Killn' The Cube: My powerlifting venture begins

Page 4 of 74 First ... 234569 ... Last
  1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    FYI-the 12 week program w/Brandon is $200.
    Cheaper than I thought..
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Cheaper than I thought..
    Yeah it is. I kicked it around, but I simply don't think I'm strong/advanced enough to need his level of detail. I'm still gaining with the basics, so would that be well spent for me? I dunno.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

Yeah it is. I kicked it around, but I simply don't think I'm strong/advanced enough to need his level of detail. I'm still gaining with the basics, so would that be well spent for me? I dunno.
    I would like the balance in my training, proper assistance planning, and the fact that I wouldn't be as easily injured because of it. That's a very reasonable price. There's a guy who's more expensive across the river from me, and he's just some guy.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    I would like the balance in my training, proper assistance planning, and the fact that I wouldn't be as easily injured because of it. That's a very reasonable price. There's a guy who's more expensive across the river from me, and he's just some guy.
    For sure, that's a SMOKIN price.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude

x2. For 200 that's def worth it. I was thinking it would be 3 times that. Tempting..
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Today I went to the gym and did some LISS cardio, abs, foam rolling, and stretching.

A little sore today, but nothing major. To be expected after a 50 rep Olympic squat set. I don't know if its the foam rolling, extra stretching, compete, or the combination of them all, but I'm recovering considerably faster.

I remember my first week cubin, I did squats Monday, drug the sled Tuesday, and couldn't walk right until Sunday lol. Feeling good and loose. Could use some more hip mobility tho.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

I think my long arms could be the reason for my hips shooting up too early. Might need to start the DL in a already higher hip position.

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...ong-deadlifts/

Interesting read.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.65%

From Mike Tuscherer:

Get on a 1" block, break the bar off the floor, hold for 3-5s, then finish the rep. You'll find out exactly where your hips should be at the start.
    Training log:
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Nice, ill give that a try Friday. Due to my long arms and high hips I know my starting hip position will be higher than most.

Also, I'll be pulling conventional and sumo here on out. I feel like my sumo will be respectable.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Week 6: Day 2- explosive bench

Bench: 2x6 - 205
    I wish I could have got videos, but I trained solo today and was In a hurry. Speed was much improved. I also held my air and stayed tighter.

Incline DB: 15x3
    75x15
    70x15
    70x15

JM press w/ chains: 12x3- used only 2 60# chains but left half of the chain on the floor because I suck at the JM press.

Standing DB military: 10x3- 50's

Pec deck: 15x3
    140x15
    150x15
    150x15

Banded face-pull: grey elitefts bandx15x3

Good session. Got it in fast and kept form tight. Weight keeps climbing. I'm sitting around 209 already.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Week 6: Day 3- DL HEAVY

Got damn I love me some deadlifts

Deadlift: 2x3-
    435x2
    435x2
    445x2

http://youtu.be/X9jf4jXrgoQ

Worked up to 405 on a 2" deficit. Man I tried my hardest to keep my chest up, but it's caving in every time I lift heavy. Would that be an indicator of an upper back weakness?

Also pulled sumo for 2 sets light to get the feel for it. I noticed in the video the bar was too far out in front of my shins. I think sumo could be my best lift if I keep working with it.

Sumo: 365x2

http://youtu.be/C2bMvqAH_IM

Snatch grip DL: 8x2
    275x8
    275x8

Stiff legged DL: 8x3
    185x8
    185x8
    185x8

Just focus on pushing ass back and slowly letting the weight down.

Pull-ups:
    BWx12
    BWx10
    BWx8

30 sec between sets

Behind back smith shrugs: 20x2
    225x20
    245x20

Grip was absolutely smoked. Gave my body a beating. My partner missed 405 twice, so I started giving him cues on form. He ended up hitting 405x2 twice. Then 415x2. Feels good to help a brother out.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.65%

You didn't take the slack out of any of those reps. When you jerk them, it's hard to keep the back in the right place. You have to get down in there and lean back on the bar until it feels like your hams are gonna rip off, and THEN explode up.
    Training log:
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

^ that
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

You didn't take the slack out of any of those reps. When you jerk them, it's hard to keep the back in the right place. You have to get down in there and lean back on the bar until it feels like your hams are gonna rip off, and THEN explode up.
    When your saying "lean back on the bar" are you implying keeping the bar on the shins before you pull?
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Lower back is tore up today. Didn't do too much except a ME cornhole tournament. On another note; I'm stressing out whether my deadlifts or bench are actually improving. I been training my ass off, eating a surplus of cals, but not sure where my numbers actually stand.

I guess that's what week 10 is for.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.65%

Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post

When your saying "lean back on the bar" are you implying keeping the bar on the shins before you pull?
    No, you don't have to. I start with the bar over the balls of my feet. But as I bend my knees, I rock back. You mentioned you want to try to have your hips high, and that's fine, but you still want to rock back into position. Think about sitting back until your shins touch the bar, and then try to drive your heels through the floor and headbutt someone behind you simultaneously.
    Training log:
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Week 7: Day 1- Explosive Squat

Pause squat: 2x5- 245 (2-3 sec pause)

http://youtu.be/ii9KCikTWwU

Damn power rack has 3 inches between pin holes, so I have to tippy toe it off the weight holders or I would have to quarter squat the weight off. Looked like I didn't have the butt wink problem and kept my chest up better. Anything else you guys see?

