Eatmoar, a powerlifter? Who knew! Lets kill 5/3/1!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whats up guys, so I wanted to make this log of 5/3/1 because I wanted to keep my goals in mind. Im usually a more BBer type of lifter/person but after reaching some PRs and getting over 1000lbs on the big 3, I have taken a liking to powerlifting and big lifts.

Goals:
Squat: 405
Bench: 275
Deadlift: 500

Current:
Squat: 335
Bench: 235
Deadlift: 435

I really want to hit a 405 squat, so badly. So my current layout is the 5/3/1 Triumvirate which is 3 assistance exercises along with the big lifts.

Supps being used:

ArA
GMS
Creatine
Multi
Alphamine/other caffeine source
Agamtine
CM
Beta Alanine (when it arrives, i ran out)

My layout:

OHP Press
3 extra shoulder lifts (possibly tossing a shrug super set in here)
1-2 bicep lifts (6-8 total sets)

Deadlift
3 back lfits (mainly rows)

Bench Press
3 extra chest lifts
1-2 tricep lifts

Squat
Front squat, RDL, lunges, calf work

And thats the way itll go.

I was thinking about taking a deload week but turns out I was not sleeping enough. Caught up on my sleep and I feel like a new man.

I'm really not going to fuss about the assistance work, but it will be 10+ reps volume work to work on shaping each one of my muscle groups.

Lets get this log started, doing workout #1 OHP Day.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Triumvirate is an awesome way to go. Did you see the Triumvirate laid out on T-Nation? That one is, IMO, perfect. I had a buddy make unreasonably excellent gains for only spending 45min in the gym four days a week.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for joining fellas!
herderdude yeah ! Thats where I found 5/3/1 and started reading up on it. I am doing my own accessory work that tends to my weak points to bring them up and to enhance my main lift. I like to add my own flare into whatever I do.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/blood_and_chalk_jim_wendler_talks_big_weights_volume_eight

If youre talking about that one, that is pretty much what I had laid out for myself without even seeing that article! hah, me and Wendler have the same views on what works ;)

Here is what i did for OHP day:

OHP

65x15
65x12
75x5
85x5
95x5
105x10 (last all out set)

The reason I went for 4 sets here is because I really underestimated my OHP press when I did the calculations for the 5/3/1 . I think the reason i thought my OHP was weak is because im used to doing push/pull/legs where OHP was always done after doing chest where my shoudlers were already toast. So I need to recalculate those numbers and fix them. I think my max OHP is somewhere near 155 instead of the 125 I had used to calculate these numbers with. Either way my shoudlers felt strong today

side raises SS shrugs (70lbs dbs)

20x4x20

Face pulls
90x15
100x12
100x12

DB Shoulder Press
40x12
40x10
40x11
40x10

21s x 3 sets
preacher curls 3 sets + 1 drop set
hammer curls x 2 sets

Felt good today and the ArA pumps are intense. Cant wait ti DL tomorrow.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
In on this. We have extremely similar stats man! About the same height, weight and lifts plus I just started an ARA run with 5/3/1 but I go BBB for assistance.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In on this. We have extremely similar stats man! About the same height, weight and lifts plus I just started an ARA run with 5/3/1 but I go BBB for assistance.
I saw the BBB, that seems interesting. There are so many variations to this 5/3/1 program I love it. I may switch to BBB in a few months when I get bored of all my assistance work. The reason I like the triumvirate is because i love volume and pump along with strength. perfect combo imo

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge
joh408 this is interesting as well!

