ThighGrl's journey to more muscle

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. ThighGrl's journey to more muscle

So, here is my attempt to gain 17 lbs of muscle in 800 days, starting 02/01/2014 (yep, 11 days ago). These numbers come from a nifty goal setting feature of a popular bodybuilding website, where the only option that had me not loose lean body mass was 'bodybuilder'. I figured, it's better than totally tapping in the dark. I'm starting this log to keep myself on track, and so I have something to refer to when I want/need tips and advice on things.

For the last 6-ish years, I'v been spending about 9 months a year in the gym lifting weights, and have focused mainly on a bodybuilding-style weightlifting program (i.e. high weight, higher reps), so I'd like to think that I know a thing or two (definitely not more, though). Listening to SHR, though, recently convinced me to give the 5x5 style training a good try, so the plan is to do that for a year and build some strength, and then try a high volume program again. Or maybe, do a high volume program every 6 months for 2 months.

But, for this month, I want to get a routine going again and find my baseline, and then start tweaking things from there. Hopefully I'll be updating this log every 1-2 weeks. I don't expect things to change that often, though.

Current stats:
    height: 5'9''
    weight: 151 lbs
    bodyfat: ~21%

Goals:
    gain muscle
    not stress out and overtrain
    maybe drop some body fat eventually

Typical diet: ~ 90 g protein, ~1800 cal total
    am: hemp protein powder with 8 oz bolthouse/naked juice, ~1/4 cup heavy cream in coffee
    noon: 6-8 oz of turkey/chicken/fish + 2-3 servings veggies + 1/4 cup sauce or dressing
    snack: 7oz ***e + 1.5 oz nuts + 1 apple
    pm: 2 eggs + 1/4 egg white + 1/4 cup cheese + 3-4 oz potato, 1 beer
    + 200-400 cal elsewhere (e.g. liberal usage of olive oil/ bacon fat in cooking, more fruit, nuts)

+ BCAAs and CEE on workout days

Training:
    day 1:
    squat: 45lbs x7, 95 lbs, 95 lbs, 115 lbs, 115 lbs, 120 lbs each x5
    bench press: 75 lbs, 85 lbs, 95 lbs, 95 lbs, 105 lbs each x5
    chin ups: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2
    day 2:
    hip thrusts with barbell: 5 sets of 155 lbs x 5
    calf raises on leg press: 5 sets of 340 lbs x 7
    triceps extensions with dumbbell: 17.5 lbs, 17.5 lbs, 17.5 lbs each x 5, 20 lbs, 20 lbs each x3
    day 3:
    deadlift: 95 lbs x7, 145 lbs, 155 lbs, 165 lbs, 175 lbs, 190 lbs each x5
    chin ups: 2, 3, 2, 2, 2
    snatch (just arm movement): 20 lbs, 30 lbs, 40 lbs, 40 lbs each x5, 50 lbs x3

So here ya go

2. Awsome! First....
    Nutraceutical Innovations
    AMINDS15 - 15% code
    nutra-innovations.com
    •   

3. Looking forward to ur updates

4. In! And great start!
    Strong Supplement Shop
    - Board Rep -
    Check out our deals at strongsupplementshop.com

5. Lets see what ya got gal!
    Current Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/291581-officially-chasing-abs.html#post5714196
    •   

6. Thanks for the support! Here's a first update, which is not really an update as much as saying that I haven't fallen off the wagon yet.

I missed one day last week (day #2). Strength is still increasing slowly, I'm guessing part of that is still getting used to the different training style. And I think I'm going to switch the half snatches with presses, feels like they're not really doing anything.

I'm also thinking about switching to just one day of strength style training, and doing a bodybuilding style training (I.e. 10-ish reps with high weight) the other two days next month. The more I read, the more it seems that the 5x5 program will not give me a lot of gains in terms of muscle mass.

7. First!
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

8. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    First!
    U mean fifth? Lol....

9. Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena View Post
    U mean fifth? Lol....
    Tomato, tamáto.
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

10. Wow, not quite sure where the last three weeks went. Well, some of it was spent finding a new awesome job, and part (not as much as I'd like working out). I did change my workouts to 1 day 5x5 program, and 2 days doing the higher rep range. I did the 5x5 for 5 months total, and while it was fun, it doesn't seem the best way to gain pure muscle mass. From what I've been reading, it's all about the time under tension, and that is maximized with a high rep/ high weight lifting scheme.

And since I need to up my protein intake, I bought some CNP peptide protein powder and take 1.5 scoops after each workout.

