Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I was practicing the setup tips from SO YOU THINK YOU CAN SQUAT tonight with just my body weight and I was able to sink another 2-3" without even trying. This could get interesting.
    http://www.facebook.com/Celtic.Labs - Celtic Labs Representative

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Well, no vid today. Dude that opens the fun was running late this morning. He's usually there at 445 and today he was there at 455. I really need those extra ten minutes on squat day. Regardless, I've got work to do. For now, I'm backing off on all poundages until my nervous system catches up. I'm planning on using 531 still, but I'm thinking of either dropping to 75-80% of my previous 1RM or just doing multiple sets with the first weight of the day and then singles with the higher weights. Either way, I'm planning on doing a back off set to failure. From what I experienced this morning, I've got three glaring weaknesses: upper back strength, keeping my lower back set, and hamstring strength.

For upper back, it's a lack of strength endurance combined with looking down at my feet which then gets my back rounding. Now it's not as exaggerated as the guy in the vid, but it's still a problem. I've gotta break myself of that. I'm also gonna start doing the seated good mornings they showed on the vid. I don't have a safety squat bar, but I think I manage at least initially with a straight bar.

I kept catching myself get lazy with my lower back set. It had nothing to do with strength. When I really focused on it I could keep it set and really get good depth without even trying. I even had one rep where I almost fell backwards. What I'm planning to do to address this is practice, but also I'm going to be doing box squats from now on. That should force me to do that because you can't sit back with the weight without setting your lower back and initiating the movement with your butt. I'll tell you one thing, my butt was feeling tired after today because I was using it my than usual.

I've neglected my hams for a while now. No more. I'm going to be doing glute ham raises twice a week: once with squats and again with deads.

I also discovered today that my back isn't 100%. I also discovered that my squats may have been a bigger contributor than my deads. Every time I let my lower back tuck instead of keeping it set, it would hurt. Every rep where it stayed set, no pain at all. I think my deads a couple weeks ago were the last straw, but I think that my squats have been the main impetus.

Hopefully these mitigative measures keep things moving forward and help me correct my issues. It's not the first time I've done this. Years ago I was a half squatter. And now I'm going to correct about 8 years worth of bad habits. It should be a lot better and as the next few months go by and I start shoring up my weaknesses, the weights will climb once again. Anyways, here's what I did today:

Squats - 135x10, 175x3, 215x3, 255x3, 290x5, 335x5, 380x1
    Glute Ham Raises (lat pulldown) - BWx3xF + push up assisted reps to failure
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I'm so glad that you're able to recognize what needs to be changed. That's hard for myself, and others, to be able to do. You've got nowhere to go but up from here on out dude.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Making the Superman

This cycle ended up being a bit of a dud. My back still isn't completely healed, I got laid out by a bout of bronchitis, and I'm having problems at work which are causing me to have to drive from Longmont to Golden everyday for the next couple of weeks. This means my lifting is jacked. Once I get over the bronchitis though, I've devised a plan to have me in and out in 15 minutes. I'm going to do an off shoot of GVT.

My plan is to start at 50% of my 1RM and do 9 sets of 5 reps with only 30s rest or as a superset with another exercise and 30s of rest. Then, on the tenth set, I'm going to failure. The next week I add 5 lbs to the upper body exercises and 10lbs to the lower body. Hopefully, this will keep me progressing while giving my joints a break. It will also give me the much needed chance to work on my form.

My new split will be:
    Monday: Squats SS Glute Ham Raises
    Tuesday: Overhead Press SS Bench
    Wednesday: Deads SS Neutral Grip Pullups
    Thursday: MEDLEY - Standing Calf Raises, Lying Barbell Extensions, Barbell Curls, Standing Cable Crunches
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Finally back at. 3 weeks off for bronchitis has been rough. I used the time to cut back on my diet a little though and lost some weight. Hopefully not too much muscle. But I'm back into my 34" waist jeans. To start getting myself back on track, I'm doing a medley with 50% of my previous 1RM's. So here's how today went:

Started at 4:50am -
    5 sets of 5 reps
    Standing overhead press - 110
    Bench - 200
    Overhand bent over rows - 200
    Underhand Pullups - BW

Last sets at 5:15am
    TO FAILURE (or close to it)
    SOHP - 110x11
    Bench - 200x12
    UHBOR - 200x12
    UHPU - BWx8