joh408

Awards
  • Established
I saw the BBB, that seems interesting. There are so many variations to this 5/3/1 program I love it. I may switch to BBB in a few months when I get bored of all my assistance work. The reason I like the triumvirate is because i love volume and pump along with strength. perfect combo imo
I did Dave Tate's Periodization last year for my accessory work and liked it a lot. Tried BBB as a change up and I think I found my program for strength and size. I switch up my BBB sets for bench, DL and squat so I'm not doing the same thing too much. Flat, incline and now reverse grip for bench. Conventional, SLDL, RDL and sumo for deadlift. Low bar, high bar, front and split for squats. Keeps it interesting for sure.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did Dave Tate's Periodization last year for my accessory work and liked it a lot. Tried BBB as a change up and I think I found my program for strength and size. I switch up my BBB sets for bench, DL and squat so I'm not doing the same thing too much. Flat, incline and now reverse grip for bench. Conventional, SLDL, RDL and sumo for deadlift. Low bar, high bar, front and split for squats. Keeps it interesting for sure.
so instead of doing flat bench for 5x10 you do the 5/3/1 flat bench and then 5x10 incline?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, I see, kind of the marriage between BBing and strength training. This is the Triumvirate I was referring to:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

If you get a hold of the E-book, you'll see a thousand different ways to run it. My suggestion is to pick one and run the shït out of it. He's already taken many, many things into consideration as far as balance and building up the right structure to make you progress in your lifts. Once you begin to tweak/hybridize, you continue to do so until what you're left running doesn't look anything at all like what you set out to run.

It's your training and ultimately what motivates you to go balls out 52 weeks a year is what's going to bring the best results, but browse around and cherry pick from Wendler. He's a smart guy.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
so instead of doing flat bench for 5x10 you do the 5/3/1 flat bench and then 5x10 incline?
Yup! Reading 5/3/1 and 5/3/1 for powerlifters really drove home the fact that accessory work is just that, accessory to the main lift. Incline gives me a better chest pump as broscience as that sounds so I do it more. I tried reverse grip today and it gave me a similar feeling but with less strain on my shoulders so that'll get worked in a lot more.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, I see, kind of the marriage between BBing and strength training. This is the Triumvirate I was referring to:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

If you get a hold of the E-book, you'll see a thousand different ways to run it. My suggestion is to pick one and run the shït out of it. He's already taken many, many things into consideration as far as balance and building up the right structure to make you progress in your lifts. Once you begin to tweak/hybridize, you continue to do so until what you're left running doesn't look anything at all like what you set out to run.

It's your training and ultimately what motivates you to go balls out 52 weeks a year is what's going to bring the best results, but browse around and cherry pick from Wendler. He's a smart guy.
Ill find it and give it a read for sure. I agree, I can tell by his writing style he knows his sh1t. not to mention hes a strong human being lol.

I saw that split on tnation and didnt really like it for some reason, it didnt seem like it interested me. but to be honest BBB is starting to look really really good.
joh408 ill give it a go thanks bud! and youre right were like the same person with our stats lol. Also how do you like BBB, did you find yourself gaining a good amount of mass despite missing those assessory lifts (curls, tricep work etc) I just find myself still stuck on that crap for some reason.

jimbuick I could have a buddy film me one day when I max out if youd like. I never recorded myself lifting before.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ill find it and give it a read for sure. I agree, I can tell by his writing style he knows his sh1t. not to mention hes a strong human being lol.

I saw that split on tnation and didnt really like it for some reason, it didnt seem like it interested me. but to be honest BBB is starting to look really really good.
joh408 ill give it a go thanks bud! and youre right were like the same person with our stats lol.
jimbuick I could have a buddy film me one day when I max out if youd like. I never recorded myself lifting before.
It would be worth doing so that we could help you find and fix weak points in your big three (and technique flaws).

joh408

Awards
  • Established
BBB fits my goals right now. I add more volume after BBB and the main accessory lift. I still do curls on OHP day just to make sure I stretch out my biceps. Triceps on bench day just so I strengthen my lockout. Mass is coming along nicely. With my bulk I barely added on my waist but my chest leaned out and grew also. Arms are up .5" flexed. Quads up also. Shoulders blew up with volume

