10 year layoff....need help

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  248 lbs.

10 year layoff....need help

Quick stats ...height 5'11 weight 248.

I don't have access to a gym so I've concocted a gym in my garage. I haven't worked out consistently for about 10years. I'm in horrible shape but I'm looking to get healthy again. Long story short, I see so many exercise programs on this forum and online in general, I think I have an "information overload" for lack of a better term.

I know for sure I need to strengthen my back because my lower back has been hurting horribly after 15-20 min of lifting. My goal is to get down to 200-225 while putting on some decent good quality mass.

My problem is that I have a few challenges......

No squat rack or bench rack so I'm looking for substitutes....I have a box flex as well as free weights. Long story short, I'm just looking for help constructing a workout program. I'd be greatly appreciative for any help,

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

No racks but do you own a barbell?

Monday-Lower
    Deadlift
    Stiff Legged deadlift
    Lunge variation

Wednesday-Upper
    Horizontal Row (dumbell, barbell, Pendlay)
    Dumbell bench press
    Triceps/Rear delt movement

Thursday-Lower
    Barbell/dumbell stepups
    Deadlift variation
    Lunge

Kinda sucks you don't have a rack...but there are still ways to work. Just hit each exercise for 4-6 sets at whatever rep range you want.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Oh ya, Day 4

Saturday-Upper
    Dumbell/barbell military press or overhead variant
    Pull-ups/chin-ups
    Bi's/rear delt
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  248 lbs.

I bought a 300 lb set that came with weights and a 7ft bar. I also bought a ex bar and a hex bar.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Nice. You could implement the hex bar on that second lower day.

You don't hafta follow the exercises exactly how I wrote, but upper/lower "splits" work well. Think in planes of movement: If I bench press, I'll row-if I overhead press, I'll also do pull-ups

Elite FTS has a good exercise index, along with Eric Cressy's YouTube page. He's a fan of using the hex bar and may have a bit more on that.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  248 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Nice. You could implement the hex bar on that second lower day.

You don't hafta follow the exercises exactly how I wrote, but upper/lower "splits" work well. Think in planes of movement: If I bench press, I'll row-if I overhead press, I'll also do pull-ups

Elite FTS has a good exercise index, along with Eric Cressy's YouTube page. He's a fan of using the hex bar and may have a bit more on that.
    I appreciate you taking the time to help! Any ideas on back strengthening exercises to help my back pain issue?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Carcitybeast View Post
    I appreciate you taking the time to help! Any ideas on back strengthening exercises to help my back pain issue?
    Well, I don't know what pain you have so I'm afraid to give for sure answers when I'm just a dude online that looks stuff up on YouTube. If it's serious, see a doc.

If it's just a dull lumbar pain while you're lifting, it could be from tight glutes/lower back and most likely incorrect abdominal bracing. You should be lifting with a braced neutral spine and diaphragmatic breathing. Search "Chris Duffin breathing" and he will explain that. If you breath and utilize your core wrong, you will overextend your back and that will cause some lumbar discomfort.

Good mornings, and deadlift variations will most definetly build up strength in your posterior chain
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Eric Cressey, Kelly Starrett and Donnie Thompson all have prehab/rehabilitative exercises on their YouTube channels, some of it touching on back pain. They'll touch on pelvic tilt/overextended thoracic spine. Anyways, that's my personal experience with lower back pain

If I have you too much info, just pay attention to: Braced neutral spine, good mornings, deadlifts. Done!
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  248 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Well, I don't know what pain you have so I'm afraid to give for sure answers when I'm just a dude online that looks stuff up on YouTube. If it's serious, see a doc.

If it's just a dull lumbar pain while you're lifting, it could be from tight glutes/lower back and most likely incorrect abdominal bracing. You should be lifting with a braced neutral spine and diaphragmatic breathing. Search "Chris Duffin breathing" and he will explain that. If you breath and utilize your core wrong, you will overextend your back and that will cause some lumbar discomfort.

Good mornings, and deadlift variations will most definetly build up strength in your posterior chain
    My doctor said it wasn't anything serious just to take a week off....which I did....started back tonight and within 15 min PAIN! Felt like a super tightness so I'll google making my posterior chain looser and stronger.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

My doctor said it wasn't anything serious just to take a week off....which I did....started back tonight and within 15 min PAIN! Felt like a super tightness so I'll google making my posterior chain looser and stronger.
    http://www.athletestreatingathletes....atment-system/

Click on the self muscle massage part.

What were you doing that caused the back pain? should have asked that first.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  248 lbs.

Moderate weight ez bar curls.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  158 lbs.

Moderate weight ez bar curls.
    Older lifter here. I find that EZ bar curls can put pressure on the back muscles. You are just getting back into lifting so your back muscles are more subject to strain. I suggest lowering the weight and progressing "slowly" with all weight. This is a marathon and not a sprint. Also, cardio and diet need to be added. Track all food intake using any one of the smartphone apps or on paper.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. TRT for 19 Year Old. Need Help!
    By MetalMX in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 06:00 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 10:07 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 08:18 PM
  5. Wardog needs help with a 10 year old!
    By wardog in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 05:40 PM