Yet another 5-3-1 by Dmax

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Making this log in hopes people can help me tune in my routine and give different exercise ideas
Stats
5'10"
Weight 230 lbs
Calories are 3000 atm tracked with myfitnesspal nomaly 40 pro 40 fat 20 carbs
Goal is to continue increase my main lifts and keep losing fat

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Yesterday
Week1 5's day
Squats
5 min walk
3x10 at 150 calf rases
Warm up 125x5 155x5 185x3
Working sets 195x5 225x5 255x6 225x5 195x8
Hack squats sled plus 35 each side 5 sets of 10
Back extensions with 25lbs plate 5 sets of 15
Bb bicep curls 5 sets of 15 at 50
Standing ab crunches 5 sets of 15

Afterwards 20 mins hiit cardio 30 sec on 30 off

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Week 1
5's week
10 mins standing elliptical
Bench
Warmup bar x10 75x5 95x5 115x3

Working sets 125x5 145x5 165x6 145x5 125x12

Db incline press 45x10x3 55x10x2

Landmine row 90x15x3 115x15 125x10

Cable tricep extensions 80x10x5

Stair stepper for 15 mins after

Not a very strong bencher I hope to improve this a lot in the the next year really enjoy landmine rows feel it really hits back
tomorrow is a day off then deadlifts Thursday if anyone has good deadlift combs let me know was thinking of doing rack pulls from just above the knee nor sure of reps schemes or how many sets

napalm

napalm

Awards
Have you established a 1rm for your lifts? Looks like you could go a bit heavier w your bench.

Post vids...

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I'll try to post some vids.
My bench used to be higher but a while back cut too deep into my calories went down to 2100 a day and all my lifts tanked bad so i was forced to reset my lifts

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Wanted to add did false grip on bench felt odd but anything different always starts that way

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I belive I read it somewhere in jim's book the he did it to help with bar travel and less pressure on the shoulder

Not really confident in my form on any of my lifts thought it mite help

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I belive I read it somewhere in jim's book the he did it to help with bar travel and less pressure on the shoulder

Not really confident in my form on any of my lifts thought it mite help
It's a trade-off. It relieves a lot of downstream pain in the elbow/biceps tendon/brachialis, but for me, it comes at the expense of shoulder stability. You can't externally rotate or "snap the bar in half" as well with a false grip. Learning how to bench with your lats and create a stable shoulder socket is going to be what relieves pressure on the shoulder.

I was in the same boat as you once, some days I'd bench my max, other days I'd be crushed by 100lbs less, depending on the shoulder. Once I learned how to bench, it fixed itself.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks for the info ill keep working on my form and watch the vids over again

gymrat727

gymrat727

Awards
Why are you doing so many exercises if you are doing wendler 5 3 1? What assistance program are you doing?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He actually states in his newest book, as well as a few articles to hit 3-4 assistance exercises and then hit bis/tris/Facepulls or whatever, something non taxing.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
This (if I read it right) should be straight out of the second edition based on the periodization bible and and a little more volume per the book 5-3-1 and beyond

Late night responds thanks to my new 5 day old baby daughter lol

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
No gym today normal day off going to spend time with wife and daughter.

Legs are very sore all the way around from Monday may pick up a foam roller today and try that

Other then that cruise the fourms read logs and watch squat, deadlift and benchpress technique vids

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No gym today normal day off going to spend time with wife and daughter.

Leg are very sore all the way around from Monday may pick up a foam roller today and try that

Other then that curse the fourms read logs and watch squat, deadlift and benchpress technique vids
The "So You Think You Can..." series by Elite FTS and the "101" series by Juggernaut are the two best for squat, bench, and deadlift technique. Happy hunting!

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks ill check out the 101 vids I think ive watched the elite fts vids about a dozen times now

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why are you doing so many exercises if you are doing wendler 5 3 1? What assistance program are you doing?
Really not that much volume present. I think it's ok.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Picked up a foam roller today at dick sporting goods came home looked up some exercises for it and gave it a shot.

Dont think it was a good idea with a good case of doms in my legs hurt like hell lol but worked through it and I hope it helps. Read up on the times to use and how so we'll see how it goes

Tomorrow is deads looking forward to it

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's when you should be using it, when you're sore. It's not supossed to feel good lol When it doesn't hurt, that means you've released that tissue.

DeFranco Agile 8 and Limber 11, YouTube it, it'll give you some other ideas as well

Pull big tomorrow!

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks ive been reading your logs and see thats what u have been doing going to check it out
What are them pull aparts about?

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Today 9-5
5's deadlift

Foam rolling legs, feel like everyone was like what the hell is that guy doing very rarely do I see someone stretch let alone roll

Agile 8 more like 5 because I couldn't remember them all lol

7 mins treadmill

Warmup 135x5 155x5 185x3
Working sets 195x5 225x5 255x8 225x5
195x10

Lungs with 25 db's 40'x3

Prone leg curls 110x10x3 115x10 120x10

Bb curls 60x10x5

Pull aparts in between all set of leg and bb curls probably about 100

Ab crunchs on ab machine 150x10x5

20 min hiit cardio on the row machine
Notes
Legs are still very sore from Monday but pulled through it. Form rolling hurt like hell again did 5 to 10 rolls per side not sure if im working the spots quite right going to roll more tonight.

Thats it, OHP tomorrow or Saturday we'll have to see how it plays out

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What's this new(er) version of 5/3/1?

Any good links on the additional info/templates that he added?
About 150 pages of different variants in his new book. Don't think any of it is on the net yet except his book

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
There is a lot but im not an advanced enough lifter to try most of it going to keep it simple for now. I dont regret buying it

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
No gym today did some accidental intermittent fasting this morning by sleeping till noon

Form rolling and stretching today

Is my doms lasting so long in my legs a sign of poor recovery or just the fact I took a week off?

Revising my goals, now its to just keep losing my stomach\inchs not so much as weight

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
He actually states in his newest book, as well as a few articles to hit 3-4 assistance exercises and then hit bis/tris/Facepulls or whatever, something non taxing.
I think I'm going to pick up his latest book for a winter refresher - I've been sticking to BBB assistance work for a while now

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No gym today did some accidental intermittent fasting this morning by sleeping till noon

Form rolling and stretching today

Is my doms lasting so long in my legs a sign of poor recovery or just the fact I took a week off?

Revising my goals, now its to just keep losing my stomach\inchs not so much as weight
DOMS could be a combination of things. Aside from the week off...did you make any other changes (diet, form, new exercises, etc)

If your diet is still 3k calories there shouldn't be any issues with recovering from a leg day on monday. I did find that the first week of each cycle I had some good DOMS but it never lasted that many days.

I think I'm going to pick up his latest book for a winter refresher - I've been sticking to BBB assistance work for a while now
BBB has always been my go to.

Going to do the same and grab the new revision, sounds worth it.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Probably the addition of hack squats normally I just did leg curls and extentions this is the first week of trying to do it right after sean pointed out I was screwing it up

So more then likely its a combination of both

The day after squats I get a popping in my hips when I lay down for bench is this a unbalance issue or a stretching thing?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably the addition of hack squats normally I just did leg curls and extentions this is the first week of trying to do it right after sean pointed out I was screwing it up

So more then likely its a combination of both

The day after squats I get a popping in my hips when I lay down for bench is this a unbalance issue or a stretching thing?
Possibly your sacroleac joint in your hip. It can pop when it's misaligned, and that pop is usually it going back into place. Various hip mobility drills can help you with that. If it feels very bad and causes discomfort, there's ways to pop it back easily. You'll know when it needs done. I get a few random pops in it after squat day but nothing major

capo180

Awards
  • Established
In on this man.

But usually when my doms get bad it's from either doing a new program with different volumes or from taking an extended time off of lifting. Bad squat doms can stick with me about a week. If you get that every week though I would look into what your eating/how much and your sleep time.. Etc. there's so much that goes into having good recovery.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Today 9-7
5's week cycle 1 for this log
Pre workout ignite 2
Intra bcaa-saa

7mins treadmill inclined

Shoulder stretching
Rotator cup exercises

OHP military 5's

Warmup- barx10 65x5 85x5 95x3
Working sets- 105x5 125x5 145x6 125x5 105x10

Face pulls- 55x15 95x12 120x10x3

Close grip bench press-barx10 95x15 105x10 135x10x3

Tabata hiit 20 sec on 10 off for 8 cycles

More stretching

Notes
Legs felt much better today. pressing was great, felt strong no clicks. neck is stiff been trying to stretch it for a couple weeks now. going to do some foam rolling tonight, probably should have done some pull aparts today but forgot about it o well.

If there is anything u would like to see me post let me know want to try to get everything spot on

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I forgot to put that on there I just did it on the arc trainer today still can't run very well for some reason

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
inihilates your shoulders lol

edit: nvmd, was thinking tabatta battle ropes

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I see in the book I missed an exercise o well ill hit it next week this is still new to me it will take me a min to remember how its layed out without looking at the book

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see in the book I missed an exercise o well ill hit it next week this is still new to me it will take me a min to remember how its layed out without looking at the book
Yeah, don't sweat the small stuff. You can always make up assistance. That's some pretty strong OHPing brotha!

longhornsp

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Try EFS. It should be downloadable from both sites. Weird
I don't think he's on EFS anymore.

I found it on amazon, dl'd to my kindle. I'm going to start it back up during winter sometime with one of the new templates, once I'm done with PHAT. I want to find the template will give me what I've got right now which is a good balance between strength/hypertrophy/conditioning. BBB always hit that spot so I'm hoping the new BBB templates look good.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He doesn't go into templates much. It's mainly variations of the main movements. A good read tho

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
No gym today

Tomorrow starts 3's week of cycle 1 squats

Going to work on my diet lowering my protein intake from 300g to 2-250 and probably up my fats to replace it.
Other then that some foam rolling, stretching and figuring out what im going to put im my routine tomorrow

Should I switch it up weekly or per cycle or what?

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Sorry assistance exercises ive read stick with the same for a few weeks also read change them up weekly. personally I like to change them weekly