Page 6 of 75 First ... 4567811 ... Last
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

So this is my last week of training before max outs. Now, I'm in need for some suggestions.

I'm going to have to DL heavy Thursday instead of Friday due to conflicting schedules. I'm not sure, but i was under the impression you took a deload before meet day. Seems like a lot to go 95% of max 3-4 days before testing. Now I'm aware Lilly knows a lot more than me, but should I still go that heavy? Also, should I cut out body day Sunday since I'm maxing Wed?

I just want to make sure I'm 100% when I'm hunting new PR's.

Edit- I was thinking about still going heavy Thursday to build confidence in my DL, then cut out body day Sunday.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Yeah, you're gonna want to take a week of chill time. PLing convention says that your last heavy pulling is 14 days from meet day, squatting 10, and benching 7 days out. I have done max effort deadlifts two days before a meet, though. Do as I say, not as I do.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude
    Yeah, you're gonna want to take a week of chill time. PLing convention says that your last heavy pulling is 14 days from meet day, squatting 10, and benching 7 days out. I have done max effort deadlifts two days before a meet, though. Do as I say, not as I do.
    Thanks. That will be incredibly hard for me. I haven't taken a deload in 2 years, lol.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.62%

That part kind of confuses me too. I recall Lilly saying something like 5 10 week cycles a year...two weeks for being sick or vacation. That leaves no room for pre and post meet(mock or real) deload. .
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.97%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I recall reading that there is no deload

who knows
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332
    I recall reading that there is no deload

who knows
    Same here. I thought Lilly said week 10 was meet or mock meet day. The way my glutes feel right now, it might take a full week alone for them to recover, ha.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.62%

I guess if it is a mock meet it wouldn't really hurt to not deload first time around and try it late in week 10. Then if your body is up to it go in hard since you only really have to bring it(as Lilly says) once a week on ME day; otherwise listen to the body and maybe take the eleventh week off.

Be interesting to see how it plays out for all of us.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Quote Originally Posted by rob112
    I guess if it is a mock meet it wouldn't really hurt to not deload first time around and try it late in week 10. Then if your body is up to it go in hard since you only really have to bring it(as Lilly says) once a week on ME day; otherwise listen to the body and maybe take the eleventh week off.

Be interesting to see how it plays out for all of us.
    True. I have nothing to lose either way. Like you said I'll just go with maxing late week 10.

Already thinking about how I'll be constructing my next cube run. Should be good.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.62%

Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post

True. I have nothing to lose either way. Like you said I'll just go with maxing late week 10.

Already thinking about how I'll be constructing my next cube run. Should be good.
    Should be fun man. I can't wait to get there to see how this works out.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Quote Originally Posted by rob112

Should be fun man. I can't wait to get there to see how this works out.
    I bet bro. I'm certain you'll be hitting new PR's.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Week 9: Day 2- Explosive bench

Bench: 2x5-205 (30 sec between sets)

I ignored the percentages today. I chose a weight I knew i could move explosively. That's another thing I don't understand about the cube. Why does explosive days keep increasing by so much? I know on explosive DL day 1 I was doing around 295, and by day 3 I was doing 365. That's a hefty leap, especially when your #1 goal is explosiveness.

DB incline: 15x3- 70's

Banded press-downs:
    2 onx mini x20
    2 onx mini x15/5 (RP)
    1 onx mini x30

Standing DB military: 10x3- 50's

Pec-deck: 15x3- 150

DB row: 8x3
    70x8
    75x8x2

All reps performed w/ a good stretch at bottom, hard squeeze at top, and slow eccentric.

Felt good today. Kept rest between sets to a minimum. I really wanted to perform my BP reps as efficiently as I could since this is my last BP day before max outs. All in all a productive session.

Uploading video. I believe you guys will see a good increase in speed from my first explosive bench day.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Finally uploaded.

http://youtu.be/PUZ98AojIcI
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.37%

Finally uploaded.

http://youtu.be/PUZ98AojIcI
    Good speed for sure. I'd pause the bar on your chest or a board for a second though
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post

Good speed for sure. I'd pause the bar on your chest or a board for a second though
    Any reason you say that?

