Swanson-Cube Method to July Comp

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My last log went to hell; injuries, nagging issues, etc. I took a couple months off completely, started back up with 5/3/1. Lifted kind of off the cuff at an unsanctioned local comp for charity at the end of February.

Of course, since I wasn't entirely ready, the wheels came off and it was a pretty poor showing. I have been reworking my squat form for MONTHS since a back surgery, and on my 2nd squat attempt @ 440 I didn't sit back, I made depth but launched my freakin hips up HARD and immediately was damn near incapacitated from back pain.

Passed on 3rd, did a sorry 363 in bench and somehow managed to squirm my way to a 440 sumo pull for a 1243 total.

I should've pulled out after my squat, because I was in bed for 3 days, and it was a full 7 before I could dress myself.

I spent 6 solid weeks doing chiro, mobility, core, contrast baths, hot tub, etc. and I hit it fairly heavy last week.

So, following that diatribe; my next comp is 7/20 in Dubuque, IA. I'm a raw guy that's lucky my knees are quite healthy, but I might add sleeves. We'll see.

I bought Lilly's Cube Method, and I'm going to run that for 10 weeks, then maybe one last 3 week run before meet week, not sure.

Diet; I'm ~280 on any given day, so I'm just going to eat. I'll track macros a bit, but I'm not going to be anal about it. If I get hit with the need for Cold Stone some sat, bet I'm eating it.

Cube tomorrow-Deads, bitches!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Add-I'm 37 so I compete in 275 Sub-Masters. I'm not old like Napalm or Rodja. :D

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol. He's 28, ladies and gents. Count me subbed. You're gonna like the Cube, I guarantee it.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol. He's 28, ladies and gents. Count me subbed. You're gonna like the Cube, I guarantee it.
Really? I thought he was 40-ish.

Well, then it's just Napalm as the old dude.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's some serious iron being thrown around, big man. Have you tried turning your sumo pull into more of a squat? I can't really help with it, I suck at them.

You looked like you've got more in you on the pulls, too. Those presses were DUMB, though.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's some serious iron being thrown around, big man. Have you tried turning your sumo pull into more of a squat? I can't really help with it, I suck at them.

You looked like you've got more in you on the pulls, too. Those presses were DUMB, though.
You like how I stumble back with the 215 OHP? ;) I was not exactly tight for that.

I used to squat the weight up with sumo pulls, but I lacked violence off the floor. The lift was a grind from bottom to top, and it was just UGLY.

Thanks for the ecouragement...hopefully I can improve that abysmal total. :)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol, my 185 logs today caused some serious weeble wobble, so I know the feeling. My thoughts are: if you take a step and finish the lift, chalk that muthafuqa. Maybe not to be added to a strict press number, but I sure would've given myself three reps there.

I tried to clean 225 in my socks today. My feet slid forward about a foot at the beginning of the second pull. Bar crashes from 5ft up onto the suspended wood floor with my mom in the building. Fml.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol, my 185 logs today caused some serious weeble wobble, so I know the feeling. My thoughts are: if you take a step and finish the lift, chalk that muthafuqa. Maybe not to be added to a strict press number, but I sure would've given myself three reps there.

I tried to clean 225 in my socks today. My feet slid forward about a foot at the beginning of the second pull. Bar crashes from 5ft up onto the suspended wood floor with my mom in the building. Fml.
Dude, this had me in tears. That's freakin hilarious.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Heavy Day-deadlift.

SUMO 2-3" DEFICIT PULLS
365x2x5

I honestly didn't know what weight to use here. I've never done deficit pulls, I had a hell of a time setting them up for sumo, etc. Weight felt good, maybe 25# light. Noted.

