The High-Jinx Log: Celebrations of My Reincarnations

Page 3 of 12 First 123458 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    Fwiw, I can't say the OHPs hurt meaningfully more than the seated DB presses. I was already somewhat fatigued from the Arnold Presses. I usually go up to around 45 or so on those, but even 35s is a fair amount of weight if done strictly 8/8/5 with flyes, as I do them.However, I generally concur with @jimbuick and @napalm. Though I am quite relatively strong on OHPs, when I get to 155+ (even though 135 x 10 is no problem), things start to hurt across clavicle and a/c joints moreso than heavy seated DB presses.As a matter of further background, I have had 7 shoulder surgeries. Bilateral distal clavicular excision with subacromial decompression. Bilateral labral repairs and RC debridement. Bilateral biceps tenodesis, along with further labral repairs and acromplasty. And then a corrective tenodesis after a full rupture, one week post surgery. So at this juncture, I am pretty dialed in on what I can and can't do, and what's causing the pain. YMMV.Appreciate the input. Just a friendly reminder, I would like to keep my log a civil place, though spirited debate is promoted, and I thank you each for your valuable input.Happy Thanksgiving all!

Happy thanksgiving man!

You've definitely had more work (surgeries) done than I have had, perhaps I'm being too cautious by not going overhead anymore. I hope you don't mind me picking apart your routine and asking questions and such like above. Trying to learn, since I'm in a similar situation atm, and doubt I'll be starting up a log anytime soon. I'm pretty far back in my training, it would be like a PT training log pretty much, don't think that will get much involvement here, so I'll just follow along yours and try some of the things that you're trying I think, for now.

I've had the labral repair in my left shoulder, subacromial decompression and bicep tenodesis. Right shoulder has mild AC joint arthritis and an unrepaired SLAP tear. Only the right AC joint is causing me issues at times but structurally it's not requiring surgery. I'm getting no pain deep in the side delt on that shoulder or in front, where the bicep tendon attaches, so there's no need for surgery on that side yet.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Happy thanksgiving man!You've definitely had more work (surgeries) done than I have had, perhaps I'm being too cautious by not going overhead anymore. I hope you don't mind me picking apart your routine and asking questions and such like above. Trying to learn, since I'm in a similar situation atm, and doubt I'll be starting up a log anytime soon. I'm pretty far back in my training, it would be like a PT training log pretty much, don't think that will get much involvement here, so I'll just follow along yours and try some of the things that you're trying I think, for now.I've had the labral repair in my left shoulder, subacromial decompression and bicep tenodesis. Right shoulder has mild AC joint arthritis and an unrepaired SLAP tear. Only the right AC joint is causing me issues at times but structurally it's not requiring surgery. I'm getting no pain deep in the side delt on that shoulder or in front, where the bicep tendon attaches, so there's no need for surgery on that side yet.
    Glad to help, E dawg. And you have my correct phone number, bud. I was traveling when you left me a text. Fwiw, i never trained OHPs with any regularity whatsoever, and exactly one year after bilateral SLAP repairs and 3 biceps tendonsis, and 5 months post bilateral epicondylectomies (medial side) and a lateral elbow suture tack and release, and I hit 175 lbs on OHP after a fair amount of work. While I did not injure myself, I did conclude that heavy OHP work is not worth how it leaves me feeling -- chronically in pain -- despite the fact that it renders me yoked as fawked. It's too bad, as I otherwise would be good for a 225+ lbs OHP. In my 20s, I could rep 225 lbs on a seated press for sets of 6-8. But those days are long past me since being diagnosed with a connective tissue disorder.Please know, none of this is bragging, just trying to illuminate things to assist you.Don't know if you celebrate Turkey Day, but if so, have a good one.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I started powerlifting just over 2 years back, so my main lifts were bench, deadlift, squat and standing OH press. The standing OHP and bench days were my favorite, but now I can't do either...at least not yet. When I started powerlifting, it really started cleaning up my form, all around. The standing OHP really helped me lock in my core, and to get used to engaging it during big lifts, and keeping it (or trying to keep it) neutral. It also made my traps explode after I started doing them. If you're doing seated OHP, you should try them standing - you'll definitely get more out of the movement that way - pushing your head forward 'through the window' so to speak, really engages the traps at the top. Not sure if you're doing this or seated OHP, but yeah...I really miss doing these, cleans, clean and press, etc. I just want to start training with barbells again period. Oh well, one day again!

Yeah I'm Canadian and Thanksgiving has passed up there already, but I've been in NYC for 7 years now, so I consider myself a New Yorker now and I live by all the US holidays at this point.

Btw, those numbers are great. In all the times we've spoken in the past about our medical stuff, I never really knew you were into powerlifting for some reason. I know I'm mainly in for a life of volume training now. I'm just happy to be training again. I don't know how people like Wendler have these types of surgeries and then continue on with their powerlifting careers.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Semantics/pedantics alert: OHPs are always standing with a barbell, unless expressly stated otherwise, i.e., DB OHPs. And they are seated DB or BB presses, and if behind the neck, it's a BTNP.

And yeah, I knew you were Canadian mate, which is why I asked if you were gonna celebrate.

As for how the other guys do it, it is because they want it. You can do it too man. My surgeries aren't holding me back, it is my connective tissue syndrome, which means that my tendons will tear again under heavy loads, and even sooner if close to maximal efforts. I was putting up some really good weight last summer, all things considered, just a few months after my 3 shoulder/biceps surgeries.
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Since you're on TRT, have you thought about cruising on a low dose of EQ to counter your connective tissue disease? I've done this with great results the past year, until I stupidly fell asleep (drunk) on my shoulder, with my arm overhead all night. Woke up with major AC joint pain and impingement, took two months to get rid of that. Hematocrit wasn't an issue on a low dose.

Btw, what is the name of the issue with your connective tissue? You don't have rheumatoid arthritis do you? I knew about the CNS issue, but not about your connective tissue disease.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Since you're on TRT, have you thought about cruising on a low dose of EQ to counter your connective tissue disease? I've done this with great results the past year, until I stupidly fell asleep (drunk) on my shoulder, with my arm overhead all night. Woke up with major AC joint pain and impingement, took two months to get rid of that. Hematocrit wasn't an issue on a low dose.

Btw, what is the name of the issue with your connective tissue? You don't have rheumatoid arthritis do you? I knew about the CNS issue, but not about your connective tissue disease.
    Nope. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Type I, classical form. No consideration of EQ, tren, etc. Perhaps hGH, but only if scripted, which could happen as my doc raised it and GHB at my last appt. But alas, my ANS issues cause blood-sugar issues, so hGH may not be a good fit. I take berberine despite the deleterious impacts on protein synthesis.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Nope. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Type I, classical form. No consideration of EQ, tren, etc. Perhaps hGH, but only if scripted, which could happen as my doc raised it and GHB at my last appt. But alas, my ANS issues cause blood-sugar issues, so hGH may not be a good fit. I take berberine despite the deleterious impacts on protein synthesis.
    Yeah I would never touch tren, let alone cruise on it. Horrible stuff. Anything progestin based is just nasty (deca is horrible as well). EQ on the other hand is very mild in my experience, very safe, and boosts collagen synthesis over 340%. From my research, it has even less potential sides than hGH. No carpel tunnel-like issues, no water retention, no blood sugar issues. Great for joints, mood, energy and sex drive/function - which makes sense since it's DHT based. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching haha..but yeah, it was a great experience for myself with little to no sides at all, and I cruised on it for 8 months at various dosages.

I just looked up berberine, it's main use is for heart issues?

On the topic of collagen and inflammation, have you ever tried a paleo diet or similar, to control inflammation?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

I wouldn't worry about berberine. Forskolin can trigger the AMPK cascade and has studies showing lean muscle mass.

Edit: worry about blocking protein synthesis that is. I'm a fan.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

It's also fairly easy to get injectable AMP, and legally. Great stuff.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah, not masteron eligible here, on finasteride for vanity and to keep the prostate toned.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

You mean boldenone/equipose right? I've taken masteron for a long time as well, but not for joints. I actually took masteron and equipose together for a very long time at a lowish dose. It was amazing on my joints, energy, sex drive, vascularity, etc. Didn't have any shedding, used Nizoral 2% daily. Also had no prostate issues. From what I've read, E2 is the main offender on the prostate.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

You mean boldenone/equipose right? I've taken masteron for a long time as well, but not for joints. I actually took masteron and equipose together for a very long time at a lowish dose. It was amazing on my joints, energy, sex drive, vascularity, etc. Didn't have any shedding, used Nizoral 2% daily. Also had no prostate issues. From what I've read, E2 is the main offender on the prostate.
    While I appreciate your input, I am uninterested in gear and would rather not discuss such matters in my log, beyond my TRT regimen (80 mgs test cyp E4Ds) or when I am soliciting recommendations re tweaking my protocol.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Alright boss, well I wish you well in your log/progress. Doesn't look like I can be of any help in here, as you seem to know what you're doing.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Answers

While I appreciate your input, I am uninterested in gear and would rather not discuss such matters in my log, beyond my TRT regimen (80 mgs test cyp E4Ds) or when I am soliciting recommendations re tweaking my protocol.
    I think I am going to blast L-tryptophan today, and cruise on butter and gravy for the rest of the week.
    任重道远
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

T-day workout:

Reverse BB Curls
    45 x 10
    60 x 10
    80 x 8
    90 x 6

Standing Preacher Curls (these were WAY harder than the seated ones at my gym, partly because of angle and height)
    55 x 10
    75 x 10
    95 x 8

Hammer Curls
    20s x 10
    30s x 10
    40s x 10
    45s x 8

Concentration Curls
    3 x 10-15

Seated Calf Raises
    +90 x 25
    +115 x 22
    +135 x 18
    +135 x 13

Pulley Crunches
    3 x 12-15

Serratus Cable Pullovers
    3 x 10
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Nice work jinxie, I've been doing a lot of calf raises in PT. They're gonna have to be worked into my shyt on a perm basis...
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Have to say, equipoise seems to have all the best qualities of Deca and D-Bol, without the bad. It is a good recommendation. My doc, a sports ortho, once discussed Deca with me, though in the end, he decided against. I assume he would feel similarly about this. But I do appreciate it, GP. And I am totally into discussing such matters over in the other forums. Thanks bud.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

This was one of those days that I knew was going to suck and I would be grinning and bearing it. Not to make excuses, but pardon me, I will. I've been sleeping on this fine mattress, albeit a firm one, a very firm one. The kind of firm that makes you flinch. In discomfort. I've awakened to elbow tendonitis the last two days. I am sure packing my suitcase and moving from place to place, driving all over creation, not sleeping enough, has not assisted matters. Nor the 3-4 drinks every night. In any event, my elbow was griping when I entered the gym and screaming on the way out. Every. Single. Rep. Hurt.

Reverse-grip Bench (one second pauses on all reps at 185+)
    45 x 10
    95 x 10
    135 x 8
    165 x 8
    185 x 6
    205 x 4
    225 x 3
    205 x 2 (Dad decides he wants a friend to talk to in the middle of my set. After 2 minutes with second headset inserted he finally leaves me be, lol.)
    185 x 6

HS Vertical ISO-lateral (one second pause on all reps at 230+)
    +145 x 10
    +180 x 10
    + 230 x 6
    +250 x 6
    +270 x 5

Dips
    BW x 20
    BW x 18 (Dad and girlfriend show up. She's impressed for whatever reason, maybe it's the painful groans, predictably expelled with every rep. Dad just wants to go. We have already been here for 45 minutes, 10 minutes of which was spent chatting with me, with Soundgarden et al blaring in the foreground.)
    BW x 15 (feign walking out with them, and run back for a burnout set.)
    BW x 12

24 oz. rare BBQ'd Porterhouse, 'nuff said.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

lol @ your 205 set and your dad. Cool your old man wanted to lift with you though.

Good job pushing through
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Answers

This was one of those days that I knew was going to suck and I would be grinning and bearing it. Not to make excuses, but pardon me, I will. I've been sleeping on this fine mattress, albeit a firm one, a very firm one. The kind of firm that makes you flinch. In discomfort. I've awakened to elbow tendonitis the last two days. I am sure packing my suitcase and moving from place to place, driving all over creation, not sleeping enough, has not assisted matters. Nor the 3-4 drinks every night. In any event, my elbow was griping when I entered the gym and screaming on the way out. Every. Single. Rep. Hurt.

