Herder's 2014 Log: All About the XPC Semi's - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Herder's 2014 Log: All About the XPC Semi's

Page 2 of 51 First 12347 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm not even close to where I was a couple months ago on sumo. Don't know if I'm out of rhythm or not mobile enough to be in a good position to pull, or weak where I need to be. Conventional pulls were surprisingly stong.

I'm going to keep conventional deficits of 3/4-1.5" in to keep in practice for conventional pulling and hopefully get better off of the floor.

Lats were crushed by all this pulling. Weird. Also, lockout sucked from those KB swings. Might have to keep them in and program them better to have stronger lockout/glutes.
    I may be wrong, but my limited anecdotal evidence suggests that unless the sumo movement is trained with relative consistency, it just goes to shít.

I can walk away from convo for a couple months, come back and be in the area code of my weights when I quit.

Even if mobile enough to pull, if I quit sumo for more than a couple weeks, the poundages straight plummet. So technical, it demands full attention if one commits to that style.

IMHO of course.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I may be wrong, but my limited anecdotal evidence suggests that unless the sumo movement is trained with relative consistency, it just goes to shít. I can walk away from convo for a couple months, come back and be in the area code of my weights when I quit. Even if mobile enough to pull, if I quit sumo for more than a couple weeks, the poundages straight plummet. So technical, it demands full attention if one commits to that style. IMHO of course.
    There's also a sizable height difference between both of you skewed in his favor for sumo. That being said, I do agree with you that it is very technical and needs somewhat regular practice with it even if just speed work.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

No doubt. When my sumo form is correct, 95% of my sumo 1RM looks like a speed rep. I definitely can't grind with a heavy weight sumo, I don't have the muscle in the right places for it. Yesterday, I could muscle the bar off of the floor, then was in a horrible position to lock out. I'm trying to train what I'm not good at to be more well rounded, and when it gets to meet prep time, get more specific. Not 100% worried about the carryover of my bad lifts, just trying to get better at them.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

No doubt. When my sumo form is correct, 95% of my sumo 1RM looks like a speed rep. I definitely can't grind with a heavy weight sumo, I don't have the muscle in the right places for it. Yesterday, I could muscle the bar off of the floor, then was in a horrible position to lock out. I'm trying to train what I'm not good at to be more well rounded, and when it gets to meet prep time, get more specific. Not 100% worried about the carryover of my bad lifts, just trying to get better at them.
    I suck at conventional and that's why I'm doing them now (well, once I get fully healthy again). Kinda ironic that I hurt myself on sumo considering how natural of a movement it is for me.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Pressing Day

Press
    135x5
    155x5
    185x3 well damn
    155x8
    135x10 +3 push press

Delts=nuked

DB Incline (45 degree)
    100x3x8 left maybe 1 rep in the tank on the first two sets, no reps in the tank on set 3.

Pin Press
    275x3
    245x6
    250x5

Definitely harder to do pin presses with the bar 1" off of the chest as opposed to how I did them last cycle, which was with the bar sunken into my chest. I have very limited pin selection at the shed, so I just went with it. For the next 6 months, I will do whatever I have to do (I'm thinking deadlift mats under the bench) to make my pin presses 1"off the chest. Also focusing on keeping the elbows in for all reps until I can't. I must get more push off of my chest with the elbows in or I'll never be able to get a new max off of my chest to get it thrown back toward my head where I'm strong.

JM Press
    135x3x8

Pull ups
    BWx3x8
    BWx5,3

3D Pullaparts
    3x10

Delt Raises

Done. Good-ish day. Doing OHP before inclines is a real challenge, I might do inclines first and then OHP on my second pressing day in the future to train where I need the work before I train where I'm already adequate in my bench press. Having a good amount of time before my next meet really opens the door to experimentation, which I love.
    Training log:
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

late...
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Double post.
    Training log:
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Rep Squats

SSB Squats
    315x3x8

Fück that. Tried to work my stance wider, but I wasn't hitting depth. Brutal to do without a belt or wraps and In my "wrong" shoes.

SSB Front Squats
    265x2x8

Weird, yet nice on the old shouldies.

SSB Pause Squats (2s)
    265x2x3

Toe Elevated SSB Spud Suspended GMs
    175x4x5

Pull ups (3 grips, easier grip as I went)
    BWx 6,3, 8,5, 8,3

BSS
    3x8

KB Swings
    70x3x20

Annihilated. One of the hardest sessions I've had in awhile. Had to be talked into the third set of 8 on squats.
    Training log:
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Brutal! I love that ****.

SSB Front Squat?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  10. smoker145

Why didn't you just take off your shoes?
  11. smoker145

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Brutal! I love that ****. SSB Front Squat?
    Mind is boggled
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Brutal! I love that ****.

SSB Front Squat?
    Jack up the handles toward you and do fronts with the ssb. Doesn't hurt to hold it in the rack, though it doesn't throw you forward as far.
    Training log:
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smoker145 View Post
    Why didn't you just take off your shoes?
    How much do you know about the role of hip torque in the squat?
    Training log:
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Jack up the handles toward you and do fronts with the ssb. Doesn't hurt to hold it in the rack, though it doesn't throw you forward as far.
    Nice. That'll be good on my ol AC joint.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  15. smoker145

How much do you know about the role of hip torque in the squat?
    Unaware
  16. smoker145

So it's not good to squat shoeless? I don't wear shoes for squats or deads sometimes
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

So it's not good to squat shoeless? I don't wear shoes for squats or deads sometimes
    It's fine depending on your leverages and ankle/hip mobility.