CG BARBELL ROWS (one end of bb in corner, rowing free end)
3px12
4px10
6px6-prob a bit too heavy

DB WALKING LUNGES
+50's x 10
+60's x 10x2

FRONT SQUAT TO 16" BOX
315x6x3

PLANKS
BWx30"x4

SIDE PLANKS
30"x4

I'll do prowler conditioning & prob 30' of steady state tonight. Doing LISS simply to help increase work capacity. I'll get DL video up this afternoon.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just use the same weight I'd pull from the floor with, few lbs less maybe. That's gotta be a bitch with sumo. I've got zero issue movin weight off the floor now though so they definetly helped.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just use the same weight I'd pull from the floor with, few lbs less maybe. That's gotta be a bitch with sumo. I've got zero issue movin weight off the floor now though so they definetly helped.
It is a PITA. I wanted a bit steeper deficit as my weak spot is off the floor; can't stack plates, can't use a box or step. I had to creatively stack some rubber flooring & bumper 25s. Worked though.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hell yeah! Deficit pulls FTW. Just as long as it doesn't affect the movement. When I pull from my shoetops, I get a ton of quad drive and the bar jumps, so I can only do it from like 1" max. I'm going to try Brandon Lilly's paused deadlifts to help with the speed off of the floor. Break the plates off of the floor and hold for 1, 3, 5, or 7s. Should be twisted.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's my final set of the 365x2x5. Disregard the fatness.

http://youtu.be/L7e-CKQihHM

Also, gym is buying into the Crossfit type exercise craze, and this monstrosity was there this afternoon when I went to do cardio.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366061041.685233.jpg

Ugh.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is a healthy deficit right there.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Little fasted cardio this morning, and I'll hammer conditioning this evening. Nothing earth-shattering, for sure.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did the early morning fasted thing. Raining like a mofo here so I just did some HIIT on the elliptical, then walked on the treadmill for 30', HR 130+.

Got my acceptance letter from Arizona State yesterday; going to work on my Master's online there, and attend University of Nebraska Med Center locally. Pretty excited-haven't been in college for like 15 years.

I'll train bench this afternoon. Prob cut back on the carbs a bit today; I know I said I wasn't going to track macros but I do/did. 400g carbs is just way too many for me. I'll prob dial those back to ~250 on training days, ~150 on non and I'll introduce a GDA as well. Pretty carb sensitive, and am prone to fat gain when I'm eating them in abundance. I'm already fat enough...I should prob be competing at 242, honestly.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
damn... I've been awake for 3 hours and killed close to 160g.. you're gonna be hungry big guy lol

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
damn... I've been awake for 3 hours and killed close to 160g.. you're gonna be hungry big guy lol
Pistachios, eggs, steak & MCTs!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FLOOR PRESS
Bunch of warmup ****

255x8

I am trusting the Cube here...1 work set on rep day seems strange to me, but Lilly clearly knows being strong.

INCLINE DB PRESS
100x10
120x8
130xssssseeeeevvvveeeen. Grinder.

HAMMER HIGH ROW
180x15
270x10x3

Superset some curls & face pulls for the burn.

I was dog ass sick yesterday, and wasn't feeling that great today but IMHO I had a pretty strong session.

Now for my confusion; diet. I've been eating ERRTHANG, I'm holding weight at 283-ish after an initial surge of 3-4 pounds, and I feel awesome. Monday here's what I had;

M1-6 eggs, 1c egg whites, guac
M2-1/2g choc milk, 1.5c cottage cheese
M3-8oz pork loin, asparagus
PWO-protein shake, 2 PopTarts
M4-12oz ribeye, 1 sliced, grilled white potato
M5-Qdoba bowl w/black beans, pork, chicken, guac
M6-1.5c cottage cheese

This is a training day; non I usually cut out the milk, the PWO, and the white potato but the rest is generally the same.

Have I not been eating enough? I worked with Skip Hill for all of 2012 and dropped from 325 to 265-ish, then added back in some cals to get me around 275 for meets. With my injury I stayed 275-280, and that's where I am now.

Dunno, but I like it. :D

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's a video on Youtube by Bird Dog about building strength through warmups. It's a good listen. I'll link it when I have time.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I say eat more.
Ok. I'm cool with that.

I'm not ready to compete with the 300's though...need to add about 400 to my total.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok. I'm cool with that.

I'm not ready to compete with the 300's though...need to add about 400 to my total.
Hell with it. If you put up the biggest total of your life, who cares?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sqizzat day, son. Cube W1, Squats, EXPLOSION!

