Stronger Than the Day Before

Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

Dig the style. Totally like mine, when i am lifting heavier. I like volume, flourish on it.

And nice PRs. That feels good.

I think we need to catch that chest up to them thighs, buddy! You got some thunder down under, for sure.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Nice PRs brother!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    Dig the style. Totally like mine, when i am lifting heavier. I like volume, flourish on it.

And nice PRs. That feels good.

I think we need to catch that chest up to them thighs, buddy! You got some thunder down under, for sure.
    The chest, arms, and midsection in general visually and musculature-wise definitely lag behind my legs and posterior chain. That having been said, those photos are also really bad lol. I'll be working on my weaker spots after this volume cycle. IT's also one of the reasons I am doing chins and not pullups - back thickness and upper-arm building!

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Nice PRs brother!
    Thanks dude! It's been a long time coming on the bench. I finally feel like a 300 lb. bench won't be out of the question for me.

My deadlift has really been the only lift that consistently progresses - by leaps and bounds month to month. So I finally decided to say, "screw it!" and apply what works for my deadlift - lots of sets at low reps or for heavy singles - to my other lifts, because they didn't seem to be moving. And then an amazing thing happened - I started seeing progress on my bench press and squats. Who'dathunk?

Anyway, today is recipe day:

Delicious Low-Fat Burgers (Low Carb Optional)

1 pound 97% lean ground beef (or sirloin)
    1 Onion
    Vegetable Fixin's (I like sauerkraut and arugula, sauerkraut adds good moisture, arugula is peppery and slightly bitter)
    Ketchup
    Mustard
    Worcestershire Sauce
    Soy Sauce
    Cracked Black Pepper (Don't be a bum! - 1000 cool points to anyone that gets this reference)
    Garlic Powder (not salt!)
    Onion Powder (not salt!)

I've used this recipe dozens of times to make delicious, low-fat burgers that are still moist. The trick is on the inside...

Put a seasoned cast iron or a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.

Combine ground beef, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and seasonings in a bowl. I eyeball it - you want a mixture that is moist but not wet or else the beef won't bind well - and separate into four 1/4 pound patties. If you're bad at eyeballing seasoning, a tblspn. each of the wet ingredients and a tsp. each of the dry ingredients should do. DO NOT ADD EXTRA SALT! They will be plenty seasoned from the wet ingredients. My girlfriend always wants to do this and it drives me bonkers

Once you have your patties, put no more than two at a time in the pan to cook. "But dimi, where will the fat drain off to?" You may ask. THEY'RE 97% LEAN! That means each burger should have roughly 12 grams of fat - let the fat hang out and do its thang man!

The reason for the no more than two at a time rule: one, the pan will be cooled and you will not get as even and nice a caramelization; two, these burgers are WET with ingredients - they will give off a lot of moisture as they cook, and water is also the enemy of caramelization. If you have a pool of water in the pan, your burgers will be grey.

Once they are done cooking to the temp you like, remove from the pan. A good way to test doneness (although by no means foolproof) is to poke the burger with your finger and rate it according to this trick:

Touch your thumb to your forefinger, and then use your opposite hand to poke the pad of flesh under your thumb. If the burger has the same amount of give, it's medium rare. If you do the same thing, only instead you touch your thumb to your middle finger first, the pad under your thumb should feel like a medium-cooked cut of meat. Ringfinger = medium well, and pinky = well.

Obviously, there ain't much to it after that. Let the burgers rest (remember, they keep cooking for a couple minutes after you take them from the pan, so make sure you take them out *slightly* underdone). While they rest, toast off a bun, or if you're doing the low-carb thang, take some nice bib lettuce or a similar soft and flexible kind of lettuce (butter lettuce works well) and wrap your burger. If you want some crispiness, you can use romaine or leaf lettuce, but they'll be harder to wrap unless you use the upper green portion of the lettuce. Then eat it, and thank me later.
    任重道远
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrius View Post
    The chest, arms, and midsection in general visually and musculature-wise definitely lag behind my legs and posterior chain. That having been said, those photos are also really bad lol. I'll be working on my weaker spots after this volume cycle. IT's also one of the reasons I am doing chins and not pullups - back thickness and upper-arm building!
    I wasn't commenting on any pics, other than your gargantuan thighs in your avatar. If you think you have some asymmetry development wise, i have a good eye in that regard and would be glad to share feedback. No nekids, no homo, lol.
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.

Anyway, today is recipe day:

Delicious Low-Fat Burgers (Low Carb Optional)

1 pound 97% lean ground beef (or sirloin)
    1 Onion
    Vegetable Fixin's (I like sauerkraut and arugula, sauerkraut adds good moisture, arugula is peppery and slightly bitter)
    Ketchup
    Mustard
    Worcestershire Sauce
    Soy Sauce
    Cracked Black Pepper (Don't be a bum! - 1000 cool points to anyone that gets this reference)
    Garlic Powder (not salt!)
    Onion Powder (not salt!)

I've used this recipe dozens of times to make delicious, low-fat burgers that are still moist. The trick is on the inside...

Put a seasoned cast iron or a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.

Combine ground beef, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and seasonings in a bowl. I eyeball it - you want a mixture that is moist but not wet or else the beef won't bind well - and separate into four 1/4 pound patties. If you're bad at eyeballing seasoning, a tblspn. each of the wet ingredients and a tsp. each of the dry ingredients should do. DO NOT ADD EXTRA SALT! They will be plenty seasoned from the wet ingredients. My girlfriend always wants to do this and it drives me bonkers

Once you have your patties, put no more than two at a time in the pan to cook. "But dimi, where will the fat drain off to?" You may ask. THEY'RE 97% LEAN! That means each burger should have roughly 12 grams of fat - let the fat hang out and do its thang man!

The reason for the no more than two at a time rule: one, the pan will be cooled and you will not get as even and nice a caramelization; two, these burgers are WET with ingredients - they will give off a lot of moisture as they cook, and water is also the enemy of caramelization. If you have a pool of water in the pan, your burgers will be grey.

Once they are done cooking to the temp you like, remove from the pan. A good way to test doneness (although by no means foolproof) is to poke the burger with your finger and rate it according to this trick:

Touch your thumb to your forefinger, and then use your opposite hand to poke the pad of flesh under your thumb. If the burger has the same amount of give, it's medium rare. If you do the same thing, only instead you touch your thumb to your middle finger first, the pad under your thumb should feel like a medium-cooked cut of meat. Ringfinger = medium well, and pinky = well.

Obviously, there ain't much to it after that. Let the burgers rest (remember, they keep cooking for a couple minutes after you take them from the pan, so make sure you take them out *slightly* underdone). While they rest, toast off a bun, or if you're doing the low-carb thang, take some nice bib lettuce or a similar soft and flexible kind of lettuce (butter lettuce works well) and wrap your burger. If you want some crispiness, you can use romaine or leaf lettuce, but they'll be harder to wrap unless you use the upper green portion of the lettuce. Then eat it, and thank me later.
    CANNOT LIE extremely similar method but never added in soy or tried sauerkraut. Always been a jalapeno, green pepper, and onion. I gotta switch things on up lol

Cant even say if ive ever had arugula on purpose
    Bigger and Better Is all I KNOW!!!
    Current Log= http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/250352-follidrone-cutting-package.html
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

I wasn't commenting on any pics, other than your gargantuan thighs in your avatar. If you think you have some asymmetry development wise, i have a good eye in that regard and would be glad to share feedback. No nekids, no homo, lol.
    Oh, dude, I KNOW I have an unbalanced physique. Not too worried about it though. As long as I can have sex without wheezing and don't feel like a fat **** then the only thing that truly matters for me is pounds on the total. Being cut up and balanced will be a nice thing to have once I get my first comp out of the way and dedicate some time to a good cut so I can bulk a little more cleanly than I have in the past. I eventually want to lift in the 220s, but before I do I want to feel strong enough to do so (1300 pound plus total).

Quote Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
    CANNOT LIE extremely similar method but never added in soy or tried sauerkraut. Always been a jalapeno, green pepper, and onion. I gotta switch things on up lol

Cant even say if ive ever had arugula on purpose
    See, I grew up with Polish, German, and Irish food, so sauerkraut is where it's at for me. I do love me some pickled jalapenos though. And arugula, while being kind of a "hipster" green currently, is just really effin' good - no two ways about it. I'd almost rather have an arugula salad than a spinach salad, and I'd take either or a shot to the kneecap over iceberg. Kale's good too, but I much prefer it baked into chips. That'll be my next recipe actually - my girlfriend and I made some really tasty kale chips a few weeks ago.
    任重道远
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

Oh, dude, I KNOW I have an unbalanced physique. Not too worried about it though. As long as I can have sex without wheezing and don't feel like a fat **** then the only thing that truly matters for me is pounds on the total. Being cut up and balanced will be a nice thing to have once I get my first comp out of the way and dedicate some time to a good cut so I can bulk a little more cleanly than I have in the past. I eventually want to lift in the 220s, but before I do I want to feel strong enough to do so (1300 pound plus total).
    Heard loudly and clearly. My only caveat to that would be that once you become highly imbalanced it becomes harder to correct. But I am not talking upper/lower imbalance, but rather shoulders/triceps vs. chest, and the like. The dominant muscle will increasingly steal the work, which can create deficits. A very common one, that I suffered from for the longest, is overly developed upper traps, and consequential underdeveloped mid and lower traps, which can set you up for serious injury as it really gets in the way of proper scap retraction. But I am telling you stuff I am sure you already know, so I will shut up.

FWIW, I just addressed this point in my log, re my dominant muscles, and I will leave the topic at that.

Your goals and aspirations sound solid to me. Keep up the good work, dude.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

135 X 4
    225 X 4
    275 X 4
    315 X 3
    345 X 2
    365 X 2
    385 X 1
    405 X 1
    415 X 1

This was a good day. I know the bar came forward. I know that I lost tightness and my arch. But that was a 30 pound ****ing PR.
    任重道远
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Haha you said what I was gonna. Nice PR man. I know you lost form but you went low as **** on that! Haha congrats
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

Not a big fan of the song choice, lol, but nice PR. You definitely had the depth.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Cover that mirror and don't sit too far back and you're a 450lb squatter today. Definitely can see all of your deadlift strength showing on that squat. Congrats on the PR, you've got a lot more where that came from.

Good log up in here!
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Last day in the gym until Sunday, so I deadlifted again. Oh ****-edy well.

Bench:

225 X 5
    8 chinups
    250 X 2
    6 chinups
    245 X 2
    240 X 2
    5 chinups
    235 X 2
    5 Chinups
    240 X 1
    225 X 3
    6 Chinups
    235 X 2
    6 Chinups
    225 X 3
    5 Chinups

Deadlifts

405 X 1
    455 X 1
    485 X 1 - Miss
    475 X 1
    455 X 1
    405 X 3

PWO Meal:

Name:  dinner.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  173.5 KB
    任重道远
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Cover that mirror and don't sit too far back and you're a 450lb squatter today. Definitely can see all of your deadlift strength showing on that squat. Congrats on the PR, you've got a lot more where that came from.

Good log up in here!

Thanks! appreciate the tips and you stopping by. Out of curiosity, what about the way I squatted was affected by the mirror? I'm trying to get to a place that doesn't have one; in a few months I'll be able to afford a basement gym, actually. Gonna buy a nice rack, a GHR/Reverse Hyper combo, a glute-ham raise, a couple of bars, some more weight, and I'll be set. Until then, I'd like to work on fixing whatever problems mirrors have given me. I usually stare myself in the eyes as a challenge to try and ignore everything else going on.
    任重道远
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Thanks! appreciate the tips and you stopping by. Out of curiosity, what about the way I squatted was affected by the mirror? I'm trying to get to a place that doesn't have one; in a few months I'll be able to afford a basement gym, actually. Gonna buy a nice rack, a GHR/Reverse Hyper combo, a glute-ham raise, a couple of bars, some more weight, and I'll be set. Until then, I'd like to work on fixing whatever problems mirrors have given me. I usually stare myself in the eyes as a challenge to try and ignore everything else going on.
    When you squat into a mirror, your butt rises before your chest instead of simultaneously with your chest. The result is that you end up having to GM it up. Happens all the time, I don't know why, but it does.
    Training log:
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

When you squat into a mirror, your butt rises before your chest instead of simultaneously with your chest. The result is that you end up having to GM it up. Happens all the time, I don't know why, but it does.
    Interesting. Never heard that. I believe it to be true.

To add, it is easy to gauge depth consistently on a fixed object. Such as at a competition you fix on a still object.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Interesting. Never heard that. I believe it to be true.

To add, it is easy to gauge depth consistently on a fixed object. Such as at a competition you fix on a still object.
    The easiest way to gauge depth is to simply squat to depth every time. Then when it's meet time, you just go up and squat how you always squat, and everything will be alright. Film your sets, have people call you up, bottom out every time, whatever works for you.
    Training log:
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

The easiest way to gauge depth is to simply squat to depth every time. Then when it's meet time, you just go up and squat how you always squat, and everything will be alright. Film your sets, have people call you up, bottom out every time, whatever works for you.
    This!! Well said, Dude. The only thing I gauge my depth is video evidence and "oh fck I think I'm too deep" (which actually means that I just broke parallel)
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

I meant more than just up and down depth(leaning forward on a top set for example) But definitely agree.

Edit: original post should have said "depth perception to be clear
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

This!! Well said, Dude. The only thing I gauge my depth is video evidence and "oh fck I think I'm too deep" (which actually means that I just broke parallel)
    This is usually how it works for me too lol
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Sean, I can tell already you're totally going to abuse your fcking privelige and ruin it for everyone!

Rob, I'm not sure what you mean about gauging the lean by where you look. Could you elaborate?
    Training log:
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Sean, I can tell already you're totally going to abuse your fcking privelige and ruin it for everyone! Rob, I'm not sure what you mean about gauging the lean by where you look. Could you elaborate?
    lol what??
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Sean, I can tell already you're totally going to abuse your fcking privelige and ruin it for everyone!

Rob, I'm not sure what you mean about gauging the lean by where you look. Could you elaborate?
    I really just meant depth perception with a fixed object. For example, if you are on a fixed object you can tell if a heavy weight leans you forward because that object becomes closer(even if 2 inches). Not saying it is necessary but just a thought.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

lol what??
    You know, your privelige to use the to say the word fck, hence, your "fck"ing privelige.
    Training log:
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

You know, your privelige to use the to say the word fck, hence, your "fck"ing privelige.
    fck! sht!
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I really just meant depth perception with a fixed object. For example, if you are on a fixed object you can tell if a heavy weight leans you forward because that object becomes closer(even if 2 inches). Not saying it is necessary but just a thought.
    Hm. Never thought of it like that. I usually adopt a squinty pain face on most all of my sets.
    Training log:
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

fck! sht!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-aI_C6k5s

Sorry for the thread derail Dimitrius. This is a common occurrence.
    Training log:
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

Hey Dimitrius, are you following programming, or lifting instinctively/intuitively? I lift somewhat similarly, if you look at my most recent benching sesh, only I don't move up and down with weight until I peak, and then come back down for more volume.

The only reason I am mentioning this is that, unlike me, you are lifting for numbers, and i think the discipline of sub-maximal programming/periodization could accelerate your gains. But YMMV, and this is meant entirely constructively.

In any event, good work here.

Have a happy holiday, ma man.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-aI_C6k5s

Sorry for the thread derail Dimitrius. This is a common occurrence.
    Hey dude, as far as I'm concerned, it's a sign that people are having fun up in here. For me, that's what it's all about. The more people come in here and have fun, the more people track my log, the more I get constructive criticism/information that I can use as a weapon in my war against the iron. I'm all about taking as much information in as possible. Derail away! I'll still be tracking my workouts in here, so it doesn't matter to me.

Hey Dimitrius, are you following programming, or lifting instinctively/intuitively? I lift somewhat similarly, if you look at my most recent benching sesh, only I don't move up and down with weight until I peak, and then come back down for more volume.

The only reason I am mentioning this is that, unlike me, you are lifting for numbers, and i think the discipline of sub-maximal programming/periodization could accelerate your gains. But YMMV, and this is meant entirely constructively.

In any event, good work here.

Have a happy holiday, ma man.
    I'm lifting instinctively with rules... My rules are that whatever I double/triple one week I have to beat the next week. So if I double 245 for 5 or 6 sets one week I want to hit 250 or more at least once or twice the next week (or day, or whenever I feel strong enough), and use 245 as a new "baseline". I like to test myself with heavy singles once I feel like a weight is "easy" (for example, I came in with a goal on Monday of hitting 365 for a double because I had previously only singled it but felt I could to better. After I hit that, I felt like I had more in the tank... which led to me scaling up the weight until I felt like it was difficult).

Otherwise, I lift in accordance to what I think my body can handle. For example, if I feel like I've got some left after a bunch of heavy doubles/triples/singles/whathaveyous, but I feel like my form is breaking down past a certain weight, I'll throw a "death set" at the end as a challenge (hence, 225 for 16). That way I know where my rep strength stands for 60% ish.

Finally, this is a *very* different system than I normally use (what I am doing now was inspired by reading up on Smolov but not feeling like I needed to do that particular program). I hadn't ever done so much volume between 85 and 95%, and I must say it has surprised me. PRs on my bench and my squat in ~three weeks. I'll do this for another week or two after the unscheduled deload that is Thanksgiving (going to Iowa), and then I will be back to a routine that combines heavy doubles and triples on the main lifts with volume on the accessories. For example:

Typical Squat Day -

Squats:
    225 X 5
    275 X 5
    315 X 5
    365 X 2/3
    385 X 2

Good Mornings:
    135 X 10
    185 X 10
    225 X 8

Standing Calf Raises
    Whatever X 20 X 3

Some Sort of Narrow-Gripped Row
    Whatever X 8-15 X 4

I work back almost every day in some way. Everything else centers around movements; I throw in biceps, calves, and abs when I have time. I do direct bicep work to prevent tears because I use mixed grip, but I probably only do it once a week.

I have used 5X5 and 5/3/1 in the past. I haven't been on a strict program since. Every program I have ever used has been a variation on linear periodization - I haven't tried anything else, but I am certainly open to suggestions! I'll be coming up with a program after this cycle, and I'll be putting it up in here for critique. I also have a pretty sweet slightly modified 5/3/1 spreadsheet if anyone wants it.
    任重道远
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  347 lbs.

Google this program: Tnation: Twelve weeks to a better Deadlift. I ran this program for 1.5 years and took my dead from 405-565.
    Sponsored Logs
    {Division 1, Licogenix, Formula-X} (Courtesy JD and Athletix)
    {Amino1} (Courtesy JPMiller and MusclePharm)
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePride View Post
    Google this program: Tnation: Twelve weeks to a better Deadlift. I ran this program for 1.5 years and took my dead from 405-565.
    Thanks, I looked it up and I will be incorporating some of its principles into my next cycle.

Last day off, will get in to DCA around 1800 and might try to hit the gym. Not sure though. Definitely will tomorrow, and I plan to squat. This will also be my last week on this cycle. In MSP Airport right now and I must say that it's my favorite I've ever been to (and I've been to all of the major Western and Midwestern airports). It's clean, has free wifi (wich I think should be free at all airports), has a nice selection of restaurants and bars, has a shoe shine place, and seems to be staffed by generally nice people.

Had a great time in Iowa with my grandparents, and ate some good food and bought some Amish country goodies to bring back home. Had a chance to converse with some of the Amish too, and I was generally impressed by their demeanor and how they conducted themselves. I can see why it would be very easy to become endeared to their community. My grandfather told me a story of how, in the 50's or 60's, he had a friend who used to deliver milk and other goods for the Amish (since they ride in carts and buggies, it's obviously difficult for them to get around efficiently in the sprawling country of Iowa). When the state tried to come and take their children in buses and force them to go to public school, his Amish business partner asked him to hide their children in the back of his delivery truck and drive past the state's line of officers outside the community so that they couldn't take the children. Their speech patterns are particularly interesting as well, since they speak their own dialect of German amongst themselves - they have a distinct accent on their English that is unique and special to hear.

Anyway, I'll be back to updating workouts as of tomorrow. Natch!
    任重道远
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 1 arm DB bent over row: one side stronger than the other
    By AutoKal47 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 12:07 PM
  2. Testabolan v2 is back...and stronger than before.
    By VaughnTrue in forum I-Force Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM
  3. Is it bad to drink the day before you lift
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
  5. Funny Steroid Question of the Day....
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 03:26 PM