bigger stronger faster with the help of 5/3/1

Page 2 of 98 First 1234 ... Last

  1. Subbed. Good work dude.

    Tip on your deadlifts- Reset each rep. SQUEEZE your glutes at the top!! You'll notice how your knees unlock and track forwards. Take those shoes off too.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.


  2. Thanks man. I wanna get some better shoes to lift in.. Ill try barefoot this week though.
    •   
       


  3. I started squatting and deadlifting barefoot a couple of months ago I like how stable you feel and it seems u get more to the floor could just be me though

  4. cycle 1 week 3 day A


    woke up and did some foam rolling felt nice and loose. hit the gym and did some squats! great workout today.

    warm-up
    foam rolling (groin, IT band, hamstrings)
    stretching (hips, hams, lats, chest)
    band pull-a-parts 20 reps or so

    squats
    warm-ups - barx10 135x5
    work sets - 190x5 215x3 245x5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBKjJD4SMhM
    boring but big - 135x5x10

    good mornings
    115x2x10 125x10 135x2x10

    cool down
    stretching (hips, hams)

    notes - everything felt great today.. i am going to try to squat with shoes off next week for deload week (didnt see the comment until now). got 245x5 today. pretty happy with getting +4 hopefully i can keep that going thru the week. going to do band pull-a-parts pretty often, i get a little click in my right shoulder from time to time. ive heard its from imbalance of strength within the shoulder so rear-delts are going to be hit pretty often.

  5. Nice work
    How do u like the foam roller I was thinking of getting one
    •   
       


  6. Squats looked good. I would highly recommend reading the squat section in the 5/3/1 book though. You're wasting energy and tightness dancing around before your first rep. Bouncing the knees and the foot shuffle will get you when you start to get to a heavier weight. 1-2 steps out of the rack and boom, go. You made the weight look easy though...great work



    Chucks have always worked well for me. Would like to try some OLY adidas that I've been eyeing but for me I find it hard to justify the cost (vs. benefits).


    Have you run ArA before? it's pretty good for strength...stack with carnitine

  7. Quote Originally Posted by longhornsp View Post
    Squats looked good. I would highly recommend reading the squat section in the 5/3/1 book though. You're wasting energy and tightness dancing around before your first rep. Bouncing the knees and the foot shuffle will get you when you start to get to a heavier weight. 1-2 steps out of the rack and boom, go.

    Chucks have always worked well for me. Would like to try some OLY adidas that I've been eyeing but for me I find it hard to justify the cost (vs. benefits).

    Have you run ArA before? it's pretty good for strength...stack with carnitine
    There's other very good and inexpensive Olympic shoes than the Adidas. VS and Wei-Rui are both great and under $100
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    cycle 1 week 3 day A

    woke up and did some foam rolling felt nice and loose. hit the gym and did some squats! great workout today.

    warm-up
    foam rolling (groin, IT band, hamstrings)
    stretching (hips, hams, lats, chest)
    band pull-a-parts 20 reps or so

    squats
    warm-ups - barx10 135x5
    work sets - 190x5 215x3 245x5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBKjJD4SMhM
    boring but big - 135x5x10

    good mornings
    115x2x10 125x10 135x2x10

    cool down
    stretching (hips, hams)

    notes - everything felt great today.. i am going to try to squat with shoes off next week for deload week (didnt see the comment until now). got 245x5 today. pretty happy with getting +4 hopefully i can keep that going thru the week. going to do band pull-a-parts pretty often, i get a little click in my right shoulder from time to time. ive heard its from imbalance of strength within the shoulder so rear-delts are going to be hit pretty often.
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...thy-shoulders/

    Check that out for the pullaparts. I'll do several hundred every day. It makes a huge difference. Hammering your rear delts, like you said, will be awesome as well. I'll hit my main back accessory, and then do some facepull variants or seated DB cleans.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    There's other very good and inexpensive Olympic shoes than the Adidas. VS and Wei-Rui are both great and under $100
    Good to know. I think it's something I want to look at more. But even for a $100 at this point in my lifting I'm not sure it's a make or break. Chucks have worked well for my level of lifting.

    That being said I'm not planning to ever set the world on fire with my numbers. When I get to 2x my BW on squats I'll be happy.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by longhornsp View Post

    Good to know. I think it's something I want to look at more. But even for a $100 at this point in my lifting I'm not sure it's a make or break. Chucks have worked well for my level of lifting.

    That being said I'm not planning to ever set the world on fire with my numbers. When I get to 2x my BW on squats I'll be happy.
    Touché. Chucks vs Olympic shoes=a completely different squat. If you're strong in chucks still, stick with em. There's too level lifters wearing chucks, and others in Oly. To each their own.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  11. Thanks guys! the foam roller is great, mine is a trigger point one, a bit more pricey than a regular foam roller but it hits sore muscles a bit harder.. my squat walkout isnt the greatest. i hope that doing so many sets will let me practice and help get my feet where they need to be.

