Killn' The Cube: My powerlifting venture begins

Page 65 of 114 First ... 6364656667 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332
    Your lower body has improved so much in your bench press, dude. Solid pressing.
    I appreciate it man.

It's like night and day when I'm on. I can't wait to try on a real bench set up and see if I can get more drive while keeping my ass down. 1.5 weeks away.

2. Today:

Meadows rows:
    135x10
    145x8
    160x6x2

I think these are called meadows rows. Pretty much one arm t-bar row. Or, they could be actually called 1 arm t-bar row, lol.

Cat-back: 4 sets to failure. These MF'ers burn. Used the heavy band.

Chest supported reverse DB fly SS pull-aparts: 30/30x3- this volume tho. I was dying.

Face-pulls: 120x12x3- slow

Banded EZ bar curl: 15x3- 40+average band

Ab wheel roll-out: 10x3

Foam roll & that's all she wrote. Good day. I prefer splitting up the days like this so I can hammer my upper back while fresh. Going to be sore tmrw.
    •   

3. Thinking about using knee wraps for the meet. That would give me a much better chance of getting a 500# squat. Hmm, decisions..

4. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Thinking about using knee wraps for the meet. That would give me a much better chance of getting a 500# squat. Hmm, decisions..
    That's a no ****ing brainer. Buy them!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332
    That's a no ****ing brainer. Buy them!
    It's not for me, lol. I don't even like wearing a belt most the time.

Leaning towards it though. We'll see.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Thinking about using knee wraps for the meet. That would give me a much better chance of getting a 500# squat. Hmm, decisions..
    Definitely mess with them a few weeks out if you're gonna rock them. I tried them for the first time last week and it's hard to hit depth, even though you feel like you're there. Changes things a lot.

7. Safety AND carryover! What's not to love? You'd like the 2m Blue Arrows or Inzer Grippers. That's a good place to start. And like Dave said, you gotta work with them to be comfortable. Your first time with them, probably work them at least the last 8 weeks leading up to the meet. You can keep your holeshot by doing DE work without, but wrapped box squats, free squats, and pause squats would be your jam.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

8. Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop
    Definitely mess with them a few weeks out if you're gonna rock them. I tried them for the first time last week and it's hard to hit depth, even though you feel like you're there. Changes things a lot.
    I'll keep that in mind man. My meets not until June, but I definitely need ample time to adjust to them, If I decide to do so.

9. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    I'll keep that in mind man. My meets not until June, but I definitely need ample time to adjust to them, If I decide to do so.
    I heard they work great with "meggings"...
    Hahahahaha

10. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude
    Safety AND carryover! What's not to love? You'd like the 2m Blue Arrows or Inzer Grippers. That's a good place to start. And like Dave said, you gotta work with them to be comfortable. Your first time with them, probably work them at least the last 8 weeks leading up to the meet. You can keep your holeshot by doing DE work without, but wrapped box squats, free squats, and pause squats would be your jam.
    In terms of carryover; wraps help you come out the hole right? So, if I'm relying on wraps to give me a spring, then wouldn't I be neglecting where I and 99% of squatters are weak? Kind of the same argument non accommodating resistance perpetuates pose.

Not arguing, I just assume you have more knowledge than I. Enlighten a bro.

I assume the best best way to go about it is a balance of wrap/non wrap squatting. That way you get the overload, but by not using them you get to train the weakness.

11. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    In terms of carryover; wraps help you come out the hole right? So, if I'm relying on wraps to give me a spring, then wouldn't I be neglecting where I and 99% of squatters are weak? Kind of the same argument non accommodating resistance perpetuates pose.

I assume the best best way to go about it is a balance of wrap/non wrap squatting. That way you get the overload, but by not using them you get to train the weakness.

I feel it comes down to why you use them (kind of what you allude to with the overload).

If you plan to compete with wraps you should use them quite regularly to get used to them and practice the actual way you will squat when you compete.

If you plan to compete with out them they can be used at times to give the body an overload and get used to heavier weights on your back.

That is how I have used them since I don't plan to use them in competitions for the time being.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

12. Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop
    I heard they work great with "meggings"... Hahahahaha
    Hahah, wraps + meggings would make a man a got damn missile coming out of the hole.

13. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10
    I feel it comes down to why you use them (kind of what you allude to with the overload). If you plan to compete with wraps you should use them quite regularly to get used to them and practice the actual way you will squat when you compete. If you plan to compete with out them they can be used at times to give the body an overload and get used to heavier weights on your back. That is how I have used them since I don't plan to use them in competitions for the time being.
    Thanks for your input Bolt.

My only goal is to make my body as strong as possible throughout the entire ROM. If I use them, I will use them for carryover purposes and sparingly. Of course I will have to use them more at the start to become accustom.

Safety has never been a concern of mine, since I'm one of the lucky one's who don't have knee issues. Then I saw Lilly split his knee cap in half. That's a game changer, lol.

Edit: our goals parallel each other it sounds like. Will most likely buy some for overload. Not going knee wrap crazy though.

14. What Bolt said. It's not going to take away from anything at all, just add on extra pounds. They really effect knee track, rebound, and stopping power so you'll need time in them to learn them, even if it's just for overload purposes. All my wrapless squat days have been based off a wrapped squat % so it's not taking too much away. I think they can help you out on occassion.
    [email protected]

15. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332
    What Bolt said. It's not going to take away from anything at all, just add on extra pounds. They really effect knee track, rebound, and stopping power so you'll need time in them to learn them, even if it's just for overload purposes. All my wrapless squat days have been based off a wrapped squat % so it's not taking too much away. I think they can help you out on occassion.
    Thanks Sean.

16. Westside: Week 5- DE lower

Deadlift: 1x10- 315+short lights

Squat: 1x8- 275

Low box squat: 5x4

One legged leg press: 10x3

Great day. Was pretty fired up and got in some great work. Speed was good, videos coming for confirmation.

17. DE vids:

Deadlift: 315+short lights- maybe 385 at the top?

http://youtu.be/lb7juQBPh8w

My speed has improved w/o a doubt. I think the band work is contributing.

Squat: 275

http://youtu.be/Bi3Lop_4gbY

Really focusing on settling before initiating the movement. Happy w/ the speed at 275, it's the heaviest I've ever gone on DE day.

18. Fast as fuuuuuuck.
    [email protected]

19. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post

Yes, you're right. What I was saying is to wrap for every ME lower day and don't wrap for any DE days. That's how Westside does it. See, first, it'll take you a couple sessions to learn how to squat with a light wrap, then you have to learn how to squat with tighter wraps, which will take a little while. You're set up perfectly with a ME/DE split to work with and without. Once you get used to them, you can stay away from them until 4-6 weeks out. But they can take some getting used to. Like Sean was saying, it'll stop you in the bottom, change how your knees track, and give you a spring that you have to be able work with, not fight. I'm a full blown knee wraap whore, but remember I squatted wrapped for 12 weeks in a row and then took all my equipment off and hit a PR without wraps 3 weeks later.
    Training log:

20. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Fast as fuuuuuuck.
    Right. Could've jumped out of the hole if it had been any faster.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

21. Bar sense app would be great for DE work...

Load the video between sets (or record with the app) to make sure the speed stays in the range you want it in.

22. Thanks guys. That was 20lbs heavier than I've gone on squats & deads on DE day.

Herder- I'm getting some, but I'm containing the slootness.

Jim- that would be sweet, but I have an iPhone.

23. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Herder- I'm getting some, but I'm containing the slootness.

2m Blue Arrows FTW! Your fast descent will love them. prowristwraps.com
    Training log:

24. I'm gonna go on a limb and say you could move the weight up next time for DE work. I know, I know, ballsy move to suggest haha

Edit: I want that app for iPhone
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

25. Quote Originally Posted by rob112
    I'm gonna go on a limb and say you could move the weight up next time for DE work. I know, I know, ballsy move to suggest haha Edit: I want that app for iPhone
    Haha, this was heavier than I've ever gone, so I didn't expect this amount of speed. Next time I will.

26. Westside: Week 5- DE upper

DE bench: 3x6- 155+short lights (TnG first 2, pause 3)

OHP:
    135x8
    155x8
    155x6
    135x8

Cable side lateral:
    20x20x2
    30x12x1

Chest supported row: 65'sx12x3

Banded EZ bar curl triceps extension: 20x3

SGHP:
    135x10x2
    185x6 (my upper back/traps are going to hate me tmrw)

Standing DB hammer curl: 30'sx20x3 (slow)

Concentration curl: 30x12x3 (slow)

Plate pinches: 2 10's to failure

Only lasted about an hr 15 min. Got some good work in. Feel strong like.

27. Getting strong buddy!
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

28. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin
    Getting strong buddy!
    Thanks bro.

I'm not as strong as I'm gonna get, but I'm stronger than I used to be.

29. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Thanks bro. I'm not as strong as I'm gonna get, but I'm stronger than I used to be.
    Sounds like winning to me

30. Crazy night last night. I make questionable decisions, haha..
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
  2. The Plan & My Goal...
    By 01yz426 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 12:55 AM
  3. "In the Zone": (My Focus XT review)
    By motiv8er in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM