Joe's comeback training log

Joe_P

Awards
A little about myself, I am just getting back into lifting the last few months after basically a two year layoff and a year of jerking around before that. I had posted on the message boards for more than a decade prior to that. I figured a new name would give me a fresh start. I used to compete a little in powerlifting in the past, and was lucky to get to lift with great guys like Joel Toranzo, John Bernor and Chris Taylor. I am more of a push pull guy as I have some issues with one of my legs due to some issues that are long winded although I have started box squatting lightly again after many years. I am not sure about gear again, but my bench goals don't involve it right now. I was a around a 550 bencher in a single ply, and around a 450 bencher raw, and my best dead I believe was 650. I am slowly working my weight down to 245-250 and am 6'3. I am a longtime drug free lifter and I have read this board and posted here and there for years. I figured it was a good place to keep a log. As of now I train at work at lunch. I was able to build a gym here with some goodies such as a reverse hyper, rack, deadlift bar, squat bar, close to grand in plates, landmine with the attachments, bands and some other things. I will take a pic one day and post it up. It definitely gets the job done.

Joe_P

Awards
Not a very exciting first post but 30 minutes on the stepper today at lunch.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Welcome back in the game.... some impressive numbers you had in the past.

Good luck, will be following;)

Joe_P

Awards
flat bench 325x3 all comp paused

CAT bench 295 4x3 (as explosive as possible, last set was real good)

Dead Bench 300 5 singles 90 second rest each (bottom up pin presses from about the chest)

Tried to do 185 for 12 with where you press every five seconds and keep it on your chest the rest of the time. I got to 8 and was spent.

mini band flys 3x12

light band try pushdowns 3x15

Building my training off Josh Bryants principles. I like it so far. Can only get better from here.

Joe_P

Awards
Moderate stance Goodmornings worked up to 325x5

Reverse Hypers multiple sets, multiple weights up to 6 plates for 10

Close stance stiff leg Gm's 3x8 105 worked them down tight until my hamstring were really stretched.

Have a strange sore muscle in my lower back on the side where my hip meets. Took it easy as I don't need a pulled muscle.

Joe_P

Awards
30 minutes on stepper. Muscle in back is still feeling funny.

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
welcome back to the game, any plans or meets you have your eye set on?

Joe_P

Awards
Honestly I don't have any idea. I have some goals I want to hit like a 500 raw bench and a 700 geared pull, but I don't know at what point I will get back on the platform. As long as I keep going I will at some point. Also the guys I used to train with are out of the sport.

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
hit up some of the federations pages on fb and see if theres a team or something in your area. or even on plw say your from whatever area and looking for a gym or team. stay with it man. those are pretty impressive numbers you had and will have again.

Joe_P

Awards
I still know some people in the tri state area (NY NJ CT) and I have no problem competing when I am ready. I just had a kid 10 weeks ago, so I am a little short on time. If I can get something in 2014 I will be happy.

Joe_P

Awards
Got a little time to train today, yesterday was stuck in meetings all day.

parallel box squat, no belt or briefs. 235 2x2
285 6x2

Sumo deadlift 225x8, 315x5, 365x3. Figured I would call it.

I think I am going to play around sumo, I have not pulled sumo in about 7 years. Worst case scenario is when I go back to conventional my hips are stronger. I think I am going to squat/dead on Mondays, and do all lower accessory on Wed. Keep bench on Friday and do some accessory work on Sundays.

Joe_P

Awards
Comp paused bench 315, 335, 355, 375 all easy, but strained my pec on the last rep. Going to stop using erase I feel it dries me out too much. Maybe it is in my mind. This cut the workout short, but I have done this half a dozen times or so. When you are tall with long arms this can happen and it usually is a two week recovery. This was the first time working up singles in at least 3 years.

light band pushdowns 3x15

band pullaparts 3x12

band face pulls into Y presses. 3x10

suitcase shrugs 3x8

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Heal fast, man.

Joe_P

Awards
Box squat, parallel, raw no belt. 195, 215, 235, 255, 285x2, 305 2x2

Sumo deads. 315x3, 365, 385, 405x1

baby steps every week add up to quite a bit over time. I will hammer the assistance on Thursday.

Have been lazy on stretching at night, noticed it today in a big way.

Joe_P

Awards
Just ordered a competition bench from Edge Fitness Systems. The gym is really coming along.

Joe_P

Awards
SLDL 275, 315x8

Stiff leg GMs. Very strict, very tight arch. 105, 125, 145x8. These burn the hammies and are hard for me to find the groove. But they stretch is real nice.

Reverse hypers 6 plates 3x10

Band pullaparts 4x10

Double mini facepull, rotate, Y press 3x10

Trying to figure out the plan, my magic carpet sled came yesterday. This is probably going to allow me to workout on Sundays as well pulling the sled and doing band work, chins, and some light dumbbell work outside.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SLDL 275, 315x8

Stiff leg GMs. Very strict, very tight arch. 105, 125, 145x8. These burn the hammies and are hard for me to find the groove. But they stretch is real nice.

Reverse hypers 6 plates 3x10

Band pullaparts 4x10

Double mini facepull, rotate, Y press 3x10

Trying to figure out the plan, my magic carpet sled came yesterday. This is probably going to allow me to workout on Sundays as well pulling the sled and doing band work, chins, and some light dumbbell work outside.
Damn, some heavy aass reverse hypers. Is the range of motion really short on those stiff leg GMs?

Joe_P

Awards
Herder, the GM's have a shorter ROM in the beginning of the set than they do at the end of the set. Because I reverse the weight before my legs unlock or my arch breaks the further into the set I get the more I am able to stretch I think my back is getting stronger, and the Reverse Hyper weight is moderate for the swinging (not uncontrollably) variety but as of right now I have to work on my head and just getting mentally used to pulling heavier weights. My last set currently is still what I used to warmup with.

Check out the deadlift videos by Matt Wenning, that is why I started doing them. I am also of the belief that if you can get stronger without lifting heavy all the time, that is a good thing.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a good point about the stretching. I didn't think of that. I definitely agree that heavy weights aren't necessary to build strength. As long as it's above 65% and moving explosively, it's going to get results.

Joe_P

Awards
Playing around with bench, pec still not right. So did a bunch of reps at 135 and 185

band flys 4x15

band pushdowns 4x15

Rolling tricep extension 3x10

suitcase shrugs 3x10

band pullaparts 3x15

hammer curls 2x10

Joe_P

Awards
parallel box squat, no briefs or belt. 235x2, 255x2, 275x2x2, 295x2x2, 315x2x2

sumo deadlift 315, 365, 405, 405, 405x1
dropped down and 315x8 these were kind of all over the place. I don't have that fluid motion I did with conventional. But it will come.

All done during lunch. Edge Fitness said my bench is shipping this week. May have it put together and ready to bench Friday. Hopefully the pec is feeling better.

Joe_P

Awards
Yesterdays workout

SLDL 225, 285, 335x8

Wide stance two are kettlebell swings 40lb bells, 3x10

Reverse Hypers 3x15 4plates

Band pullaparts 5x15

Chugging along. Feeling OK, back is still feeling funny in places. Probably going to start pulling a sled and increasing my volume a little over time.

Joe_P

Awards
bench 225x10, 275x2x8 nice and slow like a bodybuilder. Pec is feeling good, should be able to open it up next week.
band flys 3x15 done in between sets of bench

rolling skull crushers with a mini band 3x10

band pushdowns 3x15

band face pull into Y press 3x8

hammer curls 2x12

Joe_P

Awards
front delt raises 3x15

side delt raises 3x15

landmine rear delts 3x10

suitcase shrugs 3x10

meadows rows 3x10

face pulls 3x10

this is the workout I need to make sure I start getting in every week.

Joe_P

Awards
Week has been a little screwed up

Sumo deads, worked singles up to 455. Not sure how many, just working on form. I have done these raw a total of 3 times in my life.
365x5 I am still not good at pulling reps sumo

SLDL 225, 275, 345x8

Reverse Hyper 6 plates x3x10

All in all felt good. Sumo singles are starting to feel good.

Joe_P

Awards
Bench worked up to 315x3 with long pauses. This was like a warmup but need to start over.

CAT bench 275 4x3

dropped it down and did a set of 225x15 Pec is feeling about 90%. Still notice something, but no pain or discomfort.

Band cable cross overs 4x15

skullcrushers with a mini band under the bench 3x10

band pushdowns 3x12

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sumo deads, worked singles up to 455. Not sure how many, just working on form. I have done these raw a total of 3 times in my life.
365x5 I am still not good at pulling reps sumo

SLDL 225, 275, 345x8
Some nice strong pullin' there Joe...!

Joe_P

Awards
Thanks Paul. Just seeing where it takes me.

Front raises 3x15

side raises 3x15

face pulls 3x10

meadows rows 3x8

suitcase shrugs 3x8

half hour walking on treadmill

Joe_P

Awards
box squats no belt or briefs 145, 185, 235, 285x5

30 minutes on elyptical

Body weight is in the high 260's to 270. That needs to come down considerably. That is goal 1 right now. shooting for 252 as a goal.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn man, very strong bench. I'd love to see you pull like you were pulling before, and even beat your old PRs. 700's a sweet number.

Also happy to see another 6'3 guy rocking the weights. My squat sucks, too, but that's mostly because it sucks.

Joe_P

Awards
Damn man, very strong bench. I'd love to see you pull like you were pulling before, and even beat your old PRs. 700's a sweet number.

Also happy to see another 6'3 guy rocking the weights. My squat sucks, too, but that's mostly because it sucks.
I would love to see that myself lol. I am actually progressing nicely now, I think in the long run sumo will benefit me more. As far as squatting, I think I am going to continue to box squat raw for some time and see where it gets me. Sometimes when you don't think about things they sneak up on you in a good way.

Joe_P

Awards
I have not been feeling well all week and called out of work on Wed which means I did not train. My comp bench from edge fitness is now assembled and in the gym and kicks ass. Workout not so much. My pec started giving me trouble again, it may have something to do with not being properly hydrated. I also need to go back to my tried and true upper body work which included standing strict overheads and chins sprinkled in all over the place. Just did some reps yesterday.

bench 225x8 long pauses
275x5 long pauses
225x10 long pauses
275x7 long pauses at this point I was loosening up but not going to push it.
245x10 called it day did a little work but left uninjured.

band flys 4x15
band pushdowns 4x15
band pullaparts 4x15

As I said I have been under the weather a bit, so I am staying conservative. I am also wondering if I need a conditioning phase for a month on the bench. Maybe some higher reps because I am not getting ahead at this point. My bench was in the 400 range a few weeks ago before I strained the pec.

Joe_P

Awards
Standing strict shoulder presses 135x5, 155x5, 155x8. I was going to go heavier but their are these arms that extend off the top of the hammer strength power rack I was training on that I kept hitting. I had to walk so far back I was not thinking it was good idea to go up in weight.

chins 4x5

suitcase shrugs 3x8

meadows rows 2x8, dropped down as my grip was about done, 1x10

front and side raises 2x10 of each

hammer curls 2x10

This is what my other upper body workout should look like.

Joe_P

Awards
Decided to shut it down for a week plus due to some bad allergies, a swollen knee, and the pec strain that seems to be bothered by everything. Came back feeling OK

Reverse Hypers 2x15 4 plates
SLDL worked up to 365x8
sumo deads worked up to 365x5
Reverse Hypers 2x10 6 plates
band kneeling crunches 3x?

Benching tomorrow, we will see how it goes.

Joe_P

Awards
Benched today felt OK. Did lots of warmups and different sets and reps to get loose. Then did

275x12 These were not pumped out, I made sure each rep was a full single with a good lockout to test my pecs out. Felt really good.
225x12 same type of reps ,waited about 2 minutes between sets.

Band pushdowns 5x12
band pullaparts 5x12
face pulls into Y presses 3x8

That's all she wrote.

Joe_P

Awards
Standing strict shoulder press worked up to 185x5 and then 135x8

suitcase shrugs 3x10

chins 5x5

landmine rear delts 3x10

side raises 3x12

hammer curls 3x12

this really bores the **** out of me.

Joe_P

Awards
Yesterdays workout, took it easy as was sore for some reason still from Thursday. I guess after taking a week and half off that happens

worked up to 285x5 on moderate stance GM's

narrow stance straight leg GM's 3x8 145

Reverse Hypers 3x15 4 plates

band pullaparts 4x15

Today was 30minutes on the elliptical.

Joe_P

Awards
box squats worked up to 285x5

Dimmel deadlifts 135x12, 185 2x12

Reverse Hypers 6 plates 3x10

face pull into Y press with 2 mini bands 3x8

So, after 9 month my glutes are firing properly. Workout was pretty easy.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good to hear that the upper body is feeling back together somewhat. When are you planning on dialing up the workouts?

Joe_P

Awards
I will slowly start adding in some volume back to my bench day and probably my deadlift day. I have not squatted in so many years I am just going to start slowly going up and see what happens. Box squatting raw is really tough but I am starting to get the feel for it. I have some abnormal bone growth under the teardrop part of my quad and I crushed all the tissue in it, and god knows what else, pretty bad loading stones about 5 years ago. It has not been the same since and any leg work I do has to be posterior dominant or it really swells up. I really don't want to have surgery to be honest, so this is my way of working around it.

Joe_P

Awards
Did 35 mintutes on the elliptical yesterday.

Today

Bench 225, 275, 315x8 all felt nice and easy. Chest feels good, albeit a little weaker on the side I strained.

band crossovers 4x15

band pushdowns 4x12

band pullaparts 4x15

band rotators 4x15

All in all probably ready to start ramping up my bench training.

Joe_P

Awards
Standing strict Overhead worked up to 195x5 and then did 135 2x8

chins 5x5

landmine rear delts 3x10

wide grip cable rows with a second hold at the chest 3x10

side/front laterals 2x? no clue how many I did.

Started walking on the treadmill and almost **** my pants at 25 minutes. Called it a day just after I blew up the bathroom.

Joe_P

Awards
revers hypers 2 plates and a quarter a side 2x12

SLDL's worked up to 385x8

Reverse hypers 3 plates a side 3x10

face pulls 4x12

Feeling good finally.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some pretty solid SLDLs man.

Joe_P

Awards
Thanks, things are coming together nicely. Squats are going to take longer, but that known when I started back up. My mobility is **** and I have limited time. Between work and a 4 month old at home it is tough to find extra time.

Joe_P

Awards
box squats worked up to 305x5

Good mornings conv deadlift stance worked up to 285x8

Dimmel Deadlifts 225 2x12

So I have my rack savers and chains for suspending the bar for GM's. Twice now I have bought hooks that don't fit for one reason or another. I am getting annoyed. Work Gym is getting pretty set, just need 120lbs of chain an SS bar and some 10 lb plates I can make heavier dumbells and I should be set.

Joe_P

Awards
bench 315x5 all paused
Cat bench 275 4x3
chins 4x5
band crossovers 4x15
band pushdowns 4x14
bandpullaparts 4x15