Journey to Elite

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I pulled a Puccah and deleted my last log since I've decided to not compete in December. The reason is two-fold: work first and the health second. It's getting to the very busy time of year at work and I can't afford to take it off right now. Health wise, my knees and right hip are not happy with me right now. Unless I put a heavy wrap on them, the joint itself would start to feel unstable at 405 and the shear was taking its toll. On a positive note, though, I've continued to recomp thanks to the IF and CBL hybrid that I implemented.

More or less, I'm starting over in that I need to rebuild my raw squat. It's dropped precipitously over the past year and I think this is one of the primary reasons for my geared squat struggles. To kick it off, I'll be doing some block periodization to start light and conservative on volume as I work up in weight and/or volume. I'm going to continue to iron out the details as I go along and will be diligent in keeping my hips healthy. Basically, I want to hit 405x2-3 before I start gearing up again. For upper, though, I will be keeping it mostly status quo in terms on layout because I have continued to make progress on my bench the entire year.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/20 Lower

Squat
225x3x3
245x3x3

SSB GM
135x10x2
185x8x2

DB Shrugs/Standing Cable Crunches
100x15x3/120x15x3

Banded Wall Sits (doubled mini)
30x3

I'm starting over from the bottom with my squat. I went very conservative on the weight and mainly focused on the groove, speed, and my foot placement. I found myself constantly trying to overly externally rotate my feet and go gear-wide, but I refrained and went moderate on the stance with only a slight rotation at the femur. I used a different SSB for the GM and they threw me off from the beginning. To keep with the theme, the weight was conservative and went for the stretch and speed. One thing I used to notice was that the bar used to pop off of my traps at the top of the rep because of the speed I would have on the rep, but I didn't have that for months. Somehow, I was able to rediscover this spot and the bar was popping once again.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for Rodja going (mostly) raw.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found you! ;)

Starting over....

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I followed the last log....so in for this one as well. :D

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/22 Vert Flex/Hor Ex

OHP
150x5x3

Meadows Rows
90x15
115x12x2
135x10-drop-90x10

Dips
BW+45x8x2
BW+45x10

Pressdowns/BB Curls (w/ Fat Gripz)/Side Laterals
110x15/85x10/30x15
110x15/85x10/30x15
110x15/85x8/30x15

I nearly broke a long standing PR: never vomiting from training. However, I managed to keep everything down and got in a good session. Went with more of a volume-style day on OHP to hit more hypertrophy and threw in the drop set for overload. Got in a bitchin' pump in the arms from the triset and the GMS that I added to my Enhanced/Alphamine mix.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In here!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get some!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/23 Lower

Box Squat
225x3x2
245x3x3
255x3x2
275x2x2

Rack Pulls
315x5
365x5
405x3x2
455x3x3

DB Side Bends
80x10x5

Band Pallof Press (light)
6x5

Slowly getting back some speed on my box squats. My hip was a little cranky today and it mildly hampered my squat, but I worked around it. One thing that I am going to completely dedicate myself to doing a **** ton of core work from all angles and less trunk flexion.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Babe, That was an EPIC BEASTMODE session you had today!!!! Don't let all these HATERS bring you down!!!!! :D

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Epic job squatting on the SMITH MACHINE!!!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/25 Hor Flex/Hor Ex

Floor Press
135x8
185x5
205x3
205x2 (+40# chain)
205x2 (+80# chain)
225x2 (+80# chain)

Incline DB Press
75x8
80x8
85x8
90x6

HS Uni Row (neutral row)
135x10
180x10x3

DB Preacher Curl/DB Overhead Ex
30x10x3/30x10x3

Band Facepulls (light)/Band Ex Rotations (mini)
15x3/15x3

I suck at FP and want to get it higher as I have trouble off of the floor after a solid pause. Another reason I want to do it more as that it'll help to take pressure off of both of my shoulders and back. Luckily, nobody is shirting up for awhile so the temptation to follow suit is not there right now.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Luckily, nobody is shirting up for awhile so the temptation to follow suit is not there right now.
Lol. I know how big of a factor that is. I can't count how many times I've said, "What are you doing today? Deadlifting? Yeah, I did Max Effort pulls yesterday, but I can probably pull again."

Your body is going to be so happy to spend some time out of the gear. I've been meaning to ask, are you looking for a raw PR before you get back in the gear?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol. I know how big of a factor that is. I can't count how many times I've said, "What are you doing today? Deadlifting? Yeah, I did Max Effort pulls yesterday, but I can probably pull again."

Your body is going to be so happy to spend some time out of the gear. I've been meaning to ask, are you looking for a raw PR before you get back in the gear?
You know, I don't have anything definitive that I want to hit before I hop back into gear. I'd like get back to my raw PRs on bench and squat (335 and 455, respectively), but I was heavier then and that'll factor into the decision. Speaking of weight, I'm still going to be competing at 198, but I'm backing off on dieting per se and would like to recomp a little bit more. Nothing huge, but a good 3# swing would be nice.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You know, I don't have anything definitive that I want to hit before I hop back into gear. I'd like get back to my raw PRs on bench and squat (335 and 455, respectively), but I was heavier then and that'll factor into the decision. Speaking of weight, I'm still going to be competing at 198, but I'm backing off on dieting per se and would like to recomp a little bit more. Nothing huge, but a good 3# swing would be nice.
What do you weigh now? I think it's clear you're stronger now, you're just going to have to groove it raw. Been a lot of articles along those lines after Brandon Lilly came out and told the world he got weaker after training in gear for 10 years. Obviously not true, but he definitely shook the tree.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What do you weigh now? I think it's clear you're stronger now, you're just going to have to groove it raw. Been a lot of articles along those lines after Brandon Lilly came out and told the world he got weaker after training in gear for 10 years. Obviously not true, but he definitely shook the tree.
I'm cruising at around 210 right now, which is the lightest I've been since last Summer.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/27 Lower

SSB Box Squat
225x5
255x5x2
275x5x2

Rack Pulls
405x3
455x3x2
495x3x2

DB Shrugs
100x15x2

Unilateral DB Shrugs
80x12
90x12

Adductor/Band Wall Sits (mini)/Uni Donkey Calf Raises
115x15x3/30x3/200x10x30

Felt really good today. In a weird way, I feel like I'm relearning proper technique and some of the minutiae involved that I've forgotten along the way. Been doing a heavy amount of rack pulls to really hit the erectors and am using a traditional bar to work on my grip and not rely on the flex.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
DVR. Skip all the commercials and banter.
The hard part is when you DVR a game is you have to announce when you see people.

I walk in the house, my brother walks in and immediately "I did not watch the giants vs eagles yet, don't tell me anything about it what's up man?"

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/30 Lower

Sumo
315x5
405x3x4

DB Shrugs/Pallof Press (light)
90x15x3/8x3

Not a great session. I couldn't get into position and felt like my shoulders were over the bar the entire time. As a result, I irritated my lumbar, but the Pallof press helped to realign my spine, which shows me that I need to work more on anti-flexion.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's pretty clear from that picture that you both have lost weight. I didn't recognize the Hitman until I saw the photo on the table.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's pretty clear from that picture that you both have lost weight. I didn't recognize the Hitman until I saw the photo on the table.
He had a stroke about a decade ago. It's a shame how the last few years of his career went. Wrestling hasn't been the same for me since November 9, 1997.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love Macho Man Randy Savage because of his theme song and Elizabeth was so pretty.
I love Brett Hart because he was so handsome and cocky!
I love the Ultimate Warrior because he was so sexy!
I couldn't stand Hulk Hogan because he was everyone's favorite!!!
The Undertaker scared the crap out of me!
:D

