Swanson's Penultimate 5/3/1 Powerlifting Log...for real

Page 1 of 25 1236 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

I deleted the last abortion of a log because it was a total disaster. I'll link my first AM log so everyone can see what I'm about in case the 5 people who follow don't already know.

I'm starting at the bottom, after having a couple injuries (L4-S1 herniations, left shoulder impingement and SLAP lesion) which really set my training back. I sought PT for all 3 injuries, opting to avoid the lengthy recovery time that surgery typically requires. After a solid 8 weeks of PT and light training, I feel like I'm ready to start training seriously again.

I'm going to preface all of this by saying I am WEAK. I mean OHP 135 on my 5 days weak. Squatting with a true max of 400 weak. I'm fully embarrassed by that, but it is what it is. If it were easy to be strong, everyone would be. For purposes of my training, I'm going to start my 5/3/1 like this;

OHP-185
    Bench-325
    Squat-400
    Deadlift-500

I could go to the gym right now and hit those numbers, so I'll start there and jump more in between cycles (I know, I know, leave me alone) if it's necessary. I'm going to hammer hip mobility and go back to pulling sumo, but will pull convo on squat day as an assistance movement. I'm still working on which assistance template to use, so I'll work on that today. Conditioning will be basketball, tires, prowler and sprints. Maybe some early AM LISS treadmill to help get me loosened up as well. I can't just hop out of bed and hit the Prowler like my kids can.

As I have indicated, I suffer from crippling paralysis by analysis. I change goals, diet, training on a regular basis because I think some other way will be more optimal. I ask you, loyal reader, to help me with this. Keep my ass on track with 5/3/1. When I say I want to change diet to lose weight, tell me to do more conditioning and keep eating. DO NOT LET ME CHANGE MY PATH, BASTARDS!!

I'll be sticking to mostly whole food stuff, with only minor supplementation. I use an intra mix with some Karboload mixed in, but other than that I'll eat. PWO? Eat. Pre? Eat. That's it. Also still on TRT @ 50mg E4D...I wish I could up that, but I get brutal headaches and other unfortunate sides when my total test climbs above about 900. Just not worth it to me.

Feel free to post suggestions for me to ignore or ridicule, nudes if you have them, food pron, or whatever else strikes your fancy. I will undoubtedly post unpopular opinions, disgusting and sexual references, among other offensive things.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Subbed. Again.

From what I've seen with you, the diet is what you speak of most and seems to change the most. For the most part, aside from your injuries, your training stayed consistent. So...just train, and eat. Don't **** around with any fancy diet, depriving yourself so badly that you want to say "**** this diet" Just have fun!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Subbed. Again. From what I've seen with you, the diet is what you speak of most and seems to change the most. For the most part, aside from your injuries, your training stayed consistent. So...just train, and eat. Don't **** around with any fancy diet, depriving yourself so badly that you want to say "**** this diet" Just have fun!
    You ain't neva lie.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Great write up on the "knees out" squat debate;

http://jtsstrength.us5.list-manage2....0&e=f3b715b96a
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Subbed! I tried not torquing as much today on my squats, swayed by JTS. I didn't die, so I'll check the "So far, so good" box. Let's make it happen, big man. Condition your face off! It will reap huge dividends.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

It's funny because I can't squat without pushing my knees out while spreading the floor. I get no glute activating and I fall forward. Also my squats are a mile high if I dont do that. Meh.

And welcome back, Swanson.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for following again. Just need the old man, the jimAngry, the Bengal, Rob math and the paratrooper to complete this nonsense.

I'm going to Skwat WITH VIDEO tomorrow! Whoop!
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Really got after it today; did 2x agile 8 sessions (AM & PM), PVC rolled & LAX ball mashed, and did 45' LISS @ 130 hr.

Sourced some 700# tires as well, so I'll have them ~700, 600, 500, 400 and 2 @ 250. That could be a little puke-inducing medley.
  9. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I am not angry.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    I am not angry.
    You're a bit angry.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Jim responding to annoying posts;

12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

I am not angry.
    Stop yelling

In Swanson!