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BBB fits my goals right now. I add more volume after BBB and the main accessory lift. I still do curls on OHP day just to make sure I stretch out my biceps. Triceps on bench day just so I strengthen my lockout. Mass is coming along nicely. With my bulk I barely added on my waist but my chest leaned out and grew also. Arms are up .5" flexed. Quads up also. Shoulders blew up with volume
I think I'm going to adopt the BBB template from the article I linked before. It seems like to much fun to pass up, especially those 5x10 big lifts =D
jimbuick alrighty I'll try to get some videos up, I can always use some tips on form!

joh408

Awards
  • Established
5x10 on the big lifts is a great way to get really proficient at the movement. My form has improved greatly since incorporating it. Whatever accessory work you choose, stick with it for a couple cycles before you change it

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Deadlift Day....... woohooo

I decided on leaving my 5/3/1 the way i have it set up in my OP. I can't live without volume but i love coupling it with strength. Lets kill back todaY!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
here is how today went:

Deadlift

135x12
185x10
225x10
255x5
285x5
325x8

That weight felt light, its my first time doing any type of progression with percentages so ill assume it should be since taht was only 65/75/85% of a 90% my 1RM. Felt good either way.

Pendlay Row
145x3x10
145x2x8

Meadows Row
75 (not including bar) x 15/12/10

Lat pull downs

130x10
130x8

Stretch and foam roll and im out!

That was actually a quick lift, in and out in 60 minutes. I went in and got **** done. It felt good. Cant wait to keep progressing in my DLs.

I saw some kids there today, they didnt seem that big at all. I watched them DL and they were pulling 3x5 with 405 lbs. I went up and talked to them for a bit, turns out they were doing 5/3/1 also. Its crazy how you can be "small" and have all that strength and then these big guys dont push/pull that much weight at all. IMO , having strength and size is where its at, however size is all about how much ya eat :D

Id also like to point out yesterday I ate 600g of carbs....it felt really good. I plan to do the same today lol. My calories will be around 3800 kCals.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff man. Sounds like a good time eating 600g of carbs haha

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good stuff man. Sounds like a good time eating 600g of carbs haha
it was insane. i got back from the gym the other day starving. i tossed 1.5 boxes of wheat pasta in a pan and boiled it up. ate everything and was still hungry.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed!

Don't be afraid of doin some extra leg work on deadlift days either!

Good luck buddy. Have you looked up any meets?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed!

Don't be afraid of doin some extra leg work on deadlift days either!

Good luck buddy. Have you looked up any meets?
I had deadlift day as more of a back day and squat days is leg day but I don't mind tossing in extra leg work.

Haven't yet. Me and my buddy want to do some meets though. Hopefully there are some around CT area.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had deadlift day as more of a back day and squat days is leg day but I don't mind tossing in extra leg work. Haven't yet. Me and my buddy want to do some meets though. Hopefully there are some around CT area.
Yup there's one in RI and two in CT coming up I believe.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yup there's one in RI and two in CT coming up I believe.
Really?! I'm going to have to look them up and get to working hard. That'd be a real fun time.

Okay Sean, since I know you've been PLing for awhile. Is it dumb for me to think if I do less rowing movements, curl/tricep work by going to the BBB 5/3/1 that I will loose arm size and back width?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really?! I'm going to have to look them up and get to working hard. That'd be a real fun time. Okay Sean, since I know you've been PLing for awhile. Is it dumb for me to think if I do less rowing movements, curl/tricep work by going to the BBB 5/3/1 that I will loose arm size and back width?
I'm not a fan of BBB if you're training for a powerlifting meet. You should focus on movements that will carry over to your Big 3. Less rowing is never good either. I would personally do a row variant, hit it for 5 sets, 3 times a week. I tend to follow something along the lines of the Periodization Bible template, with an additional back exercise on deadlift day.