I know Louie Simmons isn't a fan of pausing on the bench press during training.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.37%

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

Any reason you say that?

I know Louie Simmons isn't a fan of pausing on the bench press during training.
    I guess I didn't know Louie said that. Disregard what I said then.

To me it kind of looked like his decent accelerated and maybe bounced off his chest a TINY bit.

That's why I suggested that.

Edit: after watching it again, I don't think he's bouncing it..
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.97%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I would get used to a competition length pause
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Honestly, I didn't know Louie said that, but I didn't think I was bouncing either. What is the normal competition pause length, 1 sec or so?
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.62%

Honestly, I didn't know Louie said that, but I didn't think I was bouncing either. What is the normal competition pause length, 1 sec or so?
    When the weight stops moving...can be half a second, can be 3 seconds. Also varies by federations and judges from videos I've seen.
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Its in the BoM. Have none of you read it?

Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.97%

I've read it. I believe he meant more of a pause as in how we do pause squats. I was under the understanding that he didnt want the bar sunk into the chest and pausing it for several seconds. I do believe though, that a competition pause is acceptable, and almost necessary to train with, to where the bar is motionless and then pressed. It's a pause, but not long enough for the muscles to lose the tension, as every federation requires that. There's a big difference. Wendler says it doesn't matter if you train with or without a pause (competition pause). Lilly advocates pausing above the chest or right at it for a few seconds. The muscles maintain their tension as the bar hasn't sunken into the chest.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.89%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I've read it. I believe he meant more of a pause as in how we do pause squats. I was under the understanding that he didnt want the bar sunk into the chest and pausing it for several seconds. I do believe though, that a competition pause is acceptable, and almost necessary to train with, to where the bar is motionless and then pressed. It's a pause, but not long enough for the muscles to lose the tension, as every federation requires that. There's a big difference. Wendler says it doesn't matter if you train with or without a pause (competition pause). Lilly advocates pausing above the chest or right at it for a few seconds. The muscles maintain their tension as the bar hasn't sunken into the chest.
    He says that he doesn't advocate pausing on the bench press because he views it as unnecessary because the stretch reflex will remain for 2-4 seconds in trained individuals (paraphrase).

I was under the impression that he was more fond of the ballistic method (lowering as quickly as possible and reversing the movement before it touches your chest)

22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.97%

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

He says that he doesn't advocate pausing on the bench press because he views it as unnecessary because the stretch reflex will remain for 2-4 seconds in trained individuals (paraphrase).

I was under the impression that he was more fond of the ballistic method (lowering as quickly as possible and reversing the movement before it touches your chest)
    Well, I'm definetly not a "trained individual" by his standards. Wendler concurs that it takes away from the stretch position, but if trained and can remain tight- then it's up to the individual. If you train with a competition pause(which really isn't all that long), then your submaximal percentages should be based off of that.

Not arguing, just conversing. We all know I suck ass at bench.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.89%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

Well, I'm definetly not a "trained individual" by his standards. Wendler concurs that it takes away from the stretch position, but if trained and can remain tight- then it's up to the individual. If you train with a competition pause(which really isn't all that long), then your submaximal percentages should be based off of that.

Not arguing, just conversing. We all know I suck ass at bench.
    He puts a number in there for untrained as well. (Might be 2 for untrained and 4 for trained, I don't remember).

I don't think it makes much of a difference in the long run really. And a lot of it I'm sure just comes down to preference.

24. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Not bounce, but the hip drive/breathing made it look a little like it. I would just try to touch the chest a little lighter and explode, don't pause w/ the weight on your chest, hold the weight and then explode. Better for you anyways. Looked good.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.08%

For my two cents on this, I don't pause on my work sets ever, but I do for supplemental benching. I have always used the Westside style of dynamic benching, too. I think the big thing is it teaches fast reversal and applying all of the force immediately, and I think it's up to the individual.
    Training log:
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.05%