So, here is my summarized log for the last three weeks:

Week 3:
    Same as week 2

Week 4:
    Mon: missed due to traveling
    Wed: weighted hip thrusts 10 reps x 3
    Lunges 10 x 3
    Leg curls 10 x 3
    Leg extensions 10 x 2, 8 x 1
    Calf raises on leg press machine 10 x 3
    Fri: arnold press 10 x 3
    Lateral raises 10 x 3
    Biceps curls 10 x 3
    Push ups 10 x 3
    Rowing machine 10 x 3

Week 5: same as week 4, including skipping Monday, because I was way too sore to workout. Reduced the weight a bit, so I don't have to skip next monday.

I realize now this looks really half hearted and like I'm not putting any real effort in to it. I'm gonna start updating on a weekly basis, to keep myself on track, and for better feedback later. Also working on progress pics just wish my life wasn't so damn busy right now.

11. And, my extreme accurate bodyfat scale tells me I'm now at 153.8 lbs and 21.8% bodyfat. Hoping that a bit of that weight gain is muscle.

12. Week 7
    Monday workout:
    Squats - 65 lbs x 7, 115 lbs x 5 x 4, 125 lbs x 4
    Unassisted pullups: 5 x 3 reps
    Barbell press: 55 lbs x5, 65 lbs x 5 x 4

Pre workout: 1 scoop CEE + 0.5 scoop BCAAs, 2 caps Xfactor
    Post workout: 1.5 scoops CNP peptide pro

I decided to try taking Xfactor on workout days. I've read a lot about that lately, and want to see if it does anything for me. So far, I feel definitely a bit more sore.

13. Nice workouts, ThighGrl.

14. Week 7, Wednesday workout:
    Hip thrusts: 145 lbs, 11x3
    Lunges: 70 lbs, 10x3
    Leg extensions: 95 lbs, 10x3
    Lying leg curls: 75 lbs, 10x3
    Seated machine calf raises: 160 lbs, 12x1, 180 lbs, 12x2

pre-workout: BCAAs and CEE, 2 caps ArA
    post-workout: 1.5 scoop Peptide Protein

15. Week 7, Friday workout:
    Pushups: 10x3
    Overhead rowing machine: 60 lbs, 10x1, 65 lbs, 10x2
    Arnold press: 15 lbs, 12x3
    Lateral raises: 15 lbs, 11x3
    Bar curls: 40lbs, 10x3

same pre/post workout stuff

(edit: Week, not wednesday, lol)

16. I'm switching this week to evening workouts, instead of going fasted in the morning. I'm also going to start AnaBeta Elite on Tuesday, first 2 caps throughout the day, then 4 caps if everything stays fine.

Week 8, Monday workout:
    Squat: 115 lbs, 5x3, 125 lbs, 5x2
    Unassisted pullups: 4, 4, 3, 3, 2
    Barbell press: 65 lbs, 5x5

Pre-workout: BCAAs, CEE, Ara, and AlCar
    Post-workout: 1.5 scoops peptide protein (~35 g protein)

17. Have you used ABE before? I'm interested in the results for a woman. It's one of my favorite supplements.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

18. I have never used it before. I'm interested, too, to see if women respond to it differently. I'll be posting updates as I have them

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Have you used ABE before? I'm interested in the results for a woman. It's one of my favorite supplements.

19. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Have you used ABE before? I'm interested in the results for a woman. It's one of my favorite supplements.
    I'm curious about this too.

20. Week 8, Wednesday:
    Feeling a bit stiff from the monday workout, so trying not to go too hard.
    Lunges: 65 lbs, 10 reps, 11 reps, 11 reps
    Hip thrusts: 145 lbs, 11 reps x 3
    Leg extensions: 90 lbs, 10 reps x 3
    Lying leg curls: 70 lbs, 10 reps x 3
    Donkey calf raise machine: 120lbs, 12 reps, 135 lbs, 10 reps x 2

Pre- and post-workout as usual. Also taking 2x2 caps of Anabeta Elite now.

21. Week 8, Thursday:
    Pushups: 10 reps x 3
    Hammer overhead rows: 65 lbs, 12 reps, 70 lbs, 10 reps x 2
    Arnold press: 17.5 lbs, 10 reps x 3
    Overhead triceps extensions with bar: 30 lbs, 10 reps x 3
    Lateral raises: 17.5 lbs, 10 reps x 3
    Dumbbell curls: 17.5 lbs, 10 reps x 3

Pre- and post- workout and supps as yesterday.