Front squat: 2x1
    245x2 (PR)

Olympic squat: 5x4
    225x5x3
    245x5

Leg press: 15x4-220

Reverse hyper: 20x3- BW
    Tried to Jerry rig a band and it didn't go as planned.

Cable pull-through: 15x3- 90

Zoomed through this workout with little rest. The entirety of this session lasted 55 min. My work capacity is higher than its ever been and I increased weight on every single lift. Also, did every lift completely RAW w/o my belt. Felt great today, which is surprising since I went to a wedding yesterday and drank at least 15 manweiser's.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.95%

Week 7: Day 1- Explosive Squat

Pause squat: 2x5- 245 (2-3 sec pause)

http://youtu.be/ii9KCikTWwU

Damn power rack has 3 inches between pin holes, so I have to tippy toe it off the weight holders or I would have to quarter squat the weight off. Looked like I didn't have the butt wink problem and kept my chest up better. Anything else you guys see?

Front squat: 2x1
    245x2 (PR)

Olympic squat: 5x4
    225x5x3
    245x5

Leg press: 15x4-220

Reverse hyper: 20x3- BW
    Tried to Jerry rig a band and it didn't go as planned.

Cable pull-through: 15x3- 90

Zoomed through this workout with little rest. The entirety of this session lasted 55 min. My work capacity is higher than its ever been and I increased weight on every single lift. Also, did every lift completely RAW w/o my belt. Felt great today, which is surprising since I went to a wedding yesterday and drank at least 15 manweiser's.
    The butt wink and falling chest are still there but much more faint. Hard to really see from this angle tho.. Not sure about knees.
    You broke your hips then kinda paused, then went down.. try to make the motion more fluid.

Also, lol at the term "manweiser"

Just keep doing more wall squats and body weight box squats pushing the hips back super hard
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni

The butt wink and falling chest are still there but much more faint. Hard to really see from this angle tho.. Not sure about knees.
    You broke your hips then kinda paused, then went down.. try to make the motion more fluid.

Also, lol at the term "manweiser"

Just keep doing more wall squats and body weight box squats pushing the hips back super hard
    Thanks brother. When I'm breaking my hips I'm actually arching my back to get in position to squat. I guess I should keep that position throughout?

I'm actually pleased with how my squat is progressing. It has improved the most throughout this cube run.

I still need to work on staying tight/holding my arch, and using leg drive on bench. Also, sitting back on DL's. It's a lot harder when you know a lot more than your partner and have to cue yourself. Oh well, I've got all the time in the world and will keep chipping away, hopefully taking a small step forward each day.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.95%

Thanks brother. When I'm breaking my hips I'm actually arching my back to get in position to squat. I guess I should keep that position throughout?

I'm actually pleased with how my squat is progressing. It has improved the most throughout this cube run.

I still need to work on staying tight/holding my arch, and using leg drive on bench. Also, sitting back on DL's. It's a lot harder when you know a lot more than your partner and have to cue yourself. Oh well, I've got all the time in the world and will keep chipping away, hopefully taking a small step forward each day.
    Yeah you should move those j hooks one set lower, and arch the bar out of the rack.

That or find some mats to stand on for the higher setting.

do not tip toe the bar out
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Week 7: Day 2- Heavy bench

Floor press: 1x3
    295x1
    305x1
    315x1

These were all tough reps. I made sure I had a 1 sec pause on the ground. The bar started drifting towards my head on the last two sets. Didn't get vids because I'm lying about the weight. Really was using 135, lol.

BB bench:
    205x14
    205x9

Paused every rep. I'm no longer going to care about weight, but to execute efficient reps. I kept my body tight for all the reps. Also, noticed a big difference from pushing through my heels off my chest. Thanks ace. I was down reps on this particular exercise from the last heavy bench. I do not contribute it to getting weaker; more like using better form and floor presses being taxing as hell.

Cat-back lat pulls: Blue elitefts band
    x25
    x15
    x14
    Showed my buddy from Columbus these. We were both hurting and loving it.

Triceps press-down: 2 onx mini
    x25
    x20
    x15

BB shrugs: 15x3- 225

OH press:
    115x12
    95x12
    95x8/4 rest pause

Showed my buddy what the cube was about and now he's having me write him my 9 week template. Really pushed the pace and kept intensity high. Couldn't let him think his program is more challenging. This workout coupled with waking up at 4:30 has left me absolutely drained. Today was a huge success.

Edit: Floor presses are harder for me than reg bench. The ROM is not much shorter and I can't use leg drive.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.95%

Week 7: Day 2- Heavy bench

Floor press: 1x3
    295x1
    305x1
    315x1

These were all tough reps. I made sure I had a 1 sec pause on the ground. The bar started drifting towards my head on the last two sets. Didn't get vids because I'm lying about the weight. Really was using 135, lol.

