Sean's Powerlifting Journey

Page 245 of 610 First ... 243244245246247 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I'm with Cressey on that. Percentages vary from day to day and it isn't a really reliable system.
    Especially when Cressey made the point, you're using percentages for an old lift. If you've gotten stronger since, then those percentages aren't exactly true. I still think they should be loosely followed, but not needed to be strictly adhered to. I never really used any %'s for my deadlifts the last 9 weeks because I never had a true max to use.

Doesn't Westside say to use XX% of whatever you believe your current max would be, not old?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Especially when Cressey made the point, you're using percentages for an old lift. If you've gotten stronger since, then those percentages aren't exactly true. I still think they should be loosely followed, but not needed to be strictly adhered to. Doesn't Westside say to use XX% of whatever you believe your current max would be, not old?
    There's so much out there about Westside that it's almost impossible to know what they really use. For ME, work I believe that they do doubles until they can no longer continue and then go to singles. For DE, I think use bar speed as their determining factor.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Especially when Cressey made the point, you're using percentages for an old lift. If you've gotten stronger since, then those percentages aren't exactly true. I still think they should be loosely followed, but not needed to be strictly adhered to.

Doesn't Westside say to use XX% of whatever you believe your current max would be, not old?
    Saying you're using an old lift that creates inaccurate percentages is, IMHO, really focusing on the minutiae and unnecessarily fiddling with programs.

I mean if I pulled 700 on the platform yesterday, then programmed a new cycle based on that, how can I project a max?

This is where 5/3/1 excels IMHO. Not feeling it? Hit your 3x3 and go. Amped the fck up? Start in with joker sets.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    There's so much out there about Westside that it's almost impossible to know what they really use. For ME, work I believe that they do doubles until they can no longer continue and then go to singles. For DE, I think use bar speed as their determining factor.
    I guess it's easier when you have Louie to tell you exactly what weight/resistance to use.
    [email protected]

5. BTW-I didnt think it would be hard to do those side lying windmills in that first link, but they were. Just when I find an improvement in mobility in one area (specifically forearm wall slides, scapular wall slides, and back to wall shoulder flexion), I find that I suck in another.
    [email protected]
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    BTW-I didnt think it would be hard to do those side lying windmills in that first link, but they were. Just when I find an improvement in mobility in one area (specifically forearm wall slides, scapular wall slides, and back to wall shoulder flexion), I find that I suck in another.
    Isn't that always the case? Not only in mobility, but in the lifts. At least you're finding things to improve in rather than thinking you're out of options and still have inadequate health.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

7. Incline log press and clean, how big was the log, 10"?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com
    All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.

8. Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    Incline log press and clean, how big was the log, 10"?
    Yup.
    [email protected]

9. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Yup.
    Noice, you always have access to that stuff?

10. Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    Noice, you always have access to that stuff?
    Yup! We have a pretty awesome bar selection. 4" Cambered, 14" cambered, buffalo, yoke bar, SSB, Texas power bar, Texas deadlift bar, Apolons Axle

I've done clean & press with the bar a small amount of times, and this was my second time doing an incline press with it. I'd prefer a Swiss bar for the incline, but this works fine and looks cooler anyways.
    [email protected]
  11. smoker145

Have you used Swiss for incline?

12. Never used one. Only used the log to take advantage of it's neutral grip and it's badassery.

@jimbuick @herderdude @NomZ or anyone: any good log clean and press articles? I think it'd make a good/fun lift for the weak point day.
    [email protected]
  13. smoker145

I thought Swiss was a little awkward for incline

14. Nothing for articles that I can think of. What I see as the most effective way to clean the log is to get it high on your torso and roll it up to the rack, then to press it just hit a push press or a split jerk with a ton of layback.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

15. I'd like a swiss or football bar for pressing as I do all my DB pressing neutral. Haven't seen anything but I'll keep my eyes open.
  16. smoker145

Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    I'd like a swiss or football bar for pressing as I do all my DB pressing neutral. Haven't seen anything but I'll keep my eyes open.
    It's pretty sweet. Only pain is if you go to a gym, it's lugging it around. It's actually a pretty big bar and that can be a little hassle transporting . But it's worth it.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Never used one. Only used the log to take advantage of it's neutral grip and it's badassery.

@jimbuick @herderdude @NomZ or anyone: any good log clean and press articles? I think it'd make a good/fun lift for the weak point day.
    Sean, fwiw, Benson owns a cleaning log, that he uses for strongman stuff. He may have some stuff re technique. What @herderdude said makes sense to me in terms of form, and as I recall, that's how I've seen experienced guys do it.

Still owe you a response re the joint force. Need to look it up.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate

18. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Cube-Upper Repetition

Incline Log Press
    155x8
    195x8
    225x7 + Titan Ram
    205x8
    155x10 - Titan Ram

Log Clean & Press
    155x3x6

Low Pulley Cable Row, D-Grip + Miniband
    130x5x8

Tri-Set
    -Rolling Dumbell Tricep Extensions
    -Low Pulley Facepull
    -Dumbell Curls

Light Banded Pallof Press/GHR Sit-ups

Quick day, in and out. The shoulder is feeling good and the log was a good pressing substituted. Hoping to squat on Sunday.
    Wondering, do you find the log pretty comparable to a normal bar? This looks close to what you incline with a regular bar, perhaps 10 lbs lighter (for same number of reps, right? I think the difference would be greater for me, i.e., that I could lift a fair bit more with a conventional bar.

