Rob112^3...That means cubed guys. See what I did?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Decided to start a log on here. I am just starting the cube and I have only been training for powerlifting for less than a year so all help, info, form critiques, etc, are very welcome. Today was my first day in the gym in two weeks so I was a little tight and I didn't quite do everything 100% the way I planned it. Felt good to be back though!

RE Deads

1" Deficit Deads Conventional-Worked up to 275 x 7
Not a single good rep was seen - YouTube
Good Mornings switching stances(wide/close/shoulder width)-185 x 3reps x 6 sets with short rest between sets
Standing Cable Crunch-150 x 15reps x 4 sets, 150 x 18
Hanging leg raises w/straps-BW x 10, 9, 8w/wife pushing legs back on last set

Those were not pretty. Bar drift, rounding, anything else? Haven't tried conventional in months and I wasn't getting that low in a sumo stance. I will need to make up a small platform because my gym doesn't have **** for deficit work. Wanted to get in some unilateral leg work but didn't quite get there today. The GMs felt great to stretch me out some.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hello

I would just go to Home Depot and grab 2 sections of plywood and stack em how ya want. I would suggest standing on a plate.....but they have holes obviously.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hello

I would just go to Home Depot and grab 2 sections of plywood and stack em how ya want. I would suggest standing on a plate.....but they have holes obviously.
Ya I usually stand on some bumper plates. I need to go build myself some 2 and 3boards though...hmmm

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hello

Sup man!

Yea that was the problem, they just "upgraded" to weights with giant holes. There is a box thing there but it is a couple inches high. I improvised lol.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ya I usually stand on some bumper plates. I need to go build myself some 2 and 3boards though...hmmm
Yea I'd like to get to that too. I am gonna use the slingshot in place of boards for now on every 3rd bench movement.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subb-a-dub.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ME Bench
Floor Press(All Pause reps, even with SS)
185 x 4, 3, 2, 2
+Sling Shot x 205 x 2, 225 x 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8XUthzdN0A
Kroc Rows-75 x 22ea(Rep PR)
Tate Press-35's x 8, 7, 10
Face Pulls-60 x 15reps x 3 sets

This workout was better than yesterdays. Working on adding to work capacity. Pressing is my weakest point so I really hope to improve. I am doing all pause reps now so this way I am more confident at competition time on my 2nd and 3rd attempts. I use the SS here as per Brandon Lilly's suggestion as where I don't let it do very much of the work. Just a little push off the bottom. I also noticed I flatten out some after rep one. More to work on.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
DE Squats

Warm up on lower days is always something like this(and I am adding volume)
Mash out
Hypers x 30, BW lunges x 10el, Squats with a micro mini red band x 10-15
Supple Leopard stretch for squats routine
Then I work up to working sets like every other human being in the world.
I may not type these warm ups a lot as I don't have much PC time on here. That is the gist though.

Back Squat-185 x 3reps x 6 sets(taped 4th set)
+Reverse bands x 235 x 2, 255 x 2(taped last set)
Reverse Band Pseudo SSB Goodmornings-185 x 10, 205 x 10reps x 2sets(Taped last set)
BW Bulgarian Split Squats-60 reps
Side Bends/Planks-65 x 12reps x 3 sets/3 sets to fail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8g234aqrc

Left leg was dying out on the bulgarian split squats when I was working the right leg...doesn't make sense to me either. This was my first time trying to set up bands like this. I think it went well. Felt like I had an awesome workout. Look forward to critiques on form or even my reverse band set up if you guys have any. This was planned at 60% as per the book. Then 80%.

Also, a little tired from watching the OT finals game last night...which was a disappointment loss but great game. Once I got going I was good. That said I am happy this wasn't a ME day due to lack of sleep.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good work dude. I wish I had a SSB so bad. I'm trying to get my owner to buy some more specialty equipment, but he is a tight ass.

Hear you on staying up all night watching the game. Although I was happy with the outcome tehe.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good work dude. I wish I had a SSB so bad. I'm trying to get my owner to buy some more specialty equipment, but he is a tight ass.

Hear you on staying up all night watching the game. Although I was happy with the outcome tehe.
I don't have one either. The straps to mimic one is nice. Takes a lot of work to hold on though.

I am eventually gonna make some trips to Stevie P's gym in south Philly when I get the time and money(providing there are day passes.

Heat fan huh...I bet you went from wtf are you doing Bron to your the man! Haha

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmm I'm going to have to look into getting some straps. I really think they would serve well on GM's.

Can't really say I'm a heat fan, but I'm from Ohio, so I love me some Lebron. I watched him play in HS, he sh1t on everyone lol. Def was a roller coaster of a game.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright, here's what I see; you're not sitting back enough, and on a few of your reps the knee ends up past your toe. May need to widen the stance a bit, but you're bending at the knees to initiate the movement.

Secondly, your heel looks like it comes off the ground a few times. This can be a function of not sitting back enough, and/or poor ankle mobility. Either way, try and keep the weight on your heels.

Speed looked good, chest/upper back and head all looked good.

:thumbsup:

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Alright, here's what I see; you're not sitting back enough, and on a few of your reps the knee ends up past your toe. May need to widen the stance a bit, but you're bending at the knees to initiate the movement.

Secondly, your heel looks like it comes off the ground a few times. This can be a function of not sitting back enough, and/or poor ankle mobility. Either way, try and keep the weight on your heels.

Speed looked good, chest/upper back and head all looked good.

:thumbsup:
I do think I have some ankle mobility issues. I'll try going a little wider too. I will check out some squat tutorials to see if I can find a cue to help sit back more; or maybe warm up with a box TnG. Thank you for the honest feedback sir.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah man don't ever take offense to my critique, I'll never be sh1tty to another PL. I want to see you get better, homey.

Plus, until Napalm or Sean look, I might be totally full of shyt. ;)

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bodybuilding and Weak Point Training

Incline Close Grip Bench(pause reps)-135 x 5, 5, 4
Shoulder Press/Chin Ups
Bar x 10, 95 x 8, 6, 65 x 15/BW x 5, BW + 25 X 3reps x 2sets, BW x 5
Chest Supported Pyramid Up and Down Row(No Rest)-45 x 5, 70 x 5, 80 x 5, 90 x 5, 80 x 5, 70 x 5, 45 x 5
HS Calf Extensions-3 x 45lb plates each side x 12reps x 6 sets
Curl Burnouts w/fatgrips-Curl with fat grips and then move to smooth x 2 sets

I am very weak on the vertical plane. I need to fix that. Threw in some weighted chins to help. With the pause on Incline Presses I really felt like it was all shoulder coming off the chest as I have zero leg drive. Some back too I suppose. No videos as this isn't really a workout that calls for it. It was fun and I enjoyed it even though I am weak in almost everything I did(good thing IMO to hit it all).

1 week of cubing and I am enjoying it so far. Ready to hit it hard starting again on Sunday.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bodybuilding and Weak Point Training

Incline Close Grip Bench(pause reps)-135 x 5, 5, 4
Shoulder Press/Chin Ups
Bar x 10, 95 x 8, 6, 65 x 15/BW x 5, BW + 25 X 3reps x 2sets, BW x 5
Chest Supported Pyramid Up and Down Row(No Rest)-45 x 5, 70 x 5, 80 x 5, 90 x 5, 80 x 5, 70 x 5, 45 x 5
HS Calf Extensions-3 x 45lb plates each side x 12reps x 6 sets
Curl Burnouts w/fatgrips-Curl with fat grips and then move to smooth x 2 sets

I am very weak on the vertical plane. I need to fix that. Threw in some weighted chins to help. With the pause on Incline Presses I really felt like it was all shoulder coming off the chest as I have zero leg drive. Some back too I suppose. No videos as this isn't really a workout that calls for it. It was fun and I enjoyed it even though I am weak in almost everything I did(good thing IMO to hit it all).

1 week of cubing and I am enjoying it so far. Ready to hit it hard starting again on Sunday.
My first bodybuilding day was very humbling, that's for sure. It turns out to be a good thing, though. Once you're good at the stuff you suck at, you'll be even better at the stuff you're good at. Really, all of our weak point days should be humbling. If you can dominate a certain weak point movement a couple weeks in a row, it's probably time to move on to something else.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My first bodybuilding day was very humbling, that's for sure. It turns out to be a good thing, though. Once you're good at the stuff you suck at, you'll be even better at the stuff you're good at. Really, all of our weak point days should be humbling. If you can dominate a certain weak point movement a couple weeks in a row, it's probably time to move on to something else.
Good call on that. I would eventually like to switch out and get some shrugs in here and more abs. Gotta get that capacity up.

Thanks for the advice herdaderdaderderdadude man :D

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, dude, by all means. On both accounts. Switch em out (but don't lose track), and anytime, that's what I'm here for.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
DE Deads
Sumo Pulls-225 x 6sets pf 3 reps, 1 set of 2reps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPV2Bg5wwg
Snatch Grip Rack Pulls-185 x 8, 205 x 5reps x 2 sets
Bulgarian Split Squats-BW x 60 total reps
Cable Crunch/DB Shrug-150 x 15reps x 4set/60's x 10reps x 4sets
Started doing side bends but ran out of time before work.

Forgot Deadlift socks...new bars suck balls...I am a little beat up today. Overall felt like a great workout though. I hope to get some critique on the pulls so I can continue to get better. Felt a little tight getting into position but it looks like my back was straight and the bar moved straight...I'll leave that up to you guys if it really is.

EDIT: Feel like my hip position looks like ****.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I thought your hip position looked ok. Your hips didn't move before the bar did, so that's a good thing. What didn't you like about them?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I thought your hip position looked ok. Your hips didn't move before the bar did, so that's a good thing. What didn't you like about them?
I guess I thought they were highish when the pull started and I used more back than hip/quads.

I am a bad critic on myself so I could be wrong.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I also feel like I didn't pull them down when I pulled the non-existent slack out of the bar lol. Like I said, I'm tough on myself as we all are.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everyone is different. It depends on your leverages and strengths. There are basic rules we should adhere to, but each person is going to look slightly different.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks good to me. I'd say the big thing is that rock forwards slightly as you initiate the break off the floor

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have one either. The straps to mimic one is nice. Takes a lot of work to hold on though.

I am eventually gonna make some trips to Stevie P's gym in south Philly when I get the time and money(providing there are day passes.

Heat fan huh...I bet you went from wtf are you doing Bron to your the man! Haha
Iron Sport has day passes. I think they're $10.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Everyone is different. It depends on your leverages and strengths. There are basic rules we should adhere to, but each person is going to look slightly different.
True dat

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks good to me. I'd say the big thing is that rock forwards slightly as you initiate the break off the floor
Ahhh okay, I'll keep that in mind. I think it's three weeks until I pull from the floor though :(

Be nice on the hips though :)

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Iron Sport has day passes. I think they're $10.
And the guy who showed me pseudo gm's...I was hoping you'd pop up in here sir.

Awesome, $10 bucks is not bad. That gym looks great. Wish I lived closer bc my gym keeps making crappy "upgrades."

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you don't mind me asking, how do you set up those pseudo GM's? I really want to try them.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you don't mind me asking, how do you set up those pseudo GM's? I really want to try them.
I just put the loop of the wrist wraps around the bar and place them so they will go over my traps/shoulder when I get under the bar, the. I pull the bar to my back as I unrack and try to assume a position as if a SSB was on my back.

RODJA showed me a video but I don't remember how to get it on my phone. I can tape my set up next time if that didn't explain it well.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I got the picture. Thanks. I can see how those are hard to hang on too.

Now, I need to invest into a pair of wrist wraps. Never been a fan of those things.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, I got the picture. Thanks. I can see how those are hard to hang on too.

Now, I need to invest into a pair of wrist wraps. Never been a fan of those things.
The I-Force ones are long. I got them with a product during a sale. I agree though. My grip strength jumped when I dropped them.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In this. Idk how I wasn't already.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
RE Bench

Flat Bench-Worked up to 165 x 8 w/pause
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74zxVKSqTU
Close Grip Bench-135 x 8, 5, 7
Horizontal Pull Ups/Band Pull Aparts-BW x 12, 10, 8/Red Band x 15, 10, 13

**** THE NIGHT CREW!

My gym sucks ******* when you go this late. I spent a lot of time waiting around and it really sucked. Still got my main goal accomplished...but this is why I would rather wake up super early than go at night. Any help on bench would be much appreciated as this is where I have the most problem. I am back to using a PVC to help settle into a higher arch. I start to lose it a little(part of it is just the shirt dropping) as the reps go on. I also have some trouble pushing my heels to my traps as they say...I can feel it at first.

Last note...I really am weak past like 5 reps. I also took the 8 sets of 3 over the 3 sets of 8 type of approach. I think that this day will help me in that regard. This is the first wave so it was 70%. I am keeping the main movement close to the book for this run.

EDIT: Oh, the thank button is back. Move along, nothing to see here lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It looks like you're sliding with each rep and you subsequently get flatter and flatter. Another thing I noticed is lifting the bar out of the rack as opposed to pulling it out and this is causing your scapula retraction to loosen.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It looks like you're sliding with each rep and you subsequently get flatter and flatter. Another thing I noticed is lifting the bar out of the rack as opposed to pulling it out and this is causing your scapula retraction to loosen.
I feel like the trying to push to my traps has me sliding like I can't grip on the bench. Maybe I gotta arch the upper back a hair more.

I just completely messed up the pulling out.

Thank you Sir

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I feel like the trying to push to my traps has me sliding like I can't grip on the bench. Maybe I gotta arch the upper back a hair more.

I just completely messed up the pulling out.

Thank you Sir
No problem. Focus on keeping the weight in your lats and let the bar sink into your hands after you pull it out. One trick you can do is to push yourself into the bench after you pull the bar out to make sure your scapula are in optimal position.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No problem. Focus on keeping the weight in your lats and let the bar sink into your hands after you pull it out. One trick you can do is to push yourself into the bench after you pull the bar out to make sure your scapula are in optimal position.
I'll keep that specifically in mind next session and go from there.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ME Squat 80%

Squat-worked up to 250 x 2reps x 4 sets and last set rep'd to 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJB5uBHAgOQ
GM's-135 x 10reps x 3 sets(switching stances)
BB Rollouts-9, 8, 8, 7
Shrugs/Side Bends-65's x 10, 12, 10, 10/65 x 10es, 10es, 8es, 6es(grip started dying here)

This was my first time every using knee wraps. Workout took awhile to do so I will have to figure out how to do this faster for days that I have work after. That is my last set in the video. I will say the knee wraps do make a difference, and all I have are the eliteFTS beginner ones. Had to use the wrist raps on the last set too because my wrist with the slight carpel tunnel was getting sore.

Another note is the top of my quads/possible groin area took forever to warm up. I actually set up a box and did some box squats on the warm up to get me sitting back. My legs were also kinda fried after the main movement...that is why not much after for lower body. I have my body day tomorrow so I will hit up more of my arch nemesis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY
Skip to 1:52 and imagine a banded distraction on it and you got my hip opener today. It was bliss my friends. I also upped more volume on the warmup by and extra set of hypers and bw lunges.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn. That's a hellacious hip stretching sequence. I'll definitely be throwing that in today. KStarr is one bendy dude.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hip mobility as demonstrated by Gumby.

Damn...I hope to be that flexible one day.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yea his flexibility is ridiculous. Mine isn't that good. I do that sequence before all squat and deadlift sessions after my warmup. Today I just added a banded distraction(also in the book).

It is awesome stuff.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it's even better when you drop that front leg down on the ground sideways!