Killn' The Cube: My powerlifting venture begins

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I've decided to start a log to help keep me accountable and track my progress. My plans are to compete in powerlifting after a year or so of structured programming. I have started the cube method by Brandon Lilly a little over a week ago. Certainly is the best/most challenging program I have done. I am running the program mon/wed/fri with Sunday being devoted to "bodybuilding", and weaknesses.

Current 1 rep maxes:
Bench-365
Deadlift- 515
Squat- 405
Note: these are the most I have put up, but my bench was done without pause, so I have lowered the 1rm In my program accordingly.

Here is a common douche mirror pic I took two weeks ago.

image-3172622009.jpg

Weight 205. Body fat I'm guesstimating at 15-17%. Body fat is certainly not a big concern of mine at the moment, but i thought i would post to give you guys an idea of where i'm at. I want to get my maxes up and then cut to the 198 weightclass.

I will be posting all my exercises and weights used starting tomorrow. I would appreciate any advice you guys could share. Thanks.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Almost forgot.

Supps:
Elite protein
Gameday
Compete
Dpol
Erase
Micronized creatine

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed. Strong lifts. I'm sure you have a stronger squat though.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed for another Cuber.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Strong lifts. I'm sure you have a stronger squat though.
Appreciate it. Yeah I'm definitely focusing on improving it, I know I have more in me. It doesn't help that I been using a Velcro belt supplied by my gym that pops off every time I squat heavy. Luckily I live 45 min from elitefts and will be buying a real belt Thursday.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Appreciate it. Yeah I'm definitely focusing on improving it, I know I have more in me. It doesn't help that I been using a Velcro belt supplied by my gym that pops off every time I squat heavy. Luckily I live 45 min from elitefts and will be buying a real belt Thursday.
My advice: Go train at EFS!!!!!

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
RE Bench:

BB incline- warmup (45, 95, 135, 165, 185, 205) working set 1x8 225

DB incline- 2x20 60's

Close grip BB- 3x12 135 (slow eccentric/dead stop on chest)

Pec dec fly- 3x15 130

V-bar press downs 1x100 50 (focusing heavily on form. Really felt the burn when I got to 60).

BB seated Military press 3x12 105 (felt like a borderline turd with this weight lol. Tri's were smoked, but I managed to get all the reps with the full ROM).

This session felt great. I'm really focusing on making small jumps in weight in warmups to increase work capacity. Also focusing on strict form and keeping a small amount of time between sets. Explosive deads Friday. Can't wait (Bart Scott voice).

Edit: I'm going to try to get my post up ASAP, so i can post videos and you guys can help me with my squat form. Getting out of the hole is my problem, but once I get the bar moving I'm golden.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Leavin EFS. Saw Dave Tate. Pretty cool. Prolly could have asked him 100 questions, but I thought I'd spare him. Lol.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's so awesome man. Talk to him at least? I'd be hangin around there like a kid at a candy shop

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well I pulled up and he look like he just got done flippin a tire. I asked him where the store was. Didn't even hit me it was him until I got inside. When I finished buying my stuff he was still outside. I asked if he was Dave tate and told him he was my idol. Ha.

I got to go in the manufacturing buildings. Cool stuff. I guess there getting ready for a big shoot with westside, so I'm gonna keep an eye out for it.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm gonna go to westside soon. I'm in Columbus all the time.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, life has been good.

image-1008145447.jpg

I got the belt, and bands that I desperately needed. As soon as I got home from EFS UPS arrived with my nutraplanet order. I received a 1300 check that I wasn't expecting. And on top of all that I met Dave Tate. What did I do to deserve this?

Headed to the gym for some LISS cardio, foam rolling, and stretching. Can't wait to try out a real belt for deads tmrw.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Cube, bro. You started it, now good fortune follows. Coincidence? I think not...

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha word. The cube is the ****t.

On another note, I weighed in at 200.00. Either the scale was off, or I been underestimating my caloric intake. I know i'm getting stronger, but it feels like I can't win. When I boxed, I ran 6-7 miles daily and couldn't get under 185. Now I can't get over 210. I by no means eat clean. I eat a box of pizza nearly every night. Lol. Looks like this guy is going to start tracking calories. eek.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Week 2: Day 3- Explosive Deadlift

Deadlift: 8x3- 305
Snatch grip deadlift from bottom pin in rack: 3x12- 225
Close stance squat: 3x8 205-(complete ATG)
BB shrugs: 3x12- 225
Banded GM: 1x50
Double handle lat pulldown: 4x15- 115

Another great day with the cube. I could tell the belt made a big difference with my squats. Helped me stay more upright and tight. Also the first day experimenting with snatch grip DL. Definitely challenged my grip.

Now I'm going to try and eat 4.000 calories today.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No shame at all in using straps for snatch grip with higher reps. That, or be a beast and use a hook grip, but that's painful.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I don't have straps, so that wasn't an option. I've tried the hook grip, but honestly it made my grip worst. I have huge palms and short fingers. I don't know If that plays into it, or I could be doing it wrong. I just used my chalk liberally. By the time I got to shrugs my grip strength was crap.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good session, man. I dig it.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright, so I just watched a video Mark Rippetoe made on bar position for squats. I been doing it completely wrong. Sitting it on top of my traps, and not squeezing my shoulder blades together. Can't wait until Monday to try the low bar position. So much to learn: I love this ****.

aceroni

Awards
Alright, so I just watched a video Mark Rippetoe made on bar position for squats. I been doing it completely wrong. Sitting it on top of my traps, and not squeezing my shoulder blades together. Can't wait until Monday to try the low bar position. So much to learn: I love this ****.
1. Subbed for cubin'
2. The low bar position really destroys my shoulders / chest. It's not for me at all

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure if you can see it in my video or not, but watch my setup (which gives me great tightness); I put pinkies on the bar rings and get under, setting the bar where I want it. Then I drive my elbows in & forward hard, and scoot my hands inward until I'm drum tight, bordering on uncomfortable. Maybe you can find something you like trying it. :thumbsup:

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure if you can see it in my video or not, but watch my setup (which gives me great tightness); I put pinkies on the bar rings and get under, setting the bar where I want it. Then I drive my elbows in & forward hard, and scoot my hands inward until I'm drum tight, bordering on uncomfortable. Maybe you can find something you like trying it. :thumbsup:
Sweet man. I'll check it out once I get a break from carrying concrete and lumber around for these f'ers

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Low bar squats are the devil. I'm going back to high bar. Still keep your back tight though.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Low bar squats are the devil. I'm going back to high bar. Still keep your back tight though.
Thanks. Yeah I've never really experimented with it, so I guess I'll see how it treats me. I been silently following your log. Sucks about the back, but I'm sure you'll be picking up heavy **** again in no time.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks. Yeah I've never really experimented with it, so I guess I'll see how it treats me. I been silently following your log. Sucks about the back, but I'm sure you'll be picking up heavy **** again in no time.
No worries, bud. I'll be back in a hurry. But low bar also causes problems with the bench and deadlift due to biceps tendonitis.

aceroni

Awards
No worries, bud. I'll be back in a hurry. But low bar also causes problems with the bench and deadlift due to biceps tendonitis.
I'm the same way man. Low bar destroys my shoulder

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Week 2: Day 4- Accessory

Standing BB military: 4x8- 135
Tate Press: 3x12- 35's
EZ bar curl w/ band: 3x12- 30+band
Pull-ups: 4x10- BW
TRX face-pulls: 3x12- BW
DB Hammer curl: 3x8- 45's

Nothing too heavy today. Just a little something to get the blood flowing. I was in and out in about 50 min. Looking forward to squat day tmrw! I feel like the handshake with Tate should add another 50lbs to my squat automatically.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Week 3: Day 1- Squat Reps

Squat: 1x8- 275
Wide Stance GM: 3x8- 155
Walking lunges: 3x15- 90
Olympic squat: 1x50- 135

Squat felt really good. Kept my upper back tight, arched my back, and spread the floor with my knees. Only problem Is I can tell my hips are tight. Other than that they went really well; certainly could have done more weight, but I'm sticking to the program.

