Herder's 2014 Log: All About the XPC Semi's

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So as we all know, my goal is 1485 @ 220 on June 7th to qualify for the 2014 XPC Semifinals.

First off, I need to weigh less than 238 by June 1 if I want to have a squat that's going to give me a 1485 total. Unless I find someone that can give me an IV and I do a better job of replenishing in my 24hrs. Training at 240 and competing at 230 es no bueno. I plan on getting IVs and doing a better job of replenishing and resting no matter how much I have to cut. So that means I will be dieting as soon as I'm finished with PCT. Somewhat dieting. Mostly cleaning up my diet and not eating like a fcking pig.

Secondly, I'd like to have some new PRs going into my Cube cycle that will begin the week of March 31. I feel 100% certain I can hit a 550 wrapped squat pretty much any day my legs don't feel like ballz, so expect to see me gun for a 545 and then whatever else I feel I can grab up on Sunday. As for the other two, I feel I've milked my bench for all it has in terms of PRs, getting 340x3, 350x2, and 365x1 in the past month and a half. It's time to reset and get back to building that. Deadlifts, if I'm not on a competition bar, there's no way I'm pulling 550. Hell, the stars aligned for 550 on a comp bar to begin with. That will also get a reset.

March 30 is the big push/pull in Da Burgh that has nice competition equipment. I'll be recycling everything so as to peak for March 30 and set some bench (with sleeves) and deadlift PRs. Squats I'll train without wraps for as much as possible, then go out and hit a biggun in wraps the Friday before the meet. Then I will have exactly ten weeks to run another Cube cycle and bring everything together for a big 1485 day out in Columbus on the 7th.

Let's get in here and will me to victory! (or second or third or fourth or fifth or sixth, hell I don't care as long as I qualify)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hold off on dieting per se until at least 2-3 weeks after PCT is complete. You're still not quite at homeostasis and cutting kcals could be detrimental than beneficial.

smoker145

Hold off on dieting per se until at least 2-3 weeks after PCT is complete. You're still not quite at homeostasis and cutting kcals could be detrimental than beneficial.
Good to know. Thanks rodja.

Herder, **** that 15lb, and just go for 1500 already

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good call. I'm not in a rush, and my diet doesn't even have to get me very lean, or lean at all for that matter. Just closer to weight. I really do think pushing cals as hard as possible is best for meet prep, so a loose goal would be to diet back to 215-220.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

smoker145

Just a curious question, when you gonna aas herder? I know you ph, but was just curious when your gonna take it to the next level

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just a curious question, when you gonna aas herder? I know you ph, but was just curious when your gonna take it to the next level
No sources, bruh. Don't knock DS, you haven't tried them. 6 weeks of Epi=King Kong.

But, I've actually done SD and test, six weeks of each. 10mg SD and 400mg test. My weight went from 216 to 240. When I was 240, I had some pretty bad edema of the hands and feet, so I cranked up my AI and cleaned up my food. Dropped to 232 for my first meet. Benched 360 and could have benched 375-380 on the day. Pulled 525 and could have pulled 545 on the day.

Haven't run my drugs up until meet day since then. That will probably change this time out. SD+Test is astounding, but then I'd have to hit 1530 or 1575 to qualify. There's no way I'd be able to run those and weigh 220 unless I dieted from now until June.

smoker145

Did epi dry you out? And I'm not knocking at all. I just feel test would be a bit safer and more beneficial.

And damn no source. You can buy coke but can't buy test? Wtf is wrong with this world

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did epi dry you out? And I'm not knocking at all. I just feel test would be a bit safer and more beneficial.

And damn no source. You can buy coke but can't buy test? Wtf is wrong with this world
Epi and stano dried me out. Mostly I eat the way you're accustomed to me eating on cycle. Epi + stano took me from like 212 to 222 in late 2012, when I would do heavy singles in the comp lifts with questionable form and then train like a bodybuilder for the rest of the sesh. I was pretty jacked at the time, but my gym total was like 1270.

smoker145

Epi and stano dried me out. Mostly I eat the way you're accustomed to me eating on cycle. Epi + stano took me from like 212 to 222 in late 2012, when I would do heavy singles in the comp lifts with questionable form and then train like a bodybuilder for the rest of the sesh. I was pretty jacked at the time, but my gym total was like 1270.
How much joint discomfort did you experience?
And I'd be vey happy with that total lol

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How much joint discomfort did you experience?
And I'd be vey happy with that total lol
I don't remember, buddy. Nothing worse than you'd experience on arimistane. If I was having discomfort at the time, I'd attribute it to shyt form along with the drier than normal joints. The reason I say I was dry is because I was tight, hard and vascular as fukk.

aceroni

Awards
Subbed. Why don't you wait for a ME squat the day or three after your meet, not the day before?.

Seems like it might hinder your performance at the meet.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
In for this

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for this. 2014 gonna be a big year for all us AM brethren. :)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Why don't you wait for a ME squat the day or three after your meet, not the day before?.

Seems like it might hinder your performance at the meet.
It could. I actually had a ME deadlift day two days before the meet last year. I just know I won't have the motivation to get extremely heavy after my meet is over. It's like that last pull sucks all the desire to go heavy out of me.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those KB swings really killed me in the lower posterior chain. Pulling tomorrow is gonna be rough being this sore.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In for the ride

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subscribed...late.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sumo Pulls Heavy (relatively) today! Tough.

