Country Gets HUGE with 5-3-1, Erase and DAA.

Page 15 of 107 First ... 1314151617 ... Last

  1. If you're going to bench twice a week, I would probably alternate heavy/speed/rep/speed or something like that. When I focused on speed and technique, my bench took off. I have the training cycle that led to my 360 bench @ 242, on the day of the meet I was probably good for 375-380. It's called "My Attempt at Westside". I'm going back to westside after this meet, my results were too good.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html


  2. I should check it out sometime. I am thinking heavy/normal 5-3-1 monday and do speed work or light paused work on thursdays which is sorta what I have been doing.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    I should check it out sometime. I am thinking heavy/normal 5-3-1 monday and do speed work or light paused work on thursdays which is sorta what I have been doing.
    If OHP hadn't bothered you so much, I would have said to run your normal OHP day and put speed bench second.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  4. Ya that's what I wanted to do. IDK wtf started the issue but OHP definitely exasperates it. It's been near on 7 or so months now and I need to get whatever it is healed and get back to training it ASAP. no need to piss around anymore.

    Anyways check out my bench vid here in a minute, I focused more on neutral head and pulling my traps up and resting on them for a little better arch after this, and breaking the bar to get the pecs and lats engaged at the bottom more after I did the vid.... I should probably focus on form before lol.

    Okay video. Still not processing right and I uploaded it twice now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWFrD...ature=youtu.be
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  5. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    That's basically how I do mine as well. I drop them down until tension of my pecs stop the weight and then execute the rep with a push towards center.

    Sean, what stress do you mean?

    Next week I'm going for 1RMs along with normal work.
    I meant it doesn't hurt my shoulders to do neutral grip movements
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I meant it doesn't hurt my shoulders to do neutral grip movements
    Got ya. My shoulders feel awesome. It's right of my spine about 4 inches right at/around the point of the shoulder blade. and under. And in return my traps get super tight, and as a result.... chain reaction.

    I open my hands on DBs at the bottom of the rep to about a 45 degree to get deep.

    Looks like my bench video finally uploaded.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  7. Bench looked solid to me. Good pause, straight line. What grip do you prefer?

  8. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Bench looked solid to me. Good pause, straight line. What grip do you prefer?
    For BP I like it decent wide. I have my ring fingers on the rings. Narrower it hurts shoulders and doesn't hit the chest. Wider and I flare my elbows too much. I have the best forearm angle at that width too. Closes grip.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  9. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post

    For BP I like it decent wide. I have my ring fingers on the rings. Narrower it hurts shoulders and doesn't hit the chest. Wider and I flare my elbows too much. I have the best forearm angle at that width too. Closes grip.
    That's the same grip I use.

    Although, I've considered bringing it in closer.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

    That's the same grip I use.

    Although, I've considered bringing it in closer.
    I started narrower a long time ago and as my bench got bigger it felt better wider. That ended up being my sweet spot. Fast forward through my back injury and here we are again.

    I play with it sometimes but I always come back.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
    •   
       


  11. Narrow grip is often better off of the chest, but harder to lock out. Wide grip often wears out the shoulders (meaning the joint) but there certainly are guys that can bench wide raw. Remember, it's not about getting pumped up pecs, we're trying to move big weight. You can do flyes after you bench.

    Where's your bench vid? I haven't seen it.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  12. The video looks to me like you need to tuck the elbows more at the bottom of the lift. It's like Herder said above...it's all about moving the most weight with the best technique.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  13. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Narrow grip is often better off of the chest, but harder to lock out. Wide grip often wears out the shoulders (meaning the joint) but there certainly are guys that can bench wide raw. Remember, it's not about getting pumped up pecs, we're trying to move big weight. You can do flyes after you bench.

    Where's your bench vid? I haven't seen it.
    You should probably look for it then. It's a few posts of mine up.

    I didn't mean pumped up, I mean as in engages at all. Aka using the muscle.

    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    The video looks to me like you need to tuck the elbows more at the bottom of the lift. It's like Herder said above...it's all about moving the most weight with the best technique.
    Elbows can't go down anymore they are tight on my lats. I know you can't see from this angle. Of course it's about moving the most weight... Lol. And the best technique is why I'm consulting you guys. Elbows are tight at the bottom of te rep and flare slightly through the lift. I consider myself to use a medium to wide grip. I have trouble getting any soreness or anything in my pecs anymore. My tris always die out in training. So I have been hitting them more which helps but I guess I still need more or to involve my pecs more which makes sense.


    Anyways opinions on these shoes for squats. They are nikes. They felt good but were zip tied together so I couldn't squat or anything in them really. 21 bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  14. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    I didn't mean pumped up, I mean as in engages at all. Aka using the muscle.

    I have trouble getting any soreness or anything in my pecs anymore. My tris always die out in training. So I have been hitting them more which helps but I guess I still need more or to involve my pecs more which makes sense.
    This is because the bench press, as Louie puts it, is 80% triceps. Most guys will be limited by their triceps. Building them up is the key to big benching.

    I saw a youtube comment that said Ryan Kennelly has dwarf arms. He has very long arms, they're just so huge that they look short. Look at your top 5,10,20 benchers. I got to see one in person once. Triceps looked like quads and forearms the size of my biceps.

    When I switched over from physique training (Dunno what to call it, I was a 6-8 rep range compound move loving "bodybuilder" who never had plans of stepping onstage) to powerlifting, my pecs have lost mass and softened up. But my triceps have blown the **** up. And having less pecs hasn't hurt my benching as yet, though I always get back to doing DB presses and flyes the first few weeks after my meet.

    Keep building those triceps, they are the key my man. Especially since you're doing OHP as part of 5/3/1. The Press is great for helping you get the bar off your chest and up to where the tri's need to take over.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  15. Your third paragraph literally describes me exactly too. My pecs have gotten smaller and tris/arms bigger. Bench is close my best but I'm a lot lighter. Definitely gona keep hitting the tris but my big weakness is long skinny limbs especially arms. Only time and iron will fix that.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  16. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    Your third paragraph literally describes me exactly too. My pecs have gotten smaller and tris/arms bigger. Bench is close my best but I'm a lot lighter. Definitely gona keep hitting the tris but my big weakness is long skinny limbs especially arms. Only time and iron will fix that.
    I saw your vid finally. You definitely have some deadlifting arms! My arms are long, but mostly in the humeral region. Your elbows are below the bench when the bar is at your chest! My elbows barely come down to my lats!

    Things I saw: You lost all of the arch you created during setup when you changed your feet. Create the arch when you set up, and set your feet with the arch, then KEEP IT. You might have to dig your feet into the ground more to keep that arch. This will help you stay tighter. EDIT: Definitely dig those feet in. You're not using your lower body at all from what I saw.

    AZ is right, it seems to me like your upper arms are at a 90 degree angle to your body. Ideally, you want a 30-45 degree angle to your body. We might have to see a different angle to see what you're talking about, but that's what I see. It's not so much tucking the elbows (they should be all the way rotated down from your external rotation!) as it is pulling your upper arms into your body with your lats.

    Last, it seems like your forearms are leaning away from you. I'd like to see it a little more compact. You're trying to bench to your sternum (this is right) but you're doing it with your forearms instead of your upper arms.

    I know that's a lot to digest. The good news is that 205x7 is just the beginning for you. Keep filming and work on one thing at a time. I'd say start with that arch and full-body tightness.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  17. Man, I learn a lot of **** in these PL threads, I'll tell you that.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

    I saw your vid finally. You definitely have some deadlifting arms! My arms are long, but mostly in the humeral region. Your elbows are below the bench when the bar is at your chest! My elbows barely come down to my lats!

    Things I saw: You lost all of the arch you created during setup when you changed your feet. Create the arch when you set up, and set your feet with the arch, then KEEP IT. You might have to dig your feet into the ground more to keep that arch. This will help you stay tighter. EDIT: Definitely dig those feet in. You're not using your lower body at all from what I saw.

    AZ is right, it seems to me like your upper arms are at a 90 degree angle to your body. Ideally, you want a 30-45 degree angle to your body. We might have to see a different angle to see what you're talking about, but that's what I see. It's not so much tucking the elbows (they should be all the way rotated down from your external rotation!) as it is pulling your upper arms into your body with your lats.

    Last, it seems like your forearms are leaning away from you. I'd like to see it a little more compact. You're trying to bench to your sternum (this is right) but you're doing it with your forearms instead of your upper arms.

    I know that's a lot to digest. The good news is that 205x7 is just the beginning for you. Keep filming and work on one thing at a time. I'd say start with that arch and full-body tightness.
    Yes my arms are stupid long it sucks.

    I agree with arch. I don't know If our bench at my gym is low (it's lower than my bench at school) but I can't do flat feet and arch at the same time. I kept a small arch but the sweatshirt covers that up. If I leave my toes down like my starting position my back cramps and my groin/hips cramp as well. I still have issues with that and pain from my SIJ/spine injury. Whatever.

    By tucking I mean arms in against my lats. I have stupidly wide lats like I don't know why but they flare like crazy at the top, and as you saw my arms come way way down at the bottom. I just run out if room and my arms are forced out at that point. I think the only solution is to get my spine and hip mobility improved over time and get a better arch so I don't have the bar and I turn my arms coming down to that level. That should let me keep a better angle. Ill try to get a vid or pic to show you that Monday. You are right my forearms were off a little.

    I don't do pause much so this was a little weird. You do know this was Deload day right? PR is like 245x9 and 280x3 no pause. Hopefully with some form tweaks and working on my arch and using leg drive I can increase that some. Definitely a bit to digest but not too much. Most of that is stuff I know I have a problem with I just can't or haven't been able to fix/address. Lets see what some careful form work yields over the next few weeks. First step is getting a better arch down I think.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  19. Fashionably late ...
    Independent Review

  20. Those look like good DL shoes. Havent seen any of your squat vids yet but just remember that many grown men lack ankle mobility for good form in flat shoes. I really suggest getting some cheap PL shoes like Sean has if you dont want to spend a bunch but remember they will last a long time and the raised heel makes a world of a difference in form and confidence
    Independent Review

  21. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    This is because the bench press, as Louie puts it, is 80% triceps. Most guys will be limited by their triceps. Building them up is the key to big benching.
    This

    to me it looks like your elbows are def flared out a bit. Bring in your grip and put more emphasis on your triceps during the movement.

  22. I like a raised heel slightly for my pull. Maybe I'm weird. The flats were for squat. If I don't need em I won't get em. I left then at the store.

    No offense but a narrower grip seems to open up a can of worms for me. I think I more or less need to just keep the arms to my body like herder discussed above. A narrower grip is just gona make things worse unless I bring my arms/elbows to my body as well. If I can get my arms tucked more then I can try a slightly narrower grip.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  23. Got paid today, so went to order some stuff from NP... all the prices were up like 3-5 bucks. WTF. went with amazon and got free 2 day shipping and saved 11.43. That almost pays for one of the products I bought. Can't complain. Getting some dpol and slinshot from a good purus guy I know here soon as well I believe.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  24. Running D-pol right now and loving it!
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  25. D-Pol AND Anabeta here...

    I now have bacne again lol
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    I can't do flat feet and arch at the same time. I kept a small arch but the sweatshirt covers that up. If I leave my toes down like my starting position my back cramps and my groin/hips cramp as well. I still have issues with that and pain from my SIJ/spine injury.
    Fair enough. Gotta get on your traps, and gotta get full body tightness.

    Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    By tucking I mean arms in against my lats. I have stupidly wide lats like I don't know why but they flare like crazy at the top, and as you saw my arms come way way down at the bottom. I just run out if room and my arms are forced out at that point. I think the only solution is to get my spine and hip mobility improved over time and get a better arch so I don't have the bar and I turn my arms coming down to that level. That should let me keep a better angle. Ill try to get a vid or pic to show you that Monday.
    Keep in mind, guys like Jeremy Hoornstra and Brandon Lilly have their entire hand inside the rings and I can guarantee you that you're not as wide as 300lb Brandon Lilly. Dude was the widest guy in the Animal Cage this year, I swear.

    Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin4112946
    You do know this was Deload day right? .
    Oops, lol. Nope. Didn't know that.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  27. Hey ill try it narrower. Can't hurt. I thinking once my form gets better and my arch is right the narrower grip will be better. Know what I mean.


    I figured a gda is good cause I love carbs. And daa makes me angry. Hahaha. Dpol FTW.


    What do you think about flat feet vs toes.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  28. Flat feet vs toes?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Flat feet vs toes?
    On bench. My bench is hella low and the only way to hold an arch through my legs is to stay up on my toes. I prefer flat feet though.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

  30. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post

    On bench. My bench is hella low and the only way to hold an arch through my legs is to stay up on my toes. I prefer flat feet though.
    Whichever one makes you lift the most weight properly.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Doc getting huge with Xcel and EBF!
    By DocBrown in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
  2. Something to stack with Erase and DAA
    By BigGame84 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 03:22 PM
  3. Getting lean with the help of USPLabs and PES
    By Jonbero in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-13-2012, 01:38 PM
  4. Erase and Daa
    By madvillain in forum PES
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM
  5. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Log in
Log in