But if you're a heeled squatter, it's hard going flat footed and hitting the same depth and form.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com
    All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Deads are fine, but squat is completely subjective.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. smoker145

Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    It's fine depending on your leverages and ankle/hip mobility. But if you're a heeled squatter, it's hard going flat footed and hitting the same depth and form.
    Oh ok. Thanks nomz
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.

All caught up

Im here
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Unaware
    I really focus on spreading the floor and torquing my feet. I'd imagine you COULD do that shoeless, but I would not. Chucks vs shoeless, they're pretty much the same to me anyway. Now, if I could get myself to spread the floor in my O shoes, we'd be g2g.
    Training log:
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Oh, I walked in today to see a bench rigged up with 315 and minibands. Of course, I thought "That's odd..." and kept on going about my day. After one of my sets I looked over and this guy ripped off twenty reps on the bench with 315 sans bands. BSing with him while he was loosening his shoulders post-sesh, it turns out he drives out to Westside once or twice a month to train. Dude looked like a bear. Didn't catch his name, though.

Also, I'm still trying to get the blood out of my lower back. Videos in a few.
    Training log:
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Here's the video. My form was all over the place today. Not something I like to see.

Training log:
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Here's the video. My form was all over the place today. Not something I like to see. YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8i2WahvQw&edit=vd
    It looked like the harder you yanked down on the handles, the better the rep was.

Solid work herder, those looked like a grind...
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Hey man, squats look good. Just looks like they were challenging(duh) and took a lot of PC activation on the way up. Same **** happens to me...especially beltless.

I think SSB GMs are brutal
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

The SSB might be the best specialty bar ever.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  27. smoker145

Swiss?
  28. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Swiss?
    Not better.

Even though you have a major woody for it.
  29. smoker145

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Not better. Even though you have a major woody for it.

Name:  image-2818585963.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  168.8 KB
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

Nice squats man! Form looked good.. I still have yet to use the SSB at my gym, I've actually never even seen it in action, might have to knock the dust off it one day.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

This is fact
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Well done bro. A lot of reppin' you got goin there.
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    It looked like the harder you yanked down on the handles, the better the rep was.

Solid work herder, those looked like a grind...
    Yeah, I'm still not sure how I want to work those handles, the thing kicks my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    Nice squats man! Form looked good.. I still have yet to use the SSB at my gym, I've actually never even seen it in action, might have to knock the dust off it one day.
    Thanks, get under that thing as soon as possible! Today, I'm sore in my legs, hips, glutes, my upper abs, and my lower traps are ON FIRE.
    Training log:
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

ME Bench

Was thinking either shirt up, or hit a 2-board PR. Either way a PR was required. Elbows felt majestic and the sleeves were working, so I just kept going up. Little brother joined the 300lb club today, then got squished with three plates.

275x3
    315x1
    345x1
    370x1 PR
    385x0 barely missed it. Stuck a little off of my chest, 380 would have gone.
    add 2-board
    405x0 nothing left in the rear delts/upper back. Lats were g2g, rear delts were not.

Lilly Bench with Grip4orce (no sleeves)
    275x8

A good, tight pair of elbow sleeves will supposedly give 5-10lbs carryover. These will give me more simply because they cause me to descend at a normal pace and give me the strongest natural groove, as opposed to the pain-free groove. I'm amazed at how I felt. Best I've felt in a long while.

DB Incline
    80x21,16,14 for a total of 51. I get to move up to 85-90! Yay!

Rear Delt Destroyer x2

Facepull/Pullapart x5

Vogelpohl Rows

DB External Rotations 20lbs x 8. These need to be 35x3x8. Will be working on them.

Moved my grip back out to ring finger on the ring. Elbows felt great, shoulders felt great. Glad I PRed again and gave myself some new numbers to work off of. I swear, I'm going to get back to an actual program next week. But not later this week, because I will be benching in a properly sized shirt on Saturday with a few guys with shirt experience. So that'll be exciting.

Going to start doing WIDE grip pullups chest to bar, facepulls, and pullaparts to get this upper back thing sorted out. Possibly change my lat pulldowns to come to my clavicles with a wide grip instead of the V-bar to the sternum. Excellent day, though.
    Training log:
  35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Nice!!!!!!!! You're pulling a Torobestia with these constant bench PRs.

Do you have a good link for Vogelpgol rows?

And give that Cressey RC routine a go for those rotators.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Nice!!!!!!!! You're pulling a Torobestia with these constant bench PRs.

Do you have a good link for Vogelpgol rows?

And give that Cressey RC routine a go for those rotators.
    Good call, and when I read Vogelpohl rows in the Cube book, I never found them on the internet, so I just did high pulley rows out the ass, but here is where I first found them:

Training log:
  37. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Aren't those just straight arm pulldowns with a band?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Yeah, that's all. I did them with the cable. They hit the armpit area of the lats pretty good, the same part that gets sore when I do a lot of handoffs and Lilly benching.

Speaking of which, I also did a set of Grip4orce Lilly benches at 275x8 after all my benching. That was also hard on the upper back.
    Training log:
  39. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I think you have to do that while deadlifting and SSBing at the same time for it to be Vogelphied
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  40. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Jon Anderson's Deep Water Training:

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/...-power-cleans/

Sounds fun!
    Training log:
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. All about the new steroid laws by Rick Collins
    By Patrick Arnold in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 12:22 AM
  2. It's not all about the bodybuilding...
    By Royd The Noyd in forum Advanced Muscle Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM
  3. the ALL about Toremifene thread
    By BigPHusers11 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 06:43 PM
  4. All about insulin
    By Bone in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 08:58 PM
  5. All about IGF-1 From Meso