Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
  1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Cover that mirror and don't sit too far back and you're a 450lb squatter today. Definitely can see all of your deadlift strength showing on that squat. Congrats on the PR, you've got a lot more where that came from.

Good log up in here!
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

Last day in the gym until Sunday, so I deadlifted again. Oh ****-edy well.

Bench:

225 X 5
    8 chinups
    250 X 2
    6 chinups
    245 X 2
    240 X 2
    5 chinups
    235 X 2
    5 Chinups
    240 X 1
    225 X 3
    6 Chinups
    235 X 2
    6 Chinups
    225 X 3
    5 Chinups

Deadlifts

405 X 1
    455 X 1
    485 X 1 - Miss
    475 X 1
    455 X 1
    405 X 3

PWO Meal:

Name:  dinner.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  173.5 KB
    任重道远
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Cover that mirror and don't sit too far back and you're a 450lb squatter today. Definitely can see all of your deadlift strength showing on that squat. Congrats on the PR, you've got a lot more where that came from.

Good log up in here!

Thanks! appreciate the tips and you stopping by. Out of curiosity, what about the way I squatted was affected by the mirror? I'm trying to get to a place that doesn't have one; in a few months I'll be able to afford a basement gym, actually. Gonna buy a nice rack, a GHR/Reverse Hyper combo, a glute-ham raise, a couple of bars, some more weight, and I'll be set. Until then, I'd like to work on fixing whatever problems mirrors have given me. I usually stare myself in the eyes as a challenge to try and ignore everything else going on.
    任重道远
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrius View Post

Thanks! appreciate the tips and you stopping by. Out of curiosity, what about the way I squatted was affected by the mirror? I'm trying to get to a place that doesn't have one; in a few months I'll be able to afford a basement gym, actually. Gonna buy a nice rack, a GHR/Reverse Hyper combo, a glute-ham raise, a couple of bars, some more weight, and I'll be set. Until then, I'd like to work on fixing whatever problems mirrors have given me. I usually stare myself in the eyes as a challenge to try and ignore everything else going on.
    When you squat into a mirror, your butt rises before your chest instead of simultaneously with your chest. The result is that you end up having to GM it up. Happens all the time, I don't know why, but it does.
    Training log:
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.4%

When you squat into a mirror, your butt rises before your chest instead of simultaneously with your chest. The result is that you end up having to GM it up. Happens all the time, I don't know why, but it does.
    Interesting. Never heard that. I believe it to be true.

To add, it is easy to gauge depth consistently on a fixed object. Such as at a competition you fix on a still object.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post

Interesting. Never heard that. I believe it to be true.

To add, it is easy to gauge depth consistently on a fixed object. Such as at a competition you fix on a still object.
    The easiest way to gauge depth is to simply squat to depth every time. Then when it's meet time, you just go up and squat how you always squat, and everything will be alright. Film your sets, have people call you up, bottom out every time, whatever works for you.
    Training log:
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

The easiest way to gauge depth is to simply squat to depth every time. Then when it's meet time, you just go up and squat how you always squat, and everything will be alright. Film your sets, have people call you up, bottom out every time, whatever works for you.
    This!! Well said, Dude. The only thing I gauge my depth is video evidence and "oh fck I think I'm too deep" (which actually means that I just broke parallel)
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.4%

I meant more than just up and down depth(leaning forward on a top set for example) But definitely agree.

Edit: original post should have said "depth perception to be clear
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.4%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

This!! Well said, Dude. The only thing I gauge my depth is video evidence and "oh fck I think I'm too deep" (which actually means that I just broke parallel)
    This is usually how it works for me too lol
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

Sean, I can tell already you're totally going to abuse your fcking privelige and ruin it for everyone!

Rob, I'm not sure what you mean about gauging the lean by where you look. Could you elaborate?
    Training log:
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Sean, I can tell already you're totally going to abuse your fcking privelige and ruin it for everyone! Rob, I'm not sure what you mean about gauging the lean by where you look. Could you elaborate?
    lol what??
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.4%

Sean, I can tell already you're totally going to abuse your fcking privelige and ruin it for everyone!

Rob, I'm not sure what you mean about gauging the lean by where you look. Could you elaborate?
    I really just meant depth perception with a fixed object. For example, if you are on a fixed object you can tell if a heavy weight leans you forward because that object becomes closer(even if 2 inches). Not saying it is necessary but just a thought.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

lol what??
    You know, your privelige to use the to say the word fck, hence, your "fck"ing privelige.
    Training log:
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%

You know, your privelige to use the to say the word fck, hence, your "fck"ing privelige.
    fck! sht!
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post

I really just meant depth perception with a fixed object. For example, if you are on a fixed object you can tell if a heavy weight leans you forward because that object becomes closer(even if 2 inches). Not saying it is necessary but just a thought.
    Hm. Never thought of it like that. I usually adopt a squinty pain face on most all of my sets.
    Training log:
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

fck! sht!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-aI_C6k5s

Sorry for the thread derail Dimitrius. This is a common occurrence.
    Training log:
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Hey Dimitrius, are you following programming, or lifting instinctively/intuitively? I lift somewhat similarly, if you look at my most recent benching sesh, only I don't move up and down with weight until I peak, and then come back down for more volume.

The only reason I am mentioning this is that, unlike me, you are lifting for numbers, and i think the discipline of sub-maximal programming/periodization could accelerate your gains. But YMMV, and this is meant entirely constructively.

In any event, good work here.

Have a happy holiday, ma man.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-aI_C6k5s

Sorry for the thread derail Dimitrius. This is a common occurrence.
    Hey dude, as far as I'm concerned, it's a sign that people are having fun up in here. For me, that's what it's all about. The more people come in here and have fun, the more people track my log, the more I get constructive criticism/information that I can use as a weapon in my war against the iron. I'm all about taking as much information in as possible. Derail away! I'll still be tracking my workouts in here, so it doesn't matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    Hey Dimitrius, are you following programming, or lifting instinctively/intuitively? I lift somewhat similarly, if you look at my most recent benching sesh, only I don't move up and down with weight until I peak, and then come back down for more volume.

The only reason I am mentioning this is that, unlike me, you are lifting for numbers, and i think the discipline of sub-maximal programming/periodization could accelerate your gains. But YMMV, and this is meant entirely constructively.

In any event, good work here.

Have a happy holiday, ma man.
    I'm lifting instinctively with rules... My rules are that whatever I double/triple one week I have to beat the next week. So if I double 245 for 5 or 6 sets one week I want to hit 250 or more at least once or twice the next week (or day, or whenever I feel strong enough), and use 245 as a new "baseline". I like to test myself with heavy singles once I feel like a weight is "easy" (for example, I came in with a goal on Monday of hitting 365 for a double because I had previously only singled it but felt I could to better. After I hit that, I felt like I had more in the tank... which led to me scaling up the weight until I felt like it was difficult).

Otherwise, I lift in accordance to what I think my body can handle. For example, if I feel like I've got some left after a bunch of heavy doubles/triples/singles/whathaveyous, but I feel like my form is breaking down past a certain weight, I'll throw a "death set" at the end as a challenge (hence, 225 for 16). That way I know where my rep strength stands for 60% ish.

Finally, this is a *very* different system than I normally use (what I am doing now was inspired by reading up on Smolov but not feeling like I needed to do that particular program). I hadn't ever done so much volume between 85 and 95%, and I must say it has surprised me. PRs on my bench and my squat in ~three weeks. I'll do this for another week or two after the unscheduled deload that is Thanksgiving (going to Iowa), and then I will be back to a routine that combines heavy doubles and triples on the main lifts with volume on the accessories. For example:

Typical Squat Day -

Squats:
    225 X 5
    275 X 5
    315 X 5
    365 X 2/3
    385 X 2

Good Mornings:
    135 X 10
    185 X 10
    225 X 8

Standing Calf Raises
    Whatever X 20 X 3

Some Sort of Narrow-Gripped Row
    Whatever X 8-15 X 4

I work back almost every day in some way. Everything else centers around movements; I throw in biceps, calves, and abs when I have time. I do direct bicep work to prevent tears because I use mixed grip, but I probably only do it once a week.

I have used 5X5 and 5/3/1 in the past. I haven't been on a strict program since. Every program I have ever used has been a variation on linear periodization - I haven't tried anything else, but I am certainly open to suggestions! I'll be coming up with a program after this cycle, and I'll be putting it up in here for critique. I also have a pretty sweet slightly modified 5/3/1 spreadsheet if anyone wants it.
    任重道远
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  347 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.6%

Google this program: Tnation: Twelve weeks to a better Deadlift. I ran this program for 1.5 years and took my dead from 405-565.
    Sponsored Logs
    {Division 1, Licogenix, Formula-X} (Courtesy JD and Athletix)
    {Amino1} (Courtesy JPMiller and MusclePharm)
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePride View Post
    Google this program: Tnation: Twelve weeks to a better Deadlift. I ran this program for 1.5 years and took my dead from 405-565.
    Thanks, I looked it up and I will be incorporating some of its principles into my next cycle.

Last day off, will get in to DCA around 1800 and might try to hit the gym. Not sure though. Definitely will tomorrow, and I plan to squat. This will also be my last week on this cycle. In MSP Airport right now and I must say that it's my favorite I've ever been to (and I've been to all of the major Western and Midwestern airports). It's clean, has free wifi (wich I think should be free at all airports), has a nice selection of restaurants and bars, has a shoe shine place, and seems to be staffed by generally nice people.

Had a great time in Iowa with my grandparents, and ate some good food and bought some Amish country goodies to bring back home. Had a chance to converse with some of the Amish too, and I was generally impressed by their demeanor and how they conducted themselves. I can see why it would be very easy to become endeared to their community. My grandfather told me a story of how, in the 50's or 60's, he had a friend who used to deliver milk and other goods for the Amish (since they ride in carts and buggies, it's obviously difficult for them to get around efficiently in the sprawling country of Iowa). When the state tried to come and take their children in buses and force them to go to public school, his Amish business partner asked him to hide their children in the back of his delivery truck and drive past the state's line of officers outside the community so that they couldn't take the children. Their speech patterns are particularly interesting as well, since they speak their own dialect of German amongst themselves - they have a distinct accent on their English that is unique and special to hear.

Anyway, I'll be back to updating workouts as of tomorrow. Natch!
    任重道远
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.44%

Looking good here. Impressive GMs.
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

Looking good here. Impressive GMs.
    Thanks. Good Mornings always came easy to me for some reason. Then again, I've never had anyone seriously critique my form on them, so I may be doing them wrong, who knows? I do them low bar, like my squat, with a shoulder-width stance and push my hips back until I feel a good stretch in my hamstrings. Sometimes I do them seated with my heels on the ground and try to keep from putting my weight on my feet to make it an all-back exercise, but you'll rarely see me go over 185 with these.
    任重道远
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

SKWATZ (and rack pulls because eff it)

135 X 5
    225 X 4
    275 X 3
    315 X 3
    365 X 2
    385 X 1
    405 X 1
    405 X 1
    405 X 1
    365 X 2
    365 X 2
    365 X 1
    315 X 1 - paused
    315 X 1 - paused
    315 X 1 - paused

Rack Pulls

135 X 5
    225 X 3
    315 X 5
    405 X 1
    455 X 1
    495 X 1
    405 X 1
    405 X 1
    405 X 1
    任重道远
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.31%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

What was your time frame like on those squats? Feel like it would have taken 4-ever!
    Olympus Labs Forum Rep
    Olympus Labs, turning mere mortals into Demigods!!!
    Visit us at: http://olympus-labs.com/
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

Quote Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
    What was your time frame like on those squats? Feel like it would have taken 4-ever!
    I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I think it was at least 45 minutes. I was at the gym for around an hour and twenty minutes. I rest as needed, and even though the gym was busy, people don't usuallybother me about getting in the squat rack, so I didn't feel rushed.
    任重道远
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

Bench Day (Sorta)

So... I went in with the intention of only flat benching, but all of the benches were taken at my gym. One moron was doing seated forearm barbell curls on a flat bench station. To top it off, I lost my headphones somewhere between my car and walking into the gym.

I was basically mentally punching through the skulls of half the people I saw at the gym today while I gazed around the room.

I'm usually a very easy going and happy guy. Promise.

So! I adapted and overcame, and decided to do some seated military presses. I eventually got to the flat bench, which opened up after I did a few sets of fixed incline bench.

Seated MP

45 X 8
    95 X 8
    115 X 5
    135 X 3 - Felt much easier than ever before
    155 X 1 - PR
    155 X 1

Incline Bench Press

135 X 8
    185 X 3
    185 X 3
    205 X 1
    205 X 1
    205 X 1

Flat Bench Press

135 X 8
    225 X 3
    225 X 3
    235 X 1
    235 X 1
    235 X 1

I did several sets of 6-8 chinups between sets, but I wasn't really keeping track.

On a very positive note, my brother got me a Theracane for Christmas, and it's the shyte. It worked wonders on my lower back, which was sore today.

EDIT: Forgot I did abs!

