Swanson's Penultimate 5/3/1 Powerlifting Log...for real

Page 30 of 36 First ... 2829303132 ... Last

1. Same thing happened to my squat. Not quite 10%, but it was a good bunch.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

2. Let's do this 10/20/Life ****, big man. Starting Monday.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Let's do this 10/20/Life ****, big man. Starting Monday.
    I'm almost to meet prep portion.

I have to say, this is a well written book. He says a lot of things I need to hear, I'm simply curious about the RPE training. The meet prep is percentage based, but it seems crazy light.

Thoughts?
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I'm almost to meet prep portion.

I have to say, this is a well written book. He says a lot of things I need to hear, I'm simply curious about the RPE training. The meet prep is percentage based, but it seems crazy light.

Thoughts?
    Therein lies the beauty of RPE. If it's too light, then just add more weight.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html

5. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Same thing happened to my squat. Not quite 10%, but it was a good bunch.
    Mine may not have dropped 10%, but I don't think I should be getting stapled with 475, even on my last set.

The new Ebook addresses it comprehensively, and he says basically what we're saying; look good or lift big. Not both.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I'm almost to meet prep portion. I have to say, this is a well written book. He says a lot of things I need to hear, I'm simply curious about the RPE training. The meet prep is percentage based, but it seems crazy light. Thoughts?
    Meet prep is crazy light? You hit your Opener 4x, Second attempt 3x, and Third attempt from a Light Reverse band, within 3 weeks of the meet. It seems like he ramps it up quite a bit.

The off-season is light as **** it seems, but we dunno crap about RPE either so..who knows lol I guess we'll find out. I'll be doing Dead/Bench/Squat/Weakness.

I feel like he's making subtle digs at Brandon Lilly and 365Strong in the book lol
    [email protected]

7. Subtly attacking Lilly, overtly bashing Bret Contreras. Lol.
    Training log:

8. Maybe it just seemed lighter than you put it. I guess he does ramp it up a bit.

If I had to pick between this & 365Strong, I'd take this all day. He seems to relate to the average lifter better than Lilly IMHO.

Still Wendler's biggest fan though. However, this is a better book for a novice powerlifter I think.

9. ^Agree.

So..5x5, last set RPE 6....That'd mean a weight that I could get for no more than 9 reps...because RPE is 4ish in the tank and it calls for 5 reps...My head hurts I'm going to sleep.
    [email protected]

10. Rather than think 4 reps in the tank, think of it as cutting the set as soon as the bar slows down. That's how I'd approach it. Also, you're deloading VERY often, so misewell go hard.
    Training log:

11. Hm sounds good to me. I gotta read that EFS article on it again.
    [email protected]

12. I look forward to seeing how this stuff treats you guys. RPE is a process, but most people who autoregulate take 10 years to do so. This could be what gets us there faster. I would definitely film a lot, especially if no crew to help you gauge.

Also, Wendler just did a podcast with Mark Bell. I didn't hear it yet bc they are always an hour long but I think I'll get time tomorrow. Just spreading the word!
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

13. Quote Originally Posted by rob112
    I look forward to seeing how this stuff treats you guys.
    Same here. I have a feeling the two of you guys will have successful runs. Hell, you guys would find a way to get stronger using any program.

14. Yesterday's session

SQUAT
    Work up
    405x5
    415x5
    425x5
    455x5x2
    Still trying to get my confidence and groove back under me. 25 reps is a lot for this guy.

GHR
    BWx12x3

SSB GOOD MORNINGS
    185x8x4

I don't like GMs.

Done

15. SSB GMs are brutal
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

16. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    SSB GMs are brutal
    Especially when the hams are torched. I was struggling towards the end.

17. Work up
    430x4x4
    495x2
    555x2x2
    I wanted to jump to 575-600, but the coach told me to back off a bit. I can't overreach to 6 bills every Saturday. Hit plenty of volume over 400 so I'll say it was a good session. 22 working reps is a ton for me.

FRONT SQUATS
    My quads are crazy weak.
    225x8x2
    275x8
    My core was too smoked to go 315 today.

Finished up with some below knee rack pulls into shrugs @ 605.

Done.

18. 555 sounds like an opener, man. Once your front squats are up a ways, you'll be pulling 6.
    Training log:

19. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    555 sounds like an opener, man. Once your front squats are up a ways, you'll be pulling 6.
    I think/hope so. I can pull an easy 605 from mid shin, but I'll be damned if that SOB isn't stapled to the floor when it's time to pull.

Next meet I'll open w/555-ish. I'm happy to do reps in the 5-550 range though.

Plus I'll have QUADS OF STEEL!

20. Yo, no chance you'd be interested in running combustion and DCP as part of a log is there?

We've got a promo going on for this and I know you like DCP and figured you might be interested in trying combustion with it.

Boss man wants a regular guy who's using his regular diet, plus I figure it will help with the recomp if you get picked.

21. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Yo, no chance you'd be interested in running combustion and DCP as part of a log is there?

We've got a promo going on for this and I know you like DCP and figured you might be interested in trying combustion with it.

Boss man wants a regular guy who's using his regular diet, plus I figure it will help with the recomp if you get picked.
    Sure, I'd love to. Link me to the app thread.

22. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

Sure, I'd love to. Link me to the app thread.
    Here you go!

[Loggers NEEDED] BPS' Combustion (2014 Edition)/DCP 2.0

23. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    App submitted. Thanks for the heads up, fingers crossed. Never really tried a true recomp with any supps like these.

24. Hope u get picked dcp is good stuff imo

25. Quote Originally Posted by Duramaxhd View Post
    Hope u get picked dcp is good stuff imo
    Me too. I love me some DCP!

26. Shoulder impingement is really ****ing up my bench. Unable to bench again today.

INCLINE DB PRESS
    85x12x2
    100x10 <<<<ouch

Supersetted BW dips (which oddly cause no shoulder pain) with curls, and lat pulldowns with machine rows.

All in all, not a super productive day from a chest standpoint.

Done. Time to eat.

27. Boo. Lay off the pressing for a minute buddy. That's no fun. Though I do like you slingin big ol dumbells.
    [email protected]

28. Try lacrosse ball rolling traps, delts, around the blades and pecs this has really helped me a bunch

29. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Boo. Lay off the pressing for a minute buddy. That's no fun. Though I do like you slingin big ol dumbells.
    I might take 4-5 weeks off...my approach going into the meet might be to just token bench 350 or so. We'll see, I hate to miss 1600 because my bench tanked due to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Duramaxhd View Post
    Try lacrosse ball rolling traps, delts, around the blades and pecs this has really helped me a bunch
    Good idea. I've gotten away from it a bit, need to mash that bitch.

30. Skwaaaatz.
    Work up
    485x3x3
    Popped a rib out on the last set. That **** feels awful.
    405x8

GHR
    + black mini band
    12/12/12

Trouble breathing so I didn't prowl. Good session.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Tossing Weight With Torobestia: Powerlifting Log
    By Torobestia in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 665
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 11:10 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 02:30 PM
  3. House of biceps - Young powerlifting log
    By rubus in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 08:23 AM