Smokers road to 1st plm

smoker145

Thought Id start my own log to help keep track of my workouts, and post vids of my lifts so I can be critiqued.
My 1st meet is dec.17, ill be in the 181 class.
My weakest lift ( and embarrassing) is my squat. This is what I need to work on the most, if I'm gonna stand any type of chance of having a 900 total at the meet, which is my goal.

Workout wed night:
Bench 140x5
155x5
175x5
Amrep 140x12

Swiss bar bench
125x10 for 4 sets

Chest supported row 95x6-7 for 3 sets
Light cable row 110x10 for 3 sets
Rear delt work
Tricep pushdowns

Vids to come later. Enjoy

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In on smoker log! Where are the lifts at now?

Good luck though...should be a fun journey. :D

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
is a 900 total competetive enough for 181? i really have no knowledge on meets

smoker145

In on smoker log! Where are the lifts at now?

Good luck though...should be a fun journey. :D
Squat is unknown. My hip flexability is terrible, my left side locks up occasionally and it's painful. However, I can blame myself, as there is mobility work rob has I just don't always do it. My max squat is a weak 225.

My bench I am happy with at this point, it's 225, which is my new pr I set 4 weeks ago.

Deadlift is my best lift and easiest. I pulled 315 easy for a joker set last week.

As it sits I have a 775 total. I know 900 might not be realistic, but my squat and dead continues to go up steadily so well see. I set the bar high for myself.

smoker145

is a 900 total competetive enough for 181? i really have no knowledge on meets
I'd be very happy with it for my first meet, and also considering I didn't squat or dead until April this year. Rob has taken me under his wing and taught me to stop being an idiot and do those lifts.

But to answer your question, I'm sure other 19 year olds would blow past a 900 total at a meet

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Thought Id start my own log to help keep track of my workouts, and post vids of my lifts so I can be critiqued.
My 1st meet is dec.17, ill be in the 181 class.
My weakest lift ( and embarrassing) is my squat. This is what I need to work on the most, if I'm gonna stand any type of chance of having a 900 total at the meet, which is my goal.

Workout wed night:
Bench 140x5
155x5
175x5
Amrep 140x12

Swiss bar bench
125x10 for 4 sets

Chest supported row 95x6-7 for 3 sets
Light cable row 110x10 for 3 sets
Rear delt work
Tricep pushdowns

Vids to come later. Enjoy
hell who cares. You're going to learn a lot and people are MORE than willing to help you. Just give it your all, use it as a learning experience :) PLing is fun, I use to do it with my 2 friends

smoker145

hell who cares. You're going to learn a lot and people are MORE than willing to help you. Just give it your all, use it as a learning experience :) PLing is fun, I use to do it with my 2 friends
Thanks bud. It's definitely fun and I'm excited to compete

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not bad at all bud. Your lower back may have a slight round to it but that's an easy fox. As far as lowering the weight, I was just told to push my hips way out until it's below my knees (Romanian deadlift-ish), then I can break my knees over the bar.

Good luck man. We're all here to learn from each other

smoker145

Not bad at all bud. Your lower back may have a slight round to it but that's an easy fox. As far as lowering the weight, I was just told to push my hips way out until it's below my knees (Romanian deadlift-ish), then I can break my knees over the bar.

Good luck man. We're all here to learn from each other
Thanks bro. Yea I've been mashing my knees and that's been killin me. I did notice my round, which I will have to be more attentive too. I will try to push my hips back more, and not bend until the bar passes. And I may be milking you guys dry for info/ help. Give rob a little break:)

smoker145

Not bad, you and big shot bobby are mirror image of each other's technique. Completely reset after every rep. That way you have time to give yourself queues...
Haha is that good I mirror his technique? And I don't like to touch n go. I feel my form breaks down quick.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Haha is that good I mirror his technique? And I don't like to touch n go. I feel my form breaks down quick.
its not bad if you both make some minor adjustments. Everybody's form breaks down doing t&g...

smoker145

Elbows in, get under the bar a little more.
How far under do you think I should go? I've heard mixed things from eyes under bar, to chin under bar.

And yea thanks. My elbows flair often. It's usually only one thou, for whatever reason

napalm

napalm

Awards
How far under do you think I should go? I've heard mixed things from eyes under bar, to chin under bar. And yea thanks. My elbows flair often. It's usually only one thou, for whatever reason
Not claiming to be a BP expert, but I put it over my chin. Less internal rotation on the shoulders...

