Jim's Training to Become a Human Tank!

Page 2 of 34 First 12347 ... Last
  1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.12%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

What's M/R/DE?
    FINAFLEX REP
    Visit our website atFINAFLEX.com

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Nice PR on the presses dude...!
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    What's M/R/DE?
    maximal, dynamic, and repetition effort's

Good work Jim. The strongman at my gym was doing one arm DB OHP yesterday with hundred lb'ers. That'll be you!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Nice PR on the presses dude...!
    Thanks PB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

maximal, dynamic, and repetition effort's

Good work Jim. The strongman at my gym was doing one arm DB OHP yesterday with hundred lb'ers. That'll be you!
    Damn right.

I'll do that tomorrow! (Nope)

Also, supplement note. I added Endosurge Turbo in yesterday. I plan to finish my current bottle of AB, the ET, and Prime before starting anything else.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

200lbs overhead is no joke! Especially with an axle, though I have never pressed one, I imagine it's a bitch. Did you clean the axle as well? I'm curious about the continental clean. Never tried one, and I've only ever cleaned more than 225 one time.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    200lbs overhead is no joke! Especially with an axle, though I have never pressed one, I imagine it's a bitch. Did you clean the axle as well? I'm curious about the continental clean. Never tried one, and I've only ever cleaned more than 225 one time.
    I didn't this time, no.

The last time I cleaned with the axle I got 170 or something and it was a bitch.

Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.42%

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

I didn't this time, no.

The last time I cleaned with the axle I got 170 or something and it was a bitch.
    Tru dat. I couldn't clean the log with more than 215, but I pressed 255 out of the rack. Dat atrocious clean form! But hey, if you can't clean it, how da fück are you gonna press it in competition?
    Training log:
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Tru dat. I couldn't clean the log with more than 215, but I pressed 255 out of the rack. Dat atrocious clean form! But hey, if you can't clean it, how da fück are you gonna press it in competition?
    Cleaning the log is easy for me.

Continental cleaning an axle is a bitch. I plan to attempt straight cleans with the axle next time I use it, but if I can't then I'll just get more continental clean practice.

9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.42%

When I did the Kumite Classic powerlifting meet (equipped bench only bomb) I stopped out every chance I got. Watch the axle clean and press for a max, a few guys straight cleaned the opening weight. By round three, the one guy that kept doing it was getting oohs and aahs. He was tall as all hell and had some serious mitts on him, though.
    Training log:
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

When I did the Kumite Classic powerlifting meet (equipped bench only bomb) I stopped out every chance I got. Watch the axle clean and press for a max, a few guys straight cleaned the opening weight. By round three, the one guy that kept doing it was getting oohs and aahs. He was tall as all hell and had some serious mitts on him, though.
    That's why I have the issue straight cleaning it, these tiny little hands....

Nothing getting stronger can't fix.

11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Did some rep squatting today. Nothing too ridiculous, it's still a little early to take it heavy on lower body lifts methinks.

Pre: 1.5 Enhanced, Prime, Anabeta, Endosurge Turbo
    Intra: Amino IV

All lifts done with Oly Shoes.

Squat: 275 x 8 x 2

Good Morning: 95 x 12 x 3

a1. Walking Lunges: BW x 12 x 2
    a2. GHR Back Ext.: BW x 10 x 2

That was it. Back is sore from yesterdays rowing (hooray for high rep back work). Triceps sore, shoulders feel stiff. Hips were a bit tight today, but that is to be expected a week after a meet. Besides that I feel fine.

Next will be body day, DB bench, more rowing, calf work, and then I'll hit Quads/Biceps/Chest. Mostly volume stuff, might do some timed sets for some of the assistance (as opposed to rep ranges). Weight will mostly depend on how I feel Saturday. Also, I might be able to rearrange my training in a more advantageous way now, my buddy gave me a key to the gym today so I can go whenever I want, even if he isn't there. So, we'll see when I knuckle down Friday/Saturday and program the 7 weeks into the January Strongman Event (which I am still unsure whether I will be doing or not.)

12. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Texas Power Bar or a specialty bar?

Idk what I want to get first, but the gym I train at has rogue oly bars, which are decent, but I prefer to use TPB.

13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Texas Power Bar or a specialty bar? Idk what I want to get first, but the gym I train at has rogue oly bars, which are decent, but I prefer to use TPB.
    I say a Texas deadlift bar or the EFS Yoke bar. I'd say that the Yoke bar would be better than the deadlift bar, seeing as you're a strongman first, and won't need a bar with a ton of whip and grip for pulling.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.1%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Texas Power Bar or a specialty bar? Idk what I want to get first, but the gym I train at has rogue oly bars, which are decent, but I prefer to use TPB.
    Power Bar
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

I say a Texas deadlift bar or the EFS Yoke bar. I'd say that the Yoke bar would be better than the deadlift bar, seeing as you're a strongman first, and won't need a bar with a ton of whip and grip for pulling.
    I was really leaning towards the cambered bar (if I got any specialty bar) lol. There's just so much you can do with it! (squat, GM, bench, OHP, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

Power Bar

Why would you choose that? (not arguing, just want to know what makes you pick that)

16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.1%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I was really leaning towards the cambered bar (if I got any specialty bar) lol. There's just so much you can do with it! (squat, GM, bench, OHP, etc.) Why would you choose that? (not arguing, just want to know what makes you pick that)
    It's the best overall bar to me.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%

I was really leaning towards the cambered bar (if I got any specialty bar) lol. There's just so much you can do with it! (squat, GM, bench, OHP, etc.) Why would you choose that? (not arguing, just want to know what makes you pick that)
    In that case, I vote power bar over cambered.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  18. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

It's the best overall bar to me.
    Fair enough.

I was leaning towards the power bar.

In that case, I vote power bar over cambered.
    Why did you vote the SSB over the Power Bar?

I only wonder, because the cambered bar seems more similar to a yoke because of where the weight sits (and there are no handles) so I always assumed the cambered would have a little more carryover.

19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%

Fair enough. I was leaning towards the power bar. Why did you vote the SSB over the Power Bar? I only wonder, because the cambered bar seems more similar to a yoke because of where the weight sits (and there are no handles) so I always assumed the cambered would have a little more carryover.
    Everything is easier for me with the 14" Cambered Bar, except for the stability. The SSB makes me it's bitch. I see more carryover to squat and deadlift with the SSB. Plus, the SSB is hard as crap for GM's because of how strong you have to maintain your upper back. GMs with the cambered bar are easy as hell because a lot of that is eliminated. Plus, if you have shoulder issues, the SSB is comfortable, whereas the 14" cambered bar sits how a straight bar would and is awkward to grip for some people.

Anyway you would be able to give a test run of them somewhere?
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  20. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Everything is easier for me with the 14" Cambered Bar, except for the stability. The SSB makes me it's bitch. I see more carryover to squat and deadlift with the SSB. Plus, the SSB is hard as crap for GM's because of how strong you have to maintain your upper back. GMs with the cambered bar are easy as hell because a lot of that is eliminated. Plus, if you have shoulder issues, the SSB is comfortable, whereas the 14" cambered bar sits how a straight bar would and is awkward to grip for some people.

Anyway you would be able to give a test run of them somewhere?
    Nope.

I used a SSB once back on Bragg. And I used a cambered about 5 months later when someone brought one to the gym.

I can't remember which was harder (did squats and gms with both).

21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%

Nope. I used a SSB once back on Bragg. And I used a cambered about 5 months later when someone brought one to the gym. I can't remember which was harder (did squats and gms with both).
    You're in it for the long haul right? Just get whichever one and then get the other later.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  22. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

You're in it for the long haul right? Just get whichever one and then get the other later.
    Yeah, I figure I'll probably get the Power Bar first, and then begin accumulating other things as I can afford them.
    Last edited by jimbuick; 12-14-2013 at 01:51 PM.

23. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.96%

Your plan in the intro sounds solid, Jim. In to see some SM action.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.49%

Always late, damn it.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  25. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Sitting down to eat some more chicken parmesan before heading to the gym. Planned to go earlier this morning while everyone else was gonna be there, but had to supervise my sister (Court order) until my mom showed up to relieve me and the wife.

So, I figured while I'm doing nothing I will give a general outline of what I intend my training days to look like.

At this point I have outlined what the intended rest times and how the days will wave throughout the weeks, so I'll just give a general guideline of what I intend to do every day.