Also, since I never stated that before, rest on these kinds of workouts is 30-40 sec between sets. On Monday workouts it's around 2 min.

22. Lastly, I've been taking ABE since Tuesday, and since Wednesday at the full dose. Don't really feel any different yet. Well, I'm feeling less sore, but that's probably due to the AlCar (I.e. the ArA made me more sore, and the AlCar brought it back to normal). And (tmi-warning), didn't get any cramps with my period today, which is unusual. Meaning, this may or may not be due to the ABE.

And I'm having slightly more allergy problems than last year. I'm kinda blaming that on the ArA, but it might just be coincidental, too.

Lastly, last weigh in put me at 154.8 lbs at 22.5% bodyfat.

23. Time for an update! Here are last week's workouts, i.e. week 9.

Monday:
    resting about 90 - 120 sec between sets
    Squats - 55 lbs: 7 reps, 115 lbs: 2 x 5 reps, 125 lbs: 3 x 5 reps
    Pull ups - 4, 4, 3, 3, 3
    Barbell shoulder press: 75 lbs: 5 x 5 reps

Wednesday (holy mega- leg pumps, batman!):
    resting 30-35 sec between sets
    Hip thrusts: 155 lbs: 3 x 11 reps
    Lunges: 70 lbs: 12 reps, 75 lbs: 2 x 10 reps
    Leg extensions: 100 lbs: 12 reps, 2 x 10 reps
    Lying leg curls: 70 lbs: 12 reps, 2 x 10 reps
    Calf raises on leg press machine: 270lbs: 12 reps, 2 x 11 reps

Thursday:
    resting 30-45 sec between sets
    Bench press: 75 lbs: 2 x 12 reps, 10 reps
    Overhead Hammer rows: 35 lbs: 2 x 12 reps, 40 lbs: 12 reps (this was a different machine than I usually use)
    Arnold press: 20 lbs: 3 x 10 reps
    Dumbbell curls: 17.5 lbs: 2 x 11 reps, 10 reps
    Lateral raises: 17.5 lbs: 10 reps, 15 lbs: 2 x 12 reps
    (I really need to find a triceps isolation exercise for this day )

Overall, feels like this regime is working so far, at least for right now. My weight is up a few pounds since I started, some of that is definitely fat, but I think I look just a smidgen more muscular. Only time will tell, I suppose...

24. And here is week 10!

Monday:
    resting 90-120 sec between sets
    Squat: 55 lbs: 7 reps, 115 lbs: 2 x 5 reps, 125 lbs: 2 x 5 reps, 135 lbs: 5 reps
    Pull ups: 5, 4, 4, 3, 3
    Barbell shoulder press: 70 lbs: 10 reps, 65 lbs: 4 x 5 reps

looks like my strength is going up, yay!

Wednesday:
    Lunges: 75 lbs: 3 x 12 reps
    Hip thrusts: 55 lbs: 3 x 12 reps
    Leg extensions: 100 lbs: 3 x 10 reps
    Lying leg curls: 80 lbs: 12 reps, 2 x 10 reps
    Calf raises on leg press machine: 275 lbs: 3 x 12 reps,

Looks like strength is up here as well. Only got medium pumps this time, not insane ones like last week.

If my awesome bodyfat scale is right and to be trusted, I gained about 2 lbs of lean body mass (and about 2.5 lbs fat) over these 10 weeks, which would be not too shabby. At least these numbers seem reasonable, so maybe my scale speaks the truth. Gawd, why is this so hard to gain muscle??

I've noticed that since I started taking ABE and AlCar, and since starting to work out right after work (i.e. not taking the ArA on an empty stomach anymore), I'm getting less sore than I did before. Maybe it's all coincidence, maybe it's not, but I hope the ArA (and ABE) is still working...

25. Week 10, Thursday workout:
    Overhead Hammer rows: 70 lbs: 10x3
    Bench press: 75 lbs: 12x3
    Arnold press: 20 lbs: 10x3
    Lying across body triceps extensions: 12.5 lbs: 12, 10, 8
    Lateral dumbbell raises: 15 lbs: 12x3
    Dumbbell curls: 17.5 lbs: 12x3

Bumped up the ArA to 3 pills on workout days.

Scale this morning said 157.8 lbs at 22.0% bodyfat. Woot!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. want to gain more muscles
    By v1rt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 08:34 PM
  2. Trying to add more muscle mass
    By CryptoClean in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
  3. Need to gain more muscle
    By cg123 in forum Supplements