Stronger Than the Day Before

Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last

  1. BENCH!

    Raining PRs up in this piece.

    WARMUP:

    Band pull aparts
    Pushups

    WORKING SETS:

    205 X 3
    6 Chinups
    225 X 2
    6 Chinups
    245 X 1
    260 X 1 - PR
    250 X 2 - PR
    235 X 2
    6 Chinups
    225 X 3
    235 X 2
    6 Chinups
    235 X 3
    5 Chinups
    225 X 1 - Paused
    225 X 1 - Paused
    185 X 12
    6 Chinups


    Went a little easier today overall, and smashed PRs. Never ever doubled 250, and it felt great. So far, I am quite happy with my program's results on my bench. It hasn't moved like this in a year.
    任重道远


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrius View Post
    Thanks man. As I sit here and eat my PB&J, I realize how little I am looking forward to my next cut. Oh well. Got another month of maintenance... which for me almost means eating whatever I want. For those interested, when I do my cutting microcycles, I do NOT count macros. I cut out carbs at dinner for the first week, then I cut out the carbs at dinner and lunch for the next three weeks. I eat all of my carbs (aside from some in a PW shake) at breakfast, and keep everything else clean - cook with coconut oil, eat chicken and lean beef (sirloin or 90% lean ground or better - used to be able to find some 97% lean near me which was awesome), and lots of veggies. I eat 3 whole eggs every morning with two pieces of whole grain toast, though during my cut I cut it down to two eggs just to find another place to cut calories from. I also stop drinking, and stop snacking after 10 am. Seems to work okay, though I'm not sure how much fat and how much muscle I am losing; I didn't lose strength after I lost 13 pounds or so last time, so this time we'll see.
    I like this. POWERBUILDER myself. I compete as a poweifter but train as a BB. Btw, sub'd.
    Lets Say you do everything that you are supposed to do. You check all the boxes. You Believe, you prepare, you work, you fight, and you know your why, and Life still catches you on your blindside..... Just remember Failure Is Never Final !!!!
    •   
       


  3. Congrats on the rep PR
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by HokiePride View Post
    I like this. POWERBUILDER myself. I compete as a poweifter but train as a BB. Btw, sub'd.
    Thanks! Powerbuilding was always a cool concept imo. I do a somewhat powerbuilding style training regimen on my less heavy cycles - usually train the main movement for 3-6 reps for 4 or 5 sets and then do accessory exercises in the 8-12 rep range, unless the accessories are also heavy movements - good mornings, barbell rows, etc. Then I'll hang out in the 4-8 rep range. Thanks for the sub! I'll be changing back to my normal training style in a couple weeks.
    任重道远

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Congrats on the rep PR
    Thanks! Looking to set a heavy rep PR on skwatz soon, maybe Monday or Wednesday.
    任重道远
    •   
       


  6. Dig the style. Totally like mine, when i am lifting heavier. I like volume, flourish on it.

    And nice PRs. That feels good.

    I think we need to catch that chest up to them thighs, buddy! You got some thunder down under, for sure.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate

  7. Nice PRs brother!
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  8. Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    Dig the style. Totally like mine, when i am lifting heavier. I like volume, flourish on it.

    And nice PRs. That feels good.

    I think we need to catch that chest up to them thighs, buddy! You got some thunder down under, for sure.
    The chest, arms, and midsection in general visually and musculature-wise definitely lag behind my legs and posterior chain. That having been said, those photos are also really bad lol. I'll be working on my weaker spots after this volume cycle. IT's also one of the reasons I am doing chins and not pullups - back thickness and upper-arm building!

    Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Nice PRs brother!
    Thanks dude! It's been a long time coming on the bench. I finally feel like a 300 lb. bench won't be out of the question for me.

    My deadlift has really been the only lift that consistently progresses - by leaps and bounds month to month. So I finally decided to say, "screw it!" and apply what works for my deadlift - lots of sets at low reps or for heavy singles - to my other lifts, because they didn't seem to be moving. And then an amazing thing happened - I started seeing progress on my bench press and squats. Who'dathunk?

    Anyway, today is recipe day:

    Delicious Low-Fat Burgers (Low Carb Optional)

    1 pound 97% lean ground beef (or sirloin)
    1 Onion
    Vegetable Fixin's (I like sauerkraut and arugula, sauerkraut adds good moisture, arugula is peppery and slightly bitter)
    Ketchup
    Mustard
    Worcestershire Sauce
    Soy Sauce
    Cracked Black Pepper (Don't be a bum! - 1000 cool points to anyone that gets this reference)
    Garlic Powder (not salt!)
    Onion Powder (not salt!)

    I've used this recipe dozens of times to make delicious, low-fat burgers that are still moist. The trick is on the inside...

    Put a seasoned cast iron or a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.

    Combine ground beef, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and seasonings in a bowl. I eyeball it - you want a mixture that is moist but not wet or else the beef won't bind well - and separate into four 1/4 pound patties. If you're bad at eyeballing seasoning, a tblspn. each of the wet ingredients and a tsp. each of the dry ingredients should do. DO NOT ADD EXTRA SALT! They will be plenty seasoned from the wet ingredients. My girlfriend always wants to do this and it drives me bonkers

    Once you have your patties, put no more than two at a time in the pan to cook. "But dimi, where will the fat drain off to?" You may ask. THEY'RE 97% LEAN! That means each burger should have roughly 12 grams of fat - let the fat hang out and do its thang man!

    The reason for the no more than two at a time rule: one, the pan will be cooled and you will not get as even and nice a caramelization; two, these burgers are WET with ingredients - they will give off a lot of moisture as they cook, and water is also the enemy of caramelization. If you have a pool of water in the pan, your burgers will be grey.

    Once they are done cooking to the temp you like, remove from the pan. A good way to test doneness (although by no means foolproof) is to poke the burger with your finger and rate it according to this trick:

    Touch your thumb to your forefinger, and then use your opposite hand to poke the pad of flesh under your thumb. If the burger has the same amount of give, it's medium rare. If you do the same thing, only instead you touch your thumb to your middle finger first, the pad under your thumb should feel like a medium-cooked cut of meat. Ringfinger = medium well, and pinky = well.

    Obviously, there ain't much to it after that. Let the burgers rest (remember, they keep cooking for a couple minutes after you take them from the pan, so make sure you take them out *slightly* underdone). While they rest, toast off a bun, or if you're doing the low-carb thang, take some nice bib lettuce or a similar soft and flexible kind of lettuce (butter lettuce works well) and wrap your burger. If you want some crispiness, you can use romaine or leaf lettuce, but they'll be harder to wrap unless you use the upper green portion of the lettuce. Then eat it, and thank me later.
    任重道远

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrius View Post
    The chest, arms, and midsection in general visually and musculature-wise definitely lag behind my legs and posterior chain. That having been said, those photos are also really bad lol. I'll be working on my weaker spots after this volume cycle. IT's also one of the reasons I am doing chins and not pullups - back thickness and upper-arm building!
    I wasn't commenting on any pics, other than your gargantuan thighs in your avatar. If you think you have some asymmetry development wise, i have a good eye in that regard and would be glad to share feedback. No nekids, no homo, lol.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrius View Post

    Anyway, today is recipe day:

    Delicious Low-Fat Burgers (Low Carb Optional)

    1 pound 97% lean ground beef (or sirloin)
    1 Onion
    Vegetable Fixin's (I like sauerkraut and arugula, sauerkraut adds good moisture, arugula is peppery and slightly bitter)
    Ketchup
    Mustard
    Worcestershire Sauce
    Soy Sauce
    Cracked Black Pepper (Don't be a bum! - 1000 cool points to anyone that gets this reference)
    Garlic Powder (not salt!)
    Onion Powder (not salt!)

    I've used this recipe dozens of times to make delicious, low-fat burgers that are still moist. The trick is on the inside...

    Put a seasoned cast iron or a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.

    Combine ground beef, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and seasonings in a bowl. I eyeball it - you want a mixture that is moist but not wet or else the beef won't bind well - and separate into four 1/4 pound patties. If you're bad at eyeballing seasoning, a tblspn. each of the wet ingredients and a tsp. each of the dry ingredients should do. DO NOT ADD EXTRA SALT! They will be plenty seasoned from the wet ingredients. My girlfriend always wants to do this and it drives me bonkers

    Once you have your patties, put no more than two at a time in the pan to cook. "But dimi, where will the fat drain off to?" You may ask. THEY'RE 97% LEAN! That means each burger should have roughly 12 grams of fat - let the fat hang out and do its thang man!

    The reason for the no more than two at a time rule: one, the pan will be cooled and you will not get as even and nice a caramelization; two, these burgers are WET with ingredients - they will give off a lot of moisture as they cook, and water is also the enemy of caramelization. If you have a pool of water in the pan, your burgers will be grey.

    Once they are done cooking to the temp you like, remove from the pan. A good way to test doneness (although by no means foolproof) is to poke the burger with your finger and rate it according to this trick:

    Touch your thumb to your forefinger, and then use your opposite hand to poke the pad of flesh under your thumb. If the burger has the same amount of give, it's medium rare. If you do the same thing, only instead you touch your thumb to your middle finger first, the pad under your thumb should feel like a medium-cooked cut of meat. Ringfinger = medium well, and pinky = well.

    Obviously, there ain't much to it after that. Let the burgers rest (remember, they keep cooking for a couple minutes after you take them from the pan, so make sure you take them out *slightly* underdone). While they rest, toast off a bun, or if you're doing the low-carb thang, take some nice bib lettuce or a similar soft and flexible kind of lettuce (butter lettuce works well) and wrap your burger. If you want some crispiness, you can use romaine or leaf lettuce, but they'll be harder to wrap unless you use the upper green portion of the lettuce. Then eat it, and thank me later.
    CANNOT LIE extremely similar method but never added in soy or tried sauerkraut. Always been a jalapeno, green pepper, and onion. I gotta switch things on up lol

    Cant even say if ive ever had arugula on purpose
    Current Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/291581-officially-chasing-abs.html#post5714196

  11. Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    I wasn't commenting on any pics, other than your gargantuan thighs in your avatar. If you think you have some asymmetry development wise, i have a good eye in that regard and would be glad to share feedback. No nekids, no homo, lol.
    Oh, dude, I KNOW I have an unbalanced physique. Not too worried about it though. As long as I can have sex without wheezing and don't feel like a fat **** then the only thing that truly matters for me is pounds on the total. Being cut up and balanced will be a nice thing to have once I get my first comp out of the way and dedicate some time to a good cut so I can bulk a little more cleanly than I have in the past. I eventually want to lift in the 220s, but before I do I want to feel strong enough to do so (1300 pound plus total).

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
    CANNOT LIE extremely similar method but never added in soy or tried sauerkraut. Always been a jalapeno, green pepper, and onion. I gotta switch things on up lol

    Cant even say if ive ever had arugula on purpose
    See, I grew up with Polish, German, and Irish food, so sauerkraut is where it's at for me. I do love me some pickled jalapenos though. And arugula, while being kind of a "hipster" green currently, is just really effin' good - no two ways about it. I'd almost rather have an arugula salad than a spinach salad, and I'd take either or a shot to the kneecap over iceberg. Kale's good too, but I much prefer it baked into chips. That'll be my next recipe actually - my girlfriend and I made some really tasty kale chips a few weeks ago.
    任重道远

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrius View Post
    Oh, dude, I KNOW I have an unbalanced physique. Not too worried about it though. As long as I can have sex without wheezing and don't feel like a fat **** then the only thing that truly matters for me is pounds on the total. Being cut up and balanced will be a nice thing to have once I get my first comp out of the way and dedicate some time to a good cut so I can bulk a little more cleanly than I have in the past. I eventually want to lift in the 220s, but before I do I want to feel strong enough to do so (1300 pound plus total).
    Heard loudly and clearly. My only caveat to that would be that once you become highly imbalanced it becomes harder to correct. But I am not talking upper/lower imbalance, but rather shoulders/triceps vs. chest, and the like. The dominant muscle will increasingly steal the work, which can create deficits. A very common one, that I suffered from for the longest, is overly developed upper traps, and consequential underdeveloped mid and lower traps, which can set you up for serious injury as it really gets in the way of proper scap retraction. But I am telling you stuff I am sure you already know, so I will shut up.

    FWIW, I just addressed this point in my log, re my dominant muscles, and I will leave the topic at that.

    Your goals and aspirations sound solid to me. Keep up the good work, dude.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate



  13. 135 X 4
    225 X 4
    275 X 4
    315 X 3
    345 X 2
    365 X 2
    385 X 1
    405 X 1
    415 X 1

    This was a good day. I know the bar came forward. I know that I lost tightness and my arch. But that was a 30 pound ****ing PR.
    任重道远

  14. Haha you said what I was gonna. Nice PR man. I know you lost form but you went low as **** on that! Haha congrats
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  15. Not a big fan of the song choice, lol, but nice PR. You definitely had the depth.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate

  16. Cover that mirror and don't sit too far back and you're a 450lb squatter today. Definitely can see all of your deadlift strength showing on that squat. Congrats on the PR, you've got a lot more where that came from.

    Good log up in here!
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  17. Last day in the gym until Sunday, so I deadlifted again. Oh ****-edy well.

    Bench:

    225 X 5
    8 chinups
    250 X 2
    6 chinups
    245 X 2
    240 X 2
    5 chinups
    235 X 2
    5 Chinups
    240 X 1
    225 X 3
    6 Chinups
    235 X 2
    6 Chinups
    225 X 3
    5 Chinups

    Deadlifts

    405 X 1
    455 X 1
    485 X 1 - Miss
    475 X 1
    455 X 1
    405 X 3

    PWO Meal:

    Name:  dinner.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  173.5 KB
    任重道远

  18. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Cover that mirror and don't sit too far back and you're a 450lb squatter today. Definitely can see all of your deadlift strength showing on that squat. Congrats on the PR, you've got a lot more where that came from.

    Good log up in here!

    Thanks! appreciate the tips and you stopping by. Out of curiosity, what about the way I squatted was affected by the mirror? I'm trying to get to a place that doesn't have one; in a few months I'll be able to afford a basement gym, actually. Gonna buy a nice rack, a GHR/Reverse Hyper combo, a glute-ham raise, a couple of bars, some more weight, and I'll be set. Until then, I'd like to work on fixing whatever problems mirrors have given me. I usually stare myself in the eyes as a challenge to try and ignore everything else going on.
    任重道远

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrius View Post

    Thanks! appreciate the tips and you stopping by. Out of curiosity, what about the way I squatted was affected by the mirror? I'm trying to get to a place that doesn't have one; in a few months I'll be able to afford a basement gym, actually. Gonna buy a nice rack, a GHR/Reverse Hyper combo, a glute-ham raise, a couple of bars, some more weight, and I'll be set. Until then, I'd like to work on fixing whatever problems mirrors have given me. I usually stare myself in the eyes as a challenge to try and ignore everything else going on.
    When you squat into a mirror, your butt rises before your chest instead of simultaneously with your chest. The result is that you end up having to GM it up. Happens all the time, I don't know why, but it does.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  20. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

    When you squat into a mirror, your butt rises before your chest instead of simultaneously with your chest. The result is that you end up having to GM it up. Happens all the time, I don't know why, but it does.
    Interesting. Never heard that. I believe it to be true.

    To add, it is easy to gauge depth consistently on a fixed object. Such as at a competition you fix on a still object.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  21. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post

    Interesting. Never heard that. I believe it to be true.

    To add, it is easy to gauge depth consistently on a fixed object. Such as at a competition you fix on a still object.
    The easiest way to gauge depth is to simply squat to depth every time. Then when it's meet time, you just go up and squat how you always squat, and everything will be alright. Film your sets, have people call you up, bottom out every time, whatever works for you.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  22. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    The easiest way to gauge depth is to simply squat to depth every time. Then when it's meet time, you just go up and squat how you always squat, and everything will be alright. Film your sets, have people call you up, bottom out every time, whatever works for you.
    This!! Well said, Dude. The only thing I gauge my depth is video evidence and "oh fück I think I'm too deep" (which actually means that I just broke parallel)
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

    The easiest way to gauge depth is to simply squat to depth every time. Then when it's meet time, you just go up and squat how you always squat, and everything will be alright. Film your sets, have people call you up, bottom out every time, whatever works for you.
    I meant more than just up and down depth(leaning forward on a top set for example) But definitely agree.

    Edit: original post should have said "depth perception to be clear
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

    This!! Well said, Dude. The only thing I gauge my depth is video evidence and "oh fück I think I'm too deep" (which actually means that I just broke parallel)
    This is usually how it works for me too lol
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  25. Sean, I can tell already you're totally going to abuse your fúcking privelige and ruin it for everyone!

    Rob, I'm not sure what you mean about gauging the lean by where you look. Could you elaborate?
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 1 arm DB bent over row: one side stronger than the other
    By AutoKal47 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 01:07 PM
  2. Testabolan v2 is back...and stronger than before.
    By VaughnTrue in forum I-Force Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2011, 09:34 PM
  3. Is it bad to drink the day before you lift
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 09:07 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 03:23 PM
  5. Funny Steroid Question of the Day....
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Log in
Log in