Finished 5:20am
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.25%

Welcome back man. You and those quick training sessions baffle me. I kinda imagine you just going crazy in a corner someplace then running out the gym.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Quote Originally Posted by Nooshefx View Post
    Welcome back man. You and those quick training sessions baffle me. I kinda imagine you just going crazy in a corner someplace then running out the gym.
    Lol! Pretty close. Did everything except the pullups at a bench. I used a couple of steppers to make it easier to unrack the bar and not hit the bench on the rows. Unfortunately, it is a necessity right now. After a week or two I will adjust my schedule the one I posted a few weeks back (3 day split with an auxiliary day).
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Had a little more time today. I had to run to Grand Junction for a couple meetings this morning. So at 4am I rolled out of bed, threw on my clothes, and headed out the door for the 4 1/2 hr drive. But this also meant an afternoon workout before heading home. Today I superset squats with deads and a short rest. I opted for more sub failure sets instead of a finish set to failure. It didn't matter much anyways in the end. I was pretty spent after that last set of deads. I'm really practicing my form, and I'm practicing my hook-grip on deads. It hurts like a mofo the first few sets, but when nervous system started compensating it wasn't so bad. After today's workout I've discovered that I'm very lazy at keeping my lower back set and my glutes tight during squats. I think that's why hurt my back and have such a bad butt tuck at the bottom. When I kept tight not only did sitting back feel more natural I felt stronger out of the hole with no back pain. I also played with keeping my arms tucked in closer. It will take some getting used to, but it definitely provided extra stability to my upper back and my tris were even more involved. That bodes very well for them as weights go up (not bad for bench either). Deads felt very natural and my cadence is much improved. Now, the workout:

Start 1:45pm
    Squats & deads (7 supersets of 5 reps per set with a drink and short breather)
    135, 225, 250/275, 250/275, 250/275, 250/275, 250/275

SUPERSET 2
    Glute Ham raises (lat pulldown bench, BW neg with push-up assisted pos)
    5, 5, 4, 3
    BW Hyperextension
    5, 5, 5, 5

End 2:25pm
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Sounds like things are back on track.

Hook grip=brutal
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Sounds like things are back on track.

Hook grip=brutal
    Getting there. I'm sucking wind right now for sure! My back feels better than it has in quite a while after today. For the longest time I could only get it to pop by twisting one direction. After the workout it finally released the other direction and everything feels normal again back there. Just needed to get the muscles loosened and now continue practicing good form. I'm going to add 5% to all my lifts next week and go from there.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

10/23 - Shoulders, Tris, Bis
    Seated Shoulder Press
    50x12, 70x10, 80x4, 40x12
    Mid pulley Face pull
    35x12, 50x12, 65x8, 35x10
    Lying Behind Head Extension
    70x12, 90x12, 110x5, 50x12
    Standing Barbell Curl
    70x12, 90x10, 110x3, 50x12

Did my workout between a late afternoon meeting and a 5 1/2 hour drive. A little rough, but it felt great! Shoulders were pumped. Arms were pumped. First arm workout in about 4 weeks. Hopefully I can get my leg workout in today before I get home. If not, first thing tomorrow.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

10/25 Legs - Performed as Giant Sets
    Front Squats
    135x10, 185x10, 225x10, 275x6
    BW Glute Ham Raises on Lat Pulldown Bench
    10 push-up assisted, 10 hands behind knees, 8 hbk, 5 neg with push-up assured pos
    Hack Squat Calf Raises
    90x10, 180x10, 270x10, 360x8

Great quick workout. Had sometime this afternoon before hitting the road for a work function. I think the two days of high altitude yesterday and we'd helped me today. I felt like I could push myself a little harder. Feels good doing more of a BB style workout again. I like doing PL style periodically, but I'm a BB at heart. That feeling of trashed muscle is definitely a high to me. Gonna try and get chest and back hit again tomorrow.
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.52%

Pretty lookin front squats there man
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Pretty lookin front squats there man
    Yeah especially with the short rests I was taking. Gotta get back up to 365x6 and beyond!
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Last week's travel took a toll on me. My cough has come back with a vengeance. Not sure it's full blown bronchitis though. I've taken the last few mornings off to get another hour of sleep. I'll be back at it tomorrow morning. I want to get at least three workouts in before Friday. Hopefully my daughter will get to bed at a decent time tonight.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