I push the knees out, but I come out of the hole best with them in line with the feet or just out. Nothing excessive. I am a huge fan of Camp Kelly(listen to his appearance on Mark Bell's Podcast). His goals are on a whole new level stemming to people world wide with aspirations of even fixing healthcare(again hear the podcast, it makes sense).

That said I also believe every thing isn't for everybody for a litany of reasons.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  13. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

WHO'S YELLING?!?!?!!!
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Bengal checking in! Stoked you're back to training big man.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

If you're not eating this, you're fully missing out. I stole it from John Meadows, but cream of rice + shake about an hour prior to training is GRRRRREAT.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Oh ****, I never thought about using cream of rice before. I'm not a huge rice fan (don't tell my gf that!) but it's more of a texture/effort required to eat it rather than flavor or anything else. This could be the ticket.

As of now, carb sources are primarily fruits, lactose, and pop tarts. Frosted wheaties make an appearance every now and then, but I don't think they're too bad. Not exactly a clean source of carbs, but not too bad for a sugary food.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Get on the cream of rice train, my friend. I love it, and it's less heavy to me than oatmeal. Grits and oatmeal can kind of bloat me up, but this stuff is pure perfection for mah belly.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    Get on the cream of rice train, my friend. I love it, and it's less heavy to me than oatmeal. Grits and oatmeal can kind of bloat me up, but this stuff is pure perfection for mah belly.
    Oh yeah, I do oatmeal, too, PWO. I like it, though.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

I saw "cream" and though ice cream

I'm didappointed
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I saw "cream" and though ice cream

I'm didappointed
    I'm a FroYo guy.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Looking good here, Swanson. You seem like a cool guy. Look fwd to following your journey. Sub'd.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    Looking good here, Swanson. You seem like a cool guy. Look fwd to following your journey. Sub'd.
    Welcome, sir. Be patient with my rehab weights early, I'll get back to big boy weight before too long.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

What were you at before, 500 SQ/400 BP/near 600 DL?
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Welcome, sir. Be patient with my rehab weights early, I'll get back to big boy weight before too long.
    LOL, read my log (which will take all of 5 minutes, as it's just begun) and you will understand the irony of your remark, big guy!

And you will never get judgment in this regard out of me in any event. Only support and well-intended, constructive advice, when appropriate.

In any event, your rehab strength is pretty equivalent to my outright strength, based on a brief glimpse through your log. But as you soon will learn, I am stuck in perennial rehab, so unlike yours, my max numbers will not be improving.

Respect.
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  25. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

But, don't worry, you'll get all the judgement you need from me!
    BPS Rep
    www.bpsnutrition.net

26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Perhaps a moment of misguided candor, but I will say, I paused a few times, thinking you are a little cocksure. But then it was revealed to me that you are quite young, much younger than I inferred based on the manner in which you express yourself, and it suddenly all made sense.

You're a bright young man. And nothing wrong with being young and cocky. Add some AAS, and you may lose the "y" though, lol. Just playing with you bro. Keep up the good work. I am enjoying your posts.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Back injury set me back about 50% further than I had estimated. Couple of **** vids and update coming...it's fawking pathetic fellas.
  28. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

There's nothing pathetic about getting back in the gym after an injury.

But you, you're pathetic! (I did say I would pass judgement, didn't I?)
    BPS Rep
    www.bpsnutrition.net

29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

This. You haven't hung up your belt yet, Swanson, and that's something you should be proud to hang your hat on.

To recap: Hang your hat, don't hang your belt.
    Training log:
  30. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXg8...e_gdata_player
    BPS Rep
    www.bpsnutrition.net

31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    What were you at before, 500 SQ/400 BP/near 600 DL?
    Yeah, not QUITE 500sq (475ish), 400, 625. Comp maxes were 462 (I think), 389, 605.

And I'll LIKE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    Perhaps a moment of misguided candor, but I will say, I paused a few times, thinking you are a little cocksure. But then it was revealed to me that you are quite young, much younger than I inferred based on the manner in which you express yourself, and it suddenly all made sense.
    You're a bright young man. And nothing wrong with being young and cocky. Add some AAS, and you may lose the "y" though, lol. Just playing with you bro. Keep up the good work. I am enjoying your posts.
    I (no homo) love me some Jim, he can berate me til his heart's content.

But you, you're pathetic! (I did say I would pass judgement, didn't I?)
    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    This. You haven't hung up your belt yet, Swanson, and that's something you should be proud to hang your hat on.

Y'all might not feel that way after seeing this...
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

5/3/1 Week 1, Day 1

Agile 8, PVC roll everything, LAX smash everything, elliptical warm up.

Squats
    Warm Ups-probably too much and I ended up fatigued I think. It was my first time back in months, and I wanted to be loose & ready. Overdid it.
    235x5
    270x5
    Right here, based on how my adductors felt, I knew it was over for the day. My legs were jello already. Ditched 305.
    270x3

Down sets
    225x3x5 (I'm a reps x sets guy)

This was a hell of an ego blow, not to mention a colossal struggle. I'm sure you'll see me miss depth a couple times, I'll drop my chest, I'll get loose...I fawking forgot how to squat basically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIGgVvSs7uk

Convo DL
    225x5x5

Planks
    Side planks
    Leg raises

Done.

I pegged my max today at 400, but I think I gave myself 50# there. I'll assume the same on DL; my max is probably 450 today. Time to back the weights down.
  33. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

5/3/1 Week 1, Day 1

Agile 8, PVC roll everything, LAX smash everything, elliptical warm up.

Squats
    Warm Ups-probably too much and I ended up fatigued I think. It was my first time back in months, and I wanted to be loose & ready. Overdid it.
    235x5
    270x5
    Right here, based on how my adductors felt, I knew it was over for the day. My legs were jello already. Ditched 305.
    270x3

Down sets
    225x3x5 (I'm a reps x sets guy)

This was a hell of an ego blow, not to mention a colossal struggle. I'm sure you'll see me miss depth a couple times, I'll drop my chest, I'll get loose...I fawking forgot how to squat basically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIGgVvSs7uk

Convo DL
    225x5x5

Planks
    Side planks
    Leg raises

Done.

I pegged my max today at 400, but I think I gave myself 50# there. I'll assume the same on DL; my max is probably 450 today. Time to back the weights down.
    Copyright issues on that video.
    BPS Rep
    www.bpsnutrition.net

34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Copyright issues on that video.
    I'll redo it. Bastards, it was all music in the gym.
  35. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I'll redo it. Bastards, it was all music in the gym.
    Just dispute it and it'll work, dispute the claims, claim fair use, and copy that text (the fair use option) into the text box and then it'll work.
    BPS Rep
    www.bpsnutrition.net

36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I remember struggling after my back injury. Conditioning gone, core gone, tweaked my back wrapping my knees one day, 315x6 with knees wrapped was a grinder, couldn't find my deadlift form for months on end. Six months later I'm stronger than ever. This is a great time to hammer volume and build yourself a base, a platform to grow from.

We know you're not patient, Swanson, so this will be a huge test. But you can come out on top.

EDIT: The video wasn't as terrible as you made it out to be. You know what to do, and it will all get better. My technique always needs lots of practice, I'd forget how to squat too if I took as long of a layoff as you did
    Training log:
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Looking good, big man. You already mentioned the little things to fix.

What goes down, must go up!!
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks gents. Honestly it didn't feel too bad, and after looking at rep speed on 270x3, I'm not sure why I thought I was done. They certainly weren't grinders.

I think I was wary of my adductors. They were alarmingly "crampy", and I'm not trying to get hurt on day 1. I was pissed when I left the gym, but overall I guess I'm happy I can still train.

For Sean & Herder (who blast me on diet-after my PWO meal (clean) I was absolutely ravenous, so I ate a piece of taco pizza and a pint of sorbet.

Like Wendler said "a powerlifter worrying about how much he weighs is like a bodybuilder worrying about how much he bench presses".
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Pfft, you call this a log?

In...

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Tossing Weight With Torobestia: Powerlifting Log
    By Torobestia in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 665
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 10:10 PM