13 Weeks to RPS Rawdawg Nats: Herder's PUUUGHE Comeback

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After injury and failure, I need to retool and come back stronger. I will be competing at the RPS Rawdawg Nationals inMyerstown, PA (near Hershey) and I'll be doing so weighing 198. The next three weeks will be dedicated to training in the 10, 12, 20 rep range with a lot of volume and focusing mostly on weak points.

Weak Points:
Upper Back
Lower Back
Rear Delts/Posture
Pecs
Abs

I'll be working with body days 3-4 times a week and starting June 10th I will get back into the Cube with maxes set at 500/360/525. I'll be following the Cube more faithfully, obeying the percentages even if I think they're light, not maxing, and using form that is harder than competiton style. I'll be competing in the Modern Raw division, which allows knee wraps. I will be putting more focus on good mornings, back extensions, pull throughs, unilateral legs, and dumbbell work. I also need to prowl 3x a week at least. I have abandoned dumbells recently, and I don't think that was the best strategy for me.

I really want you guys to hold me accountable for prowling and posterior chain work, as sometimes I get caught up in training the fun lifts.

Lastly, my goal for this meet is to have a 1455 total at 198, with a USPA Junior Master level squat of 535, a Elite Junior bench of 370, and an Elite Junior deadlift of 550. Also, by the end of this, I'd really like it if it looks like I can lift heavy things. These past few months I've gotten damn strong, and damn soft. This all needs to change.

Remember guys, speak up. I don't need praise (maybe sometimes when I'm having a bad day. lol), I need a kick in the ass and pointed in the right direction.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today is going to be making my Rage work (because I'm pissed) and then doing dumbbell pressing to get my pecs to look less like hairy breasts.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In it. I'll post a link later for ya from Scribd of BL's template that he gave his testers before the book. I'm contemplating RPS as well. Buddy did competed in it and said it was a good experience. Check out RPS's website though because they have a crap load of diff divisions, amateur, pro, elite ect

I'm glad you're dropping to 198 so I'm not the only puscy under 200lbs lol

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lets do it.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Of course I'm in on this!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
when is your meet??
June 9th. I'm freaking pumped/nervous! 3 more training days and then easy breezy until day of. Doing weigh in the night before. Gonna be below 198 by a few lbs.

I am gonna try and have my girl tape it so I can post up the videos in the PL section after.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
June 9th. I'm freaking pumped/nervous! 3 more training days and then easy breezy until day of. Doing weigh in the night before. Gonna be below 198 by a few lbs.

I am gonna try and have my girl tape it so I can post up the videos in the PL section after.
Good luck!!!! Lookin forward to seeing it bud.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Phuck yeah you got a meet!?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In it. I'll post a link later for ya from Scribd of BL's template that he gave his testers before the book. I'm contemplating RPS as well. Buddy did competed in it and said it was a good experience. Check out RPS's website though because they have a crap load of diff divisions, amateur, pro, elite ect

I'm glad you're dropping to 198 so I'm not the only puscy under 200lbs lol
Yeah I'll probably go Am. Definitely not paying for a drug test, that's absurd.

Today's training sucked. I got 365 to a 1, which is much better on the way down than I had done. But I could barely get it off of my chest. A month ago, I could do 365 to a 1 raw. In case you didn't know, it is possible to screw yourself up that badly.

Any time I go for a touch, I always get screwed up and float it ridiculously high. I thought I'd be able to make this thing work, but I have serious doubts now. Time to get back to a program.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In it to win it. Get it man.

The meet looks good I just checked it out.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Phuck yeah you got a meet!?
Yes sir, WNPF. They do meets in Philly and bordentown nj all the time(close to me).

RPS does some semi close stuff. May try one of then in the future.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Heck yeah, guys. We should get a really good AM contingent out there.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Regardihg your 1455 goal...why don't you shoot for the Elite 1471? Make up the other 16lbs with motivation and dedication..

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm sure I could find 16lbs in there somewhere... I was going off of the new USPA classifications that have setups based on age and include RAW RAW, knee wraps raw, single ply, and multi-ply. Junior Elite knee wraps raw is 1492. Can I find 40lbs? We'll see. Maybe I should be gunning for a 400 lb bench to get that Int'l Elite. That would put me at 1485 without changing anything else.

Really, I need to focus on the next training day, and take it one at a time. I couldn't even reverse 370 yesterday, and adding 35 to my squat and 25 to my deadlift may be tough since I have to totally rehab my back.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5/27 Body day

DB Flat Press
80x12
100x8x2
80x8/3/3 (rest pause)
add Slingshot
90x6 brutal on the pecs

DB Shoulder Press
70x8x2 bicep/brachialis pain was getting bad

Lateral Raise
20x15
25x12x2

Tate Press
35x15
45x12x2

Pullups (3 grips)
BWx8x3

High Pulley Rows
90x8x3

Facepulls/Pullaparts
70x10/10

Leg Press
3 platesx12x2 this one is a heavy one, and I came to a complete stop on the catch pins

Calf Press
3 platesx20x3

Earthquake Bar Bench (pause 1" off chest)
Bar+50x a lot x 2
Bar+130x1x2 holy fork

Good session. We moved quickly, worked hard, and got in some volume. Also tried out the new farmers walk implements at my strongman gym. They weighed about a buck fiddy apiece and were cake. Jim, you should've seen these things, they were just hunks of steel with handles on them, like from a loading dock or something.

Humbling to see how weak I was on dumbbell exercises. There has been so much neglect. At least I know where I can improve.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
These were fun:

[video=youtube;UWhw_QeqPM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWhw_QeqPM8&feature=plcp[/video]

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Herder 5, Ham BBQ sammitches 0

First time doing blood volume training on Enhanced, and my pump has lasted two hours after my training sesh. Is this real life?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That crazy bar stuff looked intense. I'd probably shake so hard. Seems like the first time I tried to do ring dips and my whole body looked like I was going to explode. :lol:

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh man, I can't do ring anything. Add them to the list! I was a little tighter with just the 25's on there. It would definitely carry over better in the 8-10 range. If you don't have one of those, you can always go out and buy a piece of schedule 40 PVC about 1 1/2" thick and hang KBs from that.

Earthquake Bar: $300

5' Schedule 40 1.5": $3.67 at Lowe's

I plan on doing BB rows with it, skullcrushers, GMs, overhead work, upright rows, anything at all. Get TIGHT, get STABLE!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It was tough. For whatever reason, I feel like it really honed in on the pecs, probably from bringing the bells closer together at the top. You're still getting good lockout work and it's not like the Slingshot stabilizes the dumbbells as I thought it might. You have to take your time on the way down, pause, and press it with intention as opposed to muscling it back into the groove.

All in all, I would say it's a great way to get more volume in and get the form working in the pecs. I'm setting a goal to be using the 100s for 50 reps total again by the end of June and get a single set of 20 with the Slingshot. Then I'll start pressing the 130s I have at the shed. Haven't been able to do that yet.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll give it a shot maybe Wednesday. Try it with dips.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was totally going to do dips, but my brachialis told me no. Next time for certain. I need to do more dips.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Use it for your last set of weighted dips-your tris & upper back will be totally smoked. I mean it..SMOKED.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/27 Body day

DB Flat Press
80x12
100x8x2
80x8/3/3 (rest pause)
add Slingshot
90x6 brutal on the pecs

DB Shoulder Press
70x8x2 bicep/brachialis pain was getting bad

Lateral Raise
20x15
25x12x2

Tate Press
35x15
45x12x2

Pullups (3 grips)
BWx8x3

High Pulley Rows
90x8x3

Facepulls/Pullaparts
70x10/10

Leg Press
3 platesx12x2 this one is a heavy one, and I came to a complete stop on the catch pins

Calf Press
3 platesx20x3

Earthquake Bar Bench (pause 1" off chest)
Bar+50x a lot x 2
Bar+130x1x2 holy fork

Good session. We moved quickly, worked hard, and got in some volume. Also tried out the new farmers walk implements at my strongman gym. They weighed about a buck fiddy apiece and were cake. Jim, you should've seen these things, they were just hunks of steel with handles on them, like from a loading dock or something.

Humbling to see how weak I was on dumbbell exercises. There has been so much neglect. At least I know where I can improve.
Man, 100x8?! Fuark you bro....

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Use it for your last set of weighted dips-your tris & upper back will be totally smoked. I mean it..SMOKED.
Man, that's what I like to hear, more upper back. I don't do weighted dips at home because I'm afraid the machine will break. I may just have to bite the bullet.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That earthquake bar looks down right dangerous lol holy ****

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man, 100x8?! Fuark you bro....
Last time I did DB bench was January and I did 70x20, 80x15, 90x15, and 100x12x2 and my best set ever is 115x6. ;) Remember I have 50lbs on you.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Last time I did DB bench was January and I did 70x20, 80x15, 90x15, and 100x12x2 and my best set ever is 115x6. ;) Remember I have 50lbs on you.
I used to weigh 195, put up 115s for 8-10....but I couldn't barbell bench 185 for reps lol

Now 80's work me..

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmm. . . You make an excellent point. I just think my pec development has gone backwards and I want to look like I lift. It's going to be good supplemental stuff.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to weigh 195, put up 115s for 8-10....but I couldn't barbell bench 185 for reps lol

Now 80's work me..
I expect to do a good deal more DB work to strengthen my left tricep.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a good call. It'll come along quick and then your bilateral stuff will jump.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today: Earthquake bar pause squats. Everything I'm seeing, hearing, reading on the Earthquake bar is describing it as unbelievably good therapy. I plan on squatting with it until I max out the bar (300lbs or wherever the gym owner stops me) for multiple sets of 8.

Another note, EFS ran out of the squat suit I ordered. I will be getting refunded, and I'm not too worried about it. I wasn't sure about the size or my readiness to be squatting in full unlimited gear.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The EQ bar terrifies me. You're more man than I, sir.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The EQ bar terrifies me. You're more man than I, sir.
Don't worry, I'll upload video for you to laugh at. I'll also be test driving my new squat form, where the entire focus is vertical torso. I'll be sacrificing some sit-back, but some very strong squatters squat vertical torso, and it should protect my back. It's also going to help me get depth easier. I think it'll be the most natural-looking squat I can pull off, too. I'll see what you guys think of that.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5/28 DE Lower

Speed Squats
225+60chainx5x3
245x3
275 paused x3

Tandem Pulls
295x1x10 in 3min

Tweaked my back on #10. I was just starting to get fast, too.

EQ Bar Front Squats (I should have thought to do fronts from the beginning, so much nicer on the back)

Bar+88x8x2
Bar+168x5x3

EQ Bar Front Holds (unrack, shimmy, stabilize, repeat)
Bar+168x30s

Aaaand that was it. We have steamed crab to eat. Earthquake bar was much easier with squats. I'll start doing those at the beginning to activate the core. Will update with vid of the EQ squats

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In! Had to find the new one...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In! Had to find the new one...
My bad, I thought I linked it! I have a newfound respect for your work in the Katana after my whiff.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My bad, I thought I linked it! I have a newfound respect for your work in the Katana after my whiff.
You did, I just missed it.You try on a Katana? I jumped straight into a tightish Katana, it's hard man.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You did, I just missed it.You try on a Katana? I jumped straight into a tightish Katana, it's hard man.
Yeah, I couldn't get into my Rage on meet day, so I tried out this guy's Katana. Comfy getting to the chest, and 425 jumped off of my chest, but I lost support a few inches up and dumped it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
6/1 Body Day

Press

Bar...
95x12
115x10
135x8
155x6
135x8x2

Front Squat

225x8x2
275x3
225x8

Low Incline DB Press
70x15x4 Dat Burn...

Leg Extension
15x4

Furniture Slider Leg Curl/BW Calf Raises
12x4/25x4

Back Extensions
BWx20x4

Dips with Slingshot (shoulders were unhappy)
BWx20x3

Curls

Frickin HOT in the shack today, man. Kind of a so-so day. Not a lot of calories yet and I worked like a dog for 12 hours yesterday. Tomorrow I'll hit it good.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[video=youtube;jYzPOqYBj0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYzPOqYBj0c[/video]

Something is wrong with my patterning, I think. My butt wants to come back like Pete Rubish instead of driving up and in.

EDIT: Not that I'd compare myself to Pete Rubish in any form or fashion. Kid's a monster.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just flipped the tire for the first time!

Out of necessity, it was moved yesterday (I wasn't there, but it was probably by one guy, with little effort.) To mow the grass, we had to flip it back to where it was.
I had the help of a rachet strap pulling down on the far edge, which got the edge up about a foot and probably took away some resistance. We know how to calculate band resistance, but how do we calculate rachet strap resistance?

I may have invented a method for using supramaximal tires...