TRAINING

FINALLY!!! Got back to the gym this morning!!! Iím not 100% but getting VERY close to it. Had a nice and easy chest and back day that got the blood pumping and my not-so-well trained muscles feeling it today. Workout was 20 minutes long. It consisted of one chest exercise, one back width exercise, and one back thickness exercise. I switched things up a bit and stayed on machines instead of the free weights I have been doing for a while now. Hereís how today went:

11/4/2013 Chest and Back (Weights are plate weight only)
    Hammer Strength (HS) Incline Press
    90x12, 140x10, 180x10, 230x10, 90x11
    HS High Row, Underhand Grip
    90x12, 140x10, 180x10, 230x10, 90x11
    HS Yates Row
    90x12, 90x12, 140x10, 140x8, 90x8

Reps were slow and controlled with a pause and extra squeeze on each contraction. The key today was lower weight and really just feel the muscles working again. Sets were done in a rotating fashion Presses->High Row->Yates Row. Breaks were taken between rounds to increase the weight, take a drink and a few breaths, and then back at it.

DIET

The wife and I have been looking for ways to make life easier AND cheaper. One of the things weíre starting to do that is easily going to help achieve this is cooking all our meals for at least two weeks at a time over the weekend. Now I know this is something a lot of guys do already for themselves, but perhaps you donít do it with your spouse. AND unfortunately, my wife doesnít have the mental will to eat the same thing day in and day out. So, creating meals that are delicious and being able to do it in a manner thatís easy is a challenge and something Iíve been trying to do for quite a while now. Itís seemed like an insurmountable task. BUT last week while I was listening to Focus on the Familyís weekly broadcasts, they had a gal on the show thatís done just that for over a decade now. Not only that, she cooks all the meals for her family of 5 for a whole month! Sheís created a book that lines out the meals, lays out the shopping lists, and even helps step you through how to cook everything as easy as possible. After researching it some more, there are many other resources out there that can help you do it as well. Last night was day one. Unfortunately, I had to do the grocery shopping and get some cooking done all on the same day, which is not recommended. DEFINITELY cook and shop on separate days if you are planning on doing two weeks or more on the same day. It took me two hours to shop and two hours to cook, but I only got four meals done. By the end of that I was exhausted! Iíve got several more to make, but it should only take me about an hour to get everything else prepped. Iím really looking forward to making this a habit. It cost us only $200 to have two weeksí worth of meals. Usually we struggle with a budget of $300 per week being cooking just a few meals and then eating out for the rest. I may have to increase it a little to make sure Iím getting enough for a guy my size, but I see this style of cooking saving us $300-500 a month!!! Since weíre still paying off debts and student loans, trying to get to where we can save up for a house, and taking care of an eight month thatís going to be a BIG help!!!

So, keep me honest here guys. I need this, our family needs this to become a regular thing.

SUPPS

Iím bumping myself back up to the normal two-a-day dosing once again. Gotta make up for lost time, but Iím going to let the XFORCE do its job instead of delaying my return to full health by killing myself in the gym. Hereís my latest pic, not much change from the first except maybe a little softer from the lack of exercise.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

11/5/13 - Shoulders and Arms

*SUPERSET 1*
    Dumbbell Press
    25x12, 45x10, 70x10, 35x12
    Standing Dumbbell Curls
    25x10, 35x10, 40x8, 20x12
    *SUPERSET 2*
    Rope Pull Aparts
    15x12, 25x10, 42.5x8, 20x12
    Rope Pressdowns
    25x12, 42.5x10, 62.5x10, 30x12

Today's workout went at a nice pace. Today is the best I've felt in over a month by far. I've still got a little bit of a cough, but I don't feel flemmy and I don't feel sick. Things are definitely starting to look up!!! Which is good because I want to get back to doing some real work. Probably got my workout done in about 15 minutes. I did some quick warm-ups and then I had to take a dump. So, I was pushing it. Felt good to press some heavy dumbbells too. All-in-all, today was a good day.

