Working out every other day

stevewonders

Awards
Hello I have a super fast metabolism and burn too many calories if I workout five or six days a week. Is it too much of a spread to workout like chest on Monday, back on Wednesday, shoulders on Friday, legs on Sunday, arms on Tuesday and then repeat the process starting Thursday? I tried Monday through friday but couldn't really get any gains because I think of rest...iduno

MassiveTeabag

MassiveTeabag

Awards
Hey buddy. You may not have realized it, but you made your post in the Workout Logs subsection of the Training Forum. This is where people make their training logs so others can follow their daily progress, so that's probably why you didn't get a reply yet.

As for your question, the answer is yes, you can and will make gains with an every-other split. I have a quick metabolism too and working out every other day brought me from 120 lbs to 170 lbs over a few dedicated years with a good diet. It's a good split when you have trouble with recovery and gaining weight. Don't let your quick metabolism be an excuse though. From experience, "quick metabolism" is actually synonymous with "not eating enough". You probably feel like you can't possibly gain weight no matter how much you eat but the truth is you can... you just need to eat MORE. As a general rule, never let yourself feel hungry at any point throughout the day. If you're a really thin guy, your body doesn't have much fat to break down so it will actually break down and consume muscle for energy if you don't eat enough. Try to get some type of protein every 3 or 4 hours and then just stuff yourself with good carbs like rice, veggies, etc. until you feel almost sick to your stomach. Do that at least 5 or 6 times a day and I guarantee you will start seeing a difference no matter what kind of training you're doing. You need to stretch out your stomach, so the first few days will feel tough but eventually your body gets used to the added food and you will be able to put down a lot more without any trouble.

Your split looks good although you may not want to follow up arms day with chest day, since your arms probably won't be recovered enough to put up good weight. Here's a general outline that worked great for putting mass on me. Give it a shot if you like how it looks, and remember to EAT. Also, with the every-other split you don't want to get too tied down with only taking one rest day between workouts. There will be times that you will not be fully recovered due to maybe not eating enough, or going heavy on deads for example and needing an extra day to recover your CNS... so it's ok to take two rest days in a row sometimes. Your recovery will be maximized if you don't do anything on your off days. Just lay around and eat a lot of food lol

Day 1
Chest/Tris

Day 2
Off

Day 3
Back/Hams

Day 4
Off

Day 5
Shoulders/Bis

Day 6
Off