Eatmoar, a powerlifter? Who knew! Lets kill 5/3/1!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Eatmoar, a powerlifter? Who knew! Lets kill 5/3/1!


    Whats up guys, so I wanted to make this log of 5/3/1 because I wanted to keep my goals in mind. Im usually a more BBer type of lifter/person but after reaching some PRs and getting over 1000lbs on the big 3, I have taken a liking to powerlifting and big lifts.

    Goals:
    Squat: 405
    Bench: 275
    Deadlift: 500

    Current:
    Squat: 335
    Bench: 235
    Deadlift: 435

    I really want to hit a 405 squat, so badly. So my current layout is the 5/3/1 Triumvirate which is 3 assistance exercises along with the big lifts.

    Supps being used:

    ArA
    GMS
    Creatine
    Multi
    Alphamine/other caffeine source
    Agamtine
    CM
    Beta Alanine (when it arrives, i ran out)

    My layout:

    OHP Press
    3 extra shoulder lifts (possibly tossing a shrug super set in here)
    1-2 bicep lifts (6-8 total sets)

    Deadlift
    3 back lfits (mainly rows)

    Bench Press
    3 extra chest lifts
    1-2 tricep lifts

    Squat
    Front squat, RDL, lunges, calf work

    And thats the way itll go.

    I was thinking about taking a deload week but turns out I was not sleeping enough. Caught up on my sleep and I feel like a new man.

    I'm really not going to fuss about the assistance work, but it will be 10+ reps volume work to work on shaping each one of my muscle groups.

    Lets get this log started, doing workout #1 OHP Day.

  2. Elite Member
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,264
    Rep Power
    609006
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    7.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Triumvirate is an awesome way to go. Did you see the Triumvirate laid out on T-Nation? That one is, IMO, perfect. I had a buddy make unreasonably excellent gains for only spending 45min in the gym four days a week.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  3. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Thanks for joining fellas!
    @herderdude yeah ! Thats where I found 5/3/1 and started reading up on it. I am doing my own accessory work that tends to my weak points to bring them up and to enhance my main lift. I like to add my own flare into whatever I do.

    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...s_volume_eight

    If youre talking about that one, that is pretty much what I had laid out for myself without even seeing that article! hah, me and Wendler have the same views on what works

    Here is what i did for OHP day:

    OHP

    65x15
    65x12
    75x5
    85x5
    95x5
    105x10 (last all out set)

    The reason I went for 4 sets here is because I really underestimated my OHP press when I did the calculations for the 5/3/1 . I think the reason i thought my OHP was weak is because im used to doing push/pull/legs where OHP was always done after doing chest where my shoudlers were already toast. So I need to recalculate those numbers and fix them. I think my max OHP is somewhere near 155 instead of the 125 I had used to calculate these numbers with. Either way my shoudlers felt strong today

    side raises SS shrugs (70lbs dbs)

    20x4x20

    Face pulls
    90x15
    100x12
    100x12

    DB Shoulder Press
    40x12
    40x10
    40x11
    40x10

    21s x 3 sets
    preacher curls 3 sets + 1 drop set
    hammer curls x 2 sets

    Felt good today and the ArA pumps are intense. Cant wait ti DL tomorrow.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    joh408's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    482544
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    89.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    In on this. We have extremely similar stats man! About the same height, weight and lifts plus I just started an ARA run with 5/3/1 but I go BBB for assistance.
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  5. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by joh408 View Post
    In on this. We have extremely similar stats man! About the same height, weight and lifts plus I just started an ARA run with 5/3/1 but I go BBB for assistance.
    I saw the BBB, that seems interesting. There are so many variations to this 5/3/1 program I love it. I may switch to BBB in a few months when I get bored of all my assistance work. The reason I like the triumvirate is because i love volume and pump along with strength. perfect combo imo

    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...onth_challenge
    @joh408 this is interesting as well!
  6. Senior Member
    joh408's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    482544
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    89.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    I saw the BBB, that seems interesting. There are so many variations to this 5/3/1 program I love it. I may switch to BBB in a few months when I get bored of all my assistance work. The reason I like the triumvirate is because i love volume and pump along with strength. perfect combo imo
    I did Dave Tate's Periodization last year for my accessory work and liked it a lot. Tried BBB as a change up and I think I found my program for strength and size. I switch up my BBB sets for bench, DL and squat so I'm not doing the same thing too much. Flat, incline and now reverse grip for bench. Conventional, SLDL, RDL and sumo for deadlift. Low bar, high bar, front and split for squats. Keeps it interesting for sure.
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  7. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by joh408 View Post
    I did Dave Tate's Periodization last year for my accessory work and liked it a lot. Tried BBB as a change up and I think I found my program for strength and size. I switch up my BBB sets for bench, DL and squat so I'm not doing the same thing too much. Flat, incline and now reverse grip for bench. Conventional, SLDL, RDL and sumo for deadlift. Low bar, high bar, front and split for squats. Keeps it interesting for sure.
    so instead of doing flat bench for 5x10 you do the 5/3/1 flat bench and then 5x10 incline?
  8. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,638
    Rep Power
    7726996
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    90.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    What's your height/weight?
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  9. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    What's your height/weight?
    5 foot 8 inches, 190 lbs
  10. Elite Member
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,264
    Rep Power
    609006
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    7.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Oh, I see, kind of the marriage between BBing and strength training. This is the Triumvirate I was referring to:

    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._pure_strength

    If you get a hold of the E-book, you'll see a thousand different ways to run it. My suggestion is to pick one and run the sht out of it. He's already taken many, many things into consideration as far as balance and building up the right structure to make you progress in your lifts. Once you begin to tweak/hybridize, you continue to do so until what you're left running doesn't look anything at all like what you set out to run.

    It's your training and ultimately what motivates you to go balls out 52 weeks a year is what's going to bring the best results, but browse around and cherry pick from Wendler. He's a smart guy.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  11. Senior Member
    joh408's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    482544
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    89.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    so instead of doing flat bench for 5x10 you do the 5/3/1 flat bench and then 5x10 incline?
    Yup! Reading 5/3/1 and 5/3/1 for powerlifters really drove home the fact that accessory work is just that, accessory to the main lift. Incline gives me a better chest pump as broscience as that sounds so I do it more. I tried reverse grip today and it gave me a similar feeling but with less strain on my shoulders so that'll get worked in a lot more.
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  12. Senior Member
    joh408's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    482544
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    89.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    I saw that. I might change it up but right now I am loving the results so I'm sticking it out. I have a link in my sig to my log if you wanna check out the last couple pages for a feeling of how I train 5/3/1
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  13. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,638
    Rep Power
    7726996
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    90.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Do you get video of any of your lifts?
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  14. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Oh, I see, kind of the marriage between BBing and strength training. This is the Triumvirate I was referring to:

    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._pure_strength

    If you get a hold of the E-book, you'll see a thousand different ways to run it. My suggestion is to pick one and run the sht out of it. He's already taken many, many things into consideration as far as balance and building up the right structure to make you progress in your lifts. Once you begin to tweak/hybridize, you continue to do so until what you're left running doesn't look anything at all like what you set out to run.

    It's your training and ultimately what motivates you to go balls out 52 weeks a year is what's going to bring the best results, but browse around and cherry pick from Wendler. He's a smart guy.
    Ill find it and give it a read for sure. I agree, I can tell by his writing style he knows his sh1t. not to mention hes a strong human being lol.

    I saw that split on tnation and didnt really like it for some reason, it didnt seem like it interested me. but to be honest BBB is starting to look really really good.
    @joh408 ill give it a go thanks bud! and youre right were like the same person with our stats lol. Also how do you like BBB, did you find yourself gaining a good amount of mass despite missing those assessory lifts (curls, tricep work etc) I just find myself still stuck on that crap for some reason.

    @jimbuick I could have a buddy film me one day when I max out if youd like. I never recorded myself lifting before.
  15. Diamond Member
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,638
    Rep Power
    7726996
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    90.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post

    Ill find it and give it a read for sure. I agree, I can tell by his writing style he knows his sh1t. not to mention hes a strong human being lol.

    I saw that split on tnation and didnt really like it for some reason, it didnt seem like it interested me. but to be honest BBB is starting to look really really good.
    @joh408 ill give it a go thanks bud! and youre right were like the same person with our stats lol.
    @jimbuick I could have a buddy film me one day when I max out if youd like. I never recorded myself lifting before.
    It would be worth doing so that we could help you find and fix weak points in your big three (and technique flaws).
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

    Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  16. Senior Member
    joh408's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    482544
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    89.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    BBB fits my goals right now. I add more volume after BBB and the main accessory lift. I still do curls on OHP day just to make sure I stretch out my biceps. Triceps on bench day just so I strengthen my *******. Mass is coming along nicely. With my bulk I barely added on my waist but my chest leaned out and grew also. Arms are up .5" flexed. Quads up also. Shoulders blew up with volume
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  17. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by joh408 View Post
    BBB fits my goals right now. I add more volume after BBB and the main accessory lift. I still do curls on OHP day just to make sure I stretch out my biceps. Triceps on bench day just so I strengthen my *******. Mass is coming along nicely. With my bulk I barely added on my waist but my chest leaned out and grew also. Arms are up .5" flexed. Quads up also. Shoulders blew up with volume
    I think I'm going to adopt the BBB template from the article I linked before. It seems like to much fun to pass up, especially those 5x10 big lifts =D
    @jimbuick alrighty I'll try to get some videos up, I can always use some tips on form!
  18. Senior Member
    joh408's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    482544
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    89.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    5x10 on the big lifts is a great way to get really proficient at the movement. My form has improved greatly since incorporating it. Whatever accessory work you choose, stick with it for a couple cycles before you change it
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  19. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Deadlift Day....... woohooo