Cooking has been going well. It's great to reap the benefits of my labor over the weekend. Dinner took 30 minutes to warm and get on the table. It was delicious and I had more than enough food. The rest went back into the freezer too and there will be enough for another full meal for the two of us. I would have taken it for lunch, but I'm still working on Sunday's left-overs. That should be gone today though: chicken parmesan meatballs with four cheese tortellini and a garlic Italian sausage tomato sauce. Last night's was Southern Chicken casserole over Southern Style Biscuits: Chicken breasts, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, bag of frozen mixed veggies, biscuits. Good eatin'!

I've noticed a little difference between today's pics and yesterday's. My muscles are filling back in even after just two days of workouts. The extra Epi and LMG can't be hurting either. Since I kept them low dose during my week off I don't think it's too farfetched to claim that my body is already responding to it because it's had plenty of time to build up in my system. Here's this morning's pics. I'm planning on taking pics after every morning's workout and hopefully get a few vids taken before the end of the log. I'll start bringing my tablet with me again because it makes video recording easier than my phone.

18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

11/6/13 - Legs

Front Squats (paused)
    135x10, 185x10, 205x9
    Calf Raises on Leg Press Machine
    150x10, 300x10, 350x6 drop 150x12
    Lying Leg Curls
    40x10, 80x10, 110x10 drop 50x6

Paused front squats are where it's at!!! Forced me to keep everything tight and REALLY shocked the legs. I found out today that a lot of the bad habits I have with back squats I don't do when I do front squats. I start front squats with both feet together, never look down to see where my foot placement is at, always keep my chest high and look up, and just sit down with the weight. I'm going to keep them as a priority lift and hopefully get my good habits on fronts to translate to back squats. It was a weird discovery.

My workout was only 15 minutes long this morning. Damn colon! I sat down for my morning BM at 4:35 and wasn't done until 4:50. So I wasn't out of the house until 4:55 and didn't get to the rack until 5:05. So, I was only able to get three rounds in. Oh well, at least I got that and in less than a week we'll do it all over again!!! One thing that will help is that I'm going to make my preworkout up the night before and then I'll be able to start slamming it as soon as the alarm goes off. That way, I've got water going where it matters first thing. That always speeds up the process. Anyways, enough ****ty talk.

Looking forward to my second chest and back day of the week tomorrow. Feels so good! I'm planning on flat bench, barbell rows, and rope pullovers. Here's this morning's pics. Thought I'd get a close-up of the glute ham tie-in. I'm starting to get better balance between my quads and hams too.

19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.25%

Is it ok to have the PWO sitting for that amount of time? I guess you would know. That post about the bathroom time the other morning was hella funny. Sometimes things like that happen
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Quote Originally Posted by Nooshefx View Post
    Is it ok to have the PWO sitting for that amount of time? I guess you would know. That post about the bathroom time the other morning was hella funny. Sometimes things like that happen
    It depends on what's in it. Creatine should be ok. BCAA's may start to degrade. But my current one doesn't contain any. It really sucks the mornings that happens. We're going to be switching gyms soon.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

11/7/13 Chest & Back

Flat Bench
    135x12 (paused), 225x10, 275x8, 315x3
    Overhand Bent-over Row
    135x12, 225x10, 275x8, 315x3
    Cable Crossovers
    67.5x5 drop 35x10
    Rope High Pulley Pullovers
    67.5x5 drop 35x8

Workout was about 20 minutes long. Felt good to shock the CNS with some heavier weights. Hopefully it won't be too long and I'll be back up to 8-10 reps with 315 like I was over a month ago. I'd really like to put up 405 before the end of the year. If I can stay healthy, I think it's a realistic goal. I had put up 385 before I got sick. It's fun being able to bench what used to be my max squats. I wanted to do a reduced weight burnout set on the first two exercises, but I took too long of a breather before the final sets and had to cut my losses and move on. Definitely need to work on grip strength as well. Did 135 and 225 fine with a hook-grip, but my grip was tired after that. I had to run out and get my straps for the last couple sets of rows. I'm gonna keep up with that though. Tomorrow will be shoulders and arms again!

My weight is down to 220 from 225. I think that's just from training again. My appetite is coming back though as well. So, I should start making that number climb once again. It was tough getting last night's supper down. It's weird, but the time change finally caught up to me. With our normal schedule, my wife and I usually don't get supper until 7:30-8:00PM. Last night was the latter and as I continued to eat and the time got closer to 8:30 I felt like I could take a nap on my plate. Then I realized that just a few days ago that would have been 9:30. I'm feeling a little tired today as well. Probably more the CNS shock than anything else though. That will definitely do it to you! Here's this morning's pics.

22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

11/12 - Legs

Leg Press (#plates_total)
    2x10,6x10,10x10,14x10,9x8
    Calf Presses (#plates_total)
    2x10,6x10,10x10,14x8,9x3
    Good Mornings
    45x10,65x10,85x10,105x10,125x9

Boy! I love this combo!!! I can see why power lifters prefer good mornings as an accessory exercise too. I was squeezing my hams and glutes like they were gonna fall off. This exercise will definitely help my squat! This was my first time doing them in at least a decade and now I'm kicking myself for neglecting them. Won't happen any longer! I'm figuring out some great combinations to rotate for my workouts. For example, legs:

WO1 - Front Squats, Glute Ham Raises, Standing Calf Raises
    WO2 - Leg Press, Good Mornings, Calf Presses
    WO3 - Back Squats, Lying Leg Curls, Seated Calf Raises

Anyways, today's workout was great. Took me about 20 minutes and I had a great pump. I really liked the way the good morning's felt. Great stretch in my hams and glutes. I look forward to seeing what happens as I stay more consistent with them. My calves have definitely lost strength over the last couple months, but that is what happens when you neglect them. No more. Tomorrow is chest and back.

As for the supps:

Xcel XFORCE - great combo! Loving the strength gains and even though it contains LMG I haven't experienced much in terms of water bloat at all. No estro sides either.

IML EpiAndro - love this product. I'm running it for four weeks at 200mg. Should give me some great lean gains. It's also great for strength. Took my first doses yesterday.

PERFORMAX FITMAX - A little late to the game getting this log started. I used it a couple times last week and again this morning. My initial reaction is that it tasted great. I've been following the other logs and so I started with two scoops. After having used it for a while, I think it's a good dosage for me. This isn't a knock you in your butt stim supp. But in my opinion that's not a bad thing. I don't like feeling super hopped up going into my workout. I don't need it and actually find it distracting. I get into my happy place without it. So, I'm finding this to be a great preworkout so far and definitely recommend it so far.

As has been the trend lately, here's today's pics.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Been WAY too long since I've updated my logs!

Training Style:
    - GVP
    Current Split:
    - Chest & Bis
    - Hams, Calves, & Back Thickness
    - Chest, Back Width, & Tris
    - Quads, Calves, Rear Delts
    Today's Workout:
    - Incline Bench - 135x8x10,7
    - Preacher Curls - 65x2x10, 55x6x10,7
    - Machine Flyes - 160x10,6, 100x10
    Progress Pics:
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Today's Workout:
    Back Thickness, Hamstrings, Calves
    - Standing Calf Raises (plate weight) - 90x10, 180x6x10
    - Lying Leg Curls - 85x7x10
    - Hammer Strength Mid-Row (standing, plate weight) - 90x10, 160x10, 140x5x10

Today was a bit different. Long story short, I hurt my ass. It doesn't hurt to squat, but it hurts to sit or bend at the waist. I'm normally going to be super setting good mornings or Romanian deads with some kind of calf raise. But today ended up having to be a Tri-set because of the injury. As such, I didn't have enough time to complete all the sets. But my muscles were pretty well fatigued by the end anyways.

Aftermath pics:
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Today's Workout:
    Assisted Dips
    - -70x6x10, -100x3x10,8
    Assisted Wide Grip Pullups
    - -70x4x10,6, -100x2x10,6,5,4

Great workout. Killer pump! Butt is feeling MUCH better. No pain meds needed today!

Here's pics of the aftermath:

26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.52%

Lookin large! Glad to hear your injury is feeling better bub
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.45%
    Achievements Posting Pro

More nudes
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Lookin large! Glad to hear your injury is feeling better bub
    Thanks bud! It's getting there. Made it through half the day without any pain meds. It's tough sitting on my ass when it's so sore. The main problem is that sitting made the fluid start migrating initially. It's staying put now, but it hurt SO bad at first!!!
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Quote Originally Posted by spinyvegeta View Post
    More nudes
    I've been feeling fluffy lately.
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Trying out a new product: IronMagLabs SDMZ 3.0!!! Bring on the lean swole!

12/31 - Training Log
    Chest, Side Delts, Bis
    Incline Bench
    95x10, 135x10, 185x10, 225x5
    Cable Crossover
    30x3x10, 8
    Low Pulley Rope Y-Pull
    30x3x10, 8
    Standing Cambered Curls (Narrow)
    45x10, 75x10, 95x6, 75x8, 45x10

Notes: Felt good pushing heavier weights again. It also felt good getting in some isolation work too. Warmups were easy and my time between sets was very quick. Looking forward to continuing this training scheme.

Here's some starting pics:
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Well, the diet plan hasn't been done yet. A little busy the last couple days with the New Year holiday. I've basically just cleaned up my diet the last few days. Cooked a big ol' turkey yesterday and have about 4lbs of turkey meat to munch on the next couple of days. That's a pretty cheap source of lean tasty protein! They were on sale at Wal-Mart for $0.50/lb. Cooked finished weight came to about $1.85/lb. Not too shabby at all!

Started 25mcg Clen last night. Had a buddy suggest taking it before bed, and I really like it! Felt a little weird being a little shaky going to bed, but I didn't have any problems falling asleep. His thinking was that with the anti-catabolic properties of clen, it might help deal with the catabolism of not eating for such a long period. We'll see how it goes. As for the SDMZ 3.0, nothing to report yet. I'm taking 2 a day. I'll let you know when it kicks in!

I've missed a lot of lifting this week, but I'm flexible. Today's was only the second workout. But it was very productive. I'm really starting to like the combination of back and hamstrings. It's nice getting to hit the hams with heavy weight while the back is fresh and then finish them both off with some auxiliary exercises. Here's what I did this morning.

1/2/2013 - Back and Hams

Warm-up:
    Leg Press
    2x20 with just the foot plate
    Pulldowns
    50x2x20

Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts
    45x10, 60x10, 80x10, 90x10, 100x10
    Pullups
    BWx10, 8, 6, 5, 1

V-Handle Pulldowns
    140x2x10, 8
    Lying Leg Curls
    105x2x10, 6
  32. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.52%

Lookin yok3d!

So are ya stoned from all the second hand out smoke there in CO now :P
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Thanks bud! I'm working on cutting down now. As for the weed, I hope not. Gotta pass my randoms. I work in a safety related DOT regulated position.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Progress Pics:
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

TRAINING
    I don't want you all to think that I've forgotten about you or that I'm shirking my responsibilities. Fact of the matter is that last week didn't really wrap up the way I wanted it to and Thursday ended up being my last workout of the week. I was planning on hitting quads, calves, and abs this morning, but the little one kept us up to 1am last night. So, I opted for ~5 hours of sleep instead of 3 and a workout and slept in to 6am. My quads grow fast and normally overpower my upper body in terms of balance IMO, but I've missed quite a few quad workouts lately. Hasn't been a bad thing for my upper body, but I can tell I've lost some size in my quads and need to start getting on the ball with them once more. So, I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Leg Presses and Sissy Squats are a bitch, but they are so effective!

DIET

I've finally got it ironed out. I'm still 21 weeks out. So, I'm not really pressed in terms of time. I'm following a template that I created using a Layne Norton article. I used it for a short while several months ago, and it seemed to be working well. My goal macros are as follows:

NORMAL DAY
    Cal - 2495
    Pro - 275g
    Fat - 75g
    Cho - 180g

REFEED DAY
    Cal - 3130
    Pro - 220g
    Fat - 90g
    Carb - 360g

On training days, my carbs will be centered around my workouts: 75g pre, 30g intra, 75g post. The meals the rest of the day will be lean meats, healthy fats, and raw veggies. I will be starting out with 2 refeed days a week. As time goes on, I'll drop one if needed. It all depends on how things are progressing. But, my gut tells me that by the time the comp roles around I won't be having any reefed days. We'll see.

SUPPS
    SDMZ 3.0 - It's working. My strength is definitely up, but I'm having to judge it by how light my daughter is feeling in her car seat the last few days! LOL!
    Clen - Upped to 50mcg last night.
    Progress pics will be taken on Friday.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Well, I didn't update yesterday like I should have. Had a nice calf, quad, ab day. I can tell that it had been about a month since my last quad workout though as my strength was really down. It's definitely time to rectify that though. I've put some good size on my upper body and I've lost a little size in my quads. Balances me out a little more as I tend to be very quad dominant, but at the same time I don't want to start going the other way. Here's what I did:

1/7/2014
    Leg Press
    90x10, 180x10, 270x5, 360x5, 450x5, 640x5, 730x10 no rest 840x4
    Calf Presses
    90x10, 180x10, 270x10, 360x8, 450x5, 640x5, 730x3, 840x1
    Standing Cable Crunch
    70x35

After yesterday's workout, I started thinking about how I need to be able to push my limits more in my workouts. I feel like I haven't really been challenging myself as much as I could. Also, I read this article about Jon Anderson on JTSstrength yesterday that really got me fired up. So, I've decided to go back to DC training. I did a very successful cut back about 4 or 5 years ago while training DC style. I gained a ton of strength and lost a lot of fat. I looked the best I ever had up to that point AND I was the strongest I had ever been up to that point. Time to beat the log book. Now, even with the brevity of a DC training session, I had to adjust the split a little. Here's what I'm planning on doing:

DAY 1 - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width
    DAY 2 - Bis, Calves, Hams/Back Thickness, Quads

EXERCISE ROTATIONS
    Chest - Incline Smith Press >> Flat Bench >> Dips
    Shoulders - Standing Upright Rows >> Standing Overhead Press >> Rear Delt Machine
    Triceps - Close Grip Incline Press >> Reverse Grip Bench Press >> Pullovers
    Back Width - Wide Grip Pullups >> Chin-ups >> Vbar Pulldowns
    Bis - Barbell Curls >> Preacher Curls >> Hammer Curls
    Hams/Back Thickness - Good Mornings >> Romanian Deads
    Quads - Leg Press >> Front Squats
    Every 3rd Leg Day - Deadlifts >> Clean and Jerk

I'll still hit Bis and Calves on that third leg day, but I really miss hitting my deads and cj's. Plus, those exercises really get the fat fires burning. Here's what I did today:

1/8/2014
    Incline Smith Press
    135x10, 185x8, RP 185x12,4,1
    Standing Upright Rows
    60x10, RP 135x6,1,1
    Close Grip Incline Press
    RP 115x10,4,3
    Wide Grip Pullups
    RP BWx10,3,1
    Barbell Curls
    65x10, RP 85x8,1,1

I did Bi's today too because I'm not sure how time will go tomorrow. But now that I think of it, I'm going to keep them with the lower body day because I want to get in my extreme stretches. Progress pics in 2 days.
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

DC Leg Day #1! It's in the books and it felt good. I have to admit though, I held back a little on leg presses and good mornings. Not something I'm going to let happen again. AND I need to pick up the pace on bi's and calves. No reason for them to have taken as long as they did. But I did hammer out a really nice set, especially considering I just hit them yesterday! Here's what happened:

Barbell Curls
    45x10, 65x10, RP 85x12,4,2
    Calf Presses
    90x10, 180x10, 270x10, 360x10, RP 450x10,4,2
    Good Mornings
    45x10, 95x10, 145x10, 195x10
    Leg Press
    450x8, 540x5, 630x3, 720x12

I really think that I could have gotten 15 on leg press and maybe 12 on good mornings. However, that is the heaviest weight I have used on good mornings ever. I just started incorporating them into my routine about a month ago and I really like them. As with any exercise, it's taken a while to get the form and feel down. At first I would lose tension on my hams. Not today, even with the heavy stuff I had great balance between hams, glutes, and back. I had a really nice pump in all three too!

Nothing to report on the SDMZ 3.0 other than increased strength. My daughter feels light as a feather in her car seat, and I can pick her up and front raise her into the base in the back of my F-150. To be fair, it's something I can do normally, but not like this! I'm excited to have a few more weeks on this stuff with the new routine. I'm going to be blasting away at the weights! Progress Pics tomorrow morning.
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Another great training day! It was my second upper body day. I'm glad it's the weekend. I'm going to need a couple days off, but at the same time I'm feeling really good about this week's workouts and my progress. As for the workout, I'm planning on tweaking this day a little. I really like bench press for the ease that I can add smaller incremental weights, but doing a rest pause with it is annoying and not very considerate of the random spotters I grab. So, bench will just be straight sets and I'll finish with a 4 set FST-7 style isolation exercise. I also changed my shoulder exercise. I really need to hammer my rear delts to get more of that 3D look with side poses. So, I switched from overhead press to facepulls. I did get in an extreme stretch this morning, but I only had time for one. So, instead of the usual suggested stretches, I opted for an across bench dumbbell pullover. Basically, I took a 100lb dumbbell and lowered it to the bottom position and held it for as long as I could. This actually hit the chest, lats, and tris all at once. So, it's a great stretch in a pinch. Here's what I did:

1/10/14
    Bench Press
    135x10, 185x10, 225x5, 275x5, RP 275x11,1,1
    Facepulls
    35x12, RP 65x10,4,3
    Reverse Grip Bench Press
    225x8
    Chin-ups
    BWx12,3,1
    Across Bench Dumbbell Pullover Stretch
    Slow 40 Count

I need to start weighing myself when I get to the gym so I know if I need to add weight or not to my bodyweight exercises. Boy and that stretch had me seeing stars when it was over! Brutal. As promised, here's some progress pics. Have a great weekend!

39. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Progress Pics from this morning.

This week was rough with work. So any weight lost was diet only as I didn't make the gym. It worked well though as you can see. Next week I'll be back at it full bore!
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.23%

Well, the weekend's come and gone as well as Monday and today I was back at it! It was certainly tough getting out of bed after last week and Monday. The desire to keep sleeping was strong, but the steel in my conviction to compete was stronger! It was leg day today and a tough one at that. Not so much that exercises were any tougher than normal, but over the last week with the exception of a couple nights this weekend I've been only getting about 4-5 hrs of sleep. Last night was no exception. Hopefully tonight I can get my customary six and start feeling more rested. The one thing that stinks about sleeping so little is that my lungs get very tired feeling. So, when your lungs are already giving you grief at the beginning of the workout, it's tough to really put some oomph into it. But excuses cannot overcome. There is a log book to beat, or as in today's case a bar to be set. My lower back was feeling pretty stiff today, so I decided to exchange my planned front squats for hack squats. My last pin on Monday was a little further back on my right shoulder than I thought, so I've got some major pip in my right rear delt too. It made curls fun today, but it's really gonna make rows and pullups fun tomorrow! Well, without further ado, here's today's workout:

1/21 - Leg Day B - Round 1
    Preacher Curls
    45x10, 65x10, *RP 85x10,1,1
    Hack Squat Calf Raises
    90x10, 180x10, 270x10, *RP 360x8,3,2
    Romanian Deads
    135x10, 225x10, *275x8
    Hack Squats
    180x10, 270x10, *360x15

The weights for calves and quads don't include the weight of the skid. Tomorrow is Upper Body A - Round 2. Time to start beating the log book! Here's my goal weights or reps:

Incline Bench - 190
    Standing Upright Row - 125 (more than 8 reps RP)
    Close Grip Bench - 115 (more than 10 reps)
    Pullups - BW+10

In terms of diet, I'm still keeping myself unrestricted on the weekends, and I make sure I eat plenty! I was really excited about my progress pics last Saturday, and I'm back at it in terms of strict diet since yesterday. I know I posted my original plan a couple weeks ago, but the best laid plans don't always follow what reality dishes out. Here's what my typical day looks like right now:

Breakfast ~ 8am
    6 eggs, 1.5 cups of oatmeal

Lunch ~ Noon
    10 oz meat (cooked weight, today was steak), 1 cup frozen sweet corn, 1 cup frozen sweet peas, 1 cup frozen mixed fruit, 1.5 cups canned black beans

Supper ~ 7pm
    10 oz meat, 1 cup fibrous veggie, 1.5 cups carbohydrate

Just three meals a day, but my muscles are staying full and the fat is disappearing. Keeping things clean and full of fiber really seems to be doing the trick for me at the moment. We'll see how things continue to progress! Progress pics Friday.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
  2. Making the Best Out of a Bad Situation.
    By LowKeyLifter in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-25-2005, 12:43 PM
  3. WHO MAKES THE BEST M1,4add
    By Kachinsky in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 09:15 PM
  4. Making the change from high to low volume training
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 11:05 PM
  5. What makes the site go down?