Pallof Press:

1/2 Stack X 15 Seconds Each Hand
    1/2 Stack X 15 Seconds Each Hand
    2/3 Stack X 20 Seconds Each Hand
    2/3 Stack X 20 Seconds Each Hand

Decline Situps

10 X BW
    10 X BW + 25 lb.
    10 X BW + 25 lb.
    10 X BW + 25 lb.
    10 X BW + 25 lb.
    任重道远
  27. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%

May need to invest in a Theracane myself I think
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

May need to invest in a Theracane myself I think
    Do it. Seriously. It's awesome.
    任重道远
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

In lieu of a workout because of some bull**** and physical issues, I give you this:

任重道远
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.4%

That was my ****!
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.44%

On a very positive note, my brother got me a Theracane for Christmas, and it's the shyte. It worked wonders on my lower back, which was sore today.
    Thanksgiving late, and Xmas early this year? Or was this Festivus?

I have a Theracane and love it too.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

Thanksgiving late, and Xmas early this year? Or was this Festivus?

I have a Theracane and love it too.
    Normal Thanksgiving, one early present because my brother is in Korea and he wanted to get shopping done before he started outprocessing.
    任重道远
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

So, the law of diminishing returns may have struck today. Also forgot my knee sleeves, but they shouldn't have made that much a difference.

Squats

45 X 5
    135 X 5
    205 X 5
    225 X 3
    275 X 3
    315 X 3
    365 X 1
    385 X 1 - Put my belt on, core felt less stable than usual and the weight felt way heavier than normal.
    405 X 0 - Got pinned. What the blue ****.

Anyway, quit there, listened to my body. My CNS may be getting tired.

Sorry for the lame post, but I'm kinda bummed out.
    任重道远
  34. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  238 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.31%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

We all have those days man, just make the next training day better
    Olympus Labs Forum Rep
    Olympus Labs, turning mere mortals into Demigods!!!
    Visit us at: http://olympus-labs.com/
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

I mean, you have been hammering away up over 90% 1RM for weeks on end. Maybe just a one-off kinda day, maybe a sign to make a slight adjustment. Time will tell, but don't get worked up over it, man.
    Training log:
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

I mean, you have been hammering away up over 90% 1RM for weeks on end. Maybe just a one-off kinda day, maybe a sign to make a slight adjustment. Time will tell, but don't get worked up over it, man.
    Nah, it's all good. I was slightly down in workout capacity today too, so I just took it as a sign that I correctly timed my end to this cycle. Time to do a few weeks of 5-8 rep training on the main movements (except for deads) and let my CNS relax a little.

Today was bench day, though because my work capacity was diminished, I switched things up a bit.

BENCH:

8 Chins
    45 X 8
    135 X 8
    185 X 5 (paused)
    6 Chins
    225 X 3
    245 X 1
    5 Chins
    250 X 1
    8 Chins
    235 X 2
    225 X 3
    Dumbbell Row 100 X 6
    225 X 3
    Dumbbell Row 100 X 6
    225 X 1 (paused)
    Dumbbell Row 100 X 6
    225 X 3
    Dumbbell Row 100 X 6
    1 Chinup (paused for 20 secs. at max contraction)

Close-Grip Bench
    135 X 8
    185 X 6
    185 X 6
    185 X 5

Hammer curls for the girls

No rest btwn. sets
    20 lb. X 8 (each arm)
    25 X 6 ("")
    30 X 5 ("")

Repeat X 2

Dumbbell Lateral Raise (single arm)

10 lb. X 10
    15 X 8
    25 X 8
    35 X 6
    35 X 6
    35 X 5

Donesies!
    任重道远
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

Good call on the deload-ish. How long are you going to run that?
    Training log:
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.44%

Nice work. See how much easier it is to bench, when it doesn't follow seated presses and incline, lol?!?!
  39. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

Good call on the deload-ish. How long are you going to run that?
    I'll run it for four weeks or so, while I do another cut. I feel so goddamn fat (even though I don't look much different), and I haven't done any cardio this cycle, so I feel like my GPP is pretty bad.

Nice work. See how much easier it is to bench, when it doesn't follow seated presses and incline, lol?!?!
    Yes, jinxie. Yes I do. lol
    任重道远
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.33%

Skwatz

45 X 5
    135 X 5
    185 X 5
    225 X 3
    275 X 3
    315 X 2
    335 X 2
    365 X 1
    385 X 1
    405 X 1
    405 X 1
    365 X 1
    315 X 1
    任重道远

Similar Forum Threads

1. 1 arm DB bent over row: one side stronger than the other
    By AutoKal47 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 02:07 PM
  2. Is it bad to drink the day before you lift
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 10:07 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 04:23 PM
  4. Funny Steroid Question of the Day....
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 05:26 PM