Reverse-grip Bench (one second pauses on all reps at 185+)
    45 x 10
    95 x 10
    135 x 8
    165 x 8
    185 x 6
    205 x 4
    225 x 3
    205 x 2 (Dad decides he wants a friend to talk to in the middle of my set. After 2 minutes with second headset inserted he finally leaves me be, lol.)
    185 x 6

HS Vertical ISO-lateral (one second pause on all reps at 230+)
    +145 x 10
    +180 x 10
    + 230 x 6
    +250 x 6
    +270 x 5

Dips
    BW x 20
    BW x 18 (Dad and girlfriend show up. She's impressed for whatever reason, maybe it's the painful groans, predictably expelled with every rep. Dad just wants to go. We have already been here for 45 minutes, 10 minutes of which was spent chatting with me, with Soundgarden et al blaring in the foreground.)
    BW x 15 (feign walking out with them, and run back for a burnout set.)
    BW x 12

24 oz. rare BBQ'd Porterhouse, 'nuff said.
    Porterhouse.... nom nom nom....
    任重道远
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I need to try Reverse-grip Bench out.
    This log is the first time I've heard mention of it. Been missing the bench press.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

I need to try Reverse-grip Bench out. This log is the first time I've heard mention of it. Been missing the bench press.
    Shít is definetly different. I think I've only done it once. Jinxie is def a strong reverse grip presser.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

I am horrendous at RG bench
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Shít is definetly different. I think I've only done it once. Jinxie is def a strong reverse grip presser.
    If it gets me benching again, I'll be happy haha. I can't even do heavy flies anymore
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

If it gets me benching again, I'll be happy haha. I can't even do heavy flies anymore
    Movement, properly performed, requires extreme scap retraction, and elbows inward, so it is perfect for me, with my shoulder and elbow issues, and likely you too. If you have a strong incline and CGBP, as I do (relatively), this lift should progress nicely with work and patience. If you video, I can give pointers. Start light and get used to bar placement across heel of hand at an angle, with extreme wrist flexion -- not an issue for me as I am hyper-mobile.

Heavy flies are a shoulder mutilator, for the predisposed.
  26. Registered User
    Answers

Subbed just because.
    Squats do a booty good.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gokix811 View Post
    Subbed just because.
    With a back that looks like that, and a slogan that says, "Squats do a booty good," you are most welcome here.

I saw your 185 lbs deadlift. Not shabby at all. Keep up the good work.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gokix811 View Post
    Subbed just because.
    Liar, we know it's because of the jinx noods.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Liar, we know it's because of the jinx noods.
    He's the only one in our group with no belly!
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Diversification of the group. Very important.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  31. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Do I have a belly?
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Do I have a belly?
    Post a pic!
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Yes, but i am also the only guy who worships your belly button, lint and all.

My belly has shrunk further brother. I need to get my post holiday bearings, but I will post some nekids in a few days. It seems I've experienced a metabolic shift as I did not gain a single pound over my one-week vacation, despite a lot of rich carby food, including cuban several times, a steak house, a place called Swine (effin yum), a 24 ounce BBQd porterhouse, among other treats. 165 lbs lean, biotches. Small but mighty.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Answers

Post a pic!
    I'd rather see Gokix booty, thanks. I like me some Asian pork bun. (My gal is Chinese, so please take no offense.)
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Answers

Ouch. Either you just said I have a belly or I can't be part of your group. Devastating.
  36. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    Ouch. Either you just said I have a belly or I can't be part of your group. Devastating.
    That's where I'm at....
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    You're in the group. I think Toro, Herder, and myself are the only chunky monkeys. Jim is on his way, and might be there already!
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  177 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    That's where I'm at....
    It's ok. I'm a one man wolf pack now.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Herder said it, we're a diverse group of gentlmen. You two and Jinxie can be in the good lookin part of it
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  40. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Post a pic!

Name:  ForumRunner_20131205_204042.png
Views: 16
Size:  396.6 KB
    BPS Rep
    www.bpsnutrition.net

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 203
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM
  2. The End of My AAS Usage
    By ironviking in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 09:44 AM
  3. The begining of my BB experience
    By tommy36p in forum Pics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 05:18 PM
  4. clen/t3 at begining of my cycle or at the end?
    By acecombact1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 11:56 PM