30 second rowing all out, 1 minute rest)

Let's see how my pulls go on friday.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Update:

Friday night was a good lift. Hit my goal so I can add some weight:

Deadlift Night:
Warm ups: 135, 225, 315, 405
Working set: 455x3....will add 5-10lbs next week
Supramaximal set: Reverse band 545x1

Extra work:
Superset between deadlift rows(205lbs x5-8 reps) and close grip cable rows(10 reps)...5 sets
Wide Grip Pull downs 5 sets of 5 reps
Close Grip Pull Downs 4 sets of 10 reps
EZ curls - 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Hammer Curls - 3 sets of 6-8 reps
Str8 arm pull downs - 3 sets of 10 reps

After this I went and bought a pizza...donuts..and a cheese coffee cake and had me an epic cheat meal.

My heart rate went through the roof and I got real hot and sweaty during the night...i did this cheat meal right!

Down to 212.5 before the cheat meal.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BEen able to make it to the gym once this week and all i did was rep 225 for 3 sets just to do something. After that I ran out and went back to studying.

Crazy week of exams....once its over I can actually get a decent lift in

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Update:

Decided to throw on my knee wraps
455x1

Deadlift Night:
Warm ups: 135, 225, 315, 405
Working set: 455x3....will add 5-10lbs next week
Supramaximal set: Reverse band 545x1
Studly...!
& not bad pressing either

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So all of last week I wasn't able to get anything in besides a single quick bench day. I had 3 crazy exams that I wouldnt be surprised if I failed them all. Monday was the last of the 3 exams, so Tuesday I was finally able to get some gym time.

Tuesday Night:
Walked into the gym already pretty tired. There is a Muy Thai/Fight Club here on campus, so I did an hour of that then went to do some deadliest.

Warm up:

Working sets (added the 10lbs from last time)
465x1 (midway during the second rep my left hand gave out...first time in a very long time my grip failed on me)
465x2 --> I will stay at this weight until I hit 3 reps then I'll go up again

I would like to note that I reset after each rep. I dont bounce the weight, so there is a pause between reps.

Supramaximal Set:
Reverse band : 545 x 1
The band is set up so that it lets go either at, or right below my sticking point. So needless to say this was one heck of a grinder.

Hypertrophy work:
Seated Cable Rows for 3 sets
Cable Pull Downs for 3 sets
Seated Band Rows for 2 sets

Wednesday Night:
30minutes of cardio on the elliptical

Tonight will be Bench. I may do some tricep and shoulder work...depends on how late I study till.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Bench Night!

Warm up:

Empty Bar x as many reps as it takes to feel warm with a slight pump
135x8
225x5
275x5
325 x 3 x 1 x 1
275 x 2 --> the first reo was paused for 6 missisippi's then the second was touch and go
275x5

Incline:
225 x 4 x 4 x 2-->drop to 135 till failure

Dumbell skull crushers
30x10x10x8

One arm reverse cable push down
did this for 4 sets no rest. Just switched from one arm to the next. Each set was 10 reps

Really could have used a spot today. The second and third set at 325 I probably had 1 more rep, but both would have been either epic grinders or missed reps. So i played it safe.

Now for some carbs to get ready for a saturday squat session.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's some strong benchin bro!
Thank you sir!

Im actually not very happy with my bench at the moment. Feels like its taking forever to make gains. But thats the grind. Just one rep at a time.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Thank you sir!

Im actually not very happy with my bench at the moment. Feels like its taking forever to make gains. But thats the grind. Just one rep at a time.
What's your bodyweight? Still around 215?

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
211 last time i checked

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Update:

Squats!!!

Had a very good squat day. Kept it simple.

Squats:
Bar warm up for 2 sets
135x...forgot but it was a few reps
225x5
315x2
365x1
405x1
455 x 2(PR first time over 1 rep) x 1 (PR..first time to do 455 for 2 sets)...WOOHOO!!
315x11 PR...I almost puked after this set. But not quite. Maybe next time lol

After that I called it a day. Kept it short cause I had to set up to propose to my now fiance. So good workout and now I gotz me a fiance, Saturday was a very good day.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the multiple PRs, and especially on the engagement, man.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Congrats on the multiple PRs, and especially on the engagement, man.
Thank you sir.

I am really blessed to have her in my life.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats man and Im happy that life is going well for you! A balance in both = the greatest sucess

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Monday was cardio with a little bit of biceps
Tuesday was some muy thai
Wednesday I rested

Tonight:
Deadlift:
315x3
365x2
415x1
465 x 2 and a half x 1

Almost got that 3rd rep but not quite. Did an extra rep afterwards

After that hit some isolation bent over rows and about 10 sets of pull downs(2 different kinds).
Wrapped it up with 20 minutes of light elliptical work.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Friday Night:

Bench:
barx50
135x10
225x5
275x3
325x2
365 (with slingshot) x2

Accessory work:
Hammer smith super incline --> 3 sets
Hammer SMith Inlcine --> 3 sets
HAmmer strength wide bench superset with decline --> 4 sets
Skull Crushers: 60x10.....90x10....110x10
Tricep extension super set (reverse and rope)--> 5 sets
Cable flies for 3 sets

Saturday Night:
5 sets of dumbell side laterals
3 sets of one arm cable side laterals
5 sets of shrugs

30 minutes of cardio

Sunday Rest and with a cheat meal

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Tonight I hit up triceps, biceps and 20 minutes of cardio.

Triceps:
Close grip bench -->225 for 4 sets (reps ranged from 6-8)
Skull crushers --> 105 for 3 sets of 10 reps
Tricep pushdowns with the rope --> did this for 4 sets for as many reps as it took to feel a good pump/burn out

Biceps:
EZ Bar curls:
35x10
75x10
85x8
85x8
100x5
100x5 --> dropped to 75x4

1 set of hammer curls with 30lb dumbells till failure

20 minutes of cardio on the elliptical

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Update: Squats and Muay Thai

Workout:
Squats:
bar warmup
135x8
225x5
225x1
315x3
365x1
405x1
455x2
455x1
405x1

Leg extensions --> 4 sets
Leg Curls --> 3 sets

After that I went upstairs and did an hour of muay thai.

I was completely dead once all was said and done. But im very happy with squats. 455 was feeling a lot light. I probably had 1 more rep in me that first set, but I didnt trust my spotter so I left it at a strong 2. The second set I made sure to get low because the last time I hit a second set with 455 I cut it high. This time it was a clean set.

Tomorrow will be maybe some yoga and walking for cardio.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thought I updated...but apparently I didnt

Bench Night:
135x10
185x10
225x6
275x4
325x 3 + 1w/spot
325x 2 + 1 w/ spot
225x11

Incline/hammer strength superset: 1 minute rest
135x10 --> 90x10
225x1 --> 90x10
225x1 --> 90x10
135x10 --> 90 till failue

Went back tot he books

Gym is closed Fri-SUn. I may do some light cardio, but lifts resume monday. Thinking about putting together a heck of a stack for a summer strength run. Been getting a lot of help from g0Hard and Kleen, so should be a summer of awesome gains.