the napalm detroit barbell experience...

napalm

napalm

Awards
it was time to put my wpc worlds thread to sleep, so here we go with a new adventure

finally met jj at db today and gave him some cash. got there and there was a crew in full blown bench mode, about 10 guys and a couple women on 3 benches. tim, who i met at worlds and jj and his wife were squatting - she's pretty strong, i've seen her compete before. jj is an 800+ squatter.

met clay brandenberg - the other owner w jj. clay is, how do i say this, large. like 5'11" 400 lbs large. he's benched 932 in an apf meet. yep, 932. he's worth a google. there was a little filipino kid, about 145 lbs doing a shirted 365 like it was nothing. i was pretty impressed and by that i mean a little intimidated by the weights these guys were throwing around. there were a couple obv bench only guys that were just brutally strong. big clay was coaching everybody up after they did their set.

i've been to db before watching a meet, but this was the first time i've seen it in an everyday setup. they have everything freakin thing one needs, every bar, band and chain. ghr - a nice one too, two monos and i think 3 racks. 3 comp benches and db's up to 200. not a lot of floor space but every toy a powerlifter needs. they're having an in house meet jan 18, i'm not gonna compete but i'll be there trying to get to know everybody. having trained by myself for my entire life, it's gonna be a big adjustment for me training w a crew. no more in and out of the gym in 50 minutes, i'm guessing everyday is going to be a couple hours at least. have to plan more food, stay on the kid to get her homework done blah blah.

but around here, these are the big boys. and if you wanna be one of the big boys, you have to find and train with them. the board on the wall is mighty impressive. i think tim said there's 3 world record holders here.

i plan on starting to squat w the bar this week and see where it goes. i haven't done anything but air squat since worlds, this will be interesting. i don't plan on being ready to squat for nationals in may, so i'll prolly do bench only and dl only. we'll see. the goal is to do full power at worlds in west palm beach this year, so this log will be pretty boring squat wise until the middle of the year. there's gonna be a lot of rehab in the early part of this so bear w me.

i'll be going to db on tuesday, don't know what the plan is yet jj said a crew gets there about 5.

WEEEEEEEEEEEE.......

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cuatro.

smoker145

And homework isn't that important. Test grades weigh more than homework. 75%>15%

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed for the 600lb reverse band two board pressin.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Subbed

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed.

You'll get a kick out of this; Alex said his resolution was to be less cranky. It lasted less than 2 minutes.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Subbed. You'll get a kick out of this; Alex said his resolution was to be less cranky. It lasted less than 2 minutes.
2 minutes? You got him to be quiet for 2 minutes?

napalm

napalm

Awards
His daughter is worse. She's built just like him and will be doing nationals with him in May.
Yeah he was telling me about her in Prague. That'll be cool to see...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How does one go about doing that? I feel like old man napalm told me I don't qualify for that competition lol.

I don't know how much I'm even gonna compete this year, I figure probably this January NAS show and TX Strongest in April, and then NAS Nats (if I qualify) but outside of that I figure I'll just train and go into 2015 as a more competitive <231 strongman (I figure I want to weigh 220 by 2015).

napalm

napalm

Awards
You don't have to qualify for the APF nats, it was the first meet I did last year. I hadn't did a meet in 18 months before nats because of shoulder surgery.

Top 3 in each wt/age class at nats qualify for worlds.

I just sent my entry fee, that was it...

napalm

napalm

Awards
Global warming, pfft, come to Michigan right now. We're getting ~foot of snow today, then the temps gonna drop from 30 right now to zero in the morning...

smoker145

Global warming, pfft, come to Michigan right now. We're getting ~foot of snow today, then the temps gonna drop from 30 right now to zero in the morning...
Have you seen manbearpig mr. Gore?

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
We are already at a lvl 3 snow emergency anyone one the road gets a ticket boo so much for having fun

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hell, it's supposed to get cold down here too. Not quite like you guys, but when Houston is supposed to get into the 20s its cold lol....

smoker145

It was 0 at midnight, -2 in the early am the other day. Makes me thankful I'm not in Rhode Island no more.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Hell, it's supposed to get cold down here too. Not quite like you guys, but when Houston is supposed to get into the 20s its cold lol....
If you get an inch of snow it would shut down the city..

napalm

napalm

Awards
Deadlift

Warmup - rolled and mashed everything w the stick. Stretched, more rolling and mashing

Bar x 1k
135x6x3
185x2x5
225x2x3

Work
245x3
275x3
315x3
Singles 335, 350, 360

Assistance
Snatch grip deads (index finger on the rings)
225x5x3

Pendlay's
165x5x3

Thoughts
First day at db, got there there was one other dude there and it was like 30 degrees inside. Fcking cold, like hard to get loose cold. Sure enough, by the time I finished it warmed up. Others dude showed up and were floor pressing w chains, and another crew deadlifted when I finished.

Introduced myself to everyone, JJ brought his dog, wife and 4 yr old. Achilles felt ok as long as I kept it stretched out. I think that'll be the norm going forward. Going tomorrow and do some light squatting. I guess there will be a crew doing back.

Just trying to get to know everyone at this point. Oh yeah, there's a kegerator against the wall...

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Im impressed with the weight u are moving with your injury. hows it been feeling?

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift

Warmup - rolled and mashed everything w the stick. Stretched, more rolling and mashing

Bar x 1k
135x6x3
185x2x5
225x2x3

Work
245x3
275x3
315x3
Singles 335, 350, 360

Assistance
Snatch grip deads (index finger on the rings)
225x5x3

Pendlay's
165x5x3

Thoughts
First day at db, got there there was one other dude there and it was like 30 degrees inside. Fcking cold, like hard to get loose cold. Sure enough, by the time I finished it warmed up. Others dude showed up and were floor pressing w chains, and another crew deadlifted when I finished.

Introduced myself to everyone, JJ brought his dog, wife and 4 yr old. Achilles felt ok as long as I kept it stretched out. I think that'll be the norm going forward. Going tomorrow and do some light squatting. I guess there will be a crew doing back.

Just trying to get to know everyone at this point. Oh yeah, there's a kegerator against the wall...
Solid session man. Deads and rows always for the win. Is this a 5/3/1 setup with joker sets?