Killn' The Cube: My powerlifting venture begins

Page 5 of 70 First ... 3456710 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

All caught up. You are a strong som-bish

You should put your log in your sig man.

Sub zero'd
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rob112
    All caught up. You are a strong som-bish

You should put your log in your sig man.

Sub zero'd
    Thanks dude. I'm getting there, my forms improving and the cube is producing results.

I'll see if I can figure out the sig thing.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Week 8: Day 1- Heavy Squat

Squat:
    335x1
    345x1
    365x1 (PR)

Squats felt strong. At 365 i started leaning forward a bit too much. To be expected at a weight this close to my 1rm. This is the most I've actually squatted, so I'm very happy about it.

Goodmorning: 8x3-
    165x8
    185x8x2

Leg press: 20x3- 220

Romanian split-squat-12x3- 30's

Lying hamstring curl: 50x2- 30

Back raise: 50x1- BW

These workouts keep getting harder and harder. I'm loving It. It's been 20 min since I finished and I still can't see straight and feel like ass. Going to get a big meal in me and head to work.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

http://youtu.be/rFJwbNI4bE4

Looks pretty bad; butt wink, falling chest. First time squatting this heavy and I know how to fix it, so I'll take it and move forward.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Squeeze your butt cheeks together once you've unracked to stabilize yourself upright before you begin the lift. You hunch a bit, which I used to do also. Chest up! And find a good stance that lets you achieve depth. Keep up the good work!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332
    Squeeze your butt cheeks together once you've unracked to stabilize yourself upright before you begin the lift. You hunch a bit, which I used to do also. Chest up! And find a good stance that lets you achieve depth. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks brother. I'll take your advice, you are the squat king after all. My hips were very tight. I don't think I was fully recovered from deadlifts Friday. Looks like I missed depth slightly, probably should have shortened my stance a bit also.

Another thing I noticed is I should have pulled my elbows under the bar more. I find its easier to keep my chest up that way. It's a learning experience tho, first time squatting under legitimate weight.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Edit: double post
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Keep those hips in it, man! I think about driving my head back into the bar out of the hole. You'll move more weight with ease if you keep your hips in the movement. These things are par for the course under maximal weight.
    Training log:
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

It can be a pain in the ass pulling out maximal weights and having to walk back, and regroup the back. Really gotta try to from the start. Great advice from these guys here.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude
    Keep those hips in it, man! I think about driving my head back into the bar out of the hole. You'll move more weight with ease if you keep your hips in the movement. These things are par for the course under maximal weight.
    By digging your head into the bar are you saying to tuck your head back and look up?

I know sometimes I find my groove and use hips to explode out of the hole. This time was not one of them haha. Learning, learning, learning..
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

It can be a pain in the ass pulling out maximal weights and having to walk back, and regroup the back. Really gotta try to from the start. Great advice from these guys here.
    Yeah no kidding, what I'd do for a mono.

Def a lot of knowledgeable guys around here.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post

By digging your head into the bar are you saying to tuck your head back and look up?

I know sometimes I find my groove and use hips to explode out of the hole. This time was not one of them haha. Learning, learning, learning..
    Nope, don't get your spine out of neutral. Make a double chin. Watch some mark bell vids and you'll see.
    Training log:
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude

Nope, don't get your spine out of neutral. Make a double chin. Watch some mark bell vids and you'll see.
    Ok cool. Ya, I've seen a video about it. Totally forgot.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Planning on making a trip to Westside in the next two weeks. Pretty stoked.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Answers

Planning on making a trip to Westside in the next two weeks. Pretty stoked.
    That will be badass.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52

That will be badass.
    Hopefully..maybe I can go 2 for 2 and meet Dave Tate and Louie Simmons? Lol.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Reminder to self: don't take so much dam.n stims before dragging the sled.

I wanted to get some extra work in today, so I decided to do some sled drags. I threw 100# on and drug it about 80 yards. My heart was racing faster than ever in my life. I started getting dizzy as fuark and sick to my stomach. So, I threw another 100# on and did 4 more.

Legit thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Then:

Banded side bends: 12x2
    Banded crunches: 20x3
    Palloff press: 12x2

Afterwards did a thorough foam roll session and stretching session. My hips seemed to really open up. I'm naturally a pretty flexible person if I stretch regularly. I can touch my forehead to my knee, when stretching the hams.

