16 Weeks to APF TX Challenge - AnabolicMinds.com

16 Weeks to APF TX Challenge

Page 1 of 12 1236 ... Last
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

16 Weeks to APF TX Challenge

After the meet last weekend, I'm starting to get back into the swing of things. I've had a big change in my schedule and will have to adapt to that, but I'm already planning for everything to get prepped for my next meet. This initial stretch will be an extended accumulation phase block style as I really, really need to get my work capacity up again. I noticed that it was lowered as the meet approached and knew that it would need to be my initial focus to get back into shape.

4/17 Upper

Floor Press
    210x6, 210x6, 210x7

DB Rows
    145x15

Dips
    BWx10
    BW+25x8
    BW+25x7

Facepulls/Pressdowns
    100x15x3/80x15x3

I knew that I was out of shape, but I had no idea how bad it had gotten. I managed to knock all of this out in about 50 minutes, but I was breathing heavily nearly the entire time. I also started IF again on Monday to slash off some fat and since I can fit it into my schedule while I'm doing (primarily) raw training. Weighed in 220 lbs yesterday and hope to get to 208-210 lbs by early June if not earlier to hopefully compete at 198 for this next meet.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

4/19 Upper

CG Incline
    185x6, 185x6, 185x7

HS Rows (pronated)
    135x12x3

DB Shoulder Press
    60x12
    70x10x2

Tate Press/Pullapart series (mini)
    30x15x3/10x3

I went a bit slower during this session since the rest period between upper body sessions was less than my body is accustomed to and not go into each set already fatigued. My strength wasn't actually that bad, but I kept the volume on the low side to get in some work yet avoid taxing the CNS. I'll get back to squats on Sunday and skipped my normal mid-week lower body session to give my legs more time to rest, which is also why I haven't benched during either of these days.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

4/21 Lower

Cambered Low Box Squat
    225x6x3

Cambered GM
    135x15x3

DB Shrugs
    75x15
    85x15

I'm starting very low on the volume and weight to ease my body back into everything. My legs still don't feel underneath me, but I'm getting there.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Subbed
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

4/23 Upper

Bench
    225x6x2
    225x7

Meadows Rows
    90x15
    115x12x2

Flat DB Press
    70x15 (didn't feel right)

Incline DB Press
    65x10x2

Rolling Tricep Ex/Band External Rotations (mini)
    30x15/15
    30x12/15
    30x11/15

After this, I can tell that my legs aren't completely back underneath me as I didn't have the same pop that I usually do and had to muscle the weight up more than normal. I've also implemented some of the techniques that Donnie Thompson showed us at the meet regarding humeral health and mobility and I can already tell a huge difference. Although my muscular endurance is down a lot, I can already tell a difference in recovery between sets.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Never heard of him but I just got caught up watching a bunch of suoerDTV and man, saw all kinds of mobility work I've never seen. Thanks for mentioning the guy. He seems pretty funny too. Excellent stuff.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Never heard of him but I just got caught up watching a bunch of suoerDTV and man, saw all kinds of mobility work I've never seen. Thanks for mentioning the guy. He seems pretty funny too. Excellent stuff.
    He's also the only person to ever break the 3000lb total.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

He's also the only person to ever break the 3000lb total.
    I saw that in one of the videos. Some world record bench and squats. The guy is a monster, and he is still in good health.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I saw that in one of the videos. Some world record bench and squats. The guy is a monster, and he is still in good health.
    He's still a monster of a man, but has lost a good amount of weight since he stopped competing. I wasn't sure what he'd be like as a person, but he was extremely nice to everyone and took pictures with everyone.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

He's still a monster of a man, but has lost a good amount of weight since he stopped competing. I wasn't sure what he'd be like as a person, but he was extremely nice to everyone and took pictures with everyone.
    Thats awesome
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

4/24 Lower

Conventional Pulls
    315x6x3
    405x3

Walking DB Lunges
    50x10x4

Standing Cable Crunches/DB Shrugs
    110x15x3/80x15x2

DB Side Bends
    70x15x2

Hypers
    BW+45x15x2

I decided to go with some conventional pulls today as I haven't done them in a long time and want to attack as much as possible during this extended accumulation phase. As weird as this sounds, I really struggled finding my groove with these and didn't really lock in until the last set of 315. Unfortunately, either my belt pinched or I strained my lower abs on the last set and called it. Either way, I've found a weakness that I need to address that will not only add for some variety, it'll give my hips some extra recovery as these aren't nearly as taxing to the hips as sumo. Plus, Schwab and other sumo guys recommend implementing both. Everything else went well even though I was quite tired by the end.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Not sure how I missed your log. Will be following along for sure man.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

My belt pinches hard when I pull conventional. Usually it leaves bruises. I spin mine around so that the latch is in the back and get it as high on my waist as possible. I definitely agree that everyone should work their weaker deadlift variation.
    Training log:
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Do you pull sumo in comp just for decreased ROM or has that always been your most comfortable pull?
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Do you pull sumo in comp just for decreased ROM or has that always been your most comfortable pull?
    I'm built to pull sumo.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

I did some of the shoulder warm up today from superDTV and man that is good stuff. I had to use both my monster mini bands bc I don't have thick bands like that.

Did he show you the hip stuff he does? Have you tried it?
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I did some of the shoulder warm up today from superDTV and man that is good stuff. I had to use both my monster mini bands bc I don't have thick bands like that.

Did he show you the hip stuff he does? Have you tried it?
    He didn't show us the hip stuff, but it's very similar to the shoulder stuff since they're very similar joints. The adjustments that the shoulder mobility has made is already making a big difference in terms of relief of my impingement of my right delt.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

This showed up quietly. Subbed.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

4/26 Upper

Wide Floor Press
    225x8
    245x8
    265x6

DB Shoulder Press
    60x15
    70x10
    70x8
    70x8

HS Row (neutral grip)
    135x15
    160x10
    160x10
    180x10

WY/Pressdowns
    15x8/90x15
    15x8/90x15

Facepulls
    90x15x2

I'm really starting to get my volume and intraset recovery back to where it was. Going into this next meet, I'm not going to cut back nearly as much in the accessory work to keep the GPP high and to be better prepared for the length of the meet. I kinda surprised myself on the floor press as I haven't done a wide grip on it in awhile and I wasn't expected my number to be that high.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Index on the ring wide? I'm forcing myself to keep a medium/narrow grip here on out.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Index on the ring wide? I'm forcing myself to keep a medium/narrow grip here on out.
    Yeah. The funny part is that the ROM on floor press is actually longer than my bench because of my arch.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

4/28 Lower

SSB Box Squat (+100# chain)
    225x5x4

SSB GM (+100# chain)
    185x10
    225x10x3

Unilateral Leg Press/DB Shrugs
    360x10x3/80x15x2
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Sub'd - to learn more
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

In your experience, how much arch is too much? I can get a pretty excessive arch, and with pinkie on the ring (my most comfortable grip) the ROM is laughable; even without the excessive arch. It almost feels like I'm cheating when I bench...
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

In your experience, how much arch is too much? I can get a pretty excessive arch, and with pinkie on the ring (my most comfortable grip) the ROM is laughable; even without the excessive arch. It almost feels like I'm cheating when I bench...
    Lucky
    sean@ControlledLabs.com

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

In for some learning.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

In for the learning
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

Lucky
    You'd think so. Although, I still suck at bench. I'm guessing laughably weak triceps (well maybe not laughably).
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Have you seen the little Russian girl? No arch is too much.
    Training log:
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

Have you seen the little Russian girl? No arch is too much.
    Yeah I've seen it.

I wad more specifically wondering about in training, as opposed to competition. Wondering if it would be more effective to train with less of an arch than you compete with.
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Yeah I've seen it.

I wad more specifically wondering about in training, as opposed to competition. Wondering if it would be more effective to train with less of an arch than you compete with.
    Nah, if you want more ROM, you could always press with a cambered bar or a bow bar, or dumbbells if you don't have access to specialty bars. I would want to grease my groove as often as possible.
    Training log:
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Yeah I've seen it.

You should always train in the manner in which you are going to compete. Whether its gear, stance, grip, etc., you should always train (and use) your competition stance and grips. That doesn't mean to stick with only one approach throughout the training cycle, but your focus should always be on building your body to peak at a competition.

This is one of the reasons I side more with Lilly in that people have gotten away from basic barbell training and replaced it with too much speciality equipment. Louie believes you don't need to pull often, but there's very few great deadlifters at Westside.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You should always train in the manner in which you are going to compete. Whether its gear, stance, grip, etc., you should always train (and use) your competition stance and grips. That doesn't mean to stick with only one approach throughout the training cycle, but your focus should always be on building your body to peak at a competition.

This is one of the reasons I side more with Lilly in that people have gotten away from basic barbell training and replaced it with too much speciality equipment. Louie believes you don't need to pull often, but there's very few great deadlifters at Westside.
    As usual, I agree. Train your bench as you'll compete, then fill in with accessory work.

Minor rant, not directed at anyone here; have people totally forgotten why we do accessory work? I swear to God...we TRAIN to COMPETE in the big 3. Not in fuking accessory work. If you're not practicing training efficiency by addressing your main lift weak points, WTF are you doing?? I've never seen a huge bencher who is small, so why do people think additional hypertrophic training with zero carryover is critical??

Sorry, Rodja. I was feeling it.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    As usual, I agree. Train your bench as you'll compete, then fill in with accessory work.

Minor rant, not directed at anyone here; have people totally forgotten why we do accessory work? I swear to God...we TRAIN to COMPETE in the big 3. Not in fuking accessory work. If you're not practicing training efficiency by addressing your main lift weak points, WTF are you doing?? I've never seen a huge bencher who is small, so why do people think additional hypertrophic training with zero carryover is critical??

Sorry, Rodja. I was feeling it.
    I'm right there with you. One of the guys we kinda train with (he's flaky and shows up 1/2 the time) does endless sets of accessory work and completely ignores the purpose of training. He PR hunts every session and doesn't listen to anyone either despite him being the least experience.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Agree totally with these posts^^ The 3 lifts are trained exactly the way you will be performing them in competition so they become ingrained and instinctual. Accessories are just that: Accessories to the main lifts. These become more specific when the poundages get heavier and the weak spots become more obvious.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

4/30 Upper

OHP
    140x8x2
    140x6

Kroc Rows
    145x17

HS Row (neutral grip)
    135x10x3

Flat DB Presses
    70x10
    80x10x2

BB Curls/Dual Band Ex Rotations (mini)
    85x10/15
    95x8/15
    95x8/15

Tate Press/Pullaparts (mini)
    35x15/15
    35x15/15

Side Laterals
    25x20x2

I was definitely feeling it today. From the moment I stepped into the gym, I felt locked in and primed to ramp up some volume. I had more in me on OHP, but the shoulder was felling cranky (it was like this all day) and didn't want to do anything stupid. Everything else went smoothly and I'm really focusing on strengthening/stabilizing my shoulder girdle, hence all the volume that was shoulder oriented. I still haven't broken my Kroc row record of 17, but that WILL change in May.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

That's definetly the best feeling. Mentality can make or break a session for me.

I may have to see what I can whip up for Kroc Rows. I don't think I've gone past 130
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

edit: making a thread somewhere else. This is a log.
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Nothing better than walking in the gym and feeling great. You running any supplements right now Rodja?
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Those Kroc Row numbers are huge man. Solid freaking workout volume too.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 10 weeks to APF TX State
    By Rodja in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 07:18 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 03:06 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 11:42 PM
  4. Replies: 28