Deadlift Day:

Main Movement
    Supplemental Movement (something similar to the main movement that addresses some type of weakness, volume will be dependent on the volume/intensity of the main movement)
    Posterior Chain/Vertical Pull/Upper Back
    Core (Lower Volume)

OHP:

Main Movement
    Supplemental Movement
    Chest/Shoulder/Tricep (High Volume)
    Horizontal Pull/Upper Back

Squat:

Main Movement
    Supplemental Movement
    Quad/Posterior Chain/Unilateral Lower
    Core

Body:

Bench Press (not necessarily flat, but always some variation of a bench press)
    Horizontal Pull
    Biceps/Calves

+ 2-3 exercises that address weaknesses

26. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.62%

Looks like a good balanced plan there brof.ago
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.94%

Good. Will there be a day b/ the DL and the OHP day?
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  28. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    Good. Will there be a day b/ the DL and the OHP day?
    Yes.

It is either a conditioning or rest day.

There isn't one between OHP and Squat though.

29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.94%

Yes.

It is either a conditioning or rest day.

There isn't one between OHP and Squat though.
    No problem there, as I see it. And I was not suggesting that you needed a day, though that's a heavy load to carry without some time for recovery, increasing chances of injury and compromising your OHP.

Looks good.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  30. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Went in and did a quick body session today, kept the rest periods short and got a pretty good pump.

Pre: Prime, Endosurge Turbo

CG Bench: 185 x 9 , +Stop 1" Above Chest 165 x 10, 175 x 6

Seated Band Row: Black x 8, Purple x 8, Purple + Black x 8 x 2

a1. Cross Body Hammer Curl: 40 x 8 x 2, 45 x 7
    a2. 1 Leg Calf Raise: 50 x 15 x 3

Leg Extensions: 140 x 15, 160 x 15

(Pause at the top, lower slowly to starting position)

Elevated Partial Pushups: BW x 20, BW x 15

(Pause at the bottom to get a stretch of the pecs, explode up to about 3/4 lockout)

Feeling pretty good today, weight is back to where it was pre meet (195), planning to break 200 by January.

31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.14%

Good idea using the band as a seated row. What size is your black? If I remember correctly, you have the Onyx ones, correct?
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  32. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Good idea using the band as a seated row. What size is your black? If I remember correctly, you have the Onyx ones, correct?
    I do, but I wasn't using mine.

The gym has 4 different "weights". Red, Light Black, Heavy black, and Purple. I was using the heavy black with the purple band.

33. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

2 things:

1. Dafuq is going on with the PL section nowadays? People discouraging beginners from doing a meet because they don't have elite totals and ****.

2. Won my fantasy game (without Megatron even having played yet). Mostly because of Seattle's Defense and D-Jax. Headed to the Superbowl, already won $100 and if I win next week I'll win another $125.

34. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.96%

2 things:

1. Dafuq is going on with the PL section nowadays? People discouraging beginners from doing a meet because they don't have elite totals and ****.

2. Won my fantasy game (without Megatron even having played yet). Mostly because if Seattle's Defense and D-Jax. Headed to the Superbowl, already won $100 and if I win next week I'll win another $125.
    1) I haven't seen it happening, but if it is that sucks, man. That's a downer.

2) congrats
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  35. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    1) I haven't seen it happening, but if it is that sucks, man. That's a downer.

2) congrats
    Respectable numbers for a beginner.

36. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.96%

Honestly, the thread is not bad. There's some good discussion going on there. The only thing I have to say is I agree with your statement about fueledpassion. He always seems to have something to say regarding any topic on Earth.
  37. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Honestly, the thread is not bad. There's some good discussion going on there. The only thing I have to say is I agree with your statement about fueledpassion. He always seems to have something to say regarding any topic on Earth.
    I agree, most of the thread isn't bad.

Just fueledpassion.

38. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Weighing in at the gym today (this will be a Monday thing from this point forward).

Been sleeping pretty good recently, probably because of the L Dopa in Endosurge Turbo.

ME Deadlift today, pulling for a 4. Ideally, I want 3-4 different sets of 370 or more.

39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.15%

Go get em ****er
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  40. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Go get em ****er
    Bro, it's gonna be a good day.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM
  2. Prohormones to Become Schedule III Drugs
    By PsYoP78 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 04:19 PM
  3. A question about training to failure...
    By Gaf Knee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 10:23 PM
  4. Training to improve throws
    By bigbadboss101 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 01:42 AM
  5. what is to become of anabolicarchive?
    By dez/null in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 05:18 PM