A lot of people enjoy BBB though, and if you feel that it's working for you, then go for it. It ain't gonna hurt you.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not a fan of BBB if you're training for a powerlifting meet. You should focus on movements that will carry over to your Big 3. Less rowing is never good either. I would personally do a row variant, hit it for 5 sets, 3 times a week. I tend to follow something along the lines of the Periodization Bible template, with an additional back exercise on deadlift day.

A lot of people enjoy BBB though, and if you feel that it's working for you, then go for it. It ain't gonna hurt you.
So the main lift + 3 extra accessory exercises? What days do you do row movements on? Deadlift day, squat day and ..?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So the main lift + 3 extra accessory exercises? What days do you do row movements on? Deadlift day, squat day and ..?
Something like:
-Deadlift, hamstring, quad, row
-Bench, chest, row, Tri/bi
-Squat, hamstring, quad
-OHP, shoulder, row, Tri/bi

That's what I personally do. Just my preference. Everyone is different and what works for one person, may not work for the other, ya know? You just gotta find what works for you and what you enjoy.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Something like:
-Deadlift, hamstring, quad, row
-Bench, chest, row, Tri/bi
-Squat, hamstring, quad
-OHP, shoulder, row, Tri/bi

That's what I personally do. Just my preference. Everyone is different and what works for one person, may not work for the other, ya know? You just gotta find what works for you and what you enjoy.
Hmmm I kind of like that. Hitting rows 3x and 2x on tri/bi. I read he said on upper body days to add a row or chin movement

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In. I do a version of 5/3/1 that's kinda of based off the triumvirate. If you have any questions about 5/3/1 and what works best etc I can answer what I can from reading all the books and running it for over a year with great results. Goodluck man.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In. I do a version of 5/3/1 that's kinda of based off the triumvirate. If you have any questions about 5/3/1 and what works best etc I can answer what I can from reading all the books and running it for over a year with great results. Goodluck man.
Great to have ya! Yeah thanks. I'm new to 5/3/1 any help is appreciated

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No prob man. You will like it a lot once you get a few months under your belt for sure.

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
Good work man! I, too, have recently started 5/3/1 after training mostly like a BB my whole life. I just wrapped up my third MC. Be patient with the program, as the strength gains come slowly; but they come. Also, make sure you do the deloads

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmm I kind of like that. Hitting rows 3x and 2x on tri/bi. I read he said on upper body days to add a row or chin movement
As far as your arm size and back width concerns, I do rows every day except squat day and chins 2x/week and curl LIGHT (25lbs, empty bar) 1x/wk to stretch out my biceps and train triceps hard and heavy 2x/week. My arms have grown .75" in the last 13months on that routine and a former coworker just commented that "It looks like someone hung another set of lats on your lats."

Don't worry about a thing, man. As Mark Bell says, "You can't go wrong if you're trying to be strong."

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do everything you have prescribed, and if you feel like you need some extra work somewhere, add it. Only 2 rules:

Don't let it take away from your main movement

Don't do anything stupid.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As far as your arm size and back width concerns, I do rows every day except squat day and chins 2x/week and curl LIGHT (25lbs, empty bar) 1x/wk to stretch out my biceps and train triceps hard and heavy 2x/week. My arms have grown .75" in the last 13months on that routine and a former coworker just commented that "It looks like someone hung another set of lats on your lats."

Don't worry about a thing, man. As Mark Bell says, "You can't go wrong if you're trying to be strong."
So you kind of do what Sean does? What's your outline look like I'm curious if.you don't mind.

Ahahah I'll try not to do anything dumb country.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I'm in.

I ran 5/3/1 with the BBB template for a bit. Right up until my (unrelated) injury. I didn't run it long enough to see the results but I did love the training.

The girlfriend (and training partner) has been running it for about 9 months with the triumvirate assistance setup. Going from a 140 squat to a 210.

Good luck!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's your outline look like
Bench, supplemental press, triceps, shoulders, back

Deadlift, supplemental pulls, GMs, GHR, rows

OHP, incline press, shoulders, back, hamstrings

Squat, pause squat, GMs, GHR, rows.