    I decided on leaving my 5/3/1 the way i have it set up in my OP. I can't live without volume but i love coupling it with strength. Lets kill back todaY!
  20. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    here is how today went:

    Deadlift

    135x12
    185x10
    225x10
    255x5
    285x5
    325x8

    That weight felt light, its my first time doing any type of progression with percentages so ill assume it should be since taht was only 65/75/85% of a 90% my 1RM. Felt good either way.

    Pendlay Row
    145x3x10
    145x2x8

    Meadows Row
    75 (not including bar) x 15/12/10

    Lat pull downs

    130x10
    130x8

    Stretch and foam roll and im out!

    That was actually a quick lift, in and out in 60 minutes. I went in and got **** done. It felt good. Cant wait to keep progressing in my DLs.

    I saw some kids there today, they didnt seem that big at all. I watched them DL and they were pulling 3x5 with 405 lbs. I went up and talked to them for a bit, turns out they were doing 5/3/1 also. Its crazy how you can be "small" and have all that strength and then these big guys dont push/pull that much weight at all. IMO , having strength and size is where its at, however size is all about how much ya eat


    Id also like to point out yesterday I ate 600g of carbs....it felt really good. I plan to do the same today lol. My calories will be around 3800 kCals.
  21. Senior Member
    joh408's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    482544
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    89.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Good stuff man. Sounds like a good time eating 600g of carbs haha
    Justin
    Instagram: justin_ohara9
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/231863-joh408s-longterm-quest.html
  22. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by joh408 View Post
    Good stuff man. Sounds like a good time eating 600g of carbs haha
    it was insane. i got back from the gym the other day starving. i tossed 1.5 boxes of wheat pasta in a pan and boiled it up. ate everything and was still hungry.
  23. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,340
    Rep Power
    3827598
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Subbed!

    Don't be afraid of doin some extra leg work on deadlift days either!

    Good luck buddy. Have you looked up any meets?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  24. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Subbed!

    Don't be afraid of doin some extra leg work on deadlift days either!

    Good luck buddy. Have you looked up any meets?
    I had deadlift day as more of a back day and squat days is leg day but I don't mind tossing in extra leg work.

    Haven't yet. Me and my buddy want to do some meets though. Hopefully there are some around CT area.
  25. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,340
    Rep Power
    3827598
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    I had deadlift day as more of a back day and squat days is leg day but I don't mind tossing in extra leg work. Haven't yet. Me and my buddy want to do some meets though. Hopefully there are some around CT area.
    Yup there's one in RI and two in CT coming up I believe.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  26. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

    Yup there's one in RI and two in CT coming up I believe.
    Really?! I'm going to have to look them up and get to working hard. That'd be a real fun time.

    Okay Sean, since I know you've been PLing for awhile. Is it dumb for me to think if I do less rowing movements, curl/tricep work by going to the BBB 5/3/1 that I will loose arm size and back width?
  27. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,340
    Rep Power
    3827598
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    Really?! I'm going to have to look them up and get to working hard. That'd be a real fun time. Okay Sean, since I know you've been PLing for awhile. Is it dumb for me to think if I do less rowing movements, curl/tricep work by going to the BBB 5/3/1 that I will loose arm size and back width?
    I'm not a fan of BBB if you're training for a powerlifting meet. You should focus on movements that will carry over to your Big 3. Less rowing is never good either. I would personally do a row variant, hit it for 5 sets, 3 times a week. I tend to follow something along the lines of the Periodization Bible template, with an additional back exercise on deadlift day.

    A lot of people enjoy BBB though, and if you feel that it's working for you, then go for it. It ain't gonna hurt you.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  28. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

    I'm not a fan of BBB if you're training for a powerlifting meet. You should focus on movements that will carry over to your Big 3. Less rowing is never good either. I would personally do a row variant, hit it for 5 sets, 3 times a week. I tend to follow something along the lines of the Periodization Bible template, with an additional back exercise on deadlift day.

