The High-Jinx Log: Celebrations of My Reincarnations

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I intend this log to be a place where I don't take myself too seriously, and hopefully ya'll will join me in making it a supportive place (bilaterally), for training and feedback, sartorial asides, and even some boisterous celebration and merriment as we strive together to satisfy and exceed our life's goals.

I will say right out of the gate that my training is somewhat unorthodox. It's highly intuitive, and thus not programmed or even planned -- you won't see typical periodization here. As you get to know me and my background better, particularly my health conditions and my many past surgeries, I believe you will understand better. But make no mistake, the results will be here, though my metrics may differ from those of the majority.

I strive to be athletic and fit, as functionally strong as my body can withstand without injury, and also too have pleasing aesthetics. There will be plenty of weeks where I only train 1-2 times, because of my health (my CNS is easily overly activated, again because of my health conditions, and it's easy for me to overtrain) or outside demands, but my fitness, conditioning and healthy are always on the top of my mind, and that will be reflected in my practices. And I may just impress you with what I can accomplish with just a few judicious sessions per week, though that may require some perspective shifting for some of you, as I am not going to be hoisting the low volume, heavy weight any longer, as I've made that pledge to myself, for the advancement of my health, i.e., to reduce the likelihood of yet more surgeries. I pushed myself last year, after recovering from 3 surgeries in 3 weeks, and got as big and nearly as strong as I've ever been at 188 lbs (+30 lbs in around 20 weeks, largely because I was so undertrained, and I had intensive PT 3 times per week for many, many months), at the age of 42, but I just didn't feel good. I feel good at 165 or so pounds, which I weigh right now, without the huge yoke that I develop when lifting for power, which places too great a strain on my shoulders, biceps and elbows, the locations of my 15 or so ortho surgeries.

Really looking forward to calling this my new home, and contributing meaningfully to this community. Really humbled to be here among ya'll, most notably my friends Toro and Sean, both who are with heroic strength, discipline, determination, principles and smarts. While I may not be able to contribute much directly in terms of furthering your respective goals to hoist the most weight, and the technical requirements thereof, I know quite a bit about anatomy/physiology and therapeutic modalities, as well as medication and supplements, so I hope this brings something meaningfully to bear. But perhaps my greatest strength is that of cheerleader -- I carry very large pom poms (think Will Ferrell, old SNL) and I shake them vigorously while uttering words of support that are spoken with the utmost sincerity, even if seemingly over-the-top at times.

IMHO, if we are to be our personal best, and we are to be true warriors and champions, we will not focus our efforts exclusively inwardly, but also outwardly to achieve the greatest good in a collective sense, so that we all flourish and manifest our potential.

With that, I will end this loquacious introduction. Looking forward to iron talk.

And here's a pic from two days ago, after a 2-week hiatus (because of oral surgery), after 2-days of light training and a few carbs. I've since had to take off another 5 days because of bronchitis/sinusitis, but hope to make it in to the gym tomorrow. I offer this, rather than my maxes, because I am not lifting for power/strength right now, so this will be one of my primary barometers.

Vitals: 5'8", 165 lbs, mid 40s, shoulders/triceps dominant.

If the skivvies (no homo -- not that there's anything wrong with that) are against policy or offend anyone, just let know. It seemed preferable to a Speedo (which I don't even own) or my workout gear, which obscures my legs, which I don't train at the moment, other than via biking, hiking, etc.

My best,
Jinxie

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Alright, I am succumbing to delusions of peer pressure, which are part of the motivation for me to maintain a log.

I am sick as **** with bronchitis and sinusitus, running Sudafed, DXM, and hydrocortisone, on top of the ABX that my doc Rx'd me. I can barely piss from the Sudafed and the DXM, combined with the MAOi from curcumin, but fortunately, as a hack pharmacists, I also have tamsulosin in my arsenal, which is giving me some relief. But it's about to be made worse by the PS Hyde PWO drink I just consumed for the first time. Something my little bro got for me months back and swears by. I need all the help I can to muster the energy to get through a sesh.

Another thing, I am on TRT, secondary hypogonadal here. Run 80 mgs test cyp E4D, which puts my free test totally mid range, thanks to elevated SHBG (which I would prefer to low SHBG, all things considered), which is quite typical for those who are secondary hypogonadal according to study-based research. I also take 1.25 mgs of finasteride for vanity, even though it compromises my explosiveness and makes me wetter -- but damn I have good hair, lol. Only other stuff I take for training is occasional creatine, occasional PWO energy-drink (usually just a 1/2 scoop of Jack3d, lol) if I am running low, and occasional inter-training BCAAs, which I don't find to do jack unless I am training fasted, but YMMV.

As soon as I down this Hyde stuff, I am off like a prom dress. I will update this post with some truly light work, but at least I am getting in there and getting this log going, so there's that.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed! That Hyde is no joke, I've had a try out of a friend's bottle. It'll provide quite the kick in the pants. If you were wearing pants. Looking good! Hopefully I'll be somewhat close to that lean in the future.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry to hear about the UTRI. That concoction of yours sounds like it should keep at least the sinusitis at bay and hopefully you start feeling better.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hyde is garbage IMO, fancy flavored caffeine.

420mgs of caffeine per serving and nothing else that's worth a damn.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I noticed that feel. Nothing but stims. But plenty of stims.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

I dunno dude. Respectfully, my little bro gave it to me, and he swears by it, and he's a stim freak (who takes Concerta for ADD to boot), not to mention an all-natty hulkish freak, so that's good enough for me. In any event, it's all gravy for me, as I don't generally like or take stims. It certainly did the trick -- I felt stimulated, it suppressed cold symptoms, and I was focused as hell. I thought it had creatine among a few other things like BA, but I didn't pay close attention as it's not something I am going to take regularly.

I will log my workout in a second ...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dunno dude. Respectfully, my little bro gave it to me, and he swears by it, and he's a stim freak (who takes Concerta for ADD to boot), not to mention an all-natty hulkish freak, so that's good enough for me. In any event, it's all gravy for me, as I don't generally like or take stims. It certainly did the trick -- I felt stimulated, it suppressed cold symptoms, and I was focused as hell. I thought it had creatine among a few other things like BA, but I didn't pay close attention as it's not something I am going to take regularly.

I will log my workout in a second ...
It does, but they're pixie dusted in a small prop blend, so there isn't a high enough dose of any of them to be worth anything.

Its all caffeine for that one. Which is fine, but you could just buy caffeine caps and get the same effect for less money.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
All work is submax, with margins. No BB pressing, or even DB, as I just took a cortisone shot to the suprapinatus two weeks ago and hell if I am going to risk rupturing it. I also have a connective-tissue disorder, and have made an internal pledge to really back off heavy-weight, low-volume work, even though I crave me some of that.

Weight: 162 lbs. Damn, I am bordering on skinny now, though strength/weight ratios are holding steadily, I believe; then again it's really rather untested for many movements, which I am not currently doing. Have lost around 13 lbs in 8 weeks, and 26 lbs since bulk last summer. I did have 3 intervening surgeries, so I've had a lot of time off. I've lost an enormous amount of size in my upper traps and shoulders, but I actually think I look a lot more symmetrical now, so it's not a bad thing. And as noted in my opening post, I feel a heck of a lot better without all that strain on my shoulders, biceps and elbows, including my ulnar tendons.

All weights below are in lbs.

HS Incline Press
+90 x 15
+140 x 10
+180 x 10
+230 x 8
+270 x 5
Notes: This all felt good, after the first set, during which left shoulder felt a little rough. I generally find +270 (exclusive of machine weight, which I think is a mere 8 lbs) done strictly with a narrow grip on these is equal or at least close to around 225 BB incline press for me, though YMMV. So I was reasonably pleased with this given recent time off, left shoulder issues, and my major cut of 13 lbs in last 2 months.

Reverse-Grip Bench @ Smith Machine (ripped this idea off someone else here)
+90 x 12
+140 x 10 (first time on Smith for these; not sure I like the bar path, particularly at bottom; irritates injured RC)
+160 x 8
+ 180 x 5
Notes: Never again; total suckage for me in terms of finding position, bar path and bar rotation!

BB Reverse Grip Bench
185 x 8 (to finish)
Notes: Violated my no BB rule, but this was so much better than the smith machine; this is a relatively strong movement for me.

Dips (1st time in the longest so BW, slow and easy)
BW x 20
BW x 18
BW X 15
Notes: Left supraspinatus giving me some lip here; time to wind this sesh down.

Time for some rehab!

Internal/external Rotation mid/high/low
8 sets per side x 10-15 reps

Paramount Rear Delt
+50 x 3 x 10 (unilaterally)
Notes: I felt done, but this was the mad scientist's way to assess suprapinatus irritation, lol. It's irritated, but is functioning fine

Now that I can see my abs again, I think I might start spending a little time working them, as it's no longer time wasted. I am not doing core movements, so I could use a little isolated work here, to keep the trunk strong and balanced.

As an additional note, I am going to posting a lot more pics than a lot of ya'll are used to seeing in a workout log, as phegish as that may be perceived. It's part of my way of measuring what's working, addressing physical deficits, since I am not working heavy loads through periodization or otherwise testing how many reps I can hit at certain weights, though as the data builds, I will be able to compare over time. But right now, my training has a bit of a BB-style approach about it, as I am trying to lean the hell out for the first time in a long while. A man needs goals, right? Seriously, if it's offputting at all, or it's going to deter certain valued folks from following my log, tell me, and I can log my pics off line, or in the picture pages subforum, though that seems to me to be more designed for physique contests and whatnot, and that ain't what I am about. I take no offense at straight talk, as long as you aren't condescending towards me. :)

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sorry to hear about the UTRI. That concoction of yours sounds like it should keep at least the sinusitis at bay and hopefully you start feeling better.
You had me at URTI. :) Thanks buddy. Feeling way better already. Havent been sinus rinsing other than with a little inhalant bottle because of my recent implant surgery, but gonna take the Neil Med bottle to it tonight, which always helps get the crud out.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
New avatar, if only I could make it more readable, as the message resonates:

aint-they-cute-motifake-olympic-games-demotivational-poster-1267555581.jpg

It's time to get real here. I'm feeling way better today, and am about to venture off to the gym again, inspired by the company here.

Just to switch things up, I am going to train fasted this morning, with the exception of the splash of cream in my dark coffee. I will be sipping aminos inter-workout. A decadent omelette will follow, provided I earn it, which I will.

Just as a little more background, I can't pull much because of physical limitations. One and one-half years ago, I had bilateral biceps tenodesis (they sever the LBH, the long-head biceps -- drill a hole in the humerus, and reattach it to that, so it doesn't pull on the glenoid) as well as bilateral labral repairs and acromio-plasty. With a week of the left repair, I suffered a full LBH rupture, because of my wonky tendons, and had a corrective procedure. Around 4 months after, I started pulling again, but once I got much beyond 315 lbs, it was just too much strain on my biceps. My sports ortho (team surgeon for a world champion pro team) said too risky, don't do it, they will tear again, regardless of grip, so I up and stopped.

One year ago, I had 3 elbow surgeries. Bilateral medial epicondylectomies (they cut out a chunk of the elbow to create a grove for the ulnar nerve; ouch!) and ulnar nerve neuroplasties, to save my ulnar nerves. These were surgeries 4 and 5 (I had 1 other elbow surgery 5 years ago, and 2 other 3 years ago), to attempt to save my nerves from permanent axonal injury. Then I had a suture tack and release on my right lateral elbow for an unremitting lateral epicondylitis. I swear, since then, my tendonitis has been worse than ever at the location of the suture tack. But I soldier on, notwithstanding.

Five years ago, I also had bilateral distal excision, where the cut the ends of the collar bone off to create false A/C joints, for bilateral impingement syndrome, in addition to open mumford/bilateral subacromial decompression, bilateral labral repairs and bilateral rotator cuff debridement.

So yeah, I am the bionic man (without bionic technology, lol), and that's why my regimen is rather phegish. I've got the strength, or at least I did, but it can't be fully tested and realized because of these limitations. I also have chronic pain, for which I need to medicate with all sort of ****. All that said, ironically, I feel much better when I am lifting regularly, in addition to prehabbing/rehabbing and stretching like crazy, which I don't tend to log much, as it would be exhausting.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Today was tug day, fasted other than a little cream in my coffee this morning. Sipped on BCAAs throughout. Feeling a lot better today, on the mend.

I am doing a fair amount of bicep work these days, to address deficiencies in grip strength from bilateral cubital tunnel syndrome -- ulnar nerve impingement -- and because it is a weak link to my pulling. Back and posterior shoulders are relatively developed and strong (see below), even though I am unable to do conventional rows and deadlifts because of my conditions. I have intentionally discontinued all upper trap work because of it causing strain on my shoulders, elbows and ulnar nerves, so my yoke is a thing of the past. It was a tough thing to give up, but I feel so much better without, so it's a no brainer.

Bodymasters T-bar Row
+45 x 10
+70 x 8
+90 x 8
+105 x 8
+ 125 x 6

Lat Pulls (thumbless, super wide, to the balls, lol)
105 x 10
125 x 10
155 x 8
175 x 8

Hyperextensions
+25 x 20
+35 x 20
+45 x 15

Reverse-grip Curls (straight bar)
40 x 12
50 x 8
60 x 8
70 x 8

Free-Motion Curls (preachers)
30 x 12 (unilateral)
40 x 10 "
45 x 9 "
30/20/15 drop (bilateral) x 15 x 10 x 15
Notes: These bothered my left supraspinatus a little. Still irritated.

Standing DB Curls (alternating drop for finish)
12.5 x 10, 10 x 8, 5 x 12

Post workout meal: 10 oz. 2 % milk, 6 oz. Chobani yogurt, 2 handfuls frozen berries, 1 scoop ON Gold Standard Whey, and vanilla sweetener, with a big ole slice of chocolate-chip banana bread slathered with coconut oil.

After putting a couple consecutive days together, for the first time in a month, I think things are coming together, and feel like I have some traction. After a major work deliverable early this week, I will have a lot more latitude to do what I need to be doing.

Posterior Upper:

The turtle shell (pardon the zit, lol, from my gal trimming my hair suit from time to time):

Anterior Upper:

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was the weight on the preachers a combined weight or what? Haha if it's the latter looks like you've been handling much more weight on the bicep exercises than before.

Just remember though, it's not the weight handled that will do the magic but the time under tension.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Was the weight on the preachers a combined weight or what? Haha if it's the latter looks like you've been handling much more weight on the bicep exercises than before.

Just remember though, it's not the weight handled that will do the magic but the time under tension.
Thanks Toro. Actually, it's the Free Motion Machine, and that was extremely light weight, and I was doing them unilaterally, but slow deliberate reps with good contractions. I've made a conscious decision to start with reverse curls or hammers going forward, as those help my grip deficits the most. And that reverse-curl weight today was heavier than I've gone in a long while, and they felt great. While I would like a little more shape to my biceps, function and strength are paramount. As I've discussed, I am never going to have great-looking biceps, because of my surgeries (changing the insertions) and just genetics (insertions, length vs. height, and otherwise), and its increasingly unimportant to me. Plus, I suspect that work on the brachialis and forearms may help the aesthetics more in any event.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Toro. Actually, it's the Free Motion Machine, and that was extremely light weight, but slow deliberate reps with good contractions. I've made a conscious decision to start with reverse curls or hammers going forward, as those help my grip deficits the most. And that reverse-curl weight today was heavier than I've gone in a long while, and they felt great. While I would like a little more shape to my biceps, function and strength are paramount. As I've discussed, I am never going to have great-looking biceps, because of my surgeries (changing the insertions) and just genetics (insertions, length vs. height, and otherwise), and its increasingly unimportant to me.
Ah, solid. Thanks for clarifying.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
A couple work outs, a couple hugantic burritos, and some sweets over the weekend, and the glycogen stores are building; I am tipping the scales at 168, 6 lbs higher than the other day. However, I have not yet taken my morning constitutional, which usually drops me a few pounds (and even more when I skip a day, as I may have yesterday), lol. Anyhow, 165 to 170 lbs is where I want to be for now. If I resume leg work, I will need to bump it up another 5-10 lbs, as they grow really fast.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Man, I could use me a breakfast burrito right about now. I've been up all night ... I am WAY too old for this shyte. Stewpid tired. And I prolly will be go, go, going until at least noon, up 30 hours straight. Prolly only ate 1200 calories all of yesterday. Catabolix.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Very thorough introduction. In for the ride brother.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Very thorough introduction. In for the ride brother.
Hey man, that means a whole lot to me, really. I know I wont be the most fun to follow in terms of my lifts, so I hope to compensate some with my wry sense of humor and inimitable wit. ;)

I've been reading your posts and enjoying them. I need to check out your log, biggins. Been a bit overwhelmed, trying to track a handful of people (being new here), on top of being sick and with a ridiculous work deliverable that has had me up for the last 30 hours. But the phoenix always rises ...

Good to have you here brother.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will catch up on your novels for posts in a bit. About to hop on another plane. Either way, here to support a guy with more scar tissue than me.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I will catch up on your novels for posts in a bit. About to hop on another plane. Either way, here to support a guy with more scar tissue than me.
Lol. I prefer homoerotica novella. And yeah, I am a writer, get paid per word, double for multisyllabic.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ended up being up for 43 hours straight -- well, I did take a 30-45 min. nap after being up for 29 hours. Frickin' pooped. Caloric intake for the 2-day period was around 2400 calories, many of which came from a latte with whole egg nog in it (a decadent treat I indulge in during the holiday cheer). When I got home after this, I was only weighing 163, back down from 168, lol. I proceeded to eat a 1/2 a rotisserie chicken and some banana bread, and then crashed. I am hoping I can sleep 3-4 more hours today, so I can train. If not, it will have to wait until tomorrow. It's going to take a few days to catch up. Way too old for this sort of thing.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Holy crap sleep deprivation! I'd be such a baby

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are your thoughts on slin use for powerlifter types?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What are your thoughts on slin use for powerlifter types?
I certainly know some BBs, Olys and PLers that use it, but candidly, there are way better anabolic agents. Slin with hGH is better geared for getting lean and ripped, recommping. At anabolic doses, hGH is terribly expensive and also has some bad sides, including growing your organs and giving you GH gut. It wouldn't be something I would recommend, unless you were needing it for tendon/ligament/injury recovery, and even then, I would not recommend it -- I have never used it, and I have all sort of injury issues. Though I have used peptides a fair bit, with success. A lot more mild, but also not the same deleterious sides.

Sorry, I am not awake yet dude, so this isn't that cogent. But on a final point, I've not looked into hGH all that seriously because I have blood sugar issues because of chronic ortho pain and some issues with my ANS system, so that alone has ruled out hGH, particularly with slin. But no doubt, that can be a powerful combo for a recomp, make no mistake about it.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Today was a bit disconcerting, a back step for sure. I guess it should come as no surprise, coming off of being up for 43 hours straight, and then sleeping only 13 hours the following 2 nights. I am still in severe sleep deficit, and when that happens, inflammation and pain exacerbate. So yeah, my left supraspinatus was screaming for much of the workout, so I listened and modulated accordingly.

HS Wide Bench
+90 x 15
+180 x 10
+270 x 10
+320 x 5 (this is where the salient pain started)
+270 x 8

Reverse-Grip Bench
45 x 10
95 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 4 (aborted; felt terrible)

Dips (1 min. rest b/ bc I was working in w/ a young maniac)
BW x 20
BW x 20
BW x 15

Nautilus Tricep Extension
3 x 12-20

Tricep Rope Pushdowns
3 x 10-15

Nautilus Pec Dec
2 x 15-20

Shoulder Rehab: Internal/External Rotation, low, mid and high
8 sets per side

Called it a wrap. Will hit shoulders on Saturday. Tomorrow will be cardio, reintroduction of some legs, maybe some light squats, and some bunny cardio, assuming I can get in before an afternoon physical that will undoubtedly include a p-spot poke. Argh!

All things considered, I am glad that I just made it in. This was a brutal week. Too old for such zaniness.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No steps back, my man. You know the deal. Ups and downs, nothing to fret over. Though I'm a huge believer that you're allowed to get pissed at the implements during the session.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No steps back, my man. You know the deal. Ups and downs, nothing to fret over. Though I'm a huge believer that you're allowed to get pissed at the implements during the session.
Lol yeah you are.

Looks like a good session to me; plenty of volume, especially on quality exercises like dips & RGBP.

I'd be happy with that session.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sub'd - Great to see you back here Jinxie!!

I've been away a while here myself, popping in now and again. Man I wish I had the motivation you have now, post op. As you know, I had a SLAP repair about a year and a half ago, and now issues in my other shoulder with a new SLAP tear and AC joint issues. I'm not even bench pressing again yet. I guess I should muster up some motivation and get on a new log myself though... I've pretty much just been doing PT twice a week for the past two months, but with holidays around the corner, there's lots of time for me to get my focus back on proper training.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sub'd - Great to see you back here Jinxie!!

I've been away a while here myself, popping in now and again. Man I wish I had the motivation you have now, post op. As you know, I had a SLAP repair about a year and a half ago, and now issues in my other shoulder with a new SLAP tear and AC joint issues. I'm not even bench pressing again yet. I guess I should muster up some motivation and get on a new log myself though... I've pretty much just been doing PT twice a week for the past two months, but with holidays around the corner, there's lots of time for me to get my focus back on proper training.
Yeah buddy! Glad you are here, reunited. Please do start a log. I would love to track you and support your rehab and reintroduction back into a steady regimen that you are fully committed to. FWIW, I go to occupational therapy every single week, and have for the entire year (last year I went 3-5 times per week for 9 months of the year, I kid not), and I also see a physiatrist weekly, for either trigger point injections or medical acupuncture (far different that normal acupuncture). I do everything I can so that I can continue to pursue my passions and be in the best shape that my body allows for, and I hope the same for you.

There seems to be a good group here, though I am new to it, but I bet you can get some good support out of others too. I know you used to put up some pretty good weight on your core lifts, including DLs, squats, etc., and am sure you can get good pointers on form, protecting against re-injury etc.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by, boss. Keep coming back, please. I miss ya. No homo.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So, perhaps another moment of misguided candor, but I got this cool Captain America shirt a few weeks, that I wore out to the bars last night, hanging with one of my boys for a few coldies.. It's not too tight -- not a schmedium but an athletic fit XL -- but fits well. Anyway, three different chicks came up to me, and each expressed sentiments re "wow Captain America. you wear that shirt well. it's hot." But even more flattering, for me at least, was that too different guys came up to me, and one of them was this yolked Southern guy from North Carolina, with a collosal neck. I could tell he was a lifter, and probably a rugby player or college wrestler. Anyhow, we were in the bathroom of the bar, waiting for urinals, and he said, "damn, man, you are a figher, aren't you. i know fighters, have a couple buddies in MMA, and I can see it." I was like how so, and he pointed to some veins in my forearms, and then in my neck, and told me that I had that "wirey, strong, badass look." LMAO, is all I can say, given all my ortho issues. But man, it was really good to hear. I do like being perceived that way, as long as people also know that I am a gentle guy, lol, which I am until you piss me off, lol. And then another guy told me I looked like I "just got out or prison," "etched as hell." That felt good too.

This new 165 lb version of me is new, as my normal weight is 175-180 lbs, but I am really digging it, and it's translating as I want it to, without making it look like I've laid off the weights and conditioning.

So yeah, I am blowing smoke up my own ass, celebrating this incarnation, thus the name of my log. :)

Respect to all for making this a supportive place, that is giving me some additional drive, even if I don't actively participate in talk of PL lifts and what I plan to lift at the next meet. :) Glad to be an audience to that stuff, but don't have much to add ...

A'ight, I will end my novella with this as I know how iparatroop feels about my prolix -- double word score, biotches. Off to the doc for my p-spot poke, lol.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I say you bump up into the 180's again!
That's when you think I am at my sexiest, yeah buddy? I am sure you will get to see it again. It would take all of 8 weeks, lol. When the time is right, and some struggling younger guy needs some inspiration -- or otherwise gets chippy with me like jimbuick , and needs a dose of humility -- I'll do it. Kidding Jim, I love you like my little brother, who I don't really like. ;) I will do it for the team!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
In, late as usual...
Shoot, now I can't make it up as I go along, as I am sure to be called to the mat, lol. Glad to have you here, my man. Hopefully, I can bring something useful to the table for you.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just set up my new iPad Air, so bear with me please.

So, was out shopping today re deferred maintenance stuff, and ended up running way later than anticipated. I knew I was not going to make it to the gym if I first went home. So, decided to go to the gym in my corduroys and flip flops, and just focus on biceps/forearms/wrists and a little core work.

So happens, I have an old-school bicep-bomber device (to keep shoulders out of the movement) that I leave in my car, all the time -- was in my gym bag for a short while, but was abandoned bc i wasn't using it much and it took up a lot of space) Figured I'd give it a shot today, and see how it went. And it went remarkably well, I have to say. Rather than limiting my bicep strength, it greatly enhanced it.

As noted b4, my biceps work (or perhaps better stated wrist/forearm work) is largely rehab for my grip strength, which is impaired meaningfully because of ulnar nerve injuries, bilaterally. The doctors don't believe that there is any permanent injury, i.e., axonal damage. But there are deficits from the impairment and all the scar tissue from my 6 elbow surgeries.

Standing reverse curls (straight bar in the bomber)
45×12
60×10
70 x 10
80 x 8×8

Preacher curls for the catholic gurls (E-Z curl bar)
65x 10
75 x 10
95 x 10
105 x 8

Notes: this is far more than I've done since my elbow surgeries, and it was all relatively easy, with the exception of the 105 set, which still felt good.

Hammer curls (with bomber)
20s x10
25s x 10
30s x 10
40s x 6

Notes: again quite a bit heavier than I've been going, and everything was easy until that set with the 40s, which felt good, just pretty heavy as i was fatigued from reverse curls, among other things.

Concentration curls (In the bomber)
2 x 15s x exhaustion

Abdominal Pulldowns (w/ rope)
3 sets, balls to the wall, heavy.

Notes: with the little ab-specific work i do, this is sure to hurt tomorrow.

Not a session to brag about, but at least I made it in. Hope to do the same tomorrow.

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
subbed

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Arnold Presses
15s 10/10/5
25s 8/8/5
35s 8/8/5 (supraspinatus still injured)

DB Press (to suss things out)
45s x 10 (ouch; let's try OHPs)

OHP
45 x 10
95 x 8 (ouch; done)

Paramount Rear Fly
+50 x 10
+70 x 10
+90 x 10

Upright Rows (pulley)
80 x 10
100 x 10
120 x 8
Notes: Have been avoiding upper trap engagement movements for some time today, but been missing my yoke that once was. Will have to take a pic to show stark contrast after a little conjugal visit.

HeyZeus Cable Crossovers
30s x 10
40s x 10
50s x 7 large grunts

Aromatizing Calf Raises (s/s lateral raises)
+90 x 25
+140 x 20
+210 x 18
+210 x 14

DB Lateral Raises
15s x 10
20s x 10
25s x 10

Aromatizing Hippie Sled
+180 x 10
+270 x 8
+360 x 8
+450 x 6
Notes: It's been months since I worked legs, which explains in part why I backed into leg work. Honestly, I would have just squatted but for fact I always get killer DOMS the first sesh back, and I fly for 9 hours on Tues. morning. Plus, I am a lil pu$$y, as ya'll know by now, lol.

All in all, a good session, including reintroduction of some neglected shoulder and legs movements. Will upload some pics momentarily. Rather ironic that nearly all my shoulder work is rehab oriented, yet I work my chest pretty hard. Genetics, genetics, genetics. Well that and relatively overdeveloped muscles that steal the work -- my shoulders and triceps. If I were a PLer, all would be dandy, I suppose. Yet it still is dandy, dandy enough ... :)

photo 1_opt.jpg
photo 2_opt.jpg

Weight this afternoon (with food in the gut): 166.5

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jinxie, your body is OK with upright rows? I feel like I can wreck my shoulders in two weeks or less just by adding them in. Well, if not wreck, at least add to the prehab drudgery for weeks on end just from five minutes worth of uprights.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Jinxie, your body is OK with upright rows? I feel like I can wreck my shoulders in two weeks or less just by adding them in. Well, if not wreck, at least add to the prehab drudgery for weeks on end just from five minutes worth of uprights.
Yeah, totally. But thats pretty light weight on a pulley. If i do what i used to, around 115 - 135 for reps, it does break me. Up to 105, i am generally okay., but i do feel some strain around the a/c joints. However, i do these very strictly, with uber scap retraction.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, totally. But thats pretty light weight on a pulley. If i do what i used to, around 115 - 135 for reps, it does break me. Up to 105, i am generally okay., but i do feel some strain around the a/c joints. However, i do these very strictly, with uber scap retraction.
That's right where I feel it. Perhaps I lose focus on the retraction or never thought about it for that particular movement. Sometimes when I do my assistance stuff, I kind of throw out the rules of organizing the shoulders, hips, core, whatever may be the case, and just do what hits the muscle I'm trying to work.