    Im going to probably invest in some chucks in a couple of weeks. Im a pretty narrow squater though. i dunno if anything they are a pair of shoes that i can use for the gym even if they dont really help move more weight. i need a new pair of training shoes anyways.

    thanks for the article on pull-a-parts im going to check that out later.

  12. And as far as supps go right now I'm just on basics pre, multi v, creatine, and protein.. Sometimes modern BCAA if I train fasted.

    This will be my first time on ArA I hear it produces good strength gains.. I plan on doing 1g-1.5g a day for 50 days.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    And as far as supps go right now I'm just on basics pre, multi v, creatine, and protein.. Sometimes modern BCAA if I train fasted.

    This will be my first time on ArA I hear it produces good strength gains.. I plan on doing 1g-1.5g a day for 50 days.

    The basics are the best way to go.

    The ArA can just be used pre-workout, no need to dose it on off days. I would definitely use it with LCLT and GMS (Glycergrow or Hemavol). One of the few natty stacks I think are beneficial outside of the basics

  14. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    Yes sir, it works. Plain and simple.
    Can you link some reading material on how this program works?

  15. Quote Originally Posted by drewsicle3210 View Post
    Can you link some reading material on how this program works?
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._pure_strength

    You should buy the book on elitefts. It's well worth it.

  16. Itll be the most well spent $15 you could spend on yourself training-wise.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  17. Subbed
    If I live every moment believing, then the chaos in my heart will be a beautiful thing.-
    I am in love, but not in love with someone or something, I am in love with my life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything is inspiring.-

  18. Quote Originally Posted by longhornsp View Post
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._pure_strength

    You should buy the book on elitefts. It's well worth it.
    Nice, i like it. And I will be buying the book. Thanks bro

  19. cycle 1 week 3 day B

    5/3/1 day for bench today. got a really good night sleep. and i felt real good in the gym. weights were flying around.

    warm up

    band pull-a-parts over and underhand 15 reps each way
    stretched the pecs and lats with a heavier band attached to a pull-up bar
    lateral raises with 5 lb db 10-12 reps

    bench press
    warm up - barx10 95x5 135x5
    work sets - 150x5 170x3 190x8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdWmJ_mq7Tk
    boring but big - 115x5x10

    db rows
    45x15, 50x15, 55x15, 60x15, 65x15

    cooldown

    more pull-a-parts (under and over hand) 30 reps total
    static stretching (lats, hips, chest)

    notes - felt great in the gym today. Real strong workout. Weights moved well from the get go. I can do much more than 115 on BBB sets. Next cycle I will probably go up to 125 for those sets and see how that feels. Went a bit heavier on rows than usual with 15 rep sets instead of 20 rep sets. pull-a-parts after those rows were killer. wanted to do the elite FTS series but i was pretty worn out. probably my best day in the gym so far this summer. taking tomorrow off and then deadlifting weds.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    cycle 1 week 3 day B

    5/3/1 day for bench today. got a really good night sleep. and i felt real good in the gym. weights were flying around.

    warm up

    band pull-a-parts over and underhand 15 reps each way
    stretched the pecs and lats with a heavier band attached to a pull-up bar
    lateral raises with 5 lb db 10-12 reps

    bench press
    warm up - barx10 95x5 135x5
    work sets - 150x5 170x3 190x8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdWmJ_mq7Tk
    boring but big - 115x5x10

    db rows
    45x15, 50x15, 55x15, 60x15, 65x15

    cooldown

    more pull-a-parts (under and over hand) 30 reps total
    static stretching (lats, hips, chest)

    notes - felt great in the gym today. Real strong workout. Weights moved well from the get go. I can do much more than 115 on BBB sets. Next cycle I will probably go up to 125 for those sets and see how that feels. Went a bit heavier on rows than usual with 15 rep sets instead of 20 rep sets. pull-a-parts after those rows were killer. wanted to do the elite FTS series but i was pretty worn out. probably my best day in the gym so far this summer. taking tomorrow off and then deadlifting weds.
    Sleep does the body good!!! Nice job on the presses

  21. thank you sir. i wish i could get sleep like that all the time..

  22. Pretty sore today in the upper back, chest, and triceps areas. Need to find some way to stretch tonight.. I don't workout for soreness but I sure like that my chest is sore. Usually doesn't happen. But yesterday was pretty intense.

    Deads tomorrow.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    Pretty sore today in the upper back, chest, and triceps areas. Need to find some way to stretch tonight.. I don't workout for soreness but I sure like that my chest is sore. Usually doesn't happen. But yesterday was pretty intense.

    Deads tomorrow.
    I'm right there with you, I love when I get that soreness in my chest.