    A lot of people enjoy BBB though, and if you feel that it's working for you, then go for it. It ain't gonna hurt you.
    So the main lift + 3 extra accessory exercises? What days do you do row movements on? Deadlift day, squat day and ..?
  29. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12,340
    Rep Power
    3827598
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    So the main lift + 3 extra accessory exercises? What days do you do row movements on? Deadlift day, squat day and ..?
    Something like:
    -Deadlift, hamstring, quad, row
    -Bench, chest, row, Tri/bi
    -Squat, hamstring, quad
    -OHP, shoulder, row, Tri/bi

    That's what I personally do. Just my preference. Everyone is different and what works for one person, may not work for the other, ya know? You just gotta find what works for you and what you enjoy.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  30. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

    Something like:
    -Deadlift, hamstring, quad, row
    -Bench, chest, row, Tri/bi
    -Squat, hamstring, quad
    -OHP, shoulder, row, Tri/bi

    That's what I personally do. Just my preference. Everyone is different and what works for one person, may not work for the other, ya know? You just gotta find what works for you and what you enjoy.
    Hmmm I kind of like that. Hitting rows 3x and 2x on tri/bi. I read he said on upper body days to add a row or chin movement
  31. Elite Member
    CountryLiftin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,430
    Rep Power
    814201
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    22.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    In. I do a version of 5/3/1 that's kinda of based off the triumvirate. If you have any questions about 5/3/1 and what works best etc I can answer what I can from reading all the books and running it for over a year with great results. Goodluck man.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  32. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    In. I do a version of 5/3/1 that's kinda of based off the triumvirate. If you have any questions about 5/3/1 and what works best etc I can answer what I can from reading all the books and running it for over a year with great results. Goodluck man.
    Great to have ya! Yeah thanks. I'm new to 5/3/1 any help is appreciated
  33. Elite Member
    CountryLiftin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,430
    Rep Power
    814201
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    22.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    No prob man. You will like it a lot once you get a few months under your belt for sure.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  34. New Member
    throneof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    405
    Rep Power
    137746
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    42.48%

    Good work man! I, too, have recently started 5/3/1 after training mostly like a BB my whole life. I just wrapped up my third MC. Be patient with the program, as the strength gains come slowly; but they come. Also, make sure you do the deloads
  35. Elite Member
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,264
    Rep Power
    609006
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    7.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post

    Hmmm I kind of like that. Hitting rows 3x and 2x on tri/bi. I read he said on upper body days to add a row or chin movement
    As far as your arm size and back width concerns, I do rows every day except squat day and chins 2x/week and curl LIGHT (25lbs, empty bar) 1x/wk to stretch out my biceps and train triceps hard and heavy 2x/week. My arms have grown .75" in the last 13months on that routine and a former coworker just commented that "It looks like someone hung another set of lats on your lats."

    Don't worry about a thing, man. As Mark Bell says, "You can't go wrong if you're trying to be strong."
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  36. Elite Member
    CountryLiftin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,430
    Rep Power
    814201
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    22.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Do everything you have prescribed, and if you feel like you need some extra work somewhere, add it. Only 2 rules:

    Don't let it take away from your main movement

    Don't do anything stupid.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  37. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

    As far as your arm size and back width concerns, I do rows every day except squat day and chins 2x/week and curl LIGHT (25lbs, empty bar) 1x/wk to stretch out my biceps and train triceps hard and heavy 2x/week. My arms have grown .75" in the last 13months on that routine and a former coworker just commented that "It looks like someone hung another set of lats on your lats."

    Don't worry about a thing, man. As Mark Bell says, "You can't go wrong if you're trying to be strong."
    So you kind of do what Sean does? What's your outline look like I'm curious if.you don't mind.

    Ahahah I'll try not to do anything dumb country.
  38. Senior Member
    PumpHouse's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,768
    Rep Power
    136442
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    12.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I'm in.


    I ran 5/3/1 with the BBB template for a bit. Right up until my (unrelated) injury. I didn't run it long enough to see the results but I did love the training.

    The girlfriend (and training partner) has been running it for about 9 months with the triumvirate assistance setup. Going from a 140 squat to a 210.

    Good luck!
  39. Elite Member
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,264
    Rep Power
    609006
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    7.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    What's your outline look like
    Bench, supplemental press, triceps, shoulders, back

    Deadlift, supplemental pulls, GMs, GHR, rows

    OHP, incline press, shoulders, back, hamstrings

    Squat, pause squat, GMs, GHR, rows.

    Pull ups and curls are sprinkled in, but what you see is must-do.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  40. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,542
    Rep Power
    1166743
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

    Bench, supplemental press, triceps, shoulders, back

    Deadlift, supplemental pulls, GMs, GHR, rows

    OHP, incline press, shoulders, back, hamstrings

    Squat, pause squat, GMs, GHR, rows.

    Pull ups and curls are sprinkled in, but what you see is must-do.
    What are GHRs?

    EDIT: nvm I know what those are. Those are killer for hamstrings
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 10:58 PM
  2. Ohioan who killed self, 5 others had vowed change
    By EasyEJL in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 07:13 PM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 09:54 AM
  4. Sam, Who Let the HOGS Out?!?!
    By Mass_69 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 10:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in