Embarrassed to say, I dunno even know what a Swiss bar is, though a quick Google search could remedy that. But first I will say this: You see @smoker145, you're learning and already know more than me re lifting in some respects.
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate

19. Quote Originally Posted by jinxie View Post
    Wondering, do you find the log pretty comparable to a normal bar? This looks close to what you incline with a regular bar, perhaps 10 lbs lighter (for same number of reps, right? I think the difference would be greater for me, i.e., that I could lift a fair bit more with a conventional bar.

Embarrassed to say, I dunno even know what a Swiss bar is, though a quick Google search could remedy that. But first I will say this: You see @smoker145, you're learning and already know more than me re lifting in some respects.
    Swiss bar:

Name:  swiss-multi-bar-400.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  12.5 KB

Football bar:
    Name:  footballbar.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  18.0 KB

20. I can see the Swiss bar being akward for incline pressing. I would rather own a football bar for the neutral grip, though I can say for sure because I've never touched either.

Jinxie, incline pressing has been an issue for me. Incline dumbells=good, incline barbell=no bueno. The log let me tuck my elbows well and keep my scaps retracted nicely and was %100 pain free. My triceps gave out before anything.

I know Rob and Smoker got Joint Force. I've been laying a section of Saran Wrap after spraying it on my AC joint and leaving it for 30-45 minutes recently. I noticed a considerable difference in relief.
    [email protected]

21. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I can see the Swiss bar being akward for incline pressing. I would rather own a football bar for the neutral grip, though I can say for sure because I've never touched either.

Jinxie, incline pressing has been an issue for me. Incline dumbells=good, incline barbell=no bueno. The log let me tuck my elbows well and keep my scaps retracted nicely and was %100 pain free. My triceps gave out before anything.

I know Rob and Smoker got Joint Force. I've been laying a section of Saran Wrap after spraying it on my AC joint and leaving it for 30-45 minutes recently. I noticed a considerable difference in relief.
    I think both those bars look cool. But whenever I press DBs with a neutral grip, I need to go way lighter, or I get stuck at the beginning of the movement, from the chest. It's a little awkward for me, when going heavier. Edit: Like you noted, I suspect it's my triceps that are failing first.

It's interesting, but I have far less problems with incline than flat benching. It's been that way as long as I can remember. And my incline has always excelled relatively, partly because my delts are so much stronger and more developed than my chest.

I would be interested in hearing what you think of reverse-grip on the incline. It's worth a try, I think. That really forces the elbows in, and the scap to retract, at least if done properly.

I will check out the Jt Force and let you know if I am familiar with any of the ingredients.

Man, I have no alcohol tolerance now that I am so damn skinny. Had around 6-7 drinks from 4 pm until 11 pm, and I am a little hungover today. And all that glycogen sent my weight up by 5 lbs! My stomach hurt all night and I had bad reflux from being so stuffed while laying flat, partly attributable to eating dinner at around 9 pm, with dessert at 11 pm. That's how the Mexican posse rolls.
  22. smoker145

Swiss isn't good with incline IMO. It's pretty cool for flat. I never used a football bar so I can't speak for it.

Swiss is also good for ohp, rows are a little awkward getting up, but overall it's a good bar for sure
  23. smoker145

Reverse grip for bench I wouldn't want to do. I feel like it would irritate my bicep and be an awkward movement. Idk, that's just my opinion. Some people seem to like it

24. Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    Incline log press and clean, how big was the log, 10"?
    That's a small log.

IIRC most competition logs are 12", the one I use most often is ~13".

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Never used one. Only used the log to take advantage of it's neutral grip and it's badassery.

Not that I know of, but the way I was coached in it was this:

Deadlift it to the knees and sit back with it resting on the knees, you want it as far down your upper leg as possible (as close to the knee). Then drop your chest into the log and pull it as hard against your chest as you can. From there, extend the hips explosively, keeping the log pulled against your chest (you want it as high on your chest as possible). Ideally you don't want it to drop down your chest at all. From the rack position you want to be arched as far back as you can, hips will be fully extended to create as big of a shelf as possible, hands should be angled back. The way the wrists point is going to be where the press goes, so you want them pointed back. Dip at the knees slightly and explode up to lockout. It's easier if you "double dip" by exploding up and dropping back down under it to catch it at lockout.

That's about as good as I can do text wise, it's easier to coach in person lol.

25. I appreciate the info, Jim. I'll give it another go around next week and apply that. I won't be competing. Just want to use it as a lift to do. Just something different. I appreciate it buddy.
    [email protected]
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Powerlifting Journey
    By badwolf42 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 10:11 PM
  2. new to powerlifting
    By Sanosuke in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 07:30 PM
  3. Powerlifting Motivation
    By YellowJacket in forum Training Forum