Wasme's recomp journey....

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The time has come to start a new log. Something long term, yet with some short term goals thrown in the mix. I have found it a great way to track things and above all make me accountable for my workouts and nutrition.

I am 43 years old, 5’11 and currently sitting at 220lbs. I feel I have come a long way in the last 6-7 years and happily this journey never has to end. Like many of us on here, I do have a busy life with a career/family (somewhat large) and so on, but I try my hardest to make this lifestyle a priority - a healthy obsession.

I have just completed 8 weeks of German Volume Training which was challenging, fun and at times very humbling. Previous to GVT, I pushed through a stint of Power/Hypertrophy and many runs of my all-time favorite, FST-7.

My journey will now head in a new direction as I enter the world of Meadows Training. So pull up a chair, enjoy your post-workout meal and let's get it done…

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
In!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Farthest from Canada!

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
In...

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm here for my fellow Freak!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm in.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Firrrsssttt!
Sorry, I'm all outta prizes! Thanks bro..

Welcome my fellow Canadian!

I'm in as well
Right on, thanks Bean!

Farthest from Canada!
I ran in 1.4F weather this morning, worked out in a cold fn garage - wanna trade spots? welcome bro.

East coast! Welcome man.

I'm here for my fellow Freak!
..and this is the goal at the end of this journey!

There he is, thanks Breezy. First MD workout in the books, all I can say is wow. (and the bands rock)

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/14/2014

This morning started like most others, just freezing cold and in blowing snow. Time to break out the winter running gear I suppose.

- 5km fasted upon rising, with some BCAA+SAA.

Once home downed some Stimul8 and waiting for the 'fuzzies'.

Mountain Training - Program 3
Week 1 - Phase 1 - Legs

Barbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts
110x8
140x8
160x8
180x6
180x6
180x6

- 3 warmup, 3 work sets
- continuous tension, no lockout
- the last set of these was very tough, especially not locking out for a second or two rest

Banded Smith Machine Squats
155x8
175x8
195x8
205x8
205x8
205x8

- 3 warmup, 3 work sets
- bands gave more resistance than I expected
- tried to lower slowly, with a explosive push

Hack Squat - perform this with a smith machine and a angled patio stone. Not exactly a hack machine but does in a pinch.
165x6
185x6
195x8
195x8 drop 165x8 drop 135x8

- 2 warmup sets, 2 work sets (2nd with 2 drops)
- paused at the bottom for work sets
- the drop set was absolutely gruelling...135 felt like 335

Step Ups - Plates in hands
25x10L/25x10R
35x10L/35x10R

- the level of sweat by this point was crazy.

Lying Leg Curls
60x25
70x23

- probably should not have increased the weight here as 24/25 were definitely partials, therefore did not count them.

Thoughts: First day of MD training was awesome. Albeit hard, it was actually fun and at the other end of the spectrum from GVT.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you band a smith machine?

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here buddy

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/15/2014

Well after another long night at a neigbourhood party (home at 320am, but no crown this time and just 2-3 pints) crawled out of bed around 1030, dosed 10g of BCAA+SAA and was out the door for a run. We had a pretty decent snow fall all day yesterday and the park had not be plowed out yet. So ran through the snow which really showed how sore my legs were from yesterday's session. 5km in the snow, was tough - great resistance.

Dosed up some Stimul8 and off to the garage.

Week 1 - Phase 1 - Chest and Shoulders

- Rest between sets was 30 seconds unless noted differently

Dumbbell Hammer Incline Press
40x10
50x10
55x10
60x9 (fail to 12 so started over)
55x12
55x10
55x8
55x6

- 3 warmup sets
- 4 work sets, deep for a good stretch
- as mentioned I tried to go 60's for 12, and could not get it today. So dropped back to 55's and did the 12/10/8/6

Slight Incline Dumbbell Press
55x6
60x6
70x8
70x6

- 2 warmup sets
- 2 work sets, 2nd set did not make it to 8
- 25lb plate under front of bench to provide a slight incline

Bench Press
165x15
165x13

- no pause, no lockout, bar just touching chest and back up
- found these gruelling at a light weight. Set 1 was a complete struggle and set 2 I couldn't make the 15

Stretch Pushups

- Elevated hands and feet 6 inches from floor
- After the previous exercises I was already burnt and feeling pain
- Crazy pump and soreness in chest after completing these.

Heavy Side Laterals
30x8
30x8
30x8
30x8

- slight lean to engage rear delts, and slight swing to get the weight up
- probably could have gone a little heavier, but first time trying them.

Bent Over Rear Delt Raises
15x30
15x25
15x20
15x15

- 2 min rest between sets
- found this gruelling

Ultra Wide Overhead Barbell Presses
45x12
55x12
55x12

- Knowing Meadows does these with 70-80 lbs, I was humbled by just using the bar, and then adding 10lbs.
- Lower to touch top of chest, raise to top of head

Day 2 of MD, proved to be as hard as the first, but again I really enjoyed it. I really like how the program is layed out, almost like John is sitting there beside you giving you instructions. The workout feels more 'involved' and engaging this way.

Rest day tomorrow. I did mess around in the garage after to set up for meadows rows and I do think I can make that work without buying a landmine floor attachment for the olympic bar.

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great workout Simon. I am looking forward to giving this a go in the near future.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great workout Simon. I am looking forward to giving this a go in the near future.
Thanks Andrew. It has only been two workouts, but I can already see why the guys all enjoy MD training so much.

Sounds... Grueling; to steal your word.

Pfft. Ours are bolted down.

Here, here.
Oh it was Thomas...

Ah the beauty of it being mine and in my garage. I am wondering though if using them in really cold weather could damage them....? Anyone ?

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh sweet bro!! Been away from cp a little but def in this ride! I know this will be epic as always!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am wondering though if using them in really cold weather could damage them....? Anyone ?
The bands? I don't see why it would. I'd be more concerned if they were left out in the heat than in the cold.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh sweet bro!! Been away from cp a little but def in this ride! I know this will be epic as always!
Hey Pack, good to have you brother. Things good?

The bands? I don't see why it would. I'd be more concerned if they were left out in the heat than in the cold.
Ya figure I will keep them inside for the most part and take them out when need be. I am actually still trying to figure out which bands are for what. As my color scheme received does not match the ones online...

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya figure I will keep them inside for the most part and take them out when need be. I am actually still trying to figure out which bands are for what. As my color scheme received does not match the ones online...
Did you get the pink and fuscia set?

I kid. There wasn't a tension list or something that came with them?

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did you get the pink and fuscia set?

I kid. There wasn't a tension list or something that came with them?
I think I was able to match them up..

My pack has:
1x2 short pink
1x2 longer pink
1x2 long green
1x2 thick orange
1x2 thin long orange

bands.jpg

I am under the impression from the picture that:
-both sets of Orange are the same
-green is the same as the pink
-the 2 sets of pink are the same as the black

The invoice says they sent the MD training pack so I am confident they did send the right thing.

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes sir bud. I took a month and did some cardio and hit the weights back up yesterday and today. Amazed myself on chest lol.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/16/2013

Rest Day.

Pretty solid DOMS in my upper chest too.

Tomorrow is Back (and probably calves. I have a been doing a bit of abs every other day) + a run (hopefully the temperature rises a little).

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am in and I think you may have stretched them more than usual so the tension must have gotten SICK! Perhaps on the smith you could put the bands around the lower safety catch or buy a cheap D Link and attach it to the machine in a moderately low position. You were definitely stretching them bitches farther than on a leg press and most of the times on a squat I see them around the safety pins. Then again I could be completely wrong but that just sound right. I am almost never completely wrong, only partially... LMAO!!!

As far as messing them up I would store them in your house and take them out when you go outside to work out when cold. Not saying they will break but you are right they will be more brittle if in an extremely cold state. That being said if kept inside I don't see any problems at all.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am in and I think you may have stretched them more than usual so the tension must have gotten SICK! Perhaps on the smith you could put the bands around the lower safety catch or buy a cheap D Link and attach it to the machine in a moderately low position. You were definitely stretching them bitches farther than on a leg press and most of the times on a squat I see them around the safety pins. Then again I could be completely wrong but that just sound right. I am almost never completely wrong, only partially... LMAO!!!

As far as messing them up I would store them in your house and take them out when you go outside to work out when cold. Not saying they will break but you are right they will be more brittle if in an extremely cold state. That being said if kept inside I don't see any problems at all.
Thanks Chris. They were really stretched and I found it way harder than I anticipated. However, maybe it is just crazy hard anyway lol. Next time I will try either putting them around the safety.

Glad to have another MD expert in here...

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Very good session Simon. Following it to a T bud. I'm pretty sure we will have another MD addict after this run :)

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very good session Simon. Following it to a T bud. I'm pretty sure we will have another MD addict after this run :)
Gotta admit, so far I am impressed. Excited to get home after work and try MD back day. Seems to have revitalized me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh man you are gonna love MD Back Day. For the stretchers I recommend really leaning forward and dipping your body down into the stretch it really makes a difference. I am sure you watched the video if not make sure you do and subscribe to his youtube channel Mountaindog1

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh man you are gonna love MD Back Day. For the stretchers I recommend really leaning forward and dipping your body down into the stretch it really makes a difference. I am sure you watched the video if not make sure you do and subscribe to his youtube channel Mountaindog1
I am sub'd to his channel. Actually been using stretchers in the past after seeing Breezy do them. I love them. I can imagine with the lead up exercises they will be killer later on!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am sub'd to his channel. Actually been using stretchers in the past after seeing Breezy do them. I love them. I can imagine with the lead up exercises they will be killer later on!
Absolutely and you will love the Meadows Rows if you haven't already tried them.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Absolutely and you will love the Meadows Rows if you haven't already tried them.
No never have.. cleared some space in the garage so i have a corner to put the bar in... looking forward to trying them.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No never have.. cleared some space in the garage so i have a corner to put the bar in... looking forward to trying them.
Make sure to tilt you're body away from the hand you are using.....so if your are rowing with the right side you're left foot will be forward, right back. Left forearm on your quad then tilt to the left and put your elbow on the inside of your quad.....that video I posted showed me doing that while I faced the camera. I'm too upright so be a little more bent over and lower the weight as far down add you can to stretch the lat. Flex the lat to pull the weight up.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make sure to tilt you're body away from the hand you are using.....so if your are rowing with the right side you're left foot will be forward, right back. Left forearm on your quad then tilt to the left and put your elbow on the inside of your quad.....that video I posted showed me doing that while I faced the camera. I'm too upright so be a little more bent over and lower the weight as far down add you can to stretch the lat. Flex the lat to pull the weight up.
Thanks for the advice, did just that. I totally underestimated these.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/17/2013

Got home from work and was not going to run today, but it was milder so thought I should. Started CreaTrona today. Max Pump will make its return on the weekend.

Warmup: 5km with BCAA+SAA dosed prior.

Stimul8 taken 10 minutes prior to my weights session

Week 1 - Phase 1 - Back and Calves

Dumbbell Rows
65x8
75x8
85x8
85x8
85x8

- 2 warmups, 3 worksets, really good stretch at the bottom

Meadows Rows
70x10
80x10
95x10
95x10
95x10

- doesn't include bar weight
- as mentioned I underestimated these. Incredibly effective and weight felt really heavy.

Deadlift - work up to a tough 3 rep set then do a set of 10 with 10 seconds rest between each rep.
225x3
245x3
255x3
265x10

- as mentioned previously, these make me nervous as I tend to tweak my back (had surgery on L4/L5 @ age 21)
- kept weight to where I felt my form stayed really good

Stretchers
140x10
140x10
150x10

- 3 to 5 second stretch on each rep

Standing Calf Raises
160x15
170x15
180x15
180x15
180x15
180x15

- flex at the top, stretch at the bottom

I must say this workout I found brutal. My back is fried. Not in a hurt it way, but DOMS are already setting in only 2 hours post workout.

Arms up tomorrow.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Sub'd

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
12/17/2013 Got home from work and was not going to run today, but it was milder so thought I should. Started CreaTrona today. Max Pump will make its return on the weekend. Warmup: 5km with BCAA+SAA dosed prior. Stimul8 taken 10 minutes prior to my weights session Mountain Training - Program 3 Week 1 - Phase 1 - Back and Calves Dumbbell Rows 65x8 75x8 85x8 85x8 85x8 - 2 warmups, 3 worksets, really good stretch at the bottom Meadows Rows 70x10 80x10 95x10 95x10 95x10 - doesn't include bar weight - as mentioned I underestimated these. Incredibly effective and weight felt really heavy. Deadlift - work up to a tough 3 rep set then do a set of 10 with 10 seconds rest between each rep. 225x3 245x3 255x3 265x10 - as mentioned previously, these make me nervous as I tend to tweak my back (had surgery on L4/L5 @ age 21) - kept weight to where I felt my form stayed really good Stretchers 140x10 140x10 150x10 - 3 to 5 second stretch on each rep Standing Calf Raises 160x15 170x15 180x15 180x15 180x15 180x15 - flex at the top, stretch at the bottom I must say this workout I found brutal. My back is fried. Not in a hurt it way, but DOMS are already setting in only 2 hours post workout. Arms up tomorrow.
Very nice session bud.

Good job checking the ego and maintaining form with deads. No one becomes a freak when they're hurt :)

My back day will be the same as yours thurs:)

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Simon smashing it out!! Great job brotha!

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Id trade my lil calves for a lil bit of your back strength! Wicked back attack brother. That's one thing I lack for sure.

12/17/2013

Got home from work and was not going to run today, but it was milder so thought I should. Started CreaTrona today. Max Pump will make its return on the weekend.

Warmup: 5km with BCAA+SAA dosed prior.

Stimul8 taken 10 minutes prior to my weights session

Week 1 - Phase 1 - Back and Calves

Dumbbell Rows
65x8
75x8
85x8
85x8
85x8

- 2 warmups, 3 worksets, really good stretch at the bottom

Meadows Rows
70x10
80x10
95x10
95x10
95x10

- doesn't include bar weight
- as mentioned I underestimated these. Incredibly effective and weight felt really heavy.

Deadlift - work up to a tough 3 rep set then do a set of 10 with 10 seconds rest between each rep.
225x3
245x3
255x3
265x10

- as mentioned previously, these make me nervous as I tend to tweak my back (had surgery on L4/L5 @ age 21)
- kept weight to where I felt my form stayed really good

Stretchers
140x10
140x10
150x10

- 3 to 5 second stretch on each rep

Standing Calf Raises
160x15
170x15
180x15
180x15
180x15
180x15

- flex at the top, stretch at the bottom

I must say this workout I found brutal. My back is fried. Not in a hurt it way, but DOMS are already setting in only 2 hours post workout.

Arms up tomorrow.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very nice session bud.

Good job checking the ego and maintaining form with deads. No one becomes a freak when they're hurt :)

My back day will be the same as yours thurs:)

Thanks man. Was being cautious but not overly. The last few pulls were pretty difficult. The MD style seems to just wear you down. I know stretchers have never felt like that before, which I would attribute to the work done prior.

Nice!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Workouts look solid wasme. It's great that the Meadows Rows felt effective, right from the start. It can take a few sessions to fine-tune your stance/positioning with them.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Workouts look solid wasme. It's great that the Meadows Rows felt effective, right from the start. It can take a few sessions to fine-tune your stance/positioning with them.
Thanks Breezy. Yes, I am definitely looking forward to doing them again. And perfecting the form. DOMs in my back today are worse than I can remember for the last 6 months or so.

Back on the second page I mentioned about the color scheme of my band set - any idea if I am matching them up correctly?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Breezy. Yes, I am definitely looking forward to doing them again. And perfecting the form. DOMs in my back today are worse than I can remember for the last 6 months or so.

Back on the second page I mentioned about the color scheme of my band set - any idea if I am matching them up correctly?
Yeah, DOMS will probably be pretty intense at first. Introducing some new exercises/techniques could take some getting used to.

The band pack should include the following:

-2 Pro Monster Mini bands
-2 Pro Mini bands
-2 Pro Micro bands
-2 Pro Light bands
-2 Pro Short Mini bands

You could try matching up everything that you have (individually) on ELiteFTS.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=495

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, DOMS will probably be pretty intense at first. Introducing some new exercises/techniques could take some getting used to.

The band pack should include the following:

-2 Pro Monster Mini bands
-2 Pro Mini bands
-2 Pro Micro bands
-2 Pro Light bands
-2 Pro Short Mini bands

You could try matching up everything that you have (individually) on ELiteFTS.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=495
I did recieve all that, just not the same colors as the advertised pack. I will check out the individual items though to know what's what. Thanks man

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did recieve all that, just not the same colors as the advertised pack. I will check out the individual items though to know what's what. Thanks man
No problem. Yeah, the website should help clear things up. The Pro Monster Minis are green when looking at the individual bands for sale. The Pro Mini and Short Pro Mini are both pink. The Pro Light and Pro Micro are orange.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you crushed the workout man!