Chasin' Gaynor...

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wednesday 9/11

15" Pin Pulls #525+#100 Chains about #625 @ top x3x3 (tried to get a good snap up over the knees)
1" Deficit Pin Pulls #525 x3x3 (good start off pins, but a looooong pull by the time the 3rd set/3rd rep rolls 'round)

1" Def RDL's #405 x8x2 (read 8 reps 2 sets)

Clse Stance Squats #275 x8x2 (slight heel for some quad work)

Clse grip strict Pull Dwns #175 x10x4

Pwer Surgs #405 x15x3
Called it/

The RDL's started to beat me a little after the pin pulls, since my low back was hammered.
Wanted to get in some fuller leg work so went with closer stance oly squats and some quad push
Very f****ing hot here today +90's & humid and it was zapping me pretty good.
Still felt pretty good with the pulls from the pins, since I get no bar flax at all from that start. The full weight, is right at the very start.

Might as well stick my old arse man log here for now, so youz can scream obscenities and make fun of the elders, as the forum I used to be on, seems to have closed or lost their account status.

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi PB :wave2: Good to see you logging for a change.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A Paul Black log? Nice!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey thanks guys/gals. Yeah I need to log somewhere and since the old forum may no longer be, I will do what I can here.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Friday 9/13 Some BBing for the shoulders
Incline Press #145 x8x5
OHP's #95 x10x5
Light GM's #135 x25 (getting some blood in the chain)
2" Def Speed Pulls #225+ Greens x3x4
Tri Extens #90 x10x4
Leg Raises x30
Hanging Raises x25
Cheat Curls oly bar #135x10

Still having some stiffness in the old shoulders, so I might back away from the heavier lower pressing reps for a bit and do some BBing again.
The Incline did not hurt and I could take a wider grip on those, so I might run with them for a bit too. Felt a decent pump.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Finally!!!! Awesome stuff, man

Beastly fuxking SLDL

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are the power surges you did at the end of Wednesday's session?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the kudos guys.
Looks like some good strong arse lifters here, so that will help me to chase some of you young guys F*** and try and keep my head above the water.
Well maybe at least for some deads and squats possibly!?!?

What are the power surges you did at the end of Wednesday's session?
Ahaha "Shrugs. I just always wrote surgs, since they had a filter on our old site and certain words would be typed odd ball...

kurls
caoch
surgs
Tarp bar deads

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In to learn. :D

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Monday 9/16
15" Pin Pulls #545 +#100 Chains x2x3 (2 reps 3 sets)
1" Deficit Pin Pulls #545 x2x2
1" def...#500x6 Yee haaaa

RDL's From Floor #425x10, 8

Zerchers #225 x8x2 (to get some upright torso and leg drive work)

BB Rows #180x5
#230x8x3
#180x10

Shrugs #315 x25x2

The Pin pulls went quite well I thought and moved to deuces. Came off the pins with good speed and lockout with #645 @ top felt good not too slow not real fast either.
The RDL's felt lighter too, but I was going from floor and not a deficit today. The 2nd set however beat the carp from me some as my hams and butt was seizing up on me.
Did Zerchers since I have trouble with front squats. The #225 was not hard, but I really feel like I am suffocating doing those, as the bar position does not allow you to get a lot of air into the lungs. All in all I felt today's work was a keeper.
Wanted to vid the pin pulls but my camera battery was dead. Will get some up in the near future hopefully.

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In a few days late, nice numbers here

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks bud, but it has been lots of hard work along the way to get here. ;-)

Wednesday 9/18

OHP's #115 x5x5
#95 x10x2

CGBP's #175 x5x5
#155 x8x2

Hng Leg Raises x15x2
Laying leg rs x30

Pressdwns #85 x10x4

Wrist Curls #135 x25
COC #1 x6 ea. hand (Thru W/O)
6" Con Block Pinches x5's (Same)

More getting by pressing.
Last week I added in Erase Pro and Anebeta, along with 10 mgs topical DHEA and one pump of Formeron daily. (not sure about that one yet!?)
I seem to get as much out of 2 cups of strong coffee and my creapure. Oh well, we'll see how the month goes!?
Thought I would be a bit sorer today from Mondays pull/work, but not much so might see what happens for Fridays squats.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is a very serious stack you have there. Interested in how it treats you.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is a very serious stack you have there. Interested in how it treats you.
Well I am only using 1 Erase Pro a day and 4 Anebeta's (on label) The DHEA covers my thumb nail, but they say only try one pump. The Formeron says you can use 1-2 pumps, but I always tend to stay on the lowest sides with supps. Well maybe I drink 2 1/2-3 mugs of coffee on some DL days.
As far as how I felt after this, I seemed to have had a descent pump. Not like when I was 25, but I'll take any muscle pump at my age Ha ha ha

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Paul, your pulling is awesome man. Inspiring. How old are you?

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You look like you're having a lot of fun. Goofin and lifting. :)

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Paul, your pulling is awesome man. Inspiring. How old are you?
Thanks guy, I'm 55.

You look like you're having a lot of fun. Goofin and lifting.
Hey thanks kiddo. I still look forward to it, as much as I did 30 years ago. I almost hate not being able to do it more often sometimes...! Not sure why I am so into beating myself up, but I guess I have always been more physical than mental.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the PES swagggg.

And those vids...nice stuff. I hope I am like you as I grow up. :)

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey thanks kiddo. I still look forward to it, as much as I did 30 years ago. I almost hate not being able to do it more often sometimes...! Not sure why I am so into beating myself up, but I guess I have always been more physical than mental.
You make me feel so young. You make me feel like spring has sprung!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Friday 9/20

4" deficit Speed Pulls #315+2 greens x3x3 (About #515 at top)
4" Def RDL's #315 strait wt. x20x1 (*Crossfit ha ha) Donned the straps & bar touching my arch on each rep, phuck, paused at top at number15 for a few breaths then blew out the last 5.
Oly Squats clse stance #315 x5x2 x8x1

Zerchers Pin #5 #225x5
#315x2
#405x1 (Static farggin' ab work ha ha ha)

Pull Dwns #205 x10x4

Pwer Shrugs #405 x15x3

Well after the speed pulls I wanted some lighter ham/glute work so I went to a high rep set. Was gonna quit at 15 but took a few breaths holding the weight at top and crammed in 5 more for the 20. The last rep felt like someone was pouring lava down my back and legs. kicked me pretty hard, but I held on for the squats.
Funny but maybe the BCAAs kicked in (took small scoop b4 W/O with my 2 Anabetas and a little creatine) since after the squats, I seemed to get a good second wind and hit my pull dwns and shrugs harder than I figured.
Legs are rubbery and shaky feeling. Next Wed will be the next pull session.
* There was a joke on another board about a guy hitting #500x10 in the DL and most on the board thought that was pretty bad arse. One guy said well, #600x10 is bad ass. #500 x20! is pretty dang good, #500x10 is Crossfit.
Didn't Benny do #575 x20 or somethin'??? (When I grow up I wanna pull just like him and KK)

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lol^^^

And man you have some series back and leg strength with these pulling sessions. The volume of them is all up there. Like a Dan Green Dead lift party haha

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey thanks guy it is likely my best/only forte, but like Atomic Freddie Peterson says, (70 yrs Old and pulls #680 or something) it takes lots of hard work to get there and I think I have paid some dues over the years. Somedays I do feel I am doggin it but I have certainly brought up my work capacity over the months/years and W/O's to see what I am capable of and where I start to break down.

Here is another guy I chase and is a secret hero of mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvy4l_BDjjM&feature=c4-overview&list=UU7LZjUMB42LHiWdn4tuHb-w

I think he hit #804 under #200BW...!
I have never seen anyone grinding out a rep like this guy^. Almost looks scary. Gotta wonder what his BPressure reading is at the top of some of those pulls.

Benny #575 x22...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlq9_QMMQq0

Atomic Freddie 70+ years old...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlY9LjACTg

Bob Gaynor...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK6_DD8vAoE

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Monday 9/23

OHP's #135 x2x8
#115 x5 Superslow

Inclines #145 x10x5

2" Deficit Speeds #225+2 greens x2x5
Cleans #135 x20 cardio/traps/shoulders

Hanging Knees Raise slow x20 (lft side cramping)

Cable Tri Extens #75 x12x4
Seated Press dwns #75 x10x2

More BBing stuff more or less. OH Presses felt good today. Stable and no aches.
Did some cleans to get HR up some and pump some blood around the low back and up.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha, awesome, another puller in the house! Love the videos being posted here.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, Benny is basically a fork lift.

Wednesday 9/25

15" Pin Pulls #565+#100 Chains x2x3
2" Deficits from floor #545 x3
#515 x3x2
#500+#100 chains x1x2 (This last x1, wanted to stall at knees but I kept it moving and eked it out)
1" Deficits #500x3
1" Def #405x8

Zerchers #225x2
#315x1
#365x1x2

Bench Rows #180x10x4
Bent Rows #220x8x4

Shrugs #405x15x3

Well the 15" pin pulls were slow up past the knees, but were all made, so I was happy. (When I did move to the floor, or actually the 2" defs. I was beat up and did not have a ton of power. The #545x3 was okay but slower than I wanted. I backed down then to the #515 and did a few singles with the #500 + chains to still get some rep work with weight up over #600.
It has been 3-4 weeks now, so I gotta do some lower floor work perhaps next week and see where I stand. I could not get a feel today, since the x2's from the 15" pulls, really drained my power some.
Passed on squats for a few zerchers.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your deadlifts are insane. Training wise- What's best thing you've ever applied to help your deadlift?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn, nice workout.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Your deadlifts are insane. Training wise- What's best thing you've ever applied to help your deadlift?
Also, any tips for keeping your body healthy enough to do this volume and weight for a long period of time?

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can only imagine you deadlifting while singing now. :)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks everyone. You are great motivation whether you know it or not.

I wish I could say chains, deficits, bands, speeds ME's etc. etc, but I do think toro speaks the main #1 thing. Just being really determined and never never never never giving up on hard work. Pushing my body at times and then hoping it rebounds for the next session. I still have trouble pulling back when I should or hitting it harder, when I should. Pretty instinctive training. Chase someone, there ya go. I am actually somewhat small boned thin wrists and ankles. But I hate when people tell me I will never get there. Stay motivated or look for stuff that amps you. Make damn sure you are having fun, because when it gets to be work for me, my strength drops.
Believe me, I have had my share of pains and strains and have been told by docs years ago to quit or "just keep it toned", but I seem to have a disease called, I am not enough (dangerous I know) and I am not very content for very long after a gain. The thrill IS in the chase for me. And it seems to just be chasing my own last PR. Myopic I know. But I just love getting real good and greasy beat up at this ****.

I used to be a high rep (1 setx20's) guy and just used to love putting my ass on the floor for 5-10 minutes after every squat or dead W/O. I kinda started getting into heavier lower reps and MEish stuff over the last 5 or so years and have never looked back much.

I think some numbers are pretty big roadblocks mentally. Once you hit them a few times they get easier to believe in.
Deadlift voodoo, a friend of mine calls it.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Friday 9/27
Rack BP's from pin 10 #275x3x3
#315 x1x3
Chest CG #155 x10x2

BNP's #80x10x5

2" Deficit Speed Pulls #225+ 2 greens x3x3
Same RDL's x12

Leg Raises x30

Lying tri presses #90 x10x4

More BBing.
Did some Speed Pulls and RDL's for my last Weds. low back recovery.
Weekend...Yee haaa.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The man recovers from Deadlifts with Deadlifts. You are the man! Haha

And solid presses from the pins. That is hard as hell.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha, thanks Rob, but my pressing is actually a punchline...!

9 /30 Deload

2" Deficit deads #365 x6x4

Squats #275 x6x4

15" RDL's Pins #315x12x2

4" deficit pin pulls #315x8 (for ham stretch)

Low Cable Rows #200 x12x4

Static Holds #605>til grip gave out... x2

Man, I do hate deloads with a passion. It's like I never feel much if any progress doing them at all and they suck and they don't even give coupons. Probably good 2day however, since I felt very flat today and almost weak & low energy. Crappy day a t work too.
Deloads are like missing an orgasm, or getting pizza with someone who only likes cheese and nothing else on it. Or someone invites you over for a turkey dinner and they put apples, peaches walnuts and raisins in their stuffing, but don't make turkey gravy or mashed potatoes. DELOADS Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.............!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm thinking of approaching deloads a little differently this time around.

As my programming has me doing exclusively bilateral barbell lifts throughout my training cycle (so far), I think when I hit a deload I'll do a week of unilateral work for lower body and dumbbell work for upper body, and just push reps out to keep it both challenging and enjoyable while still giving my CNS a break.

Before I really had to take a full deload every so often because my joints would feel trashed and/or I'd start developing tendonitis, but my shoulders have been feeling pretty healthy, as have my hips and knees, so I think I can get away with this for now.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah you may be onto something. I deload by instinct first off, since I might have a scheduled DLod but feel really strong that day and want to kill it, so I don;t deload. When I start feeling really flat, then I talk myself into pulling back. I might just do a completely different thing like all assistance or just whacking the ****zen out of hypers, GHR's, pull throughs and try a route like that.

All I know is, I do not like deloads.

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha, thanks Rob, but my pressing is actually a punchline...!

9 /30 Deload

2" Deficit deads #365 x6x4

Squats #275 x6x4

15" RDL's Pins #315x12x2

4" deficit pin pulls #315x8 (for ham stretch)

Low Cable Rows #200 x12x4

Static Holds #605>til grip gave out... x2

Man, I do hate deloads with a passion. It's like I never feel much if any progress doing them at all and they suck and they don't even give coupons. Probably good 2day however, since I felt very flat today and almost weak & low energy. Crappy day a t work too.
Deloads are like missing an orgasm, or getting pizza with someone who only likes cheese and nothing else on it. Or someone invites you over for a turkey dinner and they put apples, peaches walnuts and raisins in their stuffing, but don't make turkey gravy or mashed potatoes. DELOADS Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.............!
^ this made me both hungry and sad.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha hungry eh??? I made hot wings on my Weber yesterday and enough so I would have some leftover for my lunch. Guess what??? The oinking pig that I am and how absolute great my wings are, I ate all of them with some celery and a few bottles of Great Lakes Burning River. Wow, I didn't think of any of my friends while I was eating...!

Wednesday: 10/2
OHP's #135x1x5
#115x5x4
BNP #95 x10

CGBP's #135 x10x5
Inclines #135x8x3

Laying Leg Raises x35

2" Def Speed Pulls #225+ Greens x2x3

GM's #135x15 (wow stiff like I am growed together. You remember Billy Bob Thornton in Slingblade tellin' the kid he couldn't play football again for a month!? Just you youngin' guys wait. I used to be bullet proof too. You get to look forward to all this fun horse puck)
Squats#135x15 (same greasy joint stuff)

Pull Dwns #150 x12x4 (swear to God I can row or do some kind of lat work everyday 2x on Sundays)

Tri Press dwns #70x12x4

Deloading and BBing. Oh boy....!
Had to loosen my hips and legs from the Monday Squats. Since I had not done any serious squatting for over a week or so, I knew I'd be a bit stiff and sore. (How sore were you???) I was so sore, I dropped my wallet, then told a homeless man, he could have the $75.00 in it, it if bent down and got it for me. Haaa buddda bing....!

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha hungry eh??? I made hot wings on my Weber yesterday and enough so I would have some leftover for my lunch. Guess what??? The oinking pig that I am and how absolute great my wings are, I ate all of them with some celery and a few bottles of Great Lakes Burning River. Wow, I didn't think of any of my friends while I was eating...!

Had to loosen my hips and legs from the Monday Squats. Since I had not done any serious squatting for over a week or so, I knew I'd be a bit stiff and sore. (How sore were you???) I was so sore, I dropped my wallet, then told a homeless man, he could have the $75.00 in it, it if bent down and got it for me. Haaa buddda bing....!
That's one expensive cup of grandpa pudding :p

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Friday 10/4

Squats #225+#100 Chains 5x5 (paused last set bottom 3 sec count yes I watched Herds vids)

GM's #225+#100 Chains x8x4

2" Def Speed Pulls #225+chains x2
#275 " " x2
#295 " " x2
#315 " " x2x3

Close Grip Pull Dwns #170 x10x4

Shrugs #405 x15x3

Bike 10 mins

Pretty easy day. Some repping.
Need to get my work capacity and fitness level up some. I seem to get winded moreso than in the spring. Summer was to laxed for me I guess.
Got a big cherry tree down up in my backyard, so it looks like I can do some hand splitting by axe. Might help me act like "Ross Enamait" training...!