Pull ups and curls are sprinkled in, but what you see is must-do.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bench, supplemental press, triceps, shoulders, back

Deadlift, supplemental pulls, GMs, GHR, rows

OHP, incline press, shoulders, back, hamstrings

Squat, pause squat, GMs, GHR, rows.

Pull ups and curls are sprinkled in, but what you see is must-do.
What are GHRs?

EDIT: nvm I know what those are. Those are killer for hamstrings

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright. Had to rest yesterday because i had work from 6am to 5pm and then slept until 10pm lol. Currently at work till 4 now and going to CRUSHHHHHH my lift after work.

Nothing like lifting after a huge rest day

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So i decided to take Sean1332 's template and make it into my own!

Here was last nights lift:

Bench

barx30
95x15
115x12
135x5
160x5
185x6
160x6
135x8

(yes i know my bench is weak, still getting up there(

Incline BB Bench

105x10x5

DB Rows

70x10x5

Hex Press
40x13
40x12
40x10
40x10
40x10

Tricep/Bicep work (2 super sets consisting of:

Push downs SS db curls
Overhead ext SS 21s

Conditioning:

6 30 yd springs super setted with some type of ab work, i did this for only 3 circuits since thats all i had time for.

TIME TO GO SQUAT!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like it! Good work. **** bench. I hate it.
i just cant get hyped for it, but i want a bigger stronger chest lol. do you by any chance have any knowledge about prowlers? I want to buy one for conditioning. they look like such a beastly time.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's an awesome conditioning tool. If you have the money, it's worth it. I believe Dick's sells them cheap.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Subbed

Don't worry about bench man, mine sucks too but the good thing is it will go up from now on

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed Don't worry about bench man, mine sucks too but the good thing is it will go up from now on
Thanks for joining! Yeah I really just want solid bench number. However id rather see my deadlift and squat numbers skyrocket.

I'll check out dicks Sean, hopefully they won't break the bank to much.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright so tonight was mah squat day!

Squats

bodysquatsx20
135x12
155x8

Working Sets

195x5
225x5
255x8
225x5
195x10 (killed this set! felt so good)

Front Squat (still getting the form down)
75x11
95x8
115x5
115x5
115x5 (going to up the weight, kind of like a 3x5 progression here)

GHRx4 super setted with 20lbs DB RDL (for extra stretch, i have to say i couldnt walk correctly after doing these since my hammy pump was out of this world)

Walking Lunges with 80lbs on the BB

A total of 60 yards (2 sets of 30 yds)

6 Sets of Calf work consisting of calf raises with a 5 second hold and 3 sets of seated calf presses 20+ reps for pump.

Im so used to doing heavy amounts of volume but for some reason, even though this doesnt seem like much volume, i had a huge pump and my legs were tired. I think im going to add leg extensions and hammy leg curls for a burn set next time.

On that note, time for sleep. Have to be up early for an 8am lab so hopefully i can get a lift in before work tomorrow! Stay tuned folkZ

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So far so good, forgot to add this lift!

OHP Press 3x3 Week

barx20
65x12
75x8

95x4
105x3
115x6
105x3
95x6

Side raises 20/1lbs drop sets x 3 sets

Rear delt Face pulls
100x12
100x11
100x12

NG Chin ups

Bwx8
Bwx7
Bwx6

Tbar Rows (on hammer machine, lower back hurt and couldnt do these with the BB)

90x11
90x10
90x10
90x11
90x10

Preacher curls x5 sets
Push Downs x5 sets

Pretty good lift, i decided to add chin ups on random days to help with the back development. Also i love the pyramiding down! I feel the burn on that very last set and having two sets where you can go all out is so much to look forward to! So far im loving 5/3/1 im deadlifting today so im hitting that in an hour.

Im adding some leg extension/leg curls to my DL day along with doing the same supplemental row work.