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Getting yucky with the boys

smoker145

Alright got hammered last night and didnt ohp today, I will tomorrow.

Squat will have to be Tuesday, bench Thursday, ohp Saturday.

I will update my workouts more, and not just post a vid. Things have been a little crazy recently but ill make sure to post em

smoker145

Had to rush my workout today, got 2 exams tonight, and 1 in the am, and of course I'm cramming.

S tbar row 70x10x5
Wide grip cable row 120x10x5.
Reverse flies 20x12x5.

Shoulder wasn't feeling real loose so just took it extremely light with ohp.
30 lb DBS 10x5.
Plus I may have to bench wed now, and I'm all too cautious with me shoulders

Did 60 band pull aparts throughout workout, still need to do 40 tonight.

Wasn't really feeling it as my mind was elsewhere and I was rushing. Skwatz tomorrow after bio exam... Oh lawd

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't know why you still kick up them db's if that action has hurt your shoulder. That said you should be okay with 30s.

Do good on your tests man.

smoker145

Didn't bring my Swiss bar to the gym, and I didn't really feel like bb. But it was light so I was all good.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Didn't bring my Swiss bar to the gym, and I didn't really feel like bb. But it was light so I was all good.
Do you think nancy Kerrigan every just said "I didn't feel like bb presses, I'm done skating." NO! She went for the gold!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't know if you are watching...but Peyton is goat. This whole year he just seems to know what play every defense is going to do and be makes them pay for every mistake.

Next week will be a route unless eagles get lucky...I'd say the same for 90% of the NFL though.

smoker145

I don't know if you are watching...but Peyton is goat. This whole year he just seems to know what play every defense is going to do and be makes them pay for every mistake.

Next week will be a route unless eagles get lucky...I'd say the same for 90% of the NFL though.
Not watching, trying to make sense of this biology.

And it will be tough for any team to beat them. However, I think the eagles offense will step up this game, as for the defense, well what can you expect? I won't be surprised if they lose, but there's always a chance. I won't write them off

smoker145

Benching!

Feels good to go to the gym because I just got chewed up, spit up, and chewed up again by my pop

smoker145

Bench

190x4
145x10

Swiss bar
135x10x3
Wider grip
135x6x2

Swiss bar rows
125x 10x3
Ram cable rows 130x10x5

Rear delts 20 db 10x4
120 bps

Tricep push downs and ab work to end it.
Felt good, shoulders were cracking but no pain. Probably Bc I did ohp 2 days ago. I'm pleased with my workout tonight. Vid failed on bench, so next week ill have to try again

smoker145

Also, if anyone wants to see a good documentary, watch restrepo. It's a pretty good military one

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk6mx3zOCbY

Not sure if you can see anything to help. I know I had the bar too high thou
Crappy video...but I can tell something. You need to work on mobility in the thoracic and in the front of the hips. Maybe just stretch the front of the hips before you bench. Maybe not now, but after the comp I'll let you use the PVC pipe I got on warmups to get the arch going some if you wanna try to arch(not that you have to). You bench is going pretty good so I don't know if you wanna do anything whacky now. But definitely stretch the front of the hips some.

smoker145

Crappy video...but I can tell something. You need to work on mobility in the thoracic and in the front of the hips. Maybe just stretch the front of the hips before you bench. Maybe not now, but after the comp I'll let you use the PVC pipe I got on warmups to get the arch going some if you wanna try to arch(not that you have to). You bench is going pretty good so I don't know if you wanna do anything whacky now. But definitely stretch the front of the hips some.
Good catch, you know that's my weak spot. That's why I do kiddie squats, I really hope it gets better, ill be embarrassed at the comp when my opening squat is less than 2 plates. And yea I think my arch is bad because my leg drive gets cut off. My top priority for bench is to improve on that pronto.
Clock is ticking

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good catch, you know that's my weak spot. That's why I do kiddie squats, I really hope it gets better, ill be embarrassed at the comp when my opening squat is less than 2 plates. And yea I think my arch is bad because my leg drive gets cut off. My top priority for bench is to improve on that pronto.
Clock is ticking
I'll show you some brutal doorway stretches, couch stretch, and a stretch you can do in warm ups some time soon. When you surf on here to wall squats with your back on the floor and legs on the wall. It's way deeper than depth if you can hold that for two minute bursts with tensing, not tensing.

I got some other **** I can show you to next time we get a squat session or something.