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    For my two cents on this, I don't pause on my work sets ever, but I do for supplemental benching. I have always used the Westside style of dynamic benching, too. I think the big thing is it teaches fast reversal and applying all of the force immediately, and I think it's up to the individual.
    I don't either. I just think for the explosive reps you would get more benefit from a very short pause and holding the tension. More than a touch. You are right about the applying of the force for sure. I think the pause and explosion would build more functional strength to carry over to a 1RM when you need that explosive strength to start the rep.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.08%

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    I don't either. I just think for the explosive reps you would get more benefit from a very short pause and holding the tension. More than a touch. You are right about the applying of the force for sure. I think the pause and explosion would build more functional strength to carry over to a 1RM when you need that explosive strength to start the rep.
    If I recall, Louie does the ballistic style for neural programming to hammer down as soon as you hear the press command. I only read it once, though.
    Training log:
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Week 9: Day 3- Heavy DL

Deadlift: 1x3
    405x1
    455x1
    495x1

All day yesterday I was thinking about how I wanted to hit 495 today to give me a confidence boost going into max outs. I was nowhere near 100%. My glutes and hips are still sore and I had to lift today a day earlier in my regimen than usual. My partner was also missing reps he would usually hit. I got 495, but I got some things I want to work on form wise. Still extremely happy I got it under the circumstances.

Snatch grip DL: 8x2- 275

Cat back lat pull: heavy elitefts band
    x25
    x20
    x12 (3 sec squeeze)

Smith shrugs: 20x2- 255

Video for DL is uploading. Might take a year because I don't have Internet connection at the moment. Waiting on them to come fix it.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Uploaded.

http://youtu.be/x5SYyhHAic4

Two big things I saw; I should have pulled my chest up harder, which would have subsequently dropped my hips lower, and I should have kept a neutral head position.

My sets leading to 495 were much more efficient. I think I tried to psych myself up too much because I didn't want to miss it. Therefore, I lost my cues and was running on my old erroneous patterns. I will use this as a learning experience for max outs next week.
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.05%

Definitely at least attempt to start with your hips lower, with your weight back more, and your back flatter. Fix that stuff up and you should be able to rip 500 off the floor like cake.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.37%

Everything he said.

Your shoulders are in front of the bar before you start the lift.

Your hips are quite high and you lose a lot of leg drive
  32. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.97%

All that^

Drive those hips hard to ******* as well. Good job. That's a pretty lookin 5 wheels.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Thanks fellas, I could tell from the initial pull everything didn't feel right. Barely any leg drive, and bad leverage position. I think my hips being so sore made it extra hard to lock out. The sets leading IMO were a lot better. Certainly felt better at least. I will start videoing them as well.

Anyway, today concluded my first cube run. Really enjoyed it and I know I'm stronger than I was 9 weeks ago. I'll be laying low, doing some mobility work, LISS cardio, and abs until Wed or Thurs. Leaning towards Thurs as of now. I'm hell bent on achieving some new pr's. We will see.

Edit: I know my squat and DL are stronger. Bench however is up in the air.
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.05%

So this next week is your mock meet?
  35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.97%

lift big!
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin
    So this next week is your mock meet?
    Yes sir. Going to be different doing the big 3 in the same day.
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.05%

Get some brother.
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.88%

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Larry Pacifico, but I just found out his gym is located 10 miles from my house. The guy won 9 straight powerlifting championships and set 54 world records. Seriously considering training there on occasions. It's an independent gym, but you can pay 8 dollars to train there each day.

Edit: Larry's son Jimmy who is 24, just competed and had a 2400lb total at 219#. Lol.
  39. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.18%

Just read through the whole log; I admire the feedback and dialogue it generates and how you all contribute to one another's progress, and of course the work you are putting in!

I wanted to ask, what made you interested in powerlifting and opt for The Cube as your training platform?
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.89%

Quote Originally Posted by SPLocal View Post
    Just read through the whole log; I admire the feedback and dialogue it generates and how you all contribute to one another's progress, and of course the work you are putting in!

I wanted to ask, what made you interested in powerlifting and opt for The Cube as your training platform?
    Sean and herder.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
  2. The Plan & My Goal...
    By 01yz426 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 12:55 AM
  3. "In the Zone": (My Focus XT review)
    By motiv8er in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
  4. Just enjoyed my first venture out of the house