napalm: 12 weeks to WPC Worlds...ya, really...

napalm

napalm

Awards
ok lets face it: i didn't qualify for worlds because i'm strong, it's because i'm old...

now that we have that out of the way, i've committed to go to the czech republic w the APF and figured i'd start a new log. the other one wasn't very good anyway :sgrin: i got 12 weeks to get ready so there's not going to be any bulls.hitting around. i'll be doing one of the variations of 531 for pl'ing, why change if it ain't broke. i'm going to try to total ~1060 ish, 410/245/405 ish. actually, i'm aiming for 1056 so i can beat jim by 1 lb :biglaugh: dl sucks cause i'm coming off of a left hammy. but it's been coming along well so it's time to turn it up a bit. 5 shoulder surgeries = no bench, it is what it is.

current maxes: 375 (at nats)/???/???. leading up to nats i was only squatting, it's been about 6 full months since i've trained all 3 lifts at the same time. since nats i've put 15 lbs on my squat by wendler's formula, so i set my squat at 390. i set my bench at 225 - i could prolly do that twice atm and dl at 380 - again, based on wendler's formula. i'd like to think that i'll be able to at least dl what i squat. i'll know as i get closer where i'll be.

as always, the goal is not to get hurt.

and on w the show...

8/5 squats - first week new cycle: 3x3 at 70/80/90% of tm

warmup

hammy and it band rolling and some stretching

bar x 2 x 5
95x2x5
135x2x5
185x2x5
225x5

work
245x3
280x3
315x3, here it is:
[video=youtube;fhFatjeeG3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhFatjeeG3A[/video]
not happy w the 2nd one, 1st and 3rd were ok. i've been struggling w depth since i took the box away a few weeks ago. it's gotta get better.

thoughts:
the 315 felt light, i gotta solve this depth thing quickly. i was kinda stupid, right after nats i started using the box again for about a month or so, took it away and all of the sudden forgot how to squat. it'll get better. mcl's were bothering me a little the past few days, so i didn't give the TM a run today (sean calls me a p.ussy. here). it's a little early to start screwing around w openers so i'll see how it goes. i'll prolly start thinking about openers in a month or so but at least for my squat it'll be around 360.

and we're off...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get some, Napalm!

Your squat is lookin' smooth. Barely shy on depth, you'll get it easily.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
By 1 huh?

No matter, I have my eye on the APF TX Cup on Oct. 19.

napalm

napalm

Awards
By 1 huh?

No matter, I have my eye on the APF TX Cup on Oct. 19.
lol, i'm lifting on the 30th, i'll have time to make some adjustments :biglaugh:

Get some, Napalm!

Your squat is lookin' smooth. Barely shy on depth, you'll get it easily.
txs bro, yeah i'll get it. it seems like i go through this every time though...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here you are! Old man's wandering off again. Might be time to put him in a home... :-D

napalm

napalm

Awards
Officially cancelled my labral repair that was gonna be sept 7, he just laughed and said I'm nuts...

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Holy ****, just seen this. In for Napalm support!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Officially cancelled my labral repair that was gonna be sept 7, he just laughed and said I'm nuts...
There's that article on EFS called "You're not cut out for this" that references Dave Tate's training log where he took a cane to the squat rack, set it aside, and hit 315+5chain for ten like a week before his hip replacement. I was inspired for sure.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Ran out of joint help last Friday, feeling it today. C'mon payday...

napalm

napalm

Awards
8/7 weak ass flat bench

warmup:
internal/external rotations 60 total
bar x 2 x 15
95x5
115x5
135x2x5

work: well, took a look at the template and decided it was too light so i just did 195x5x3.

the only known footage of napalm on the flat bench not at a meet:
[video=youtube;1Lhwpt6_Ki0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lhwpt6_Ki0[/video]

any and all comments are welcome, especially at my sorry attempt at an arch.

assistance:
vbar pushdowns stack x 3 x 10 nice and slow

facepulls
60 total at 75

thoughts:
yeah, the template had me at 145x3, 165x3, 190x3. i made an executive decision and overrode it. am i underestimating my bench? i really have no idea, only time will tell. the bench felt good, i'm trying to work the pause in and wait for the rack command now. at my first meet a couple years ago i jumped it imo on my third attempt, but he let it go. trying to keep the elbows in and upper back tight and i think i accomplished that today. shoulders feel ok today, i've been popping naprosyn like candy until i get some more joint help on friday.

note to self: don't run out of joint help.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It looked easy for you, but considering injuries and importance of how you feel the next day, I would say underestimating is a much better option than overestimating.

Looking good man.

napalm

napalm

Awards
8/8 conditioning

Prowler
20 yd x 3 to warm up a bit - high handles

Work
40 yd pulls x 6

Assistance
Lay the fck down

Thoughts:
It's been about a month and a half since I had the prowler out. I figure conditioning can only help at worlds. Right now I think I'll start tues/thurs again. Shoulders feel ok, can't wait to order the joint help tomorrow...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
8/8 conditioning

Prowler
20 yd x 3 to warm up a bit - high handles

Work
40 yd pulls x 6

Assistance
Lay the fck down

Thoughts:
It's been about a month and a half since I had the prowler out. I figure conditioning can only help at worlds. Right now I think I'll start tues/thurs again. Shoulders feel ok, can't wait to order the joint help tomorrow...
Chicka yeah, push that prowler! Always helps to be in shape. I hope my conditioning holds up. My meet got split into sessions, so I'll have to bang out 9 attempts in about 4 hours.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Chicka yeah, push that prowler! Always helps to be in shape. I hope my conditioning holds up. My meet got split into sessions, so I'll have to bang out 9 attempts in about 4 hours.
4 hours is fast bro. My first was I think 9 hours, 2nd was 10 and nats were like 14.

How far out are you again?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
4 hours is fast bro. My first was I think 9 hours, 2nd was 10 and nats were like 14.

How far out are you again?
9 days out. It's next Saturday. Today I benched my conservative and aggressive opener (315 and 335) and I've decided I'm going to go 315 opener, 340 second, and 350-365 third, depending. Take a look at my 315 and two 335s and tell me what you think of my plans.

napalm

napalm

Awards
9 days out. It's next Saturday. Today I benched my conservative and aggressive opener (315 and 335) and I've decided I'm going to go 315 opener, 340 second, and 350-365 third, depending. Take a look at my 315 and two 335s and tell me what you think of my plans.
Roger, when I get to work...

napalm

napalm

Awards
8/9 deadlift 70/80/90% of TM

warmup
a bunch of static stretching
bar x 2 x 8
135x2x5
185x2x5
225x2x5

work
245x3
280x3
310x3 here it is, no straps:
[video=youtube;6DMqTOOVqOo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DMqTOOVqOo[/video]
actually i think the 3rd was my best rep.

assistance:
pendlay's
135x5
185x3x3

thoughts:
looking at it, my shoulders need to be behind the bar a little more. def a difference between straps and no straps shoulder wise. this is no doubt a mobility issue. anyone got any ideas? i'm 11 weeks out. first two reps were all erectors, i think related to not getting my shoulders behind the bar.

any and all feedback is welcome...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with ya but for the most part I think they were good. It looks like you have a ton more in you.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I agree with ya but for the most part I think they were good. It looks like you have a ton more in you.
txs sean, any ideas on how to get my shoulders behind the bar more? i don't know if i want to get my hips any lower...

what did you think of the weak ass bench?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
txs sean, any ideas on how to get my shoulders behind the bar more? i don't know if i want to get my hips any lower...

what did you think of the weak ass bench?
The shoulder placement wasnt too bad to me. Maybe just work on pulling them back a smidge?

I'm in no position to give bench advice lol You looked good though. Stable and good bar path.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe open the knees up on your deadlifts? I'm grasping at straws, I often have the same problem. Looked nice and smooth, though. No problem there.

EDIT: As far as the bench, the arm action looked good. Subtle tuck and flare, that's how it's done. I'd like to see you more on your traps. In raw benching, you don't need to arch, but you do need to use your legs to drive yourself onto your traps. Mark Bell's cue is "chest up".

napalm

napalm

Awards
Maybe just work on pulling them back a smidge? I'm in no position to give bench advice lol You looked good though. Stable and good bar path.
lol, i listen to anybody who's lift is bigger than mine :) mobility is the problem w the shoulders...

Maybe open the knees up on your deadlifts? I'm grasping at straws, I often have the same problem. Looked nice and smooth, though. No problem there.

EDIT: As far as the bench, the arm action looked good. Subtle tuck and flare, that's how it's done. I'd like to see you more on your traps. In raw benching, you don't need to arch, but you do need to use your legs to drive yourself onto your traps. Mark Bell's cue is "chest up".
interesting, i place the smooth-knurled junction in the middle of my legs, right down the center. i haven't thought about pointing my toes, which is essentially what you're saying...

edit: yeah, i've been thinking about getting my traps more involved, i'm not sure yet if it's a old thing...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol, i listen to anybody who's lift is bigger than mine :) mobility is the problem w the shoulders...

interesting, i place the smooth-knurled junction in the middle of my legs, right down the center. i haven't thought about pointing my toes, which is essentially what you're saying...

edit: yeah, i've been thinking about getting my traps more involved, i'm not sure yet if it's a old thing...
You can open your toes, that helps with lockout I hear. I was more thinking screwing your feet into the ground. For example, watch the Olympic lifters to see what I mean. Pause this video at 21 seconds and you'll notice it. Obviously, we're not that mobile, and we're not trying to snatch it, but this can get our hips closer to the bar without getting our butt too low. Just try it. If you don't like it, ditch it.

[video=youtube;rAGiVfqpi0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAGiVfqpi0c[/video]

napalm

napalm

Awards
You can open your toes, that helps with lockout I hear. I was more thinking screwing your feet into the ground. For example, watch the Olympic lifters to see what I mean. Pause this video at 21 seconds and you'll notice it. Obviously, we're not that mobile, and we're not trying to snatch it, but this can get our hips closer to the bar without getting our butt too low. Just try it. If you don't like it, ditch it.

[video=youtube;rAGiVfqpi0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAGiVfqpi0c[/video]
holy crap dude, that was a violent move from the bottom!

it's the hips closer to the bar thing...based on that vid, what do you think?

these things i need to know...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
holy crap dude, that was a violent move from the bottom!

it's the hips closer to the bar thing...based on that vid, what do you think?

these things i need to know...
What I usually do is pause my videos as the bar breaks the floor, and I compare it to the guys in this article by Bret Contreras:

http://bretcontreras.com/the-keys-to-stronger-deadlifts/

After I did that with yours, it seems you broke the floor with textbook form. Then the weight pulled you forward. I like to begin to sit to seesaw the slack out of the bar, and keep sitting to finish the lift. I see a lot of people sit and then rise. I think sitting is the beginning of the movement. It's hard to explain, really. I pulled my best when I told myself to forget proper form and coaching cues and just rip the bar off of the ground. I'm going through my most recent deadlifts and my deadlifts in late March, and my hips are much closer to the bar throughout the lift. So when I said fukk form, my form improved. I really hate my deadlift.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Got some side jobs to help w fundraising today, ill check that out later. Txs bro...

jem6702

jem6702

Awards
Just found the new log. Watching to see the progress.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got some side jobs to help w fundraising today, ill check that out later. Txs bro...
Car wash? Prostitution? Drug mule?

napalm

napalm

Awards
All I'll say is it involves a hammer and a knife..

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Work on your arch on your bench. You look almost completely flat on the bench in your thoracic and no leg drive.

Pulls look solid, though.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Work on your arch on your bench. You look almost completely flat on the bench in your thoracic and no leg drive.

Pulls look solid, though.
Nice feedback, actually that is my arch! Some mobility work is needed. Leg drive is something I'm trying to re-learn, it's been, s.hit 6 months since I've really trained bench.

Not taking baby weight into account, are my hips where you'd like to see them on the pulls?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
napalm

napalm

Awards
Watching those dudes rip >800 was amazing. The different techniques fascinate me.

On another note, cleaned out the freezer today, below is what's going into a pot here shortly

image-994480626.jpg

Pork chops, chicken thighs, pot roast, Italian sausage, corned beef, regular sausage links, potatoes, bell pepper and cabbage.

I win...

napalm

napalm

Awards
8/12 week 2 65/75/85% x 5

warmup
some rolling and some stretching
hip swings
bar x 2 x 5
95x2x5
135x2x5
185x5
225x5

work
230x5
265x5
300x5: hi, my name is napalm and i couldn't find depth if i tripped over it
[video=youtube;6mxh7B9uA4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mxh7B9uA4E[/video]
a couple of them are iffy at best.

assistance:
200x5x5

thoughts:
not my best effort, i think depth is now occupying my mind. i swear i was telling myself to hit bottom before each rep...and didn't. the fcking weight feels light enough, but i'm not getting to the bottom. i may be over thinking this too.

time to step it up, 10 more squat sessions...

napalm

napalm

Awards
and as an added bonus, my 13 yr old squatting the bar. maybe i can get some pointers...

[video=youtube;srI1Rajq_mI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srI1Rajq_mI[/video]

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmm can't view your vid on mobile, I'll look later. Mini-Napalm (thank god she doesn't like you! jk) video works tho and her form looked pretty damn good for a 13yo chick squatting with her pops. Maybe get the bar a tad lower on her back so her chest will be less likely to fall forwards? Props to you and her for not being the typical teenage girl.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Hmm can't view your vid on mobile, I'll look later. Mini-Napalm (thank god she doesn't like you! jk) video works tho and her form looked pretty damn good for a 13yo chick squatting with her pops. Maybe get the bar a tad lower on her back so her chest will be less likely to fall forwards? Props to you and her for not being the typical teenage girl.
yeah, you can hear me in the vid telling her to keep her chest up to try to keep her from falling forward. the kid's an athlete, high school coaches are starting to watch her play volleyball.

nobody on this forum could return her serve...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah, you can hear me in the vid telling her to keep her chest up to try to keep her from falling forward. the kid's an athlete, high school coaches are starting to watch her play volleyball.

nobody on this forum could return her serve...
Volume was off...tryin to make minime sleep early so I can get some

We have a sand volley ball pit right next to our helo pad....I'm pretty damn good...

jk I suck ass

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is something keeping you from depth there? You've got plenty of strength for it. The depth you did reach was pretty consistent. I was just wondering if it was your brain missing depth or your body. Ten squat sessions is plenty of time. I think I pretty consistently miss depth at least once a month, every end-of-set rep or the one before, and on and on. Lately I've just told myself to bottom out to leave no doubt, but even that doesn't work sometimes.

You'll get it. Your depth was spot on at nationals.

Also, you can tell your daughter is an athlete. Non-athletes don't have that kind of movement quality and kinesthetic awareness. Hell, there are plenty of athletes that don't have that kind of movement quality! Looked like she was tucking a little and you caught the falling chest, but other than that, her squats were dynamite.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Is something keeping you from depth there? You've got plenty of strength for it. The depth you did reach was pretty consistent. I was just wondering if it was your brain missing depth or your body. Ten squat sessions is plenty of time. I think I pretty consistently miss depth at least once a month, every end-of-set rep or the one before, and on and on. Lately I've just told myself to bottom out to leave no doubt, but even that doesn't work sometimes.

You'll get it. Your depth was spot on at nationals.

Also, you can tell your daughter is an athlete. Non-athletes don't have that kind of movement quality and kinesthetic awareness. Hell, there are plenty of athletes that don't have that kind of movement quality! Looked like she was tucking a little and you caught the falling chest, but other than that, her squats were dynamite.
Physically no, nothing is preventing me from getting depth. I think this time it's between my ears. This is starting to piss me off.

I'll vid my daughter in a month or so to see how she's coming along. She came to me last week and said she wants to get stronger. after 4 yrs of AAU volleyball, I think she realizes now that since she got her daddy's lack of height, she's going to have to work harder than everybody else. That or maybe she's listening to me - I've been telling her that for a couple yrs now...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Physically no, nothing is preventing me from getting depth. I think this time it's between my ears. This is starting to piss me off.

I'll vid my daughter in a month or so to see how she's coming along. She came to me last week and said she wants to get stronger. after 4 yrs of AAU volleyball, I think she realizes now that since she got her daddy's lack of height, she's going to have to work harder than everybody else. That or maybe she's listening to me - I've been telling her that for a couple yrs now...
I don't know about how wide/narrow your stance is, but I get a lot from stretch reflex and my knee wraps when I bottom out. I'm definitely a narrow stance guy though, and I often lose depth if I don't drop it all the way down.

I give your daughter props, I attribute all of my athletic success (modest successes) to discovering the iron at a young age.

napalm

napalm

Awards
8/15 weak ass flat bench
warmup
internal/external rotations 50 total
bar x 2 x 10
95x2x5
115x2x5
135x5

work:
205x5x3, here's the last set:
[video=youtube;7BDWN7_qmF4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BDWN7_qmF4[/video]

comments are welcome

assistance:
face pulls 5x12 w 75

thoughts:
made a 10 lb jump from last week. actually my first set was the worst, was able to tighten everything up and figure it out after that. the work sets felt light, but no 10 lb jump next week. my joint help will be here tomorrow thank god, i'm never running out of that stuff again. np should have a standing order button: continue monthly until i die kind of thing. right labrum has been bothering me lately. the left infra, left supra and left labral repair from 2011 is holding up well. prolly get it fixed after worlds...