Another note, going to be experimenting with phenibut to hopefully increase my quality of sleep. I wake up 4-5 times a night.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Week 8: Day 2- RE Bench

BB bench: 2x1- 295

Can't say I'm too thrilled with my bench today. Felt great on my warm up sets. Smoked 275 like it was nothing. Then with 295 I missed my groove on both reps. Was hitting my chest higher than I would like, drifted torwards my head a bit, and also I would like a slower eccentric. Was using a closer grip than normal; ring finger on the ring. I'm stronger using middle or index.

http://youtu.be/qiB5k7UHWHs

DB Incline: 20x2-
    70x20
    60x20

CG bench w/ pause: 12x3
    155x12
    135x12
    135x12

At about this time my tri's felt like they were going to explode.

Pec-deck- 15x3- 150

Banded press-down: 80x1-onx mini

Cat back lat pull- heavy elitefts band
    x20
    x15
    x10

Program had military press instead of the cat backs, but I don't see the reasoning behind doing 5 push exercises and not 1 pull. Besides, my tri's were so pumped I couldn't straighten them out.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Video uploading.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

Dat dere anaerobic capacity

Man my arms would feel like they are gonna fall off...BRB RE Bench day I will go for that feel.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Uploaded
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45
    Week 7: Day 3: RE Deadlift

Deadlift: 1x2-
    455x2 (PR)

The program called for around 430, but I was feeling frisky today. I started sitting back more and pulling my chest up whilst pulling the slack out and there was def a difference. Felt strong and bar speed was smooth.

Vid to come later; waiting on my partner to email it to me.

Reverse band DL: 2x3-
    545x3
    585x3

http://youtu.be/PPNCPIj2DHk

Surprised myself here. Kept going up and up in weight. Thanks for the tip herder, sitting back and pulling my chest up paid off.

Olympic squat: 8x3-225 (ATG)

Lying leg curl: 10x4-
    90x10
    100x10
    120x10x2

Banded GM: 50x1- grey EFS band

Best session I think I've had. Intensity and focus to the max. I was absolutely worn out after this. Had to lay down for a while afterwards. Can't thank you guys enough for the help!

What's up man just checked out your log some nice weight there one thing I would say though is focus on locking in that lumbar and moving from the hip. In your pull it looks like your weak/hinge point is L2 area we want it all on those hips. work on expanding your air 360 and tightening down everything before you break the weight. Get your glutes active and engaged from the start and you'll open up a whole new threshold for progression. Also try to keep your head in a more neutral position don't let it shoot out into excessive cervical extension. Other than that keep killing it.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron

What's up man just checked out your log some nice weight there one thing I would say though is focus on locking in that lumbar and moving from the hip. In your pull it looks like your weak/hinge point is L2 area we want it all on those hips. work on expanding your air 360 and tightening down everything before you break the weight. Get your glutes active and engaged from the start and you'll open up a whole new threshold for progression. Also try to keep your head in a more neutral position don't let it shoot out into excessive cervical extension. Other than that keep killing it.
    Thanks, I will definitely work on that Friday.

I do think my hips are proportionately weak. Are there any other good exercises to strengthen them aside from; cable pull-throughs, KB swings, and BB hip thrusts?
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks, I will definitely work on that Friday.

I do think my hips are proportionately weak. Are there any other good exercises to strengthen them aside from; cable pull-throughs, KB swings, and BB hip thrusts?
    Lateral band walks, 45degree back ext, courtesy lunges, sumo deads/stiff legs, GHRs, etc. bring up the whole posterior chain. Also throw in some isometrics and pelvic manipulations (anterior/posterior tilting) to increase your proprioception and ability to fire your musculature to "get tight" before you pull.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron

Lateral band walks, 45degree back ext, courtesy lunges, sumo deads/stiff legs, GHRs, etc. bring up the whole posterior chain. Also throw in some isometrics and pelvic manipulations (anterior/posterior tilting) to increase your proprioception and ability to fire your musculature to "get tight" before you pull.
    Appreciate it man, you are a wealth of knowledge. I will be utilizing these ASAP.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Appreciate it man, you are a wealth of knowledge. I will be utilizing these ASAP.
    No problem those lateral band walks are gunna burn like a mother but you'll be hitting PRs in no time.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Week 8: day 3- Explosive DL

Deadlift: 2x5- 365

Weight felt heavy today. Body is a little worn down and wasn't moving the bar as explosive as I wanted.

Sumo DL: 5x2- 315

Wanted to get a little sumo in to increase my hip strength. Felt weird, but I expected that.

Snatch grip DL from bottom pin in rack: 12x3-
    275x12x2
    295x12

Close-stance pause squats: 8x3- 185

Didn't worry about weight, just wanted to get a good pause in the hole and explode the weight up as fast as possible.

Lateral band walks: 10x3- double wrapped onx mini

The onx mini isn't ideal for this, but I had to make due. You weren't kidding NY, these phuckers burn!

Pull-up- BW
    x12
    x8
    x7

Went with a more BB style on these. Squeeze at top, and slow eccentric. Grip was smoked my the end.

Body is feeling the hard work I been putting in. I have a difficult time backing off when I'm feeling a little drained. I'm 23 tho, I think I can handle it. I had to throw up like 100 bails of hay today as well. That's a workout in itself.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Week 8: Day 4- Body day

Standing military:
    125x12
    125x12
    125x10

These aren't progressing like I would like, but as long as my bench progresses I'm happy.

Lying DB extensions: 15x3- 30's

Saw these in a Westside seminar. Really works the inside of the triceps. Louie said that this part of the triceps is the main mover in the BP.

Reverse DB fly on incline: 10x3- 30's

Pendlay row:
    185x6x3
    135x12

Still getting use to the movement, but I like how explosive it is.

EZ bar curl:
    95x8
    105x6x2 (slow eccentric)

DB hammer curl: 6x4- 45 (as slow as possible)

Really enjoyed today. Switched up the rep scheme from past body days. Next cube run I will be switching up the reps every body day. I know my next cube run will be a lot better. Since I will know exactly what my squat max is and my BP max with a pause is. I think I over estimated my squat max, probably closer to 365 to depth on week 1. Oh well, not all is lost. Certainly have gotten a lot stronger on my squat. I'm hoping to get 405 week 10 to parallel. That would be a huge PR.

On another note: my body weight was 211 this morning, lol. I'm the type of person that can put on weight quick and drop it quick as well. I guess it is a blessing, but I really hate carrying around too much extra body fat.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

I completely agree on the shoulder press thing. I want it stronger but the overall strengthening for bench is what is most important to me.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Week 9: Day 1- RE Squats

Squats: 2x1- 335

Really focused on getting my hips involved. I think that should be priority #1 if I want to achieve a big squat. Def wasn't perfect, but I did feel like I got my hips more involved.

Wide-stance GM: 8x3
    185x8x2
    205x8 (PR)

Walking lunges (straight bar): 15x3- 80

One word; brutal.

DB swings: 15x3- 70

First time with these. Really felt it in my glutes.

Lateral band walks: 10x3 (both sides)- x2 wrapped onx mini.

Really focused on hip dominate movements in this session. Today I took a little more time in between sets. I want to make sure I'm peaking next week for max outs. I don't like that I'm doing heavy deadlifts Friday and maxing out next week.

I've decided I'm going to be maxing out on all 3 next Wednesday. I will be taking body day off Sunday and hopefully be 100% by Wednesday. It's going to be interesting to max out on all 3 in the same day with limited time between each. Def looking forward to it, I've been working hard, so we will see how if it pays off.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Video uploading. Probably will take forever.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Subbed man.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin
    Subbed man.
    Good to have you brother.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Finally uploaded.

http://youtu.be/hASfynHSX2A

Looks like I might have missed depth on the 1st one. 335 felt light tho. I just need to string together a few solid squat sessions in a row, lol. I can feel when I'm firing my hips because the weight moves with much less effort.

Herder I tried that double chin thing. Didn't do anything for me. I'm going to review the mark bell video and see if I missed something.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Yup missed depth. Not a biggie. Try bringing your stance in a tad and see if that's easier.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332
    Yup missed depth. Not a biggie. Try bringing your stance in a tad and see if that's easier.
    Thanks, yeah i really need too. I just feel stronger wider. Maybe it's a mobility thing? I see some powerlifters hit depth at only 6", that's incredible.

I need to figure my squats out. It's got me really irritated. I've got a respectable bench, and a 515 DL 3 months ago, which i would consider good considering I've been DL'ing less than a yr. My squat tho? Got damn terrible!
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks, yeah i really need too. I just feel stronger wider. Maybe it's a mobility thing? I see some powerlifters hit depth at only 6", that's incredible.

I need to figure my squats out. It's got me really irritated. I've got a respectable bench, and a 515 DL 3 months ago, which i would consider good considering I've been DL'ing less than a yr. My squat tho? Got damn terrible!
    Welcome to my life^

Squats are definitely the most technical IMO and can be done in the most ways.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

Looks like you missed by a hair. Fast descend. Slight GM action on the way up through the sticking point for a second.

Not bad though man. Close to solid.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Looks like you missed by a hair. Fast descend. Slight GM action on the way up through the sticking point for a second.

Not bad though man. Close to solid.
    Yeah, at the sticking point I almost reverted back to my old ways. I cued myself to get my hips through and it helped a lot.

I won't be happy until I squat A LOT more weight.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Answers

I won't be happy until I squat A LOT more weight.
    Thats what separates the men from the boys!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
  2. The Plan & My Goal...
    By 01yz426 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
  3. "In the Zone": (My Focus XT review)
    By motiv8er in forum Nutraplanet