bigger stronger faster with the help of 5/3/1

Page 25 of 103 First ... 2324252627 ... Last

1. Thanks man, just trying to keep that press moving. 165 was my max about 9 months ago and now I can rep it pretty nicely.

2. Looking forward to squatting tomorrow at some point. I'll also be starting a supplement log for controlled labs purple wraath tomorrow as well!
    •   

3. O yea, hope it goes well for u

4. cycle 11 week 2 day A

warm-ups
    hip mobility
    general stretching
    ankle mobility

squats
    warm-ups - barx10 135x6 185x5 225x4
    work sets - 275x3 295x3 310x5 (PR)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqpBfg3CW_0 275,310

RDLs
    135x10 185x2x10 205x10

leg press
    3 pps x 2x10 4 ppsx2x10

super set with
    decline sit ups
    4x20

notes
    Felt real good this morning besides sleeping for maybe 5 hours.. lol. purple wraath deff helped keep me going in the gym, i was sweating my a$s off but i remained focused and in the zone the whole duration of this workout. 310x5 is my heaviest set of 5 on 5/3/1 so far. didn't go so heavy on RDLs, but the weight will increase there next week, focused on firing my glutes hard.

5. Congrats on the rep PR. Good work.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

6. Thanks sean! its always great to get a rep PR, lets me know that I'm progressing.

Going for a ride on the purple wraath

theres my supp log for purple wraath there. follow along if you'd like. Probably will keep that more geared towards how thats working for me, and changes in volume/recovery. still be posting my workouts in full here.

7. Looked Damn good to me lots of strength there

8. thanks man. they felt great.. that week off i had seemed to help with squats. I came back fresh and strong. some of it is mental too, I'm starting to realize that I can move the weight, and I'm hitting that extra rep or two now.

9. Cycle 11 week 2 day B

Warm-ups
    Broomstick work
    Setting the shoulder
    General band stretching

Bench press
    Warm-ups - barx10 95x5 135x5 185x3
    Work sets - 200x3 210x3 225x5 (PR)
    Lilly pause - 205x3 185x5

http://youtu.be/rHUtcvfwy60 (225)

Pendlays
    135x10 185x4x6

Super set with
    Incline bench press
    135x10 155x3x8 155x10

BB style rows
    135x15,12

Banded Face pulls
    3x15

Notes
    Felt real good today. Slept good last night. 225 moved pretty well. Made sure to flare back to get last last rep locked out. All nice and pumped up right now.

10. Good work capo looked like a machine there

For a sec thought it was u doing the pull ups was like what's this

11. Thanks man! I'm noticing some flaws, I'm not pulling the bar apart hard on the way up, and my elbows aren't where i think they need to be which i think is caused by not pulling the bar a part.. But, I'm getting stronger and can never complain when i hit some sort of PR lol.

12. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    Thanks man! I'm noticing some flaws, I'm not pulling the bar apart hard on the way up, and my elbows aren't where i think they need to be which i think is caused by not pulling the bar a part.. But, I'm getting stronger and can never complain when i hit some sort of PR lol.
    It's when you unrack the bar. If you watch your scapula positioning, you'll see that you lose tightness by lifting the bar out instead of pulling it out.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It's when you unrack the bar. If you watch your scapula positioning, you'll see that you lose tightness by lifting the bar out instead of pulling it out.
    Yeah, thats been an issue for me.. should probably just get someone to unrack for me and that wouldn't be a problem. just the design of the hooks make the bar come a pretty good amount upwards, before it can be pulled forward.

14. I have the same problem when I don't get a hand off that's where my setup comes in I try to get setup so I can sort of lift it and pull it out more or less drag it out of the rack if that makes any sense

15. Quote Originally Posted by Duramaxhd View Post
    I have the same problem when I don't get a hand off that's where my setup comes in I try to get setup so I can sort of lift it and pull it out more or less drag it out of the rack if that makes any sense
    I understand why you're saying, but you send your scap into protraction by lifting up so high. Lift it up and out at the same time and lock your arms only when you get into the starting position instead of at the lift off.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

16. Hmm I think I get it now.. Thanks guys!

17. Cycle 11 week 2 day C

warm-ups
    general stretching
    hip mobility
    ankle work
    glute bridges

deadlift
    warm-up - 135x5 185x5 225x3 175x3
    work sets - 335x3 355x5 375x2,3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_AFB9YVbbM

box squat
    135x5 185x5,8,10 225x3 275x2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHMVzZK14jo

notes
    blah. farking deads again. got some video this time.. someone chew me a new @sshole lol. im starting that neck craining bs. i forgot my chucks so worked in my oly shoes, and belt. i just feel so weak on deads.. i hit 390x3 last cycle and now 375x3 was a struggle. first time at 375 i got stuck at the knees.. maybe i should just work on my glutes more, ive never actually targeted them specifically.. humping the bar a bit might help though, hip thrusts glute bridges. in other news 275x2 is my heaviest box squat to date. getting depth in wide stance would take some work though.

18. The weight looked like god damn speed with man. Plenty strong, you need to get your ass down just a few inches, especially on reps after 1. First rep isn't as bad, but it's straight stiff legs after.

Try to remember this next time. With your body tight when you grab the bar, use the weight of the bar to pull your hips down. This will get you tighter, get a hair lower and in better position. So to recap, don't think of pulling slack out, think of pulling your hips down. 135 and likely 225 will be off the ground before you start the pull, but heavier weights will just look like the slack was pulled out.

Again, the weight looked super easy for you so once you get in the zone on these they will shoot up 30lbs or so. That's what happened to me when I finally realized this.

I understand everyone is different, but I hope this helps!

Edit: crap, jumped the gun. Last set didn't look like a "speed work" set but it still looked like you had plenty of strength to handle it and then some. Other advice still applies
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

19. I agree with Rob looks like if u pulled your hips down a bit more you'll be able to drive though your heels more I believe this is one of the errors I'm guilty of on my recent DL pr attempts

But u are plenty strong make the changes rob suggests and the weight should fly up

20. Thanks guys.. Yeah the hips need to come down. Gotta get more leg drive going. Thanks rob and d max.. That using the weight to get my hips down thing has always kinda confused me. I've always kinda used to weight to get back on my heels and hips back. Should I allow my hips to come forward a bit so they can drop a bit lower? Cause I see that as Being kinda give and take there.

21. If I get an empty gym at all this week(I might Wednesday) ill make a quick video for you exactly how it was taught to me.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

22. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    If I get an empty gym at all this week(I might Wednesday) ill make a quick video for you exactly how it was taught to me.
    Thanks man I'd appreciate it.

23. Cycle 11 week 2 day D

warm-ups
    shoulder mobility
    broomstick work
    general stretching
    band pull-a-parts

over head press
    warm-ups - barx10 95x6 135x3
    work sets - 155x3 165x3 175x3 155x4 135x6

JM press
    135x10 155x10 175x2x6 135x12

super set with
    pull ups
    5x8

2 rounds of
    snatch grip high pulls - 135x8
    DB hammer curls - 25x12
    vogelphol rows - 15

2 rounds of
    face pulls - 100,110 x 15
    rope push downs - 100,110 x15

notes
    Real good lift today, pretty good energy and volume today. could of probably got 1 more on overhead press at 175, but i think x3 is a PR.. JMs at 175 were pretty rough, used my wrist wraps though and maintained decent form haha. I'm thinking 5/3/1 week will start tomorrow evening with squat day! today was garbage food wise. im not getting the good carbs i need and im taking in a lot of sugar

24. On the deads I think you just need to get a better set up and build more tension in the bottom. For those that tend to have issues initiating leg drive at the bottom or finding that right hip position I'll have them do some DL to Knees with a light weight. Get in the bottom, set up, pull to the knee, pause then go back down. While optimal leverage points may be different for some, I find that forcing some people to only work that bottom range can help get the feel of the set up. I queue trying to push the floor away with the feet (for some thinking almost like doing those 1/4 rep leg press motions you see some do helps get the mental picture) while keeping the angle of the torso relative to the floor the same until the bar reaches the knees.

Also I find pause deadlifts (for an actual 1-2s pause) can force people to correct this. If you are in a sub-optimal position coming off the floor then you will feel how horrible a pause deadlift feels and some I have even seen self correct there form when forced to pause.

PS I am extra jelly of that overhead press haha
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

25. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    Thanks guys.. Yeah the hips need to come down. Gotta get more leg drive going. Thanks rob and d max.. That using the weight to get my hips down thing has always kinda confused me. I've always kinda used to weight to get back on my heels and hips back. Should I allow my hips to come forward a bit so they can drop a bit lower? Cause I see that as Being kinda give and take there.
    This is how I do it but maybe I'm wrong. I make sure stance is good so I can get hips inside legs a bit. Flatten and tense back, lower hips and get on my heels and then lean back/pull the bar and load the quads and hips. Then pull.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

26. Thanks guys.. Im gonna try some of the stuff you said bolt, see if i can get in a better position. I've just been so mindful of trying to load the hams, and pull back on the bar, that I'm forgetting to get in a position to get bar speed/power from the floor. Well not forgetting but being ignorant of the importance of pushing the floor away and getting the quads involved. No excuses though, just gotta get in a better position.

cycle 11 week 3 day A

warm-ups
    hip mobility
    banded ankle work
    general stretching

squats
    warm-ups - barx10 135x5 185x4 225x3
    work sets - 270x3 (oops should of been 260x5) 295x3 330x2 315x2 drop to 225x5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcYLM0kGVfU 295&330

RDLs
    135x10 225x3x8

3 rounds of
    leg press - 3ppsx12
    leg curl - 80x12
    leg ext - 120x12

notes
    pretty good lift today. actually got some extra volume in for once, could of went heavier with press,curl,ext but i did it for the pump haha. buried those 330 squats, felt great. 335 is my heaviest single on 5/3/1, and that was a rough one. making good progress on squats for sure, 365 is probably a decent goal for this year. worked up a nice sweat today. weight fasted this am was 199 (still). Probably bench saturday, deads monday, ohp tues.

27. Post some more vid next session too and I'll take a look. We don't need you over complicating things either.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

28. Here's whatcha need to do, bud: Turn on some loud, angry music that suits your preference. Sniff ammonia liberally. Get a belly full of air, grab that bar, wedge yourself in until it feels like you're going to break a blood vessel and shyt simultaneously, and then explode. Good things will happen.

Optional: Back slapping and/or ear pinching during ammonia.

EDIT: I was going to link the Clint Darden youtube video about balls and attitude, but his channel has been taken down. I may die.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

29. That's what I do ^ but since we were talking fancy technique...

But really once you train an pattern your form you have to rely on it to pull through and go in there and get angry and pull as hard as you can. Know you're gona rip it off the ground. Visualize it. Do it.

30. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    EDIT: I was going to link the Clint Darden youtube video about balls and attitude, but his channel has been taken down. I may die.
    He's posting on Vimeo now. I just click on it from his FB.

Awesome squatting by the way
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 08:49 PM
  2. Panther's blowin up with the help of pSARM(SPONSORED)
    By panther77 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 238
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 01:49 AM
  3. Replies: 261
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 12:14 AM
  4. Time to get back in track -- With the help of Havoc.
    By Zombie in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 10:13 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 07:03 AM