Walking lunges were brutal. Especially before that marathon of squats. I had the mindset that either I was going to get all 50 reps, or I was going to pass out trying. Luckily, 50
came before unconsciousness.

Come week 10, I have no doubt I will have a huge PR on squats.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Come week 10, I have no doubt I will have a huge PR on squats.
That's a great feeling, isn't it? Wait until it happens, it's amazing. If you haven't seen Sean's squat PR, it was crazy impressive. 550 ATG and it looked like speedwork. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that a 25# PR?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's a great feeling, isn't it? Wait until it happens, it's amazing. If you haven't seen Sean's squat PR, it was crazy impressive. 550 ATG and it looked like speedwork. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that a 25# PR?
Yessir 25lb PR in 9 weeks and I had more in me. I said it then and I'll say it now, pause squats helped me hit that depth comfortably.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yessir 25lb PR in 9 weeks and I had more in me. I said it then and I'll say it now, pause squats helped me hit that depth comfortably.
I like Lilly's idea of leaving a little on the platform. For me, there's a mental edge. It gives me so much to look forward to next time. 360 and 525 are just PRs for now, I know that as long as I didn't get weaker (and I don't have to pull on a squat bar), those will get shattered.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I've seen it, I envy his squat lol. Makes huge weight look like nothing. I know my deadlift will always be ahead of my squat, but I def can close the gap. Form correction plus the cube will pay dividends.

Is it cool to do pause squats on dynamic/explosive days? I'm not sure if it would make a difference. The hole kills me. I squatted 455 on a box 3' above parallel 6 times, but getting out of the hole is a ***ch.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I've seen it, I envy his squat lol. Makes huge weight look like nothing. I know my deadlift will always be ahead of my squat, but I def can close the gap. Form correction plus the cube will pay dividends.

Is it cool to do pause squats on dynamic/explosive days? I'm not sure if it would make a difference. The hole kills me. I squatted 455 on a box 3' above parallel 6 times, but getting out if the hole is a ***ch.
I was doing pause squats every squat day, one time I tried them on a dynamic day with nobody to count . . . After reviewing the tape, I didn't actually pause. You gotta attack the hole, it's where 99% of raw squats are lost. Chill at good depth, but not resting on your calves, and then return.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was doing pause squats every squat day, one time I tried them on a dynamic day with nobody to count . . . After reviewing the tape, I didn't actually pause. You gotta attack the hole, it's where 99% of raw squats are lost. Chill at good depth, but not resting on your calves, and then return.
Nice, nice. I'm going to start incorporating them ASAP.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Heading to the gym soon for a lil LISS cardio, foam rolling, stretching, and abs.

Works got me burning too many cals. Woke up at 199. Very frustrating. Also could be the erase drying me out.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice. I can post vids now. Going to get a video of me deadlifting Friday to see where you guys think I need improvement.

Edit: Hell maybe even tmrw. It's only explosive bench, but I'm sure you guys can point something out.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice. I can post vids now. Going to get a video of me deadlifting Friday to see where you guys think I need improvement.

Edit: Hell maybe even tmrw. It's only explosive bench, but I'm sure you guys can point something out.
I'll tell you this; film every session possible. You want to establish absolute, unimpeachable form consistency regardless of the reps/weight. If you have a rep day breakdown, but you filmed it, it's going to help you immensely. Hell, I review my last set prior to my next.

Cube is awesome. :D

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any idea why it keeps saying it can't publish my video on youtube?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have to upload directly from the photo app, I transfer from iMovie to the camera roll.