Tossing Weight With Torobestia: Powerlifting Log

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's been a while since I've kept a log here at AM. I hope my friends from other logs and anyone else will join me here while I kick some ass.

In the time since I last logged here, I made a switch from DC training to powerlifting. During the last log I kept, I had injured my hip from continually squatting with a tilted hip posture that cause an impingement. I began westside training and maintained/gained some strength in the bench and deadlift while rehabbing my hips. I moved to some Juggernaut style training in March, and I competed in my first meet in the 242lb class, hitting 470/315/585 for a 1370 total:
[video=youtube;IDsebJoCDLM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDsebJoCDLM[/video]

Unfortunately missed 350 bench due to a violation (butt came off bench), so I'll have to concentrate on working on resolving this issue.

Beginning next week, I will be following a 5/3/1 protocol for my training. You will see me employing some newer methods described in "Beyond 5/3/1" training manual including joker sets and first set last in order to handle heavier loads and implement more volume in the main lifts. Right now I'm in a strength and mass building mode where the focus is on building my base. I think this is a limiting factor for my squat, while my bench and deadlift will surely benefit from this in the longer run.

This week is a deload week for me. More to come later.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As I mentioned, this week is a deload week because I just did a meet about 4 days ago. I actually feel pretty good considering - after my meet, upon encouragement from my gf I did some stretching and foam rolling to relieve tension and stress I may have developed in my hips.

The following day, about 24h later, after driving back 9h I went to the gym to foam roll my back for 30-60s as well as do several bodyweight hyperextensions. So yesterday, after my normal warmup, I actually felt pretty good.

Yesterday benched for sets of 5 from 125 up to 185, did 3x10 barbell rows superset with 3x20 band pullaparts, and then I did some arms and facepulls. Today will be some squatting up to maybe 275 for sets of 5, then some OHP and some deadlifts later on. Real **** will begin Sunday.

On to my plan, what I'm playing around with right now looks a lot like this:

Sunday - Bench
Bench 5/3/1
Joker Sets
Bench FSL AMRAP
Press Variant
A1) Barbell Rows
A2) Band Pullaparts
B1) Extension Variation
B2) Curl Variation
B3) Facepull/Cable Rows

Monday - Squat
Squat 5/3/1
Joker Sets
Squat FSL 3x8
Speed Pulls
GHR
Hanging V-Ups

Wednesday - OHP
DE Press Variant
OHP 5/3/1*
OHP FSL AMRAP*
A1) Pullup Variant
A2) Band Facepulls
B1) Delt Raise Variant
B2) EZ Curls
B3) Band Pushdowns
B4) DB/Cable Flies

Friday - Deadlift
Deadlift 5/3/1
Joker Sets alternating 2" block pull, 2" deficit, and from the floor to a 95%+ lift
Deadlift FSL 4x5
Speed Squats
Front Squats/SSB Narrow Squats
GM
Rope Ab Crunches

I have the details written out on how I will load each exercise and vary the volume throughout the week, but it's too much of a pain to post here so you'll just have to bear with me.

Press variants and pullups will be done with a fixed load per cycle, and I'll increase reps week to week. Press variants will be to work weak points in the bench for me. FSL = first set last.

I'm experimenting with OHP in my training. I eliminated OHPs completely the last 24 weeks leading to my competition, and while I didn't do well in the bench event this was because of a technical violation, not because I couldn't handle the weight. I actually got significantly stronger in the bench not doing any overhead pressing, so I'm wary of including it. On the 1s week I might find that doing OHP in addition to speed work is too much and may either increase from doing 5/3/1 on OHPs to 8/5/3 or something, or I may drop OHPs on the heavy weeks, or eliminate OHPs altogether. We'll have to see.

Lastly, I may consider for the squat, bench, and OHP switching my 5s and 3s week and not doing joker sets on the 5s week, kind of like 5/3/1 powerlifting or SVR training.