SQUATS
Bunch o' warm up.
275x3x8

Should've been 285, but I miscalculated the 60%; I calculated my 60% off of 90% instead of 95% 1RM. Oh well.

http://youtu.be/1DySaBq-FMY

SNATCH GRIP CONVO DEADS
225x8x4

I love these. I'm still going lighter, but I'm really working the speed angle.

LEG CURL
Platesx10x3

I also worked in a few sets of BW pull ups as well. Trying to get lat strength up

ABS
I also did some heavy, short burst prowler work as well. Really set the legs on FYAH.

I freakin love squatting right now.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Those squats looked pretty easy!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cube W1 Body Day

I'm sure I have weak points, but I haven't really trained heavily enough to REALLY expose them, so I just went in without a plan. Turned out well IMHO.

OHP
Warm up forever
185x12
205x10
225x6
These felt AWESOME. Not sure what happened, but I hit the groove @ 185 and just went for it.

FLAT DB PRESS
80x20x3
Crazy pump

DB CURL
40x15x4
More pump

SHRUGS...sure, why not?
315x20x2

I honestly had a bunch of fun today, really like the high volume for a change.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man, I know I ate a lot over the weekend, but my dry AM weight today is 292. I've gained about 12-13# in the last 2-3 weeks...WTF man.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man, I know I ate a lot over the weekend, but my dry AM weight today is 292. I've gained about 12-13# in the last 2-3 weeks...WTF man.
I think I gave them to you. I've lost 14 from a bloated-out-of my mind 240 this April. It was bad. I held on to so much water I had edema in my hands and feet.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I gave them to you. I've lost 14 from a bloated-out-of my mind 240 this April. It was bad. I held on to so much water I had edema in my hands and feet.
Ha! My wife is a nurse and when she saw the scale she said "either you're fat or you've got pitting adema". Guess I'm fat. :D

I might try and rein in the eating, but man I'm digging my recovery & strength. Maybe I'll add a couple conditioning sessions or something.

Just ordered a pair of wrist wraps and a Slingshot from EliteFTS. Thought about the football bar, but I've gotta clear that with mama. ;)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like the body days. They don't kill me but I still feel like I accomplished something.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the body days. They don't kill me but I still feel like I accomplished something.
See, I always felt that body days thrashed me from the weak point training.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
nice ohp's there big guy...
Thank you sir. The one lift I'm confident in.

I'm sure the body day will become a different animal as I identify main lift breakdowns, but training at <80% it's pretty tough to see since there's no failure yet.

I know biceps are one; I've spent about 20 sessions ever training arms directly. I just hate it.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm so pissed...I slacked off yesterday on the one thing I'm good at, eating, and my session was garbage today. :mad:

I ate like 2 subway sandwiches because we were returning home from a mini-vacation, and that's it. Then, like a moron I try to train fasted. Again, :mad:

Explosive deads, I guess.

285x3x8
Felt like 700#

Abs

Heavy loaded prowler til I puked my pre-workout. Why? Because I'm mad.

Done. I'm going to Qdoba and eating it all.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
**** I thought I'd never be back!

Yesterday I just ran through some mobility and LISS treadmill.

Today was going to be bench, but I felt like squatting. So I did

AM
Light prowler to get HR up.
LISS treadmill for 30'

PM

SQUATS
Bunch of warm up thanks to the video posted earlier. I mean a BUNCH. 135, 185, 205, 225, 275.
Working set was 335x8x1.
Felt awesome, pretty sure I could've gone 12-15. I'll bet I ended up hammering out 40-45 total reps.

SNATCH GRIP DL
225x10x3
Quick. Felt nice.

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
STACK (w/e that is) x12x3

Knocked out some BW pull-ups and backwards Prowler drags as well.

I've got to get a little more strict with diet. Had to go 1 notch out on the ol belt today. Not bloated, per se, but I'm damn sure holding on to some water, feeling a little over-fed.

No surprise...I've been eating tamales smothered in hamburger cheese dip for God's sake. I've been on a pretty solid carb binge; I'll probably start by dialing that back to 300-325 on training days and see what happens. I'm certain I'm getting up to 500+ right now.