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/1 Bench

CG Incline
185x5x3
205x7

Meadows Rows
90x15x2
115x12

Flat DB Press
70x10
80x10

Cable Rows/Facepulls
200x10x3/90x10x3

Rolling DB Ex
35x10x3

Decided to change it up and I got to the gym after the crew already left. Right shoulder is slightly protracted and impinged right now and need to make some adjustments to the template over the next couple of months.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/3 Squat

Squat
275x3x4
295x1x2

SLDL
275x8x4

DB Shrugs
100x15x3

Pallof Press (light)
8x4

Not a good day. I was pretty lethargic (my nutrition yesterday was bad) and I was tight everywhere. I finally have some appts set up for a chiro and I really hope that starts to get **** corrected.

napalm

napalm

Awards
alex said you got a new sleeve, looks awesome. i'm pledging to myself to finish mine before xmas

the hitman is looking a little rough these days :( he was always one of my favs...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
alex said you got a new sleeve, looks awesome. i'm pledging to myself to finish mine before xmas the hitman is looking a little rough these days :( he was always one of my favs...
I got it started in August. There's two more sessions before it's done.

Bret had a stroke in '02, but he doesn't appear to have many lingering effects from it. Oddly enough, he was the only wrestler there that didn't walk around with a limp or altered gait. Wrestlers do not age well at all.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got it started in August. There's two more sessions before it's done.

Bret had a stroke in '02, but he doesn't appear to have many lingering effects from it. Oddly enough, he was the only wrestler there that didn't walk around with a limp or altered gait. Wrestlers do not age well at all.
Those guys definitely take a pounding. I'd have to credit his skill and athleticism to his body still functioning at this age.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those guys definitely take a pounding. I'd have to credit his skill and athleticism to his body still functioning at this age.
He always said that his proudest achievement in the ring is that he never hurt another wrestler. It's ironic that his career was ended because of an in-ring accident. ****ing Goldberg....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/4 Upper

OHP
150x3
160x3
170x3
135x12

DB Rows
145x20

Dips
BW+45x10x3

Pulldowns
200x10x3

Pullapart Series
3 sets

I felt great today. I kept a slightly slower pace than normal as I was having to keep my biceps loose between sets, but each set went well and my numbers were solid. I'm still tinkering with what I will be doing over the next quarter as far as intensity and volume goes since training will be a little erratic throughout the next 6 weeks or so.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/5 Lower

SSB Box Squat (+80# chain)
225x2x2
255x2x5

DL
375x3x4
375x6

Walking DB Lunges
50x20x2
70x10

DB Side Bends
90x10x3

AbD/AdD
3 sets

I very seldom train three nights in a row, but had to do so this week because of work stuff. Everything is block style right now with more of an emphasis on low reps and speed. This was the first time I've pulled conventional from the floor in probably 3 months and it's amazing how quickly you refind the groove in such a short period of time on them.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
How are you choosing volume on your lifts? Based off of prilepins or is it just more of an autoregulated deal for you at this point?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How are you choosing volume on your lifts? Based off of prilepins or is it just more of an autoregulated deal for you at this point?
Auto regulation. I don't have current maxes for most lifts and started very light to build up quickly. I'm having to work through some hip issues as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/8 Bench

Bench (Ace shirt)
455x2x2 (2-board)
225x10x2 (raw)

Neutral Pullups
32 reps

Rolling Ex/Side Laterals
35x12x3/35x12x3

Put on a shirt today for ****s and giggles and it's amazing how quickly you lose conditioning for geared lifting. After 3-4 sets, I was pretty much spent and moved onto assistance work.

11/10

Box Squat (low bar)
225x5x2
245x3x4

Bulgarian Split Squats (BW)
40 reps

Banded Pallof Press (light)
40 reps

Meh day. I've barely been home since Wednesday and it caught up with me today. I had zero motivation and did some light work. My hip was a little cranky this morning and I didn't push it much.