This is the plan so far. I know, not a lot of unilateral bench or leg work, but tough ****. We'll see how this goes. I'm sure over time certain lifts will get swapped out for others and I can vary barbell lifts with more DB or unilateral work. My aversion to unilateral work is only because lunges are often a go-to for people and I can't do lunges due to a toe injury, so I do step-ups and bulgarian split squats.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another Toro log! I learned a ton from your Westside log, looking forward to this one. Congrats on the meet, that's a nice total. That 315 bench looked fast and smooth, no doubt you could hit 350 without any technical errors. I'm super jealous of your deadlift.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, herder. Glad to have you here. Yeah, I actually was fearful I was going to bomb out because of the bench, which I actually felt strong for for once in my life. I'll be working on my form to see what can be done.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lookin forward to your continuous droppage of knowledge.

I like the idea of 3/5/1 (like you mentioned), AMRAP sets on 5's week (but shut deadlift down early....bleh), singles up to training max on 3's week, then work into doubles and triples at training max in later cycles, and 5's week working singles beyond training max, or add bands/chains or blocks. That's just my opinion, another variation I thought about doing. Maybe you could vary cycle to cycle.

I did the pyramid with my OHP, then rest-pause at 65%. Whole lotta reps and whole lotta blood flowing. Just another idea.

Kick some ass, sea bass

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am going to have to follow this. Your stuff always seems pretty legit...and you are in VA so ya. :D

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the idea of 3/5/1 (like you mentioned), AMRAP sets on 5's week (but shut deadlift down early....bleh), singles up to training max on 3's week, then work into doubles and triples at training max in later cycles, and 5's week working singles beyond training max, or add bands/chains or blocks. That's just my opinion, another variation I thought about doing. Maybe you could vary cycle to cycle.
Yeah, that's something I had thought about way in advance and somehow forgot about when designing this cycle - actually doing AMRAP deadlift sets. So, in the past I've done this and it's made my deadlift go up, but this was when I would do 2 working sets of deadlift total, one a high intensity/heavy set and the other an AMRAP set. So, I might look towards doing my deadlifts more like the advanced 5/3/1, not worry about the submaximal work until after I do the joker sets, or something else. Still have till I guess next Friday to decide!

I am going to have to follow this. Your stuff always seems pretty legit...and you are in VA so ya. :D
Thanks, bolt. Whats your last statement about, are you in VA, too?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya fellow VA resident here. ;)

I am going to try and not even think about AMRAP Deadlift sets. Workout called for sets of 5 on Tuesday and it was the most horrendous experience I have had in awhile. :D

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, AMRAP sets for me were supposed to be around 12 but gradually settled at about 6-7.

Now, rack pulls, those I can do for sets of 15+. I miss rack pulls.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I'll be approaching my deadlift in a non-5/3/1 manner now. It's settled.

It'll be like my Juggernaut programming, and will be done somewhat in a 3/2/1 manner. First cycle will be 3s for 2" block, 2" deficit, and from the floor, for as many reps as possible. Second cycle will be those same lifts but for 2s as many reps as possible. Last cycle will be 1s, except the floor deadlift will be worked up to a new training max. The rest of my workouts will be based around the training max I hit, not a theoretical training max that I raise 10lbs every so often. I will raise my speed work weights from cycle to cycle in some manner as well; not sure exactly what yet.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had a blast last night after the gym. Met up with some buddies after our workout for a nice dinner at a new Italian joint that opened up in town, then hit up the town and checked out some bars. It was fairly casual, but we all had a great time.

Related to the gym, I was feeling pretty shut down, CNS and otherwise, because it was difficult for me to work up above a 225 deadlift (bear in mind I had just deadlifted 585 at the meet 6 days earlier). I've also eaten loads of food and haven't gained any significant weight to reflect this. So I was cautious and kept the training intensity low and didn't push anything hard. I had a good time working in with this intern, though. He would do squats with the cambered bar then I would jump in and do good mornings with the same weight (lol). I had forgotten how awesome cambered bar goodmornings can be. I just am not still 100% with setting the SSB on my back quite yet. For suspended goodmornings, SSB is the way to go but for free goodmornings cambered or straightbar is better for me.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel you on the post-meet hangover, man. My knees were hurting so much I had to switch from free to box squats, and then deadlifts were a flat out no-go. I'm enjoying my break from high intensity.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm in. :D

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Welcome, guys.

So I have some slightly disappointing news - I set some of my 531 maxes too high, at least for my bench. I only hit my 5s set for 5. Ill be shaving off another 10% from my maxes. After my top set I corrected the rest of my workout to base it on my new training max so only one set was really messed up. I want to do this right.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/08/13

BENCH 5s

PVC upper and lower back, lats. Band dislocations, band pushdowns 2x15, facepulls 1x20. ***forgot to LXC upper body***

BENCH
135-5,5
185-5
200-5
235-5
265-5 <-- need to lower TM%
Lowered TM after this to adjust rest of workout and other workouts

2-BOARD BENCH
250-6,6

NARROW GRIP BENCH PRESS
185-15

BENT OVER BB ROWS superset BAND FACEPULLS
235-5x15
red bands-5x20

EZ SKULLCRUSHERS superset HAMMER CURLS superset BAND FACEPULLS
95-14,14,11+ drop to 90x6 (weight too high, also gonna switch back to using football bar)
45-15,15,15
red bands-20,20,20

Well, this workout went alright. Real disappointing to use the wrong training max for this all. Didn't even bother touching joker sets because of this, also because I'm concerned I'm still just a pinch burnt out a little bit. Second thing is I forgot to use a lacross ball to mash my pecs, pec minor, and delts, so I was tighter on the bench than I should have been (in a bad way). Third, my hip flexors were so tight I couldn't get my feet under me so my leg drive sucked. All really sloppy mistakes. After my bench work I slugged down a mix of 10g BCAA and 1 scoop glycomyx. That plus bent over rows = nausea, lol. Didn't have my head right - will do better next time.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haven't been absent, nor have I forgotten about the log. I just haven't worked out in a couple of days. Shoulder was sore from benching, so I skipped squatting on Monday (don't like to squat with sore shoulders - asking for bicep tendonitis), and yesterday I had 3 doctors appointments, 2 of which required blood draws. So here I am today!

09/11/13

SQUAT 5s

Super squat hip mobility pre, PVC ITB and adductors, upper and lower back, lats. LXC upper body. Hip flexor stretch

SQUAT
135-5
225-4
245-5
285-5
325-10
245-8,8,8 <-- very deep, ass to ankles, etc

SPEED PULLS
310-15x1 <-- 20 sec rest between singles

GHR
BW-15
+20-15,12,12,15

HANGING V-UPS
BW-13,15,15

Spent. Haven't squatted like this in an extremely long time, and it was taxing. I'm happy with the session, except I am wary of the need to incorporate some single leg stuff. I will think of a way next cycle, maybe do it on my squat day (today) once I've built up some work capacity.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Late, but in..,
Welcome, napalm!

In other news, while today is a scheduled (well, a day late, actually) upper body day, I think I'm going to go ahead and do some split squats or something, either as a warmup or at the end of my workout, just so that my legs dont feel like death tomorrow. It's been hard to walk today and I can't even stand up without my legs shaking, and it can only be worse tomorrow without intervention.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In to learn how monsters are made!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In to learn how monsters are made!
Welcome in!

-----

Friends, I have some utterly embarrassing news to report. Worst case scenario is reality. See today's log for details

09/13/13

OHP 5s

PVC upper and lower back, lats, LXC upper body, band dislocations, band pushdowns 2x15, facepulls 1x20

BALLISTIC BENCH (PAUSE 1" FROM CHEST)
185-6x3 <-- 45 seconds between sets

OHP
115-5
135-5 <-- felt like a 6RM LOL
120-5
100-14

PULLUPS superset BAND FACEPULLS
BW-8,8,8,8,7
red bands-5x20

GIANT SET: DB SCAPTIONS, EZ CURLS, BAND PUSHDOWNS, CABLE DECLINE FLIES
20-18,17,17,17
85-15,15,15,15
high choked average band-15,20,20,20
70-15,15,15,15

So yeah, my OHP is pretty weak despite a 350 bench. I'll be setting my adjusted 5RM to be 135 and calculate out the rest of my workouts from there. Phew, humbling!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just saw this. In it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On the bright side, imagine what your bench will be when you push that up!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On the bright side, imagine what your bench will be when you push that up!
Ha, true that. I can't help but think that this just exposes some weaknesses that have developed over time. I mean if it weren't the case, wouldn't my stronger bench have translated into a stronger OHP?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/14/13

DEADLIFT 5s

Super hip squat mobility, PVC ITB, adductors, quads, hamstrings, upper and lower back, lats, LXC upper body.

2" BLOCK PULLS
135-4
225-4
315-3
405-2
455-1
475-5

DEADLIFT
345-4x4 2 min rest between sets

SPEED PAUSE SQUATS
235-8x2 <-- 30 seconds between sets

SSB SUSPENDED GMS
245-12,12,12,10,10

CABLE STRAIGHTBAR CRUNCHES
5x15

Block pulls and last set of deadlifts filmed here
[video=youtube;Uop82PjqpYU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uop82PjqpYU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Form kind of looks junky on the last 2 reps of deadlifts but seemed fine on the block pulls and the first 2 reps of the last deadift set.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Just seen this I'm in for the knowledge and experience here

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In your Opinion how much has block pulls improved your Deadlift?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honest answer is simply that it has. As long as I vary my deadlift stance and pull hard I seem to progress well. I'm doing a somewhat new plan this time around and am working in a much lower % range than usual, but the best thing for my deadlift has always been to max it like a man.

When I was more of a newbie, once I hit a 335 max for a PR, I started maxing every workout, be it for a single max or a three rep max. This made my deadlift go to 500 in well under a year. When I tried submaximal work for my deadlift my deadlift would stall and go up like 5-10lbs in a year (like it did when I did DC training or other stuff). When I switched to conjugate training, I went from 535 to 565 in about 6 months, not astounding but clearly progress. Since then I added another 20lbs and cleaned up my form substantially through this rotation of deadlifts, block pulls, and deficit pulls, so I'm sticking with something of that sort until it doesn't work anymore.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Honest answer is simply that it has. As long as I vary my deadlift stance and pull hard I seem to progress well. I'm doing a somewhat new plan this time around and am working in a much lower % range than usual, but the best thing for my deadlift has always been to max it like a man.

When I was more of a newbie, once I hit a 335 max for a PR, I started maxing every workout, be it for a single max or a three rep max. This made my deadlift go to 500 in well under a year. When I tried submaximal work for my deadlift my deadlift would stall and go up like 5-10lbs in a year (like it did when I did DC training or other stuff). When I switched to conjugate training, I went from 535 to 565 in about 6 months, not astounding but clearly progress. Since then I added another 20lbs and cleaned up my form substantially through this rotation of deadlifts, block pulls, and deficit pulls, so I'm sticking with something of that sort until it doesn't work anymore.
Awesome man,

Me and my bud try to switch it up often but we don't have a block (Tried Steppers to raise the bar but they are just way too flimsy). Trying to get it on the list of equipment but the budget gets tugged by everyone. Im nowhere close to a true deadlift as Ive honestly added 80+ lbs each year for the past 2 years. Im just picking heavy crap up and sitting it back down lol. Reeves, RDLs, Deads (sumo, stiff, and neutral), and decifits are all the my repertoire contains.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome man,

Me and my bud try to switch it up often but we don't have a block (Tried Steppers to raise the bar but they are just way too flimsy). Trying to get it on the list of equipment but the budget gets tugged by everyone. Im nowhere close to a true deadlift as Ive honestly added 80+ lbs each year for the past 2 years. Im just picking heavy crap up and sitting it back down lol. Reeves, RDLs, Deads (sumo, stiff, and neutral), and decifits are all the my repertoire contains.
I dont know if you watched or saw this in the vid I posted, but I've been using mats, including mats that make up our floor, to either elevate the plates or to elevate myself (for deficits). I'd also like to get some blocks and make what Swanson made but 2" tall. I actually think it'll be pretty easy, I just have to set out some time to do it. Shouldn't be too expensive.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I dont know if you watched or saw this in the vid I posted, but I've been using mats, including mats that make up our floor, to either elevate the plates or to elevate myself (for deficits). I'd also like to get some blocks and make what Swanson made but 2" tall. I actually think it'll be pretty easy, I just have to set out some time to do it. Shouldn't be too expensive.
In all honesty I was going to tape about 10 boxes on top of each other and see how long they last, dunno if it would work but its better than our nothing atm

Def was in on the vid and swear if only we had those my deads would be growing weekly. Curious to see what other tricks ya got in there lol

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/16/13

BENCH 3s

PVC upper and lower back, lats, LXC upper body, band dislocations, 2x15 band pushdowns, 1x20 facepulls

BENCH
135-5
185-5
200-3
230-3
255-10

SHOULDER-SAVER BENCH (this is actually what I used last week as opposed to real boards)
255-8,8,7

CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS
200-15

BENT OVER BB ROWS superset BAND PULLAPARTS
255-5x12
red bands-5x20

FOOTBALL BAR SKULLCRUSHERS superset HAMMER CURLS superset BAND FACEPULLS
100-12,12,12,10
50-10,10,10,12
red band-15,15,15,15

[video=youtube;urfBprFOYsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urfBprFOYsM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Had a great session today. Everything really felt good, shoulder mobility was up to par, and it's clear I was not ambitious with the training maxes I am using for this cycle. Should give me a great amount of ground to cover throughout this training cycle. I will still hold off on the joker sets until maybe I have a cycle of 5/3/1 under my belt.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Nice work
its cool to read your log to learn all the different things to do what goes with what

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice work
its cool to read your log to learn all the different things to do what goes with what
Hey man, welcome. What exactly do you mean about learning what goes with what? You mean how I'm pairing up exercises?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/17/13

SQUAT 3s

Super squat hip preworkout. PVC upper and lower back, lats, ITB and adductors. LXC upper body, extra rounds because of really tight pec minor and delts. Band dislocations x 20 plus single arm x10 due to tight shoulders. Band pec stretches. Felt good after this.

SQUAT
135-5,5 <-- first set not deep
225-5 <-- not deep
265-3
305-3
340-10
265-3x8 olympic style

SPEED DEADLIFTS
340-12x1 <-- 20 seconds between singles

GHR
+40-12,12,12,11

RUSSIAN LEG CURL (done on GHR, just to see how bad I've regressed)
BW-2 <-- calves cramping up one after the other in cyclical fashion, gave up, also tired

HANGING V-UPS
+10-12,12,12

[video=youtube;v78pHoiXt3I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78pHoiXt3I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Good, solid session. Probably had a few reps in the tank but I felt my upper back was starting to fold over too much. I don't think I see it in the video but I was sure it was happening. Oh well. At least the reps look good (in my eyes).

After a cycle or 2 I may consider going back to doing my GHRs like russian leg curls. Emphasis is placed much more on the hamstrings than with the traditional GHR in my eyes, which I feel more in the glutes. This is also evident in the disparity in the weight used between GHRs and the Russian Leg Curl.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Hey man, welcome. What exactly do you mean about learning what goes with what? You mean how I'm pairing up exercises?
Yea ive only been working out a year did some random stuff then settled on 5-3-1 about 6 months just nice to see different things to incorporate so my routine doesn't get stale

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed, I did the whole differing exercises (GM's, Hypers, GHR's, RDL's, SLDL's, Pull Throughs, etc. etc. and not saying they don't have a place as I still do them on occasion) but the biggest reason for my larger jumps, is getting down and dirty on regular old heavy pulling got my DL back to progressing and jumping up #120+ from old PR's.

When I tried submaximal work for my deadlift my deadlift would stall and go up like 5-10lbs in a year (like it did when I did DC training or other stuff). When I switched to conjugate training, I went from 535 to 565 in about 6 months, not astounding but clearly progress. Since then I added another 20lbs and cleaned up my form substantially through this rotation of deadlifts, block pulls, and deficit pulls, so I'm sticking with something of that sort until it doesn't work anymore.
Some form of reg pulling for me, ie: be it pin pulls or deficits ( I hardly ever pull from floor in a reg. W/O) My speed off the floor is much better from the 2" deficit work and I seem to get more power up over the knees, using the pin pulls from a few varied heights below knees ( 11" 13" 15" heights) or at that dead/crap zone, where the bar has to get past those damn knees. I almost thinnk I can get more from the floor, than I can at certain heights higher, since that certain start is horrid leverages.
Lastly, it is perhaps good to find out whether or not, one responds better to heavy hard higher intensity work and some volume/capacity (which I do) or being able to do the submax efforts (as Toro mentions) and moving up that way.

Strong work there guy and I see you are tall, so that is a loooooong pull eh!??!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
340x10?

Awesome dude...
Thanks man. Seeing if I can keep this up and hit 10 on my next squat workout. Hopefully hitting depth wont be as much of an issue as it was last week, too.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/19/13

OHP 3S

PVC upper and lower back, lats, LXC upper body, band dislocations, band pushdowns 2x15, facepulls 1x20, hip flexor stretch (it's become a must now for me to get into position on the bench)

BALLISTIC BENCH (pause 1" from chest)
185-3
200-5x3 <--45 seconds between sets (in essence, 30 seconds rest then I begin my setup which takes about 10-15 seconds)

OHP
105-3
120-3
135-7
105-14

PULLUPS superset BAND FACEPULLS
BW (at 255 now) -10,9,10,8,8
red bands-5x20 **

MEGA SET: DB SCAPTIONS, EZ BAR CURLS, BAND PUSHDOWNS, CABLE DECLINE FLIES
25-15,15,15,15
100-12,12,12,12
high choked average band-15,15,15,15
75-12,12,12,12

Great session today. Moving up on the OHP, as you can see. I hit 7 reps for a PR, maybe an all-time PR (lol), and felt good. I left a rep or 2 in the tank as per guidelines, though I went ham on the 105 and may have had 1 grinder left in the tank if that. As noted in the log **, I think I have been doing facepulls slightly wrong. I think I have been flaring my chest out too much when doing them, because when I brought my chest back in (so abs contracted, ribcage flush against body) I felt them hit my traps a whole lot better like they used to a year or 2 ago when I used to work out at my school gym and would do them on an adjustable cable. So, this is the way I need to be doing them again.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ugh, today was a really challenging day for me. For whatever reason it all started taking a nosedive around 345pm at work today, and **** spiraled south, and I ended up not getting back home till around 7pm. I all but gave up on the idea of deadlifting today, not to mention I don't have a preworkout anymore, Ragnorok seems to have been discontinued, and just generally not looking forward to driving 2h (I'm a terrible long distance driver, fall asleep in cars all my life, it's the calmness/vibration I think) tonight to see my gf. But I grabbed a sample pack of 1MR and another of some ****ty GNC preworkout, mixed it up, and blasted Slayer as loud as my car could go on the way to the gym. I skipped my hip mobility work altogether, which really ended up being a terrible idea and so I more or less roundback deadlifted all my deadlift singles from my max 2" pulls onwards. I did some hip flexor stretches in between, and by my last pulls off the floor I was back to pulling with a straight back. Oh well, at least I made the effort. I filmed my ****ty 2" deficit pulls, though on the other hand it's a pretty large PR.

09/20/13

DEADLIFTS 3S

PVC upper and lower back, lats, ITB and adductors, LXC upper body. Hip flexor stretches between pulls off the floor

2" DEFICIT DEADLIFT
135-4
225-4
315-3
405-2
455-1
490-2 <-- +5lb over 1RM, so 2 PRs in one

DEADLIFTS
395-4x4

SPEED SQUATS
245-8x2 <-- 30 seconds between sets

SSB SUSPENDED GOODMORNINGS
265-10,10,10,9,9

STRAIGHTBAR, STRAIGHTARM CABLE CRUNCH
80-12
100-4x12

[video=youtube;E3wB4mjBP_c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3wB4mjBP_c[/video]

So, I need to go back and adjust my numbers a little bit. I had forgotten my 1RM for deficit deadlifts was 485. I'll have to adjust it so that I can make a little bit more progress and have better form. Again, form was kind of junk I'm 95% sure because of lack of my usual super squat hip preworkout warmup.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I think the PR's were from the gnc preworkout lol good job in spite of your crappy day

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Vid looked good to me lower back may have been a bit rounded but who am I to say im no expert, top looked tight thou

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice PR and solid workout. I love hitting PRs even when things don't seem to be going exactly how you want. :)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys.

Yeah, it was nice to hit a PR so soon into my training. But this does make me want to go back to the drawing board and readjust my %s for my deadlift. More specifically, I clearly forgot how much lower wieght I use for deficit pulls when I designed the cycle, or at least the day I went to lift this. I might use this %s for block pulls and the first week's % for deficits. That should work out better.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/22/13

BENCH 5/3/1

PVC upper and lower back, lats, LXC upper body, band dislocations, hip flexor static stretch, band pushdowns 2x15, facepulls 1x20

BENCH
135-5,5 <-- left side totally cold, needed to warm up more
185-5
215-5
240-3, 12 (I'm sure you can guess what happened with my set of 12 ;) )
270-8

SHOULDER-SAVER BENCH
250-9,9 <-- stopped after 2nd set, things were feeling fatigued/off from the unplanned extra volume from the earlier sets

CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS
215-13 (thought I went for 14-15, doh!)

BENT OVER BB ROWS superset BAND PULLAPARTS
275-5x10
red bands-5x20

FOOTBALL SKULLCRUSHERS superset HAMMER CURLS superset BAND FACEPULLS
110-10,10,10,10
55-10,10,10,10
red bands-15,15,15,15

[video=youtube;nq1KkVy7CC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq1KkVy7CC4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Great, solid session. Made a mistake and didn't load the bar after 240, so I did an AMRAP with 240 until I slowed down at my 12th rep when I realized either my gf sprinkled some superdrol into my veggie shake or eggs this morning or I forgot to load the bar. Sadly, it was the 2nd scenario. Fortunately I still hit a really decent rep set with 270, but I had to shut down my board/shoulder saver benches after the 2nd set to avoid injury, as I felt the area was starting to feel rather vulnerable and besides I was working out solo.

As a reminder, since I started 5/3/1 I have also been taking some intra-workout calories. After my bench workout (meaning right before my back workouts) I make a shake out of 1 scoop of glycomyx and 10g BCAA. I can't exactly comment on how this is affecting my workouts but it's something I'd like to keep up for a while.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Some nice pressin there.
I hope to get up that high some day, im no expert but form looked good in the vids looked as thou u could have done a few more

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't you just hate when people you really count on don't come through and spike your nutrition with DS?