    Kill it tomorrow!

  24. cycle 1 week 3 day C

    sleep wasnt as good last night.. blah. was up and down. im kinda anxious to start this new job in a week and a half. lifts weren't bad. bar speed was down today though. couldn't get speed on my warm ups really. last set was a grinder, lacked grip strength.

    warm-up
    stretching (lats, hips, hams)
    v-sit to back roll (kinda dynamic warm up)
    hang cleans with barx10

    deads
    warm-up - barx10 135x5 185x4 225x3
    work sets - 245x5 280x3 310x6
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzY6llnsDsI
    boring but big - 175x5x10

    ab work
    tried to do hanging leg raises but my grip was dead
    hit 5 sets of decline sit ups 15-20 reps each

    cool-down
    stretching (hips, hams)
    v-sit to roll out

    notes
    I hit the number i wanted to on deads. wasn't pretty though. i forgot to chalk up and had to regrip the bar multiple times. i also ripped some skin off my hand while doing rows on bench day. that was kind of hurting. you can see my shaking my hand in the vid lol. reps were slow from the get go. grinding type of day. but i got thru it. happy with my performance.

    OH press on friday.
    cycle 3 i will be changing assistance work. so far i know i need upper back and grip work. ill learn more on cycle 2.

  25. Nice work
    Ive been taking zma for sleep made a big difference for me don't wake up groggy and if I do wake up in the middle of the night I fall right back asleep

    Been keeping an eye on you log so I can compare it to mine for ideas

    Keep up the good work

  26. did OH press day yesterday i was just real busy. bought a new car yesterday. 2014 ford fusion!

    cycle 1 week 3 day D

    warm-up
    stretch (lats, chest, shoulders)
    band pull-a-parts (15 over hand, 15 under hand)
    raises with 5 lb plates (lateral, rear, front 10-15 each way)

    OH press
    warm-up - barx10 95x5
    work sets - 5x110, 3x125, 5x140
    boring but big - 85x5x10

    chins
    5x10

    cool down
    face pulls- 100x2x15
    band pull-a-parts - 30 underhand 30 overhand
    stretching (lats, chest)

    notes - overall a good workout. increased weight on boring but big sets a little bit. im looking forward to skipping this first deload week. i see a lot of people doing that, as the first cycle of 5/3/1 isnt very heavy. there was no shoulder clicking during this workout at all. i am going to continue to add rear delt and upper back work slowly into at least 2 workouts each week.

    today is a rest day. tomorrow i will start week 1 of cycle 2 day A. squats. with weights increased 10 lbs for dead and squat, 5 lbs for bench and OH press.

  27. cycle 2 week 1 day A

    cycle 1 went by fast.. decided not to deload till after cycle 2. well onto today. slept well last night. the gym was pretty packed today so i couldn't get any video of squats.

    warm-ups

    foamroll (IT band, hams, back)
    stretch (hips, hams, quads, more hips, more hips) haha
    v-sit to roll out

    squats
    warm-ups - barx5 135x5 185x3
    work sets - 200x5 215x5 225x8
    boring but big - 135x5x10

    Good mornings
    115x10, 125x4x10

    cool down
    stretching (hips, hams, quads)
    foamrolling

    notes
    good workout. 225 felt good for the first 5-6 reps, kinda had to push out those last two. came a bit forward on rep 8. just probably fatigue. pushing on 225 made the rest of the workout really difficult. my quads were super pumped, almost painful. gonna foam roll a lot while watching the Browns beat down on Miami this after noon!! uber excited for football season. really focused on keeping a strong arch on the good mornings this time. reset after each rep. overall i feel great.

    benching tomorrow, deadlift weds, OH press friday. im gonna weigh my self in the morning as well. see where im at.

  28. Good stuff man, looking strong. I agree with skipping the deload week. I would normally say not to but until you get closer to maximum efforts it should be fine.

  29. yeah im going to deload after this cycle.. looking to add in a bit more accessory work for cycle 3 as well. i want to add front squats, face pulls, maybe sumo deads.. and probably some bench variation.. floor press/close grip maybe. im going to decide for sure in the next few weeks.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by capo180 View Post
    yeah im going to deload after this cycle.. looking to add in a bit more accessory work for cycle 3 as well. i want to add front squats, face pulls, maybe sumo deads.. and probably some bench variation.. floor press/close grip maybe. im going to decide for sure in the next few weeks.

    Sounds like a solid plan. I'm already looking forward to going back to 5/3/1 soon, probably won't be for at least another 8 weeks though.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM
  2. Panther's blowin up with the help of pSARM(SPONSORED)
    By panther77 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 238
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 12:49 AM
  3. Replies: 261
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 11:14 PM
  4. Time to get back in track -- With the help of Havoc.
    By Zombie in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Log in
Log in