Floor
365x2
385x2
405x2
385x2
415x3

Blocks
455x2 +1 conventional
425x3

Deficit (45lb plate)
315x12 (fück that)
405x5
425x6 PR

SSB GMs
205x3x5

And done. Took too long today. Gonna have to skip the gym for a few weeks, not enough pace to my sessions of late.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You mean the actual gym I assume?

And nice session ma man. Solid work

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
My.. God.. That's so much pulling on thOse deficits. Nice work!

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whole lot of back work for sure.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys. I'm not even close to where I was a couple months ago on sumo. Don't know if I'm out of rhythm or not mobile enough to be in a good position to pull, or weak where I need to be. Conventional pulls were surprisingly stong.

I'm going to keep conventional deficits of 3/4-1.5" in to keep in practice for conventional pulling and hopefully get better off of the floor.

Lats were crushed by all this pulling. Weird. Also, lockout sucked from those KB swings. Might have to keep them in and program them better to have stronger lockout/glutes.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking to buy my own kettlebell for that purpose, good stuff on those pulls man

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lot of pulling there Herd. I was wondering how that much volume was going to treat you and then I saw the 550 for a huge PR.

<--Believer

I'll take notes when programming my next run at conjugate.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys. I'm not even close to where I was a couple months ago on sumo. Don't know if I'm out of rhythm or not mobile enough to be in a good position to pull, or weak where I need to be. Conventional pulls were surprisingly stong.

I'm going to keep conventional deficits of 3/4-1.5" in to keep in practice for conventional pulling and hopefully get better off of the floor.

Lats were crushed by all this pulling. Weird. Also, lockout sucked from those KB swings. Might have to keep them in and program them better to have stronger lockout/glutes.
I may be wrong, but my limited anecdotal evidence suggests that unless the sumo movement is trained with relative consistency, it just goes to shít.

I can walk away from convo for a couple months, come back and be in the area code of my weights when I quit.

Even if mobile enough to pull, if I quit sumo for more than a couple weeks, the poundages straight plummet. So technical, it demands full attention if one commits to that style.

IMHO of course.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I may be wrong, but my limited anecdotal evidence suggests that unless the sumo movement is trained with relative consistency, it just goes to shít. I can walk away from convo for a couple months, come back and be in the area code of my weights when I quit. Even if mobile enough to pull, if I quit sumo for more than a couple weeks, the poundages straight plummet. So technical, it demands full attention if one commits to that style. IMHO of course.
There's also a sizable height difference between both of you skewed in his favor for sumo. That being said, I do agree with you that it is very technical and needs somewhat regular practice with it even if just speed work.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No doubt. When my sumo form is correct, 95% of my sumo 1RM looks like a speed rep. I definitely can't grind with a heavy weight sumo, I don't have the muscle in the right places for it. Yesterday, I could muscle the bar off of the floor, then was in a horrible position to lock out. I'm trying to train what I'm not good at to be more well rounded, and when it gets to meet prep time, get more specific. Not 100% worried about the carryover of my bad lifts, just trying to get better at them.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No doubt. When my sumo form is correct, 95% of my sumo 1RM looks like a speed rep. I definitely can't grind with a heavy weight sumo, I don't have the muscle in the right places for it. Yesterday, I could muscle the bar off of the floor, then was in a horrible position to lock out. I'm trying to train what I'm not good at to be more well rounded, and when it gets to meet prep time, get more specific. Not 100% worried about the carryover of my bad lifts, just trying to get better at them.
I suck at conventional and that's why I'm doing them now (well, once I get fully healthy again). Kinda ironic that I hurt myself on sumo considering how natural of a movement it is for me.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pressing Day

Press
135x5
155x5
185x3 well damn
155x8
135x10 +3 push press

Delts=nuked

DB Incline (45 degree)
100x3x8 left maybe 1 rep in the tank on the first two sets, no reps in the tank on set 3.

Pin Press
275x3
245x6
250x5

Definitely harder to do pin presses with the bar 1" off of the chest as opposed to how I did them last cycle, which was with the bar sunken into my chest. I have very limited pin selection at the shed, so I just went with it. For the next 6 months, I will do whatever I have to do (I'm thinking deadlift mats under the bench) to make my pin presses 1"off the chest. Also focusing on keeping the elbows in for all reps until I can't. I must get more push off of my chest with the elbows in or I'll never be able to get a new max off of my chest to get it thrown back toward my head where I'm strong.

JM Press
135x3x8

Pull ups
BWx3x8
BWx5,3

3D Pullaparts
3x10

Delt Raises

Done. Good-ish day. Doing OHP before inclines is a real challenge, I might do inclines first and then OHP on my second pressing day in the future to train where I need the work before I train where I'm already adequate in my bench press. Having a good amount of time before my next meet really opens the door to experimentation, which I love.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Double post.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rep Squats

SSB Squats
315x3x8

Fück that. Tried to work my stance wider, but I wasn't hitting depth. Brutal to do without a belt or wraps and In my "wrong" shoes.

SSB Front Squats
265x2x8

Weird, yet nice on the old shouldies.

SSB Pause Squats (2s)
265x2x3

Toe Elevated SSB Spud Suspended GMs
175x4x5

Pull ups (3 grips, easier grip as I went)
BWx 6,3, 8,5, 8,3

BSS
3x8

KB Swings
70x3x20

Annihilated. One of the hardest sessions I've had in awhile. Had to be talked into the third set of 8 on squats.