BB bench:
    205x14
    205x9

Paused every rep. I'm no longer going to care about weight, but to execute efficient reps. I kept my body tight for all the reps. Also, noticed a big difference from pushing through my heels off my chest. Thanks ace. I was down reps on this particular exercise from the last heavy bench. I do not contribute it to getting weaker; more like using better form and floor presses being taxing as hell.

Cat-back lat pulls: Blue elitefts band
    x25
    x15
    x14
    Showed my buddy from Columbus these. We were both hurting and loving it.

Triceps press-down: 2 onx mini
    x25
    x20
    x15

BB shrugs: 15x3- 225

OH press:
    115x12
    95x12
    95x8/4 rest pause

Showed my buddy what the cube was about and now he's having me write him my 9 week template. Really pushed the pace and kept intensity high. Couldn't let him think his program is more challenging. This workout coupled with waking up at 4:30 has left me absolutely drained. Today was a huge success.

Edit: Floor presses are harder for me than reg bench. The ROM is not much shorter and I can't use leg drive.
    Glad you got that leg drive down brother.

I hate floor presses, I feel like I just can't get my upper back as tight, nor can I have any arch
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%

Good job on the pressing man. Jealous! Keep up the work.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.65%

That's some serious floor pressing, my man!
    Training log:
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%

That's funny; I like floor presses because I spent so many years benching incorrectly, so the lack of leg drive doesn't affect me much.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni

Glad you got that leg drive down brother.

I hate floor presses, I feel like I just can't get my upper back as tight, nor can I have any arch
    Yeah man, for the first time in my life I felt the bench press work my legs. Felt different, but my bar speed increased noticeably.
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332
    Good job on the pressing man. Jealous! Keep up the work.
    Don't even give me that dude. I want your squat!
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

That's some serious floor pressing, my man!
    Thanks brother. Program called for something like; 310, 320, 330. Wasn't happening ha. I'm happy where I ended up tho.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52
    That's funny; I like floor presses because I spent so many years benching incorrectly, so the lack of leg drive doesn't affect me much.
    I've only floor pressed a handful of times, so it's weird for me. Def harder for me to stay on my traps and hold my arch.

Get your leg drive down and you'll be benching an ass ton.
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Today:

Walked on treadmill 20 min at 4mph on a slight incline.

Banded crunches: 30x3

Hanging knee raises: 10x3

Banded kettle-bell side bends: 12x2

Palloff press: 12x2

Finished with a decent foam roll sess.

I've decided I'm going to run a few more cube cycles, last of which will be constructed by Lilly, then have my first real competition. I think this will give me enough time to hammer down my form and get my numbers up.

Until then I will keep busting ass and learning more and more. My quest to retard strength will continue.
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.13%

get it man
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  32. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.11%

Figured I might as well start following along here as well. Nice log from what I have seen so far.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10
    Figured I might as well start following along here as well. Nice log from what I have seen so far.
    Welcome brother. Glad to have you.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Week 7: Day 3: RE Deadlift

Deadlift: 1x2-
    455x2 (PR)

The program called for around 430, but I was feeling frisky today. I started sitting back more and pulling my chest up whilst pulling the slack out and there was def a difference. Felt strong and bar speed was smooth.

Vid to come later; waiting on my partner to email it to me.

Reverse band DL: 2x3-
    545x3
    585x3

http://youtu.be/PPNCPIj2DHk

Surprised myself here. Kept going up and up in weight. Thanks for the tip herder, sitting back and pulling my chest up paid off.

Olympic squat: 8x3-225 (ATG)

Lying leg curl: 10x4-
    90x10
    100x10
    120x10x2

Banded GM: 50x1- grey EFS band

Best session I think I've had. Intensity and focus to the max. I was absolutely worn out after this. Had to lay down for a while afterwards. Can't thank you guys enough for the help!
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%

That's a GREAT session, kid. Keep it up!
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

http://youtu.be/PPNCPIj2DHk

Reverse band: 585x3

First one was the worst one, but the final 2 looked solid/better. I think I could have done 600x3.
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52
    That's a GREAT session, kid. Keep it up!
    Thanks man. Def feeling better about my DL.
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.65%

Hell yeah, man! That's good stuff.
    Training log:
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Week 7: Day 4- Body day

Seated press: 8x3-
    135x8
    155x8x2

Side lateral: 15x3- 25's

Banded tri extension: 2 onx mini-
    x30
    x25
    x20

Pendlay row: 8x3-
    135x8
    155x8
    165x8

First time trying these, really liked them.

Banded slider curl: 15x3- weight unimportant

Banded face-pull: 20x3- 2 onx mini's

Had a good session considering I was out until 4:30 in the morning drinking and worked out at 9. My buddy was back in town from the Marine Corps before his deployment. We went to the Reds game and out after, def had a good time. He's a wild little phucker, lol.
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Any of you guys try the chair deadlift? Thinking about trying em out.

http://youtu.be/DnEsI7uf4f0

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
  2. The Plan & My Goal...
    By 01yz426 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 12:55 AM
  3. "In the Zone": (My Focus XT review)
    By motiv8er in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM