Jim's Training to Become a Human Tank!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Starting a new log, as the old one was a bit outdated.

This will be where I log all of my journey to becoming a SHW Professional Strongman (putting that in writing so I can't deny saying it), no excuses, no bull****. Just a guy eating a ton of food and working as hard as (in)humanly possible to achieve a set of goals.

For those that don't know, I've competed in 2 APF meets once as an Open Raw 198 with a total of 1055 @ 186 and another as a Junior Raw 198 with a total of 1057 @ 192. The numbers for those meets were 402/251/402 and 402/231/424, respectively. I was extremely disappointed with the showing at my second meet, but now, I'm on to bigger and better things. There is no excuse for it, I just wasn't strong enough to achieve a larger total on that day.

At this point I have done 1 NAS competition, earning a 3rd place in the Lightweight (sub 200) class. I plan to start 2014 off with a competition at Metroflex Houston on January 25 and then following it with TX Strongest Man in March. I fully intend to compete as a Middleweight in both of these competitions, I am not 100% on whether or not I will compete in the APF Junior Nationals in May, but that is a possibility as well (there is supposed to be a NAS competition that month as well).

Training:

I use a conjugate rotation of intensities and movements to get stronger with a variety of movements and implements. Currently it will look like this:

Max DL, Conditioning, Rep OHP, Dynamic Squat, Speed/Rest, Body, Rest
Rep DL, Conditioning, Dynamic OHP, Max Squat, Speed/Rest, Body, Rest
Dynamic DL, Conditioning, Max OHP, Rep Squat, Speed/Rest, Body, Rest

Squat and Deadlift day do not always involve squatting or deadlifting (wut?), some squat days may involve Yoke walks for distance, truck pulls, or various carries (front carries, keg carries, farmers, etc.) and deadlifts could involve stones, kegs, farmers, etc., OHP may be BB, DB, or Implement. Body days will always have some form of bench press (incline, DB, CG, etc.), some sort of calf work, Bicep work, Rowing volume, and whatever other weaknesses need to be addressed.

Every 10 week training cycle will include up to 2 deload weeks as necessary, sometimes less, never more.

Nutrition:

I eat a lot of protein, a lot of carbs, and a lot of fats. I will drink anywhere from 1/2 gallon to a whole gallon of whole milk everyday, and have recently considered just mixing my protein into that gallon and drinking it throughout the day instead of having specific protein shakes. I stay away from processed foods and sweets as much as possible, most of what I eat are various meats (beef, chicken, fish), eggs (always whole), Rice, Potatoes (sweet and regular). I don't typically eat breads, but I don't avoid them if they are something I want that particular day.

So there it is, let's get this started!

Last edited:
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Post meet week:

Dynamic Deadlifts:

205 x 2 x 5

30 second rest between sets.

a1. CG Pull-up: BW x 8 x 2
a2. Low Facepull: Black Bands x 12 x 2

That was it, I posted in my old log today that I think the fuel pump in my truck went out, but luckily it may just be a clogged filter (that's what I think it is, after thinking about how she's been acting this week). I will update on this tomorrow morning/afternoon after I replace the filter and see if it works.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm gonna go ahead and say FIRST!

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Damn you troop! I'll settle for second

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1st straight guy

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eating some homemade chicken parmesan because Sean1332 had some and it made me want some.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh hai guys!

Truck update: Luck is not on my side today, wasn't the filter so it has to be the pump. (possibly the relay, but I don't fück with electrical ****)

Gonna have to get it towed and replaced, for some unknown cost. Guy wants to charge me $90 to diagnose it, I'm not sure whether I should just have him replace the fuel pump and hope it ain't something else or just pay the $90 plus whatever it costs to fix whatever is wrong.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In.

I'm right there with you on the car issues. I may have totaled mine out over the weekend.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry to hear of the vehicle woes.
Is that pump right in your tank? Ha, "TANK" no pun intended kid.

Lurking here too...!!!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some guy in a F250 pulled it out.
Lol, I saw it when I left there. It looked hilarious with the front end stuck like that.
Sorry to hear of the vehicle woes.
Is that pump right in your tank? Ha, "TANK" no pun intended kid.

Lurking here too...!!!
I'm fairly certain it's in the tank, my buddy is convinced its on the block for small block chevys, but I can't find it if it is.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not the fuel pump, distributor went bad.

Total charge: $540.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed.

Car trouble here as well. New break pads and rotors.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eating some homemade chicken parmesan because Sean1332 had some and it made me want some.
Chicken parm is amazing. I'm still burping it up.

And subbed. This will be a fücking awesome transformation of size and power.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Chicken parm is amazing. I'm still burping it up.

And subbed. This will be a fücking awesome transformation of size and power.
Subbed bc I too dig chicken parm -- and bc Sean subbed. Lol.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, the truck runs fine now...

Found out my air filter is missing, weird.

They also suggested I consider replacing the spark plugs and starter soon, but I haven't noticed any reason to believe that's necessary.

Funny thing from today, not long after dropping the truck off they called me asking if there was any specific thing that need be done to pop the hood. My answer? Pull it like a man lol.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I saw that, they give you any timeframe for them to finish in?
Not yet. I called to check on it, but the guy already went home. Hopefully, it'll get done tomorrow.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for the lifting of heavy objects and car woes....today my car shifted into ETC engine fail safe mode and kicked out of cruise control and started running and sounding like sh!t....ETC engine fail safe mode, I don't know wtf that means. I turned it off and back on and it's running fine :think:

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for the lifting of heavy objects and car woes....today my car shifted into ETC engine fail safe mode and kicked out of cruise control and started running and sounding like sh!t....ETC engine fail safe mode, I don't know wtf that means. I turned it off and back on and it's running fine :think:
What year?

Dimitrius

Dimitrius

Awards
[video=youtube;HeWUXV89w0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeWUXV89w0g[/video]

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 scoops snickerdoodle with a half gallon of milk is pretty good.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just had to dump $1100 into my car.
New fuel pump ($475 just for the part), new thermostat, new rare ABS sensors, and new battery cable terminals.

Stuff always has to happen right before the holidays.
Jesus, what do you drive?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1999 Ford Crown Victoria

Apparently the fuel pump is inside the gas tank. So my mechanic had to take the tank off, drain the gas, open it up, change the part, put the tank back together, and then replace the damn gas tank straps that broke lol.
Yep, that's why I took mine to a shop to get it done. They always put them on the tank, and I didn't wanna take my trucks bed off and put it back on.

Good thing too, since it wasn't the fuel pump.

Was it even worth paying the 1100 instead of just getting a new car lol?

Edit: New here meaning different :laugh:

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha probably not. I bought the car about two years ago from an elderly couple who were the original owners and kept the car in immaculate shape. This has been the first time I have had to fix anything on it, unfortunately 4 things broke at once lol.
Lol, that's how it happens sometimes. Although, since it's in good shape it definitely was worth keeping (when o think crown vic, I think Houston Crown Vic. Which is most certainly not worth 1100 in repairs).

Mine has the occasional problem, but this was the only major one. (it's in good shape, especially for an '89)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Finally in. Dang this escalated quickly.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, went to the gym earlier today and got a pretty good Max OHP session in.

Warmup: Band Pullaparts x a lot. Axle Press up to 100# x 8

Work: 110 x 4, 130 x 4 (strict, easy) +push 170 x 4, 190 x 4, 200 x 1

The 200 x 1 was a PR, and it was pretty easy itself. I went for another couple but let the weight get too far out in front of me.

Single Arm DB OHP: 45 x 10, 50 x 10 x 2, 50 x 8

Wanted to go heavier, but the gym only has up to 50 and then 65, 75, 85, etc. And 65 was a bit too much at that point.

a1. Incline Bench: 135 x 7, 135 x 7 + 2 Partials, 135 x 6 + 3 partials. (moved the bench 1 peg closer to flat for the last set)
a2. Six Ways: 10 x 8, 10 x 7, 10 x 6
a3. Tricep Pushdown: Purlpe band x 15, x 20, x10 (varying technique slightly each set)

Shoulders were smoked. Triceps too.

b1. Meadows Row: 45 x 12 x 3
b2. Rear Delt Raises: 15 x 20 x 3

Strong pump.

Went home and ate like a horse. Triceps started cramping when I went to take off my shirt for the shower.

Training notes: Starting next week I intend to do the majority of the technique coaching before the workout (for my wifes friend that I've been training), rest periods will be shorter. Life will probably suck more.

Basic Outline for rest will be similar to this:

ME Movements: 3-5 minutes between sets (never less than 3, never more than 5)
RE Movements: 90 - 120 seconds between sets
DE Movements: 30-45 seconds between sets

Assistance: 2-3 minutes between exercises, 30-45 seconds between sets

Supersets: 30 seconds between exercises, 60-90 seconds between each superset

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's M/R/DE?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice PR on the presses dude...!
Thanks PB.
maximal, dynamic, and repetition effort's

Good work Jim. The strongman at my gym was doing one arm DB OHP yesterday with hundred lb'ers. That'll be you!
Damn right.

I'll do that tomorrow! (Nope)

Also, supplement note. I added Endosurge Turbo in yesterday. I plan to finish my current bottle of AB, the ET, and Prime before starting anything else.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
200lbs overhead is no joke! Especially with an axle, though I have never pressed one, I imagine it's a bitch. Did you clean the axle as well? I'm curious about the continental clean. Never tried one, and I've only ever cleaned more than 225 one time.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
200lbs overhead is no joke! Especially with an axle, though I have never pressed one, I imagine it's a bitch. Did you clean the axle as well? I'm curious about the continental clean. Never tried one, and I've only ever cleaned more than 225 one time.
I didn't this time, no.

The last time I cleaned with the axle I got 170 or something and it was a bitch.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't this time, no.

The last time I cleaned with the axle I got 170 or something and it was a bitch.
Tru dat. I couldn't clean the log with more than 215, but I pressed 255 out of the rack. Dat atrocious clean form! But hey, if you can't clean it, how da fück are you gonna press it in competition?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tru dat. I couldn't clean the log with more than 215, but I pressed 255 out of the rack. Dat atrocious clean form! But hey, if you can't clean it, how da fück are you gonna press it in competition?
Cleaning the log is easy for me.

Continental cleaning an axle is a bitch. I plan to attempt straight cleans with the axle next time I use it, but if I can't then I'll just get more continental clean practice.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I did the Kumite Classic powerlifting meet (equipped bench only bomb) I stopped out every chance I got. Watch the axle clean and press for a max, a few guys straight cleaned the opening weight. By round three, the one guy that kept doing it was getting oohs and aahs. He was tall as all hell and had some serious mitts on him, though.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I did the Kumite Classic powerlifting meet (equipped bench only bomb) I stopped out every chance I got. Watch the axle clean and press for a max, a few guys straight cleaned the opening weight. By round three, the one guy that kept doing it was getting oohs and aahs. He was tall as all hell and had some serious mitts on him, though.
That's why I have the issue straight cleaning it, these tiny